- Text Size +
Chapter 32

Nick flew up from the pillow. His body was covered with sweat and his breathing was labored. He looked to his side to see if he had awakend Kerry, he didn't, she was still peacefully sleeping. He took in a couple of deep breaths and began to relax. Slowly, he crept out of the bed and walked over to the window to open it just a crack and let some fresh air into the room which had suddenly become very stuffy. His slumber had been dreamless but he still couldn't help but feel nervous.

The fear of knowing what the P.I. had found was plaguing him. It seemed as if all of his worst fears were slowly starting to come true. He could possibly be heading back to jail. Nick was willing to do about anything to stay out of jail. Everything about being there scared him. He wasn't tough enough to handle being in jail with murderers. There was no way that he would be able to survive a week there.

Nick wanted nothing more to be found innocent of all the charges against him because he knew that he had done nothing. The problem was, all the evidence made it look as if he had. What scared him even more was if the police wanted to talk to Kerry and it slipped that he had raped her. He'd go to jail for that alone and then the drug charges would be on top of that. There would be no way that he would get any leniency.

Nick bit his lip when he heard the phone ring. He knew that it had to come with bad news. He was going to have to go to court and there was nothing that he could do to prove that he was innocent. Nervously, Nick waited. He waited to see if there really was bad news. Moments later, the bedroom door opened and Nick looked at Brian. Their eyes meeting.

"Just tell me what happened Brian," Nick said seriously.

"We're due in court in a week," he replied.

"What do you think is going to happen?"

"I have no idea," Brian confessed, "but we have some good people on ourside so I think that we have a great chance of keeping you out of jail."

"I'm scared Brian."

"I know you are, and I'm scared too buddy," Brian replied.

"Your not going to let anything happen to me right?" he asked meekly.

"No, it'll be alright, I promise little bro," he assured. Nick nodded his head and glanced over at Kerry who was still fast asleep.

"If I do go to jail...."

"Don't think like that buddy," Brian warned, "it's not going to come to that. I'll make sure of that myself if I have to."

"I want you to look after Kerry for me alright?" Nick continued. Brian looked at Nick who was filled with fear and concern.

"Yeah," Brian finally answered reluctantly, "I'll keep an eye on her for you."

"Thanks Brian." Brian smiled weakly and then walked out of the bedroom. It was becoming harder to convince Nick to hold onto his hope. Each blow was knocking Nick down even further. How much lower could Nick go? Brian wasn't sure. All he knew was that all of this had to come to an end soon otherwise they were going to lose Nick. He didn't have enough strength in him to deal with anything else that could possibly happen to him.

"Kerry," Nick whispered as he crept back into the bed. No responce. He sighed and moved closer to her and raised his voice a little, "Kerry," he repeated.

"Hum?" came a weak mumble.

"I have to go to court next week and I want you to know that I love you," he said as he sat up and looked at Nick, "that's not going to change."

"Court?" she asked, shocked by what Nick had said to her.

"Yeah."

"So fast?"

"Yeah, I guess they want to get it over with so that we don't have time to find any information against them," Nick spoke. Kerry grabbed Nicks hand and held it tightly in hers. She didn't know what else to do. Words didn't seem to have their place any more. She felt that no matter what she said, it wouldn't change anything.

A week can go by slowly when you know that the rest of your life is going to be based on a decision made by complete strangers. Nick stared at himself in the mirror. Brian had tried his best to make him look like he did before, it was impossible. Fear and devistation consumed him. It showed clearly on Nicks face. There was no hiding it. Silently, they began their journy to the courthouse. Each of them hoping that something was going to be done to protect Nick. Brian knew that the P.I. hadn't gathered enough solid evidence that anyone was involved in this. He also knew that if the jury believed that he had put the pills in Nicks' bag, then he could also be facing possible jail time.

There was too much at stake for them to lose. The only thing that they could do now was hope and pray that the P.I. had found something more and it would help clear Nicks name and Brians' too. Anxiousness filled the air around them. Brian, Kerry and Nick knew that they were about to walk into fate as the arrived at the courthouse. The time had come and there was nothing that anyone could have done about it.

Nick fearfully fought back tears. He wanted to badly to just run away from everything was happening. Run away from the court house so that he wouldn't have to go to jail and just forget about everything that happened to him. Nick knew that running wouldn't solve his problems, but it would have made his life so much easier. As they walked into the courtroom, Nicks eyes scanned the room. AJ, Howie and Kevin had all shown up to show their support for Nick. They knew that he was not guilty of any crime.

Quietly, they all took their seats. Nick went up to sit with his lawyer and looked back at the friends that had come to show them that they cared. He smiled weakly, knowing that if they hadn't been there for him, this all would have ended a long time ago. They were the ones that helped him to get this far and they weren't going to let him go to jail. Kevin always had an answer. He was always able to save Nick. A plan was probably already in motion and all Nick had to do was wait. That's what it was. That had to be what was happening.

Nicks hands shook nervously as he waited for the trial to begin. He knew he was innocent but how could he prove it? That was the thing that scared him the most; knowing that he was telling the truth but also knowing that no one believed him. His fate was about to be decided.