- Text Size +
The Memories Remain

Never in a million years would I have dreamed That this, this, would be me. I think back to the little girl Who read The Black Stallion And raced over the sand dunes Pretending she could fly. Who played under the pier every day Making great horse farms in the sand, Instead of castles. Who danced in the surf And played tag with the waves. Who always lost against her big cousins In every bout of water wrestling, But could come back up sputtering To try again, undeterred. Who went plowing straight down the ski slopes, Indestructible, unafraid. Who wiped out every other second Because she couldn't keep her skis uncrossed, But got back up every time, wiped away the tears, And went on her way just as recklessly as ever. Who ruined so many pairs of pants By crawling on her hands and knees, Because she was a cat. Who could always depend on her father To lift her up, pat her off, And put her back on her feet. Who looked to her mother's arms for comfort, Because if Mommy kissed the boo-boos away, Everything was alright. Who never doubted that Life Was the most wonderful thing To ever happen to her. Who knew that she Was the most wonderful thing To ever happen to Life. She's gone now, Like her Granddaddy, And the mountain house, And the fairy-tale dreams. But the memories remain.