- Text Size +
Chapter 30

"Brian what happened?" Nick asked as he jumped out of the chair. Fear was plainly written all across his face.

"Come here, I want to talk to you alone," Brian replied as he walked out of the kitchen. Nick glanced over at Kerry who had the same fearful expression on her face, but she nodded to him anyway to let him know that he should go and talk to Brian. Quickly he walked into the living room to see Brian sitting on the couch.

"Are you going to tell me something really bad?" Nick asked as he took a seat next to his best friend. Brian looked up at Nick, with worry in his eyes.

"Maria was involved with everything," Brian spat out, "it's some sort of conspiracy. They want to make it look like I helped you smuggle in that stuff. And that guy you were rooming with, he was involved. They found out that they were willing to reduce his sentence if he helped them."

"So I was right about everything," Nick answered in complete shock. He didn't know how to react to what Brian had just told him. It was like everything had come crashing down on him though he knew that these people were some how involved in everything, "I knew Maria had to be involved and Mark too. That was the only explanation. They were the only ones that could have been alone with my bag."

"The P.I. Johnson, that's his name, was able to get a taped confession from that guy but he has to get solid proof that Maria was involved. He's working on that right now. He called me because he had to tell me what he found," Brian explained.

"She's never going to confess to any of this," he informed Brian.

"I know, and that's why Jonhson is looking for something else to prove it. Maybe someone saw something you know."

"Like they'd talk."

"For a reduced sentence they would."

"Why so they can end up right back there?" Nick answered, "shit that whole damn place was probably involved. They had this all planned out from when I first walked into the god damn door."

"Nick, that doesn't matter any more because it happened and there isn't anything that we can do about it," Brian replied trying to help Nick to remain calm, "look we're going to make sure that everything is going to work out. You're not going to go to jail again."

"What are we going to do now?"

"We just wait for Johnson to get something that will tie Maria to all of this," Brian explained, "he's working on that right now. He'll probably have something soon and this will all be over with."

"I sure as hell hope so," Nick said as he walked out of the living room and back into the kitchen were Kerry was still waiting for them. She looked up at him, her eyes glossed over with concern.

"Nick is everything alright?" She asked as she took Nicks hand into hers, hoping that woukd provide him with some comfort.

"Maria, my doctor, was involved in everything," he said softly with his eyes fixed on the scene outside the window.

"Well, now we know who did it. Things will get better," she replied.

"Kerry, why would she want to do something like this to me?"

"I don't know honey," she answered as she looked down at the table, "she probably thought that she could get something out of it."

"Why does everyone try to take advantage of me?" Nick asked as he turned his attention to Kerry, tears pouring down his face rapidly.

"Because they're stupid," she said as she squeezed his hand tightly in hers, "they don't know how great you are because they're blinded by their stupidity.They don't want your heart, but baby I do, cause you've got mine."

"What am I supposed to do?" he asked as Kerry stood up to talk to him.

"Just ignore them. You have me and the guys, we'll always be there for you because we care about you alright Nicky?" she assured him as she wrapped her arms around him to pull him into her embrace. Nicks arms went around her and he held onto her tightly. He was still crying as they stood there holding each other. Kerry wasn't sure what she should do, there was going to be a lot for Nick to deal with in the coming days. It had the possibilty of overwhelming his senses and taking complete control.

Kerry pulled him even tighter as she felt his hands begin to tremble. She wasn't sure if it was from being so upset or from withdrawls. Never the less, Nick needed her right now and she was going to be there to help him get better. No matter what it took, she was willing to do this. Nick was going to pull through this one way or another. Her hand gentally started to move up and down on Nicks back to help bring him comfort. She soon felt Nick rest his head upon hers and she sighed.

Kerry's senses went into over ride because of how close Nick was to her again. His sent filled her nose as she took in a deep breath. The familiar smell was soothing and relaxing to her. The feeling of his skin on hers reminded her of all the times that she and Nick had spent together. Her eyes shut as she kept her grip on Nick. She wanted him to feel as safe as she did. She wanted him to believe that everything was going to be alright.

"I love you," he whispered. She smiled to herself, knowing that her display of emotions was helping Nick.

"I love you too Nick," she replied.

"Baby, I'm scared," he confessed, "I don't know if I'm going to be able to deal with all of this."

"Don't worry, you will. We're here to make sure that you do."

"Hey kids," Kevin said from the door way of the kitchen. They both jumped from shock and looked over at Kevin.

"Hi, I haven't seen you in a while," Kerry replied, slightly embarrassed by what had just occured.

"Yeah, and I can see that you're doing a lot better," he answered as he gave her a quick hug and then looked up at Nick. Nick looked back at him, not saying anything. He wasn't sure what he should say. "You look a lot better yourself," Kevin finally said.
"I feel a hell of a lot better," Nick explained as he looked at Kevin who was staring right back at him.

"I know about what happened," Kevin said, "and I want you to know that we're going to make sure that nothing happens to you, alright Nick?"

"Thanks," Nick replied as his eyes shifted towards the floor. Nick self-esteem had dropped over the past few months due to the drugs and the alcohol. Kerry took his hand again when she saw his eyes go down. She could feel that he wasn't exactly back to normal yet. "I wanted to come by and see how you were doing. The last time I talked to Brian about you, he said that you were doing really bad. I'm glad that there's been an improvement," he commented, "we're really proud of you man. You're being strong."

"I don't know about that."

"You're standing there aren't you?" Kevin asked, "That just shows how much strength that you do have. Don't underestimate yourself."

"I wouldn't be standing here if it wasn't for Kerry," Nick answered and Kerry looked up at him, "if she hadn't come to talk to me, I would still be in bed. There would be no way that I would be able to get through all of this shit."

"Well, you have her don't you? And now we just need to figure some more things out and everything is going to be alright."

"What do we need to figure out?" Kerry asked.

"Just what we're going to do about this P.I. guy. Hopefully what he got us will help keep Nick out of jail and from there everything is just going to be emotional stuff."

"I'm not going back to another one of those places," Nick replied sternly, "you see what they did to me Kevin? There is no way in hell that I'm going to go back."

"It's alright, we're not going to send you back...," Kevin said softly, "but you have to promise to stay clean. You can't get involved in that shit again."

"I promise. No more of it," Nick answered as he looked down at Kerry because he had made her the same promise, "never again."

"Good," Kevin replied as he nodded his head and looked at the two of them together. They both seemed to make each other feel better about everything. Even after everything that they had been through. It's like they say, what doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger and all of this gave them a very strong relationship.