- Text Size +
Chapter 33

Nevously Nick tapped his foot onto the floor. He didn't know what else to do to let out his stress. He had been sitting there for the past two hours listening to a million different stories. They all seemed to put the blame on Nick. Each and every witness had said that there was no other explaination because of the short period of time that he actually been admitted. He listened to story to story, fighting with himself not to jump up and start screaming like a mad man.

On occassion, Nick would glance back at his friends who were sitting there quietly. Nick couldn't help but wonder when Brian was going to have his chance to speak. That's when the jury would see that he had nothing to do with all of this and that he was innocent. After all, he was innocent, how could they prove it otherwise? Optimism was the best chance he had to keep him from having a complete nervous break down.

Nick took another glance behind him to see an agrivated expression on Kevin's face. He was obviously upset by what these people were saying. He could probably see how crazy this was himself. It was when the P.I. was called to the stand that Nick started to become overly nervous. This was his only chance, he knew it. If this guy couldn't prove his innocents, everything would be over.

Kerry nervously squrimed in her seat. She didn't know what else she should do to ease her nerves. All this was happening because she made a stupid mistake. She knew that she should say something but she was too scared. There was so many great things that she could lose if she did the wrong thing. At this point, she wasn't even sure what the wrong thing was any more. Everything seemed so crazy.

The court broke for recess. It was the longest half hour they had ever experienced. They had all remained in the court room because they didn't know where else to go or what to do. Nick was becoming visibly shaken by all the events that were beginning to unfold. Brian knew that he was the next witness to the stand. He didn't know how well his story was going to hold up. The clinic had hired such a great lawyer that Brian was almost positive that the jury had already thought that Nick was guilty. If he hadn't known better, he might have too.

Recess ended. Brian began to muster up his courage as he waited for his name to be called. The P.I. hadn't been much help and he wasn't about to let his friend go down without a fight.

"We would like to call Brian Littrell to the stand," the lawyer said. AJ gave Brian a reassuring pat on the shoulder as he headed for the stand. Nick kept his eyes locked on Brian. He was his last chance at freedom. Nick watched, and waited, as Brian was sworn in.

"Can you tell the jury what is the nature of your relationship with the defendant?"

"He's one of my best friends. We're in a musical group together. I've known the guy for years," Brian responded.

"Why don't you tell us a little about his drug use?" Brian cringed a little by the lawyers words but Nick looked on, telling him that it was okay.

"I would say that it started several months ago," he began, "he was really able to cover it up for awhile. It wasn't until a couple months ago that we found out what had been happening. We found him in his house. He had passed out from whatever it was that he took."

"So you can't tell me exactly when the drug abuse started?"

"No sir."

"You stated 'we', who were the other parties?"

"The other members of the group," Brian answered effortlessly, though he was afraid where the questioning about the group was going.

"Is it true that there has been a history of substance abuse among the five of you?" Brian bit his lip and shut his eyes. He knew this was where the questions were leading too. Brian looked out to see AJ, sitting there. Glaring that lawyer as if he wanted to rip is head off for bringing that up.

"Yes, one of us had a problem with alcohol but I'm proud to say that he's been fully recovered for a year and a half now," Brian explained.

"What happened with him?"

"He was a little depressed but he's better. He see's the wrong in what he did. He as well as Nick, went to rehab willingly."

"So Nick went willingly?"

"Yes sir," Brian said after a moment of hesitation, "originally, he didn't want to go, but we showed him exactly what was happening and he went willingly and right away."

"Do you think that Nick smuggled in those pills?"

"No, I know for a fact that he didn't. I packed that bag myself. There was nothing in there because I checked it. Nothing was in there."

"How can we be sure that you didn't put it in there Mr. Littrell?"

"Because I wanted Nick to get better. That's why he was in rehab."

"Is that so? Or could it have been because your management had cought wind of what was going on and decided that it was time to put an end to it and you were just helping a friend out by putting that stuff in there?"

"Management had nothing to do with the decision. We, meaning the other members of the band and I, decided that putting Nick in rehab was the best thing to do." The interrogation went on like this for the next few minutes. Brian was never given the chance to defend himself. It was over, they all knew it.

"Does the defence have an witness they would like to call to the stand?" the judge asked.

"No your honor," Nicks lawyer replied.

"In that case then..."

"Wait!" Kerry interupted.

"Kerry what are you doing?" AJ asked as he grabbed onto her arm and attepmted to pull her back down to her seat.

"What I should have done a long time ago," she responded and then loudly stated, "Nick and Brian had nothing to do with the pills in his bag. I put them in there." The room was filled with shocked gasps. Nicks eyes were wide as he stared at Kerry. How could she do that to him? The other guys looked at her, in complete shock.

"Ma'am, are you willingly admitting responsiblity?" the judge asked.

"Yes your honor. Nick and Brian shouldn't be punished. I was angry at Nick, I thought that......," she said as she paused to look into Nicks eyes, "that if I put those pills in his bag that I could get revenge."

"Revenge for what?" Kerry looked at the judge, tears pouring down her face.

"He hurt me..." she mumbled.

"How did he hurt you?" She hesitated for a moment.

"He broke my heart," she stated. Nick looked at her, and nodded. He wanted her to tell the truth. She was telling everyone the truth, why stop now?

"You did all this because he broke up with you?" the judge questioned.

"No your honor. I did it because....," she paused again and Nicks eyes still showed reassurance and he nodded at her again, telling her to go on, "he raped me.." she admitted as her emotions began to run out of control.

"He raped you?"

"Yes," she forced out. AJ put his arm around her and held her tight. The other guys looked on, not knowing what to say or even what to think about what was happening. The judge turned his attention back to Nick. A single tear had escaped his eye as he dropped his head down in shame.

"Well we have quiet a turn of events here," the judge stated as he looked down at the people before him. Shock was written upon most faces. "This case is dismissed but ma'am, I would like to talk to you."

"I'm not going to press charges," she stated. The judge looked at her and nodded.

"Then you can go. Case dismissed."