- Text Size +
Chapter 31

"We need to call in some lawyers," Kevin said to his cousin as they, as well as AJ and Howie were sitting in the living room talking about what they should do from this point. Nick and Kerry didn't want to be apart of this conversation, at least not right now.

"I know that Kev," Brian replied, "I just want to see whatelse we get before we go and call in the lawyers."

"We have what we need to know. That bitch did this to Nick," AJ snapped, "I say we call them in get this fucking bitch in jail and shut down the clinic."

"Then where would the other people go?" Howie asked.

"To different clinics," AJ answered, "some place where they don't have to worry about being stabbed in the back by the person that's supposed to be helping them get better."

"AJ relax," Kevin warned, "getting angry isn't going to solve any of this."

"And neither is sitting around here doing nothing. Nick needs us to do something. You guys know what this woman did to him! Why the fuck are you just sitting here like it was nothing!" he yelled.

"Look, we're angry too," Brian informed him, "but we don't want to do the wrong thing."

"Wrong thing? Putting this woman in jail is the wrong thing?"

"No, but we just have to make sure that we have proof before she knows that we've figured it out so that she can't cover her tracks or anything like that. You know, pay people off to keep their mouths shut."

"That one guy talked," Howie commented.

"Yeah but who's going to believe a drug addict?" AJ questioned.

"And that's why we're waiting to do something," Kevin interupted as AJ had made the point that Kevin wanted to get across. "We don't want this guy to be the only witness that we have. He could be making this all up for as far as we know and we just have to make sure that we have the details to back all of this up."

"Yeah well I don't think that this woman is going to wait to cover everything up," AJ responded, "there probably isn't much of anything left."

"Come on, we have to have some hope," Brian reminded them.

"Is this guy even ligit?" AJ asked.

"Yeah, I checked into him before I called him," Brian answered, "I wasn't about to call some guy that would put us on a wild goose chase."

"When did he say that he would get back to you?" Kevin asked.

"As soon as he found something," Brian replied with a shrug.

"At least we have something," Howie replied, "it's better than what we had before."

"Just proving it is going to be another thing," Brian informed him, "I can tell them that there wasn't anything in the bag when I brought it to Nick but that doesn't mean that they're going to believe me."

"But you were part of the reason why he actually went to the clinic."

"Yeah, we all know that but they would probably hire some lawyer that could turn my words around or something."

"I just want to get this shit over with already," AJ said suddenly, "I just want things to go away so that we can help Nick out and move on with our lives."

"Just as soon as we clear this up, we can do that," Kevin replied, "we just have to make sure that we sort everything out carefully."

"This is starting to take a toll on all of us," Howie mentioned, "we're all goin' crazy over this. Let's just relax because we have a good team behind us and they aren't going to let anything happen to Nick and with the stuff the P.I. found, his chances are really good."

"I just don't want this to drag out," AJ said with a sigh, "I don't think we're going to be able to handle it."

"That's a reason why we should relax at least for now. Let this P.I. do his job and then we go from there. We get in touch with a lawyer and make sure that we clear Nicks name from all of this," Howie explained.

Nick smiled when he walked out of the bathroom and into the bed room to see Kerry standing at the window. Things were so much better already. Kerry really did amazing things to him. It was hard for the others to understant the affect that she had on him, but he knew that nothing but good could come from it. Slowly, Nick walked up behind Kerry and wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her tightly to him.

"Hey Nicky," she said as she put her arms over his and smiled.

"Hi," he responded as he placed a soft kiss on her cheek. Kerry leand her head against Nicks chest and continued to look through the window. Everything seemed like it was perfect again but they both knew that they still had a long way to go before they even came remotely close to perfect.

"How long do we have to stay here? I want to go home," Kerry said.

"For as long as the case is being investigated. As soon as it's over we can go home," Nick explained to her. She nodded and sighed. "You don't have to stay you know."

"Yeah I know, but I want to, besides, what kind of girlfriend would I be if I left the time that you needed me the most?" Nick turned his attention to the window as well and Kerry felt him tense up behind her. "I'm sorry, I know you needed me before. I just had to do what was right for me and that was to spend a little time alone healing."

"It's alright," Nick told her softly, "all that matters is that you're back now." She smiled and pulled away from his embrace. Walking towards the bed, Nick kept his eyes on her, she sat down.

"It was funny, when I walked out the door that morning, I told myself that I would never let myself go back to you. There had been so many times when you were on drugs that I'm never going to forget. You hurt me so many times in so many different ways. To anyone else, it would have been easy to walk away and forget about everything good that we had, but for me, it was just too hard. I kept trying to tell myself that I was just going to get into more trouble if I started to see you again. It worked for a while. I'd convinced myself that I didn't need you and that you weren't important to me. My life started to go back into motion and then I heard that you were in the hospital. I couldn't believe it. AJ told me that you were in a coma and I was just so scared. I didn't want to lose you. I was hoping the whole time that you would get better so that I could be with you again and then that happened and I thought that you were just going to die on me. I never went to the hospital because I was afraid. Afraid of the chance that you might have died when I was there. As angry as I was, I didn't want to lose you," she confessed to Nick.

"You were the reason I pulled through," he replied, almost shocked by what Kerry had just confessed to him. He had never expected that she would tell him these things, at least so quickly after it happened. "I kept thinking of you."

"So what's going to happen now?" she asked hoping to take Nicks thoughts off of what she had just said. She didn't want him to feel bad for her. There was no reason to, at least thats what she thought.

"I have no idea," Nick answered as he let out a long sigh and sat down on the bed next to Kerry. He looked over at her and a small smile swept onto his face. He was so happy want she wanted to be with him even after all of the stupid things that he'd done.