- Text Size +
Chapter 11

Brian sighed when he put down the remote control of the PS2. He wasn't thinking clearly enough to even decently play the game. He had too many things on his mind. That caller was one of them. It scared Brian to think that someone might be watching him at that very moment. He knew getting into this career would cause him to lose his privacy, but he didn't know that it would come down to this.

"What's wrong man?" Nick asked when he noticed Brian getting up from the floor.

"I can't play anymore. I can't think straight," Brian answered.

"Why not?"

"I just keep thinking about AJ," Brian lied, it sounded honest. They all were worried about him. That gave him time to find something else to blame his mood on. Though he knew that his friends would pick up on that he was lying in time, it was something that he knew that he couldn't avoid.

"He's alright," Nick said to Brian, "probably hitting on nurses at this point." Brian smiled and looked at Nick. He had to admit, that was sort of funny, though he wasn't sure why.

"I'd be surprised if he wasn't," Brian added with a wide grin on his face. Leave it to Nick to make him smile, even at some of the roughest times that a person could face. That was probably why they were as good of friends as they were. They could always make each other feel better.

"Well, we need a break from the game anyway," Nick said turning the game off and then looking at Brian, "what to get something to eat?"

"Not really hungry," Brian answered.

"Come on, you haven't eaten since yesterday afternoon," Nick told him, "we need to get something in our systems."

"Alright, I guess a little something wouldn't hurt," Brian said.

"Nope, not at all," Nick said, "lets go down to the resturaunt, get some breakfast. Then maybe we can go and check up on AJ."

"We'd have to get security and I'm sure that Howie and Kevin are going to want to come with us," Brian commented.

"Yeah, we can get them too," he answered, "that is if they haven't already left."

"They wouldn't leave without us."

"I know, I was just messin with ya."

"Lets go downstairs before I change my mind," Brian said pushing Nick towards the elevator.

"Where are you guys going?" one of the security guards asked.

"Morning Jack, just going to be some breakfast no harm in that right?" Nick answered.

"Let me go down with you," he told Nick.

"Woah, we are just doing downstairs, we aren't leaving the building," Nick protested, "we can handle that on our own."

"If you don't want me to go down with you, then you better have it brought up because none of you guys are leaving my sight. I am under strict orders to not let you guys go anywhere without protection."

"Jack, we'll be alright," Brian told him, "I'll be with Nick, he won't get into any trouble if that's what you're worried about. I've got him."

"Brian, that's not it," he answered, "I know you guys would usually be alright going down together. Just not this time alright? You've gotta trust me on this one."

"What do you know that you aren't telling us Jack?" Nick asked walking over towards him.

"I can't tell you, I'm under...." he started.

"I don't want to hear that bullshit, now tell me what you know!" Nick interupted.

"Remember we were bringing new security to the crew?" he asked.

"Yeah, so?" Nick asked.

"Well, he was supposed to meet us here. None of us knew him so we didn't know who we were looking for. He got here just before the first murder," he explained.

"So why haven't we met him yet?" Brian asked suspisously.

"He was told to come here a day later but decided to fly out early," he answered, "he got a room here and was waiting for us. When we got here, he didn't know because we were supposed to have met him, not the other way around."

"Okay, so what does this have to do with anything?" Nick asked.

"He was killed," he answered, "he was the guy that was found hanging."

"What?" Brian asked stunned.

"We just found that out a couple of hours ago and you guys weren't supposed to know because they didn't want you guys to get scared..."

"How could security have been killed?" Brian asked softly.

"I really don't know, and that's why we have to keep a closer eye on you guys than usual. He was highly trained. Who ever the killer is, he is dangerous. He has a lot of skill to be able to take down a guy like that with all his training."

"If this guy was able to take down security, then why would he go after Howie and AJ with a gun? He must have knew that there was a chance that they would survive," Nick pointed out.

"We don't know Nick. Right now, all we can do is speculate about why he's doing this. What I think is he wanted the attack on AJ and Howie to be warnings to who the hell knows for only god knows why. As you can see, we don't have much. It's not like we have a lot to go by," he told them.

"Suddenly I'm not very hungry any more," Brian said looking over towards Nick.

"Neither am I," he answered.

"Get the others, I think we should go pay AJ a visit," he said. Brian looked down at his watch.

"It's not visiting hours yet," he informed Jack.

"Alright," he said softly, "just go back to your room and stay there until me or someone else comes to get you. I don't want you going any place without security. It's not safe out there and I don't want any of you guys getting hurt alright?"

"Yeah, sure, fine," Nick said turning back to the room where he and Brian had just left. Brian quickly caught up to him and followed him inside.

"I can't believe that," Brian said as he sat on the couch. Nick sat next to him and looked over at his best friend. He was just as confussed as he was. Nothing was clear for either of them. For Brian, things just seemed to be getting worse. The calls hadn't stopped and he couldn't talk to anyone about them because then this guy would go after that person. That was the last thing that he wanted. Too many people were hurt and killed already.

"I can't either. This guy should have been able to protect himself but he was killed. I don't know about you but that scares the shit out of me. This guy is still out there and I sure as hell know he ain't gonna stop anytime soon. I just don't want to be next," Nick told him.

"We'll be alright," Brian replied and looked at Nick who's fear was shown clearly upon his face, "nothing is going to happen to us. Jack and them have things under control, they won't let anything happen to us. We are gonna be safe."

"For some reason I doubt that. First Howie and then AJ," Nick said, "if he was able to get the both of them, he might be able to get the rest of us. We had tight security both times this guy attacked, he obviously knows how things are run around here. I don't like that. Not one bit, I just want to get the fuck out of this hotel and as far away from here as I possibly can before something else happens. I don't want to be involved in this anymore. I'm really starting to get scared."

"It's alright to be afraid man. I am too and I'm sure that the rest of the guys are scared too. We can't leave until AJ is let out of the hospital. Besides, security has to stay behind anyway, we may be here awhile. We are just going to have to make the best of everything."

"How do you make the best out of everything when there has been two murders and two attempted murders? That's not something that I can find any good in at all. I just want to get my ass out of here and be safe."

"Nick we might not be safe anywhere. I mean we are in the press all the time, if this guy wants to find us, he will be able to. Our fans have been able to find us so that means this guy can find us easily. We're as safe here as we are anywhere else."

"No, we're in the middle of where this is all happening right here! We are in the line of fire and me or you could be next. It's too dangerous here, I want to get out of here."

"Hey, I don't blame you, I want to get out of here too but as long as we have security, we'll be alright," Brian told him.

"Someone was killed who was trained to be able to defend himself and us as well. If he was killed what makes you think he won't be able to kill everyone else?"

"If he wanted to do that he would have done it already!" Brian yelled, "nothing else is gonna happen so please just stop freaking me out!"

"What's wrong man?" Nick asked Brian as he put his hand on his shoulder.

"I'm just as scared as you are! I don't know what's going to happen. I don't know why this guy is coming after us. I don't know what he wants or what he's gonna do. Staying here scares the hell out of me but we have to do it! I know you hate it, cause I hate it too but there is nothing that we can do about it, we just have to take it!"

"Calm down, I didn't mean to get you all worked up," Nick told him, "I just kinda let my fear take over. You're right, we'll be safe."

"No, you were right! There is no way in hell that we are going to be safe here," Brian mumbled.

"Bri, chill man. We have a lot of security looking out for us. A lot of things could have happened that night you know? This guy could have known the killer or something and that's why he didn't act," Nick said to Brian softly, "or maybe he thought that whoever the killer is, he was with our security."

"I just want to get out of here," Brian answered, "I don't feel safe here."

"I know, and I don't either but like you said, we have to stay because this is where security is. We are safer if we're with security and you know that."

"Security was around when AJ got shot, they didn't help him," Brian said under his breath.

"It was late when that happened," Nick answered. Brian looked up at Nick because he didn't think that he had heard him.

"We should be under 24 hour guard. Someone should be partolling the hallways," Brian pointed out, "we'll be safer that way."

"Fine, we'll tell security about that."