- Text Size +
Chapter 25

Nick stared out of the window of the guest bedroom that Brian and Leighanne had put him in. There wasn't much to look at. There was just trees. Tree after tree and nothing more. He missed being able to look out of his window and see the ocean. Always relaxing and beautiful. He'd been at Brian and Leighannes for two days and he'd spent most of that time in his room. He really didn't feel like doing anything else. He just wanted some time to himself so that he could figure things out.

Nothing. He'd come up with nothing the entire time that he'd been thinking about it. The only thing he believed was that he'd messed up everyone lifes and he had this overwhelming guilt on his shoulders. He kept replaying what Brian had said to him in the car about it being alright to make mistakes but nothing could justify what he'd done.

There was no balance between right and wrong any more. It was as if all the negative was ten times larger than the good and there was no way that he was going to be able to close the gap. It was just too wide. Nick ran his fingers through his hair as he continued to stare. As tranquil as the scene before him was, he could fill his anger starting to build.

Someone was out to make his life worse. It was that person who put the pills in his bag, that was the person that caused him to have to go through all of this and Nick was going to find them and make them pay. That was it. That was what he had to do to restore the balance of good and bad in his life. The person that did this widened the gap and if he made him pay, everything would be alright. Everything would go back to normal and he would be happy again.

"Hey Nick," a voice came, breaking the silence that Nick had been in for the past two days. He turned to see Brian standing at the door, looking at him.

"Hi," Nick answered, still not really wanting to talk but he wasn't about to tell Brian to get lost because if it wasn't for Brian, he still might be in jail.

"How are you feeling?" Brian asked as he stepped into the room and shut the door behind him. 'Oh great,' Nick thought to himself, 'he's going to make me talk about this.'

"I'm alright," he answered, not wanting to give Brian any hints to what he was thinking.

"Are you sure? I mean you've been here two days and I haven't seen you yet man," Brian told him softly, "you can talk to me about whatever it is that's on your mind if you need to or want to. You know that right?"

"Yeah I know Bri, thanks."

"So, what have you been thinking about up here all by yourself?"

"Nothing," he answered, hoping that Brian would take the hint and leave him alone.

"Oh come on," Brian replied, knowing what Nick was intending on doing, but he wasn't about to give up easily, "something had to have crossed your mind while you were up here. Why don't you just tell me about it?"

"I told you it was nothing," Nick answered, turning his attention back to the window, maybe if he didn't listen, Brian wouldn't talk.

"I talked to some people," Brian started, "and someone told me about this P.I. I was thinking that maybe we could check it out and see what we can dig up." Slowly, Nick turned back around to face Brian. "Maybe that way we can find the person that framed you."

"Are you serious?" Nick asked, thinking that his revenge might be coming sooner than he had ever expected.

"Yeah, I have the guys number and stuff so I could give him a call and fill him in on the details and then let him do his job," Brian replied looking intently at Nick, "I could give him a call right now if you want."

"You should do that," Nick replied softly, "maybe that way they'll drop the charges against me and I won't have to go back to jail."

"Okay, I'm going to give this guy a call right now and see what's up," Brian replied as he started to walk towards the door, "I just hope that this all turns out alright because I would hate to see you have to go through all of this right now."

"You would?" Nick said softly, "it's going to be a bitch for me to handle man."

"Well, you're going to handle it man, we'll help ya, okay?" Brian assured him as Nick nodded and Brian walked towards the door and out of the room. Nick went to lay on the bed and think. His mind began to wonder about what was going to happen. He was at the point that he was willing to bribe the P.I. to put the blame on anyone. He just wanted all of this to end, at any price.

The price he was going to have to pay was too great for him and he wasn't willing to have to deal with everything that came as a result of it. Right now, all he wanted was for this to end, so that he wouldn't have to go back to jail. That was the last place that he wanted to end up. He'd already been there and he completely dispised it. Nick took in a shaky breath as he stood up from the bed again. His attention was quickly brought to the mirror that was on the other end of the room.

Slowly, he walked towards it. Unable to believe what he was seeing. This man in the mirror, the one looking back at him wasn't the man Nick had always seen when he looked into the mirror. This man had his light blue eyes clouded over with pain, anger, and revenge with the once white portion of his eyes now a dark red. Dark rings had formed below his eyes and his skin had become pale. His hair was a mess, it was sticking out in every direction. The longer he looked at himself, the more he saw how much he changed.

He must have lost a lot of weight while he was in the coma because he was much skinner than he remembered ever being. Frightening, was how to explain the transformation Nick had undergone. This was probably why everyone was looking at him so differently. He wasn't the man they knew and that scared even him because not even he knew the man that he was staring at. Only one action is needed to start a chain reaction.

Soon Nick' s hands were shaking viciously and uncontrolably. Never had he been so scared in his entire life. Was this what life had in store for him? No, it couldn't be. So many great things were in his future, he could almost taste them. Then.... he lost it all. He messed it up in one night of stupidity. It was because of him that he would not be happy. Tears once again started to form in his eyes.

Never had there been a time in his life that he would cry before now. There was never a good enough reason to mainly and partially because he was never a very emotional person. Crying was something that only the weak did, at least that's what he always thought. He wasn't weak, was he? Was this some sort of sign that he was once again losing control of his life? No, he wasn't going to let that happen, even if it took every ounce of strength in his body, he would never give into the darkness that had once consumed his entire exsistance.

Even if it killed him, he would never let that happen to him again. Anything that it took, he would do it, no matter what. As long as he didn't have to go through all the pain he was in right now, it didn't matter what he had to do. Almost anything would have been reasonable. Suddenly, he felt the grip of the demond. It was trying to pull him back into the darkness, but he wouldn't let it. He would fight to the death if he had to. Nick jumped and struggled with the strong grip of the hands on him.

"No! I won't let you take me!" Nick yelled as he continued to struggle.

"Nick," came a shouting voice. He cringed when he heard his name. They wanted him, they wanted him back. "Nick! It's me," the shouting came again.

"No, no, no! Let me go please," Nick said as he colapsed onto the floor in tears, hoping that these demonds would just leave him alone.

"Nick, it's Brian," Brian said as he knelt down next to Nick, "come on, talk to me. Are you alright?"

"I don't want to go back there Brian. Please don't let them take me," he pleaded.

"It's alright, I called the P.I, he's going to try and help you," Brian assured him as he put his arm around Nicks shoulder, hoping to calm him down a little bit.

"No, not them..," Nick sobbed, "the one's that did this to me." Brian looked at Nick. He wasn't sure what he meant by that, but whatever it was, it really found it's way to Nicks head and took over.

"Oh, it's alright man. I won't let anyone get to you alright," Brian said hoping his words would soothe him, "they'll have to go through me first okay?"

"I'm scared Brian," Nick whispered.

"It's okay Nick, everything is going to be alright."