- Text Size +
Chapter 18

Nick looked over at Brian. He didn't look as if he had been hurt and that he would be alright physically in a few days tops. As Nick looked into his eyes, he could see just how confussed Brian was. He could see all the questions that Brian had about all of this. As he continued to stare, he even saw the deception that Brian felt towards him. Nothing could change the past but Nick was determined to change the future.

"Take him to the hotel," he told the guard, "he's served his purpose." The man nodded and began to walk Brian away.

"Nick, what's going on?" Brian yelled to Nick.

"Frick, forget about it. Just leave. I have to do this, for you for everyone. So go back to the hotel and forget about everything that you saw. Nothing happened alright?" Nick said to Brian.

"Nick," Brian answered, "what's all of this about?"

"Just leave Brian and foget about all of this. You'll be a lot better off. Trust me," Nick answered. The man took Brian's arm and pulled him away and out of sight to take him back to the hotel.

"It's great to have you back Nickolas," the man said stepping towards Nick then embracing him in a hug, "it really has been a long time." The stepped back and walked away from Nick and smiled. "You were always my favorite."

"Look, I'm not doing this for you. I'm doing this because I don't want you to hurt my friends. They are the only reason that I agreed to come back. I want you to promise me," Nick said to him seriously, "that you will never harm any one of them again. You've got me and that's what you wanted so you have no business with the guys."

"Nickolas, I promise that they will never be harmed by any of my men or anyone that works with me," he told Nick. Nick nodded.

"Good," he replied.

"Now, why don't we get you back into the loop of things," he said smiling at Nick. Nick remained where he had been since he had found him. He took a deep breath, he had to get himself out of this. He was able to do it once, so he would be capable of escaping again. "A lot of things have changed since you left. We've had to change a lot of the ways that we handle things here because the police were catching on."

"So why not just stop?" Nick asked.

"You know the answer to that," he replied, "it's become slightly harder to get our shipments, but we've come up with ways. You were always a great decoy, but now I think you're ready for bigger things. Come, I'll show you." Nick followed behind him as he was lead through the house. Finally, they reached one of the rooms in the back of the house.

"We've been able to get closer to the man that we need to get to by having one of our less known men going to him and convincing him that he was the person to go to to hire top of the line body guards. This is the young woman that he has asked be protected," he told Nick handing him a picture, "this is his daughter. She's twenty-one years old and the most important thing in his life. Once we have her, we can get anything from him. That's where you come in. You are the one that I'm going to send to be her body guard. You're the only one of us that hasn't been identified by the police as part of our operation and you'll be able to quickly gain her trust. As soon as you do, the case is in the bag."

"What if I can't get her to trust me?" Nick asked and the man smiled.

"Nickolas, I know that you will be able to gain her trust. You two are close in age and I think that will be a key factor," he told Nick.

"When do I leave?" Nick asked.

"Right away. We have a car waiting for you outside," he informed Nick. He nodded and went out back to where the car was waiting. He sat in the back seat and was greeted by a driver that he hadn't known in his time here. When the car was in motion, Nick let his head fall to the back to the chair. A tear rolled down his cheek and he remained silent. Then, he was hit by an idea. Nick slowly pulled out the gun that he had hidden and pointed it at the back of the drivers head.

"You are going to take me to the hotel that I was staying at," Nick told him, "or I will fucking blow your brains out."

"I can't do that sir, I'm under orders to take you to the airport," he answered Nick.

"I don't give a shit what your orders are! I'm ordering you to take me back to the hotel. Because if you don't, I will. Don't think that I won't shoot you. I've killed a lot of people in my day, what's one more?"

"Yes, sir," he said driving towards the hotel. Nick relaxed against the chair. When he saw that they were getting close to the hotel, he pulled out his cell phone and called his room.

"Hello?" AJ answered nerviously.

"J, tell security to get downstairs," Nick told him.

"Nick?" he said confussed.

"Yeah J, it's me. Now go and get security. Tell them to go to the front of the hotel," Nick ordered. "Alright man," AJ answered and hung up the phone. Nick sighed and put his cell phone back in his pocket.

"That was Nick?" Howie asked quickly.

"Yeah, and he told me to have security at the front of the hotel," AJ answered and ran out into the hallway with all of the guys behind him. "Jack," AJ called as he saw him turning the corner. Nick just called me, he wants security out side of the hotel."

"What? Why?"

"I don't know why, but he just called me and told me to have security out by the front of the hotel. I think you should get some people down there," AJ answered.

"No shit," he said to AJ and then picked up his radio, "all units, abondon posts and assemble at the front of the hotel."

"Why?" a voice came.

"Carter requested security," he answered.

"But isn't..." he started.

"Just go now!"

"Yes sir, we're on our way out right now," he answered.

"You guys should come down with us because there won't be anyone left up here to look after you guys. Just keep a safe distance together and everything will be alright," he told them and they nodded. They began to head down to the main lobby. Jack told them to wait by a side exit just incase they had to make a quick exit.

"I hope Nick is alright," Howie said.

"D, there's a lot about him that we don't know," Brian told him suddenly.

"What are you talking about Rok?" AJ asked curiously.

"He knew the killer," Brian answered.

"What! That's crazy!" Kevin yelled.

"But it's true! He called me and told me to meet him. I did that because I thought it would put an end to all of this. He knocked me out and that's why I didn't come back. He took me some place and then I saw him. This morning, Nick was there and they were talking. They knew each other, I swear," Brian told them.