- Text Size +
Chapter 8

AJ leaned back into the chair and sighed. He watched as the people walked by the resturaunt that he was at. Soon he leaned foward and rested his head on his hands as he continued to look out the window. He squinted when he thought he saw someone that looked familiar. Then he realized, it was Kerry. He jumped up from the table and ran outside after her.

"Kerry," he yelled and she stopped and turned to see AJ running towards her.

"Hi AJ," she replied softly.

"How've you been?" he asked, seriously.

"What do you mean?" she asked, hoping that he didn't know what happened between her and Nick.

"The last time I talked to you was when I called looking for Nick. I wanted to know what you've been up to since," he answered, hoping that she would be honest with him about what happened.

"Oh," she said, a little bit relieved, "I've been okay."

"Good," he answered, nodding, "so, how’s Nick?"

"Okay," she replied, thinking that he didn’t know that they had split up. She was glad because she really didn’t feel like talking about it. Only she and Nick knew what went on that night and she wanted to keep it that way.

"I was about to have some lunch, you want to join me?" he asked.

"No, but thanks for the invitation. I really need to be going," she said as she started to walk away from AJ. He watched as she started to walk and knew that he had to say something.

"Kerry I know what happened that night," he said, causing her to stop and turn to face him instantly, "I know what Nick did to you. I know that you two broke up." She looked at him, she was at a loss for words.

"How?" she asked, her voice coming out as a whisper.

"Nick told me."

"So he’s bragging about it and you thought..."

"No it’s not like that," AJ interupted, "that morning me and the guys went to go check on you and Nick. You were gone and Nick was upstairs, in the bathroom. We had to take him to the hospital because he almost over dosed on some drugs. We’ve been taking turns staying with Nick at his house to make sure that he doesn’t do this to himself again and last night me and Kev were there and we were starting to get through to Nick. We almost got him to say that he needed help, but he doesn’t want it because he said that he lost the thing that he loved the most, you. Then I asked what happened and he told me. You had to see him as he was talking about it. He was near tears," AJ explained.

"AJ," she said and then took a long pause she took a deep breath and continued, "the damage has been done."

"I know," he said softly.

"Then what is this all about?"

"I just wanted to let you know that he was sorry," he replied, “he knows he messed up and that’s a start. I just thought that you might be able to help him get better."

"Sorry, I can't do that. I don't want anything to do with Nick ever again. You can understand that can't you AJ?"

"He needs you right now. You don't have to get into a relationship with him again, just let him know that you want him to get better. That's all. That would help him so much," AJ told her.

"I can't."

"Then just call him to let him know that you're okay," AJ pleaded.

"But I'm not okay," she said trying to keep from yelling, "I still have the bruses from that night. I nearly jumped out of my skin when my brother tried to hug me. My god damn brother AJ! Do you know how hard that is on me? I get nervious around my own family."

"I'm sorry," AJ said, "I just really want to help Nick. I was in his shoes so I know what he's going through and I just thought that you might be able to help, but if it's too much for you, you don't have to. It wouldn't be right for me to do that to you. You don't desireve it. You've already been through enough."

"Thank you, but tell him," she said softly, "that I hope he gets better because he doesn't desireve the life he's giving himself and that not that deep down, he's a really good guy."

"You could always tell him yourself," AJ replied.

"I could, but I can't," she said shaking her head lightly, "there's really no way for me to explain how I feel right now, but I can tell you that seeing Nick won't help. He's the reason that I'm in this situation to begin with. I loved him and he hurt me and I had been telling him to stop but he just didn't listen to me, he just kept going out and drinking and stuff, he never seemed to care that it was hurting me too."

"You're right," AJ answered, "but I think he needs you right now."

"Yeah, but I need to be away from him right now," she informed him, "maybe, just maybe, if another day I'm feeling up to it, I'll talk to Nick, but that's just a maybe, it doesn't mean that I'm going to do it."

"That's fair enough," AJ replied, "you have to do what's in the best interest for you too."

"Exactly, so you understand?"

"Yeah, completely," he answered.

"Well, it was good seeing you, but I really should get going now," she said to him. He smiled and nodded.

"Alright I'll see you around. Take care of yourself," he replied.

"You too."

AJ stood there and watched Kerry walked down the street. He sighed and walked to his car. He opened the door and went inside of the car and drove off to Nicks house. He wasn't completely sure what he was going to tell Nick about his little run in with Kerry, but he was going to tell him that she does want him to get better so that might help him by giving him some place to start. It was better than having him sit around and wondering if she wanted him to do what he did so that she wouldn't have to deal with him any more. When he arrived at AJ's house, he went right inside where he found Brian and Nick sitting in the living room.

"What are you doing here AJ? You weren't supposed to come for another hour," Brian commented.

"I saw Kerry," he answered and Nick looked up at him.

"Did you talk to her?" Nick asked hopefully.

"Yeah," AJ said.

"What did she say? Did you tell her that I was sorry? Did you tell her that I need her?" Nick asked. AJ licked his lips before he started to answer Nicks questions.

"She doesn't want to talk to you Nick," AJ replied, "but she did tell me to tell you that she hopes you get better because you don't desirve any of this."

"You told her that I was sorry right AJ?" Nick said brokenheartedly.

"Yeah, but she said that the damage has already been done. She's really freaked out about what happened. She needs time to pull herself back together," AJ told Nick. Nick's head dropped and AJ just looked at him.

"I didn't think she would want anything to do with me again," Nick commented.

"But she did that maybe when she gets herself back together, she'll give you a call. It's not definate so don't get your hopes up too high, but she did say that it was a possibility," AJ said, hoping to cheer Nick up at least a little bit.

"Yeah, but what am I supposed to do if she never calls?" Nick asked.

"How about this," Brian said before AJ could say anything, "we give her a reason to want to call you." AJ looked at Brian through his sunglasses, trying to see if they were both on the same page.

"What are you talking about?" Nick asked.

"Maybe we should get you some help and get your life back together and you could do something to show her that you've changed," Brian explained.

"Like what?"

"You have the time to think about that. Besides, you know her better than we do so you'll know how to win back her heart, so what do you say?" Brian added.