- Text Size +
Chapter 34

Nick walked quietly out of the court house. He stopped when he had reached the exit of the building. Taking a deep breath he stepped out. As he walked towards the car, he brushed away his tears. He couldn't believe what had just happened.

"Nick!" Kerry called as she came running out of the courthouse. Nick looked back, but then continued walking. "Please Nick stop."

"I can't believe you," Nick replied, disappointment in his voice.

"I never thought that it would get this far," she told him, "I didn't want this to happen."

"What did you think was going to happen? Come on Kerry I was in a drug rehab. How did you think they were going to take it when they found that shit on me!" Nick yelled.

"I don't know..."

"You didn't know...," Nick repeated as he shook his head, "and you lied to me this whole time. You could have just said something and we wouldn't have had to hire a P.I. and I never would have gone to jail!"

"I was scared Nick. I didn't say anything because I knew that I would lose you again. I didn't want that," she explained.

"Life is full of surprises huh?" Nick commented, "I was mopping around thinking that you were never going to want to be with me again because of the ass hole that I was. Then you turn around, acting like you wanted me to get better just so that you could plant that stuff on me and get me in trouble again," Nick yelled.

"If I could change what I did, then I would."

"Well you can't," Nick replied as he turned around again and started his walk to the car once again.

"And neither can you," she countered, "no matter what you say, you still raped me. I didn't have to forgive you for that, but I did, so why can't you forgive me?" Nick paused but didn't look back. She was right. She had found it in her heart to forgive Nick, so why couldn't he? He turned back around and looked deep into Kerrys eyes.

"Hey, I'm Nick," Nick replied as he extended his arm. Kerry smiled.

"Kerry," she answered as she shook his hand. A smile slowly coming across his face.

"Nice to meet you. How 'bout we go out some time?" he asked.

"I'd love too," she accepted as she stared into his eyes.

"Good, then I'll see you tonight."

"See you then."

"Can't wait." Kerry nodded in agreement as she watched Nick walk away.

~*~

Nick sighed as he sat nervously in his car as he drove towards Kerrys house. Part of him was afraid of what the reaction would be from her family. He didn't want them to hate him. He wanted them to see that he had made a mistake but he was working hard to help fix it. There was nothing more he wanted then to make sure that he never hurt anyone like he had Kerry again and he just hoped that they would be able to look past what had happened and what Nick was determined to make his life be.

Thinking about this made him remember the first time that he had met her family. They hated the idea of them being together. Nick got the feeling that her family didn't approve of him because they believed that he was just going to use Kerry and them dump her. They couldn't have been more wrong, Nick thought. He had never been the type of person that would knowingly hurt someone that he cared about. He wasn't the type of person that went around dismissing everyones feelings as if they ment nothing.

Nervously, Nick pulled his car into Kerrys drive way. Taking a deep breath, he exited the car. Casually, he headed for the front door. Maybe things would be different this time. They would be able to see what he was really all about and things would be okay. Maybe they were willing to start all over again as well. He could only hope. Nick rang the bell.

"Hey Nick," Kerry greeted as she opened the door.

"Hey," Nick responded with a smile. He was so happy to see her again. It had only been a few hours but it felt like so much more to him.

"Let's go," she said as she stepped out of the house and shut the door behind her. Nick looked at her, puzzled.

"We're just going to go like that?"

"Yeah, what, did you want to meet my parents?" she questioned in return.

"I don't know, I just.. I'm not sure how this is supposed to go. I know the most important thing about you already and it's that I love you," Nick replied.

"It's a time to start over silly," Kerry replied, "and I don't introduce my boyfriends to my family on the first date. That's how my family tries to scare them away." Nick laughed as they walked towards his car.

"So I guess it would be better if we waited," Nick suggested.

"I would say so."

"Thanks," Nick said suddenly.

"For what?"

"For giving me a chance to start over," he replied as he shut her car door and walked around the the drivers seat. She looked and spoke after he shut his door.

"I didn't do it just for you. I did it for me too because I can't think of my life without you. You're just lucky that I love you so damn much. Some people would think I was crazy, but..."

"Hey," Nick interupted with mock offence.

"It's a good kind of crazy though," she explained. Nick smiled at her as they pulled out of her driveway.

"Well, you're in for a lot of craziness," Nick replied.

"Bring it on."

The End