- Text Size +
Chapter 24

Nick started out through the window in his cell. He was beginning to become nervous. Brian hadn't come back yet and he hadn't heard anything from anyone. He'd begun pacing shortly after Brian had left, mainly from nervous. He was unable to relax. Quickly, his attention turned to the other end of the holding room when he heard the doors open. Brian was walking in with a police officer and Nicks lawyer by his side. Nick had never been so happy to see them before in his life.

"Mr. Carter," the officer said, "you've been released into Mr. Littrells custody."

"Alright," Nick answered as he shot a quick glance at Brian.

"He's going to be keeping us posted on what you've been doing or if you've started to do anything suspisous. He has been ordered to call immediatly or you will both suffer some stiff penalties," the officer explained.

"Alright, I understand," Nick answered, just glad that he was able to leave the cell that he had been confined to for the past several hours. The officer nodded and opened the cell door and Nick walked out quickly. As if he thought that if he didn't leave fast enough that the officer might lock him back up again.

"An officer is going to come by the house at random times just to keep an eye on you," the officer continued, "we must be informed of any trips that you might be taking or anything like that before hand."

"Sounds fair," Nick replied, just hoping that the officer would let him leave now. He didn't want to spend any more time there than he already had.

"Alright then, you're free to go," he answered as he walked the three of them to the door. The men walked through the lobby and stopped when they reached outside. Nick took in a deep breath of air as Brian stood, smiling at him.

"I am so happy to finally be outta there," Nick said.

"I can see that man," Brian told his friend.

"Gentalman," Mr. Hamilton said, "I'm sure that there may be a trial involved in this, but then again there might not be. Just in case there is, remember to give me call. I'm already familiar with the case and it would benifit you more."

"Alright we will," Nick replied as he shook his hand. Thankful for his help.

"Good day," he said with a nod as he began to walk towards his car.

"So, I'm going to have to stay with you for a while huh?" Nick asked as he started to walk with Brian to his car.

"Yeah, that was the only way I could get them to release you. They knew tha bail wouldn't have been an issue. They let you out in my custody because they're not sure if it would be safe to have you out on your own. I mean I trust you man, but that's what it took to get you out of there," Brian explained.

"That's alright with me. Anything is better than having to stay there. I don't think I would have been able to make it through the night if I had to," he joked, "besides, I don't mind spendin' some time with my best bud." Brian smiled as he unlocked the passanger side door for Nick and then walked around his car to the drivers seat. He opened the door and took a seat and looked over at Nick.

"We're going to figure out what happened alright?" Brian said to Nick, "We'll call some Private I or something if we have to, but we're going to get down to the bottom of this no matter what it takes."

"What if I don't want to know?" Nick asked.

"What?" Brian asked, confused by Nicks words.

"I mean that's part of my past and I want all that gone. Spending a whole lot of time tryin to figure out who it was that did this would be like staying in the past. I just want to move on and let it all go," he answered.

"Nick, I can understand that, but we need to find the person that did this. You heard with Mr. Hamilton said, there might be trials and if there are, Nick we need hard evidence that you weren't involved so that you don't get arrested again."

"Fine, the sooner we get it done the better," Nick replied softly.

"Yeah man, we'll get it done as quickly as we can," Brian told him and smiled. He started up the car and started the car and drove off in. Nick was staring out of the window of the car, watching everything go by in a blur. He was in major need of some serious soul searching. Everything that had been happening really made him about his life and that you really should get things in order. It was really scary that he almost lost his life two times. Three if you count the attempted suicide.

"Do you think Leighanne will mind having me around?" Nick asked after a few minutes, still keeping his attention on everything passing by the car.

"No, not at all," Brian replied, "I've already talked to her about it and she has no problem with it cause she's all for helping you."
Nick let out a long sigh for to him seemed like the millionth time. Everything was happening so quickly and he was afraid that he was going to mess things up again, like he did in the past. Kerry was the best thing that ever happened to him and he lost her because he was too stupid to realize what he was doing to her. Nick let a small smile slip upon his face as he began to think about all the good times that he and Kerry had over the years.

He remembered the first night that he met her. He was so scared that she was going to turn him down if he talked to her that he almost didn't. In his eyes she was so beautiful that he couldn't see her wanting to be with him. Or at least for the right reasons anyway. That's when AJ came in and told him just to do it and to talk to her. Nick was reluctant, he still had his doubts, but he went to talk to her anyway.

Things turned out a lot better than he could have imagined. They had so much in common that he couldn't help falling completely in love with her. They started dating right away and it was only a matter of months before she moved in with him. Everything was going great. There wasn't anything more that Nick could ask for. His career was at the highest point that it had ever been and he had his girl who he was madly in love with and had her complete love in return.

Then things started to go wrong. Nick completely lost control of his life. When AJ had to go to rehab, that's when Nick completely lost it. Yeah, he'd gone to clubs before and had a few drinks but nothing that could really hurt him or anyone else for that matter. That's how he was introduced to the drugs. One night when he had been drinking heavily, this guy had come up to him and told him how great this stuff had been. How it made him feel like there was nothing wrong with the world.

Nick didn't need any more persuasion to take it. He'd been tempted by the promise of having things get better and he was willing to try anything. After that night, he kept dopping the pills. Night after night he would take them because they did help him feel better for a while and in his mind everything was infact better in the real world. Then AJ came home and saw what Nick had been doing.

He knew from the moment that he walked in the door that something was up with Nick but he wasn't sure if he should say anything, or if it even was anything. Nick might have just been really stressed out by what happened and dismissed it. Then things started to progress and AJ had suspected that something was wrong, but continued to keep it to himself. Then the day that they had gone to Nicks house and found him passed out, AJ felt so guilty. He could have done something to stop it, but he didn't.

"Nick," Brians voice came. Nick looked over at him, the smile gone from his face and tears starting to form in his eyes, "are you alright man?"

"No," Nick answered shaking his head quickly, "I really fucked things up man. You would have thought that I would have learned from AJ and stayed away from everything, but I didn't because I was so fucking stupid. I had to be the one that went out and just mess everything up for you guys even more. I always screw everything up Brian."

"No you don't Nick. You're just learning like the rest of us are," he replied, "it's okay to make mistakes because we all do."

"But I hurt Kerry, I never meant to hurt her Brian. I loved her."

"I know you did," Brian answered, "things happen sometimes man and it's alright."

"I really hurt her Brian," Nick whispered as his tears soon began to become too much for him to control.

"Relax Nick," Brian warned, concerned, "everything is going to be alright. Kerry is going to get better I promise you she will. She's going to be alright, just like you."