- Text Size +
Chapter 28

"They've been up there for awhile," AJ said nervously. He wasn't at all sure how their conversation was going. He half expected Kerry to come storming out of the room in a fit of anger demanding that AJ take her home right away.

"I know," Brian said as he glanced over at AJ. It was obvious that the both of them were questioning their judgement about the current situation. Things seemed to be going well. They made that assumption because they had yet to hear any sort of yelling, but that didn't nessicairly mean that things were working out.

"What do you think they're talking about?" AJ asked as shifted in the chair.

"No idea. Could be anything," Brian answered as he continued to keep his glare on AJ.

"She told me that she still loves him Bri," AJ confessed, "she said that she still wants to be with him. Do you think I did the right thing bringing her here?"

"I don't know," Brian answered, "sometimes it's easier to hold onto something rather than letting it go. Lets just hope that isn't the case."

"Of course it isn't," AJ countered hesitantly, "I mean she had enough reason to make leaving him real easy. He did a pretty good job of fucking up their whole relationship."

"He wasn't completely aware of what he was doing."

"I know that B. I've been there myself," AJ reminded, "I messed up a lot of things when I was drinking. I know that, but I've learned from it alright?"

"AJ, how did this turn into a conversation about you?" Brian asked.

"I don't know. I guess it just did."

"You had nothing to do with all of this. You weren't the one giving him the drugs and stuff. There was nothing that you could have done to prevent this. There wasn't anything that one could do. It was all up to Nick."

"Yeah, well I think we left him with too big a responsiblity."

"AJ, he just went through a rough time. Please don't make this any harder on the rest of us. I am completely stressed out right now. There is just so much happening and I don't know how to handle it all. Keeping after Nick is a lot. He's at his worst right now."

"I hear ya," AJ replied, "I could have Nick stay at my house a few nights alright just so you can get some rest. How's that?"

"Can't. Nick's been put in my custody. He has to stay here," Brian explained.

"Oh," AJ said, "I can hang around here for a few days. Just stay out of your hair and just keep an eye on Nick. How about that?"

"I don't know AJ, but I'll think about it alright. So have you talked to Howie or Kevin lately?" Brian asked changing the subject because he was sick of talking about all of this and he just wanted to get his mind off of it for a few minutes.

"Yeah, I talked to D this morning, right after I talked to you. He's worried about Nick. He just wants to be apart of this. He wants to help Nick get better."

"We all do."

"I haven't talked to Kevin in a while," AJ continued, getting the feeling that Brian didn't want to talk about anything that had to do with Nick at the moment, "not since we left the hospital. He kinda dissappeared."

"What do you think is up with him?"

"I don't know. Maybe he just wanted to lay low for a while."

"Yeah, that's probably it."

"Why don't you give him a call right now and I'll go upstairs and see how things are going with Kerry and Nick," AJ suggested. Brian nodded and AJ stood up from his chair and started to walk up the stairs. He felt really bad for Brian, he was doing so much all at once that he was hardly able to keep himself together. He probably just hasn't had much sleep. AJ opened the door to Nicks room and was completely shocked by what he saw.

Nick and Kerry were laying in the bed with their arms around each other. This was not what he had expected to see. As a matter of fact, it was the last thing that he thought that he would see. Yes, he did know that Kerry still loved him but he didn't think that she would tell Nick about that, at least not yet. He wished that she had taken some time to think all of this through and let Nick get better before she went through with this. But there they were, laying together, asleep.

AJ hesitated at the thought of waking them up. Neither of them had been sleeping well since this all started and this was probably some well needed rest. They both looked terrible when they were awake. Both of them had bags under their blood-shot eyes. It was a hard time for the both of them. AJ turned around and walked back out of the room. He'd let them sleep for a little while. Closing the door, he started to walk back down the stairs. He had no clue how Brian was going to react to that. Most likely he would think that he was lying until he saw it for himself. AJ knew that he would have done the samething if it were him.

Having actually seen it, he still wasn't sure that he believed it. He was aware of how much they cared about each other before all of this happened but he didn't think that she would be able to stay with him, even after what he did. Most women that he knew would have given him a piece of their minds before they left and he never saw them again. What the difference with Kerry was, he couldn't seem to figure out. It was most likely that she had a really big heart. As AJ walked back into the living room, Brian was just hanging up the phone.

"So how did it go up there?" Brian asked.

"You're not going to believe this," AJ warned.

"Try me J. I've seen and heard almost everything by now." AJ smiled at him, he could see that Brian was already feeling at least a little bit better.

"Well, they're asleep."

"Asleep?" Brian questioned as he looked at AJ, completely confussed.

"Yes, asleep, together," he continued, "I think they've worked something out."

"Wow," Brian replied, "I never thought that she would go back to him. She sounded so sure of herself when she told us that it was over between them."

"Yeah well, it looks like she was just putting on an act Rok," AJ responded, "'cause I thought the same damn thing. Shit, if I was her, I wouldn't have gone back, no matter how much I may have wanted to. At least not right now anyway, he's still seriously fucked up man."

"Who you telling?" Brian countered, "but if it helps him then it's worth it."

"I'm not saying that I'm against this, I'm just saying that I think it's a little weird."

"Everything's weird," he told AJ, "nothing has been the same lately and I'm sure you've noticed that."

"You didn't expect everything to stay like it was forever did you?"

"No, but I never thought that Nick or you would have gotten hurt like you guys did," Brian answered, "it was the last thing that any of us ever thought would happen."

"Hey, it's not your fault Rok," AJ informed Brian, "Nick and I had a choice and we choise the wrong thing. He's going to be alright, you've got him this far, so don't think that you've failed him or anything."

"I know that, it's just kinda hard to believe that all of this is happening to us."

"It is. So," AJ answered as he began to change the subject, "did you get a hold of Kev?"

"Yeah, he's just been spending a lot of time thinking about everything. Kinda taking it all in you know? He still can't believe everything."

"Yeah, so what do you want to do about Nick and Kerry?"

"I have no idea AJ. I just think that we stay out of it and we let them do things for themselves. That might help Nick get back into the flow of every day sort of life."

"Alright by me. So do you want to go up there and bust them?" AJ asked with an evil like grin on his face. Brian laughed as he looked at AJ and shook his head.

"What the hell, why not?" he answered as he and AJ took off towards the stairs. Quickly running up the flight of stairs and towards Nicks room. It was only seconds before they reached Nicks room. AJ glanced over at Brian as he reached for the door knob. Slowly he opened the door and Brian looked in at the two of them. They looked almost as if nothing had ever happened.

"Hey kiddies," AJ shouted, causing Nick and Kerry to jump up and look towards Brian and AJ. AJ had one of the widest grins on his face as he stood there looking in at them.

"So I take it that things went well," Brian asked jokingly.

"Yeah, actually they did," Kerry answered.

"Good, I'm glad," Brian told her, "so Nick you feeling any better over there buddy?"

"A lot actually. That was the best nap that I've had in a while," he told Brian.

"So do you want anything?"

"No, I'm alright," Nick answered, "but don't worry, I'll tell you when I want something."

"Sure man, you do that."

"Have you heard from the P.I. yet?"

"No. He has a lot that he needs to look into and he said that he would call me as soon as he found something that could help us," Brian explained.

"What P.I.?" Kerry asked.

"The one that I hired to find out who put those pills in Nicks bag because I knew they weren't in there because I was the one who packed his bag and I checked to see if there was anything in there. There wasn't," Brian told her.

"So he's going around to try and figure out who actually put that stuff in there?"

"Yeah, and hopefully he finds something, quick."

"When do you need this stuff by?"

"Before Nick goes to trial. Which I don't know when that is. So it can't be soon because they would most likely give us time to prepare. I think he has some time to check things out carefully."

"What if he doesn't get the guy?" she asked nervously.

"Well, let's not think about that right now. Let's just pray that he does and Nick doesn't have to go to jail," Brian told her seriously.