- Text Size +
“The Chronicles of the Eclipses”

-“What do we have to fear but fear itself.”- Unknown

**~Permission to Scream~**

She slumps back in the recliner, gazing at the still laptop screen before her. Her light grey eyes scroll over to the decrypted black leather bound book on the desktop. Her light tan caramel fingers crawl over the book, fingering the edge of it: the white heavyweight papers lies un-touch beneath its black cover. Coral gulps, sliding further in her seat, her eyes locked on the laptop screen as her hands cups her police badge. She had worked long and hard to become a detective for the past seven years and now more than ever, she was grateful she was alive and well to stare at her golden badge that held her honor. Before she could send out the e-mail, she quickly scans over the long extended research paper on the gang she was living with for the past six months.

Sighing, she cracks her neck, blowing out a strand of cinnamon hair away from her plump red full lips. ‘Perhaps I could sell this story with no name about this gang. No one would probably believe me except my department.’ She thinks to herself, smirking, recalling when she first got the news of her next task. She was thrilled to be working on something new but when her boss told her what the next task would be, she was quick to change to her mind. Coral sighs and closes her eyes, smiling gently as she recalls her first meeting with her new partner and the news that had changed the rest of her life.
~*~

The oak door creaks gently open, allowing entrance to Coral who slipped into the large conference room. The pinewood smell greets her presence as she steps into the room. Her eyes scan over the orderly thick mahogany shelves aligning the interior of the office as a tall glass pane window faces out in the city below her. Smiling, she waves at the tall elegant man, Andrew, her boss. “Morning sir. What’s with the news?”

“Ahh yes Coral. Good morning to you. I have a request to ask of you.” Andrew whispers, he passes his hands through his neatly combed black hair, fidgeting with his black tie as he takes a seat behind his office desk. The dark recliner groans with his weight as he stares back at her.

Coral raises her dark eyebrows and smirks, taking a seat in a cushioned chair before him. “Request huh? I hope this is something good.”

“Well it depends on how you define good.” Andrew whispers, clasping his hands on the top of his desk. His dark eyes trail down a sheet of paper on the open manila folder as he takes a deep breath.

Coral narrows her eyes, sitting back in the chair. “Andrew just tell me. What’s going on?”

Andrew clears his throat, his heavy pale hands quiver over the sheet of paper on his desk. “Ok, very well. You’ve been a well trained detective for the past few years working here in this department and I think its time to take on a new task.” He pauses and hands Coral the sheet of paper that was irking him.

Coral takes the white paper, her eyes glancing quickly over the letter as she gulps and raises her eyes back at him. “Andrew, you can’t be serious.”

“I’m sorry but it is. The story has it that a group of an all male gang has been ruling and terrorizing the citizens of Davenport, Florida. I’m sending you down there on a mission to find the leader of this mafia and end it once and for all.”

Coral smirks, shaking her head, “Why me? Do you honestly believe I can get in contact with these men?”

“Actually that’s all been set up. And you can have contact through your partner.”

“Excuse me? Did you just say partner? I work alone Andrew and you know it.”

Andrew sighs and closes the manila folder on his desk, “For this task, you’ll need this man’s help. He’s a detective in that area and has been trying to get close to ending the gang’s order.”

“Hold up. I don’t understand. We deal with mafias and gangs all the time here in New York. Why the difference down there and why does this involve us or rather me?”

Andrew blows out a puff of air, nervously glancing around his office, staring at his window, viewing the Manhattan skyline. “Howie, your partner has been working on it and has heard of your success in catching the kingpins of New York’s gangs. Hence he wants your help for this thing down in Florida.”

Coral clicks her tongue on the roof of her mouth. “Right of course. And when do I meet this man?”

Andrew grins and pushes the intercom on his desk, contacting the receptionist up front. “Gail, can you send in Mr. Dorough please?”

Crackling and buzzing is heard through the intercom as the receptionist voice responds back, “Yes sir, he’s on his way now.”

“Thank you, I’ll make sure to repay you back later for keeping him on wait for a while.”

Gail’s voice bubbles in laughter over the intercom as Andrew raises his head and hands Coral a pair of tickets. “Here are your flights back. Howard already knows the concept of the task at hand so I’ll let him explain when he gets here. Just make sure that you keep a daily journal once you gain access into the mafia’s sector.”

Coral shakes her head in utter confusion as the office door is opened. Both pairs of eyes turn to see an average height Latin man enter the room, his dark eyes and hair gave off a sudden air of dignity that like Andrew, called for command and attention. Coral smiles at Howie, letting her eyes do the roaming for the moment as her newly assigned partner graces across the floor dressed wonderfully in a black business suit.

Howie stands before Coral, extending his hand out to her as she gracefully clasps his hand for a solid shake. “Nice to meet you. Andrew didn’t tell me you were this beautiful in person.”

Coral lets out a sudden giggle as she pulls her hand away, feeling her cheeks catch a hint of warm flush since the presence of this man. “Yes well, Andrew tends to keep such things under wraps.”

“And I can see why. If he told me what a beauty I would be working with, I might have been blinded on my work.” Howie graciously responds, shaking Andrew’s awaiting hand.

“Well now that you both met, I’ll leave you two alone so you can get the rest of the information you need Coral.” Andrew states, exiting the office, closing the door behind him.

“Well Howard. What is this I heard about you needing my help?” Coral states: placing her hands on her hips, tugging on her short black pelted skirt that was slowly riding up her thighs.

Howie smiles, his eyes catching sight of her exposed thighs. “Just call me Howie and I heard about your connections with gangs. The reason I asked for your help is because I fear I lost a good partner while working on this case. His name is Kevin, no one has heard anything from him since the past month and his wallet was found by the police with missing valid information. I have an idea that Kevin is now working for this gang and I want to get him back and save those that are in there.”

Coral leans back, almost sitting on the edge of Andrew’s office desk. “So we’re to save a bunch of men along with your partner out of the clutches of the main leader of the gang?”

“Yes. The group is called “The Eclipses” Which is an all male group formed of about forty and multiplying in number as we speak in population. The men range from as early as about sixteen to about forty years or so, with their leader Armerian in charge.” Howie speaks, eyeing Coral’s every action.

She smiles, blushing at the man’s gaze as she clears her throat. “The Eclipses huh? Very well. So how do you propose I get into this group if it’s only men?”

Howie licks his lips, smirking, “Well I think it’s about due time for a change don’t ya think?”

“You make it sound simple.”

“It isn’t, but I wanted to sound encouraging.” Howie whispers, trailing his fingers over the sheet of paper Coral is holding in her hands.

Coral giggles, handing Howie the sheet. Howie tucks the sheet of paper into his inner pocket of his jacket as he continues to talk, “Coral correct?” He pauses.

She nods and waits for him to continue.

Howie exhales slowly and gulps, “I don’t know if you know anything about this new group, but in a matter of months this mafia has grown to be known around the state as one of the most violent groups ever existing.”

“Do you want me to be scared at this point?” Coral stands up straight, moving away from the desk, her long cinnamon locks brushing loosely down her back.

Howie smirks, “I hope not. I’m just letting you know that what you’ll be seeing aren’t the horror movies. It’s worse.”

Coral nods her head, gulping down the fear and nausea that suddenly throbbed in her throat. “Lucky for you I love horror movies.”

“Well then this should be an experience then right?” Howie asks, leading the way out of the office.

“Yup, adventures always excite me.” Coral smiles: stepping out Andrew’s office and locking the door behind her.

“This will be one adventure that will keep you up awake at nights.”

Coral smirks, “I don’t get scared that easily.” And she heads to her office to grab her wallet before catching up to Howie and Andrew who were discussing the new task at hand. She smirks, leaning on her office threshold watching Howie’s movement as he talks to Andrew a few feet away. She never worked with anyone on a case since she was fast on her feet and no one in the department had the energy and same ambition to solve some cases around her as quick as she did. But she raises her eyebrows, wondering for the first time why Andrew would assign her a partner for the first time. Was this case too difficult that she would need to rely on someone else? It was strange for her. It seemed like now she had to watch out for someone’s life as well as her own and she didn’t know if she was up for that. Something inside her told her maybe this man, Howie would come in useful after all. He did have access to the gang’s location and dealings and he has records of their past trading and such. She had only vaguely heard of “The Eclipses” and their money hungry leader. They did dangerous dealings with drugs and most of the members there were either forced to become part of the gang or mandated to follow through with certain things for the safety of their very own lives. She lets her thoughts wonder away as her name was called by Andrew.

“Coral, you’ll be catching a flight this evening with this man and should arrive in Florida shortly. Make sure you keep tabs on the notes.” He pauses, handing Coral a black leather bound book, the thick white pages hungry for usage as Coral touches the papers. “And here’s a cell phone for any emergency notices you might want us to know or if you need anything, supplies and such.” He states, handing her a black Motorola mobile phone.

Coral smirks, slipping the phone and the book into the inner pockets of her black blazer jacket. “Will do sir. But I have a question, if I’m to head out shortly, what will I take with me? I haven’t even packed.” She eyes him as Howie nods.

“I’ve already taken care of that.” Howie states, snapping his fingers for the entrance of a golden hair beauty strolling into the hallway with two carry on suitcases and a full backpack.

“I had my assistant help buy you some items that a woman might need. You have all the essentials: socks, shoes of all kinds, shirts, skirts and jeans. As well as some boots and sneakers. I even made sure you have the basic needs of everything from a soap to a toothbrush.” Howie smiles, calling the fair haired woman over to him.

Coral smiles gently, eying the woman. She was a tall slender woman with honeysuckle locks that topple and caress down her back beautifully. The woman’s eyes shine wildly in its mixed colors of blue and green swirls as her snowy complexion glittered in the harsh white florescent lights above them. Howie’s voice breaks her thoughts on the woman. “I would like to introduce you to one of my vital members on the force at the precinct I work in Palm Beach. Coral this is Arianna, Arianna meet Coral.”

Both woman greet each other briefly, each eying the other curiously.

“Yes well Coral sweetie. I think its time to head out.” Andrew breaks the silence, eyeing the three before him.

Howie nods, “Yes we have a flight to get to and we don’t want to miss it.” And he slips a backpack on his shoulder, heading out of the police station with Arianna following.

Coral faces Andrew, chewing on her lower lip. “Well off I go then.”

“Alright and Coral?” Andrew whispers, his dark eyes holding a seldom look.

“Yes?”

“Good luck, you’ll need it.” He states, waving her off as she smiles and gives the man a quick embrace.

“I’ll be fine. I have a team now, who would have thought?” She smirks, exiting the station to catch up to Howie and Arianna.

Andrew watches her slip out of the glass front doors and sighs, feeling the gaze of his receptionist on him. “What?”

Gail smiles gently, brushing back a lock of her blood red hair, “You’re worried about her.”

Andrew nods, “I should be. She doesn’t know what she’ll see over there. I fear her safety greatly but with another person there to help her out, I can breathe a little easier tonight.”

“Perhaps.” Gail whispers, answering a phone call at the front desk.

Andrew sighs and heads back to his office to get some work done, thoughts of the deadly task, itching his mind.
~*~

“Here, let me take that for you.” Coral helps Arianna carry some of the luggage on the parking lot. Arianna smiles and hands a suitcase to her as she manages to carry another load of clothes and items in a tote bag.

As the three make their way to an awaiting vehicle, Coral’s curiosity was getting the best of her and she needs vital data on the task she was to do. “Howie, I have a few questions to ask if you don’t mind.”

Howie gazes over her, nodding his head, his soft caramel tan complexion shining gently in the mid-afternoon sun. “Sure.”

“What’s with the name?”

Howie smirks, “My momma named me that, not sure really…”

He gets cut off as Arianna intercepts, “Howie, she was asking why the gang calls themselves the Eclipses.”

Howie smirks, “Oh that, well then.” He pauses, clearing his throat at the minor embarrassment he had. “They tend to do their dirty work in the night and since they’re known to be usually handsome and attractive, something pretty like an actual eclipse, they carry the name.”

Coral smiles gazing at Arianna who had a please grin sprawled on her cheeks. “Handsome men huh? Sounds like I’m the lucky one then.”

Howie smiles, “You may be one of the luckiest women around then.”

“Maybe. So about the gang we’re to find, you said they were known for violent attacks and outbreaks right?”

He nods, licking his lower lip slowly, “Yes. Its weird, all the members are trained in artillery to perfection, even those of the young ages carry a pistol or such with ease like a trained solider for battle.”

“And they’re known for the drugs, what type exactly?” Coral ask, reaching a black rented SUV, helping Arianna load the luggage in the backseats.

Howie loads the last of the luggage, flinging the heavy back pack on the growing pile of clothes and items gathered. “From your basic hallucinations drugs to the all out mother of drugs.”

“Mother of drugs? What’s that, the crack, cocaine?” Coral asks: boarding in the back seat as Arianna takes the driver’s seat up front. Howie boards the passenger seat, buckling his seatbelt before he answered her question.

“Oh no, it’s more of thick mixture of the drugs at their most potent. They have a name for it, “Pandora’s box. It’s the ultimate drugs for those heavily addicted. The gang has succeeded with the development of such a drug that its trade and sold worldwide, bringing a hefty profit for the Eclipses. They seem to have made a name for themselves with that.”

“Pandora’s box? Pretty nifty huh? Why the name?” Arianna smirks, pulling the vehicle down the busy streets.

“When the drug is taken from the box, all hell as its said ensues, of course one will be addicted immediately.” Howie responds.

“Sounds like it. So Arianna, how long have you been in the police department down in Florida?” Coral asks, leaning back in the leather seat, hoping to get her mind off the job for a moment.

“Just call me Ari. And I’ve been doing this for almost twelve years now.” Arianna states causally, entering a highway.

“Twelve years?!” Coral whispers in shock, “That would make you how old then?”

Howie laughs, intercepting for a moment, “I never could ask that question, I’m not suppose to know her age, she said it was rude for a man to ask her that.”

Arianna chuckles, her slender hands grip the steering wheel as she drives them down one lane, turning towards the exit where the airport is at. “Cover your ears Howie.” Smirking, she does a quick glance behind mouthing out a number.

Laughing, Coral shakes her head, “You’re older than I am.”

“Twenty nine isn’t that old. I figured I still have a good year left in my twenties before I hit the sad thirties.” Arianna smirks, gazing at Howie besides her. “So I look young to you then Coral?”

“Yes. But that’s a good thing.”

“Good. I feel a number is just a number. I’m as young as I feel. And right now I feel as feisty as twenty year old and as horny as a fifteen year old.”

Coral breaks into a laugh as Howie joins along, everyone chuckling in ease. Arianna pulls up into the airport as they gather their belongings exiting the vehicle.

“Ok, one last question before we get on the flight.” Coral states, adjusting her back pack as they head over to their gate.

Arianna and Howie gaze at her as she formulates the last question for the time being. “You said they’re trained extremely well in the fighting tactics and weaponry, so are we bringing some of our own toys with us?” She smirks, giving her ticket to an employer at the airport.

Howie smiles, “We’ll bring our stuff, you’ll see. You’ll like what we have at our station.”

“Good, can’t wait to see what you have stored down there.” Coral gives him an impish grin, walking past him on the line.

Arianna giggles, shaking her head, “Way a go D man, you got yourself a smart one who can play back that game of yours.” Teasing him, she hands an airport employer her ticket.

Howie rolls his eyes, laughing as he hands his ticket over as well, joining the two women down the hallway to check their bags.
~*~

He runs quickly, his heart slamming against his chest as he fumbles for his cell. “Oh damn.” He gasps, turning a corner on a street and realizing it was a dead end street. “Uhhhh, hell no! This can’t be!” He backs up until his back was pressed against the hard cold granite stone wall, his breathing coming out irregular. He struggles to maintain calm, as he tries to call through the police, but the frequency in this particular area was too weak to pull the call through. He gulps, shaking his head in fear as three men blocked the only exit he had to escape. How he got here was still a mystery. He was chased a few blocks back as some men tried to kidnap him. He watches the three youths, the youngest in the center looked no more than sixteen years of age holding a semi-automatic at him.

The other two older boys inch closer to their victim, one holding a knife and bat. While the other held a metal bat and magnum at waist level. All three of the young men wore the gang colors of black and red and all three wore a wool mask over their face so their identity was concealed. The youngest one laughs, his lean tan shoulders poked through his black tank top as he steps closer to his victim. “You’re wanted.”

The man gulps and stares at the youth in confusion. “What?”

“Ain’t you A.J.?” The young man asks, holding his magnum tightly at him.

A.J. nods slowly, “How you know my name?”

“Didn’t I tell you, you’re wanted. Our leader wants you to be a part of our group.”

A.J. steps away from the wall, eyeing the young teenager. “Me? Be apart of your group? That’s alright, I’ll pass it up.”

The other two men snarl as gun shots went off around him. A.J. cringes at the loud bullets as the copper shells struck the wall behind him. “This ain’t no joke. You’re in, whether you said so or not.”

“And if you wanna live today, I say you follow us or die.” The older teenager holding the metal bat responds.

A.J. gulps, raising his hands up, “Why me?”

“Cause the leader said so. So you walking or should we shoot you now?” The youngest of the group responds, holding his gun with ease and profession.

A.J. gazes at the men and nods, sighing. ‘This is like the green line, my last walk.’ And he shuffles alongside the men, their weapons aimed at him as he gulps, his heart pounding rapidly at what could be happening next.
~*~

He laughs, enjoying the soft giggle coming from his child who wobbles slowly over to the edge of the pond, waving at a row of ducks swimming past him. “Easy there honey.” His wife calls out, taking her son’s little hand leading him away from the pond.

Brian stands up and heads over to the bench to gather their stuff. He turns to catch up to his wife and child but crashes into five black and red dressed men blocking his path. Brian skids to a stop to see a wool mask teenager pointing a pistol his way. Gulping, he backs away slowly, gazing at the five men before him, each wearing a mask to cover their face.

“Look I don’t have much money on me alright? I have a family over there.”

One of the men breaks into a laugh and snarls, “We’re not robbing you. You’re coming with us now.”

“Excuse me?”

“Bad in hearing? I said you coming with us now.” The gang member hisses out.

Brian shakes his head, eying to see where his wife is and she was out of clear view. He only thanks God that she won’t come back to get him for fear of someone getting hurt. “Why?”

“You ask too many questions.” Another member hisses out, loading his pistol.

Brian gulps, “Wait, don’t shoot!”

“Well shut the hell up and come with us NOW!” Another member growls out, aiming his magnum at him.

Brian closes his eyes, “Wait! What about my family? What will happen to them?”

Another member chuckles, grabbing Brian by the arm, “We’ll make sure they’re well taken care of.”

Brian shakes his head, “Where am I going?”

“With us punk.” Another wool masked member hisses out.

“Our leader will be pleased to see we got ya.” One of the black and red gang members hisses out.

Brian gulps as he was tugged along to a black tinted Benz, he looks over one of the young men’s shoulders, his last glance at his wife as he was pushed into the vehicle.
~*~

He yawns, trudging down the aisle, throwing a few food items into his cart. He reaches the end of the aisle and was about to turn into another food aisle when he crashes into someone. Nick cringes and looks up, “Ohhh ahhh, I’m so sorry sir. I didn’t see ya there.”

The tall muscular man gazes at him, a black trench coat draped over his shoulders as he gazes at the young fair headed man. “That’s ok. Look before you turn.”

Flustered Nick nods his head, “Uh yeah, right.” And he pushes the metal cart pass the man. Suddenly he feels his arm grabbed from behind as he was turned to face the attractive man glaring back at him. Nick gulps, shivering at the color red pupils the man has in his eyes.

“Like the color kid?” The deep tenor voice erupts from the dark cinnamon colored man.

“Uh cool contacts.” Nick mumbles, brushing away the grip, taking a step back.

“Thanks. I like ya kid.” The man states, a small grin appearing on his muscular face. “Tell ya what. Why don’t you come with me? I know a lot of friends who think you’d be cool to hang with.”

Nick stands a few inches away from the man, shaking his head, “Uh that’s aight. I have plans today.”

“And let me guess, hanging out with strangers isn’t one of them.” The man states, running his heavy hands through his thick set full of black hair.

“Yeah pretty much.” Nick growls out annoyed, wondering why he was still talking to the guy. Heading back to the cart, he was ready to walk away but stops at the cold touch of a weapon pressed on his hip.

“Maybe you might wanna think that through.” The man growls out.

Nick, not turning back, knew a pistol was on him. Gulping nervously, he could hear his heart beat so loudly that it seemed to thump from his ears. “You’re one of the Eclipses right?”

“Smart kid. Can think. I got orders to take you back with me now. Our leader Armerian wants to see you.” His thick voice rasps through Nick’s ears.

“You’re leader?”

“Yup. Make this easy for yourself. You’re going with me alive or dead. It doesn’t matter to me either way I’m still delivering to the boss.”

Nick raises his arms, facing the man, his cold sapphire orbs glare at the man as the gang member simply laughs, grasping Nick’s arm and leading him out to the back area of the supermarket, exiting the shopping area. He leads Nick to a decrypted parking lot where a dusty red jaguar was waiting for them. He pushes the young man into the passenger seat, all the while holding the pistol in his hand. “Now you behave and you might just make it to see our boss alive.” He grins, sliding into his driver seat, peeling the vehicle away from the abandoned parking lot.
~*~

Howie smiles, seeing the two women chatting away happily like old school friends. His eyes wonder over to the window as the plane slowly begins to move down the lane. He feels a soft touch on his hand and turns to see Coral smiling at him. “Hey you.”

“Hey I have a question. Since well, since we’re all working together. Can you tell me what happened with your partner exactly?” Coral asks curiously, leaning back in her cushioned seat.

Howie clears his throat, gazing at the window. “Uh yeah. I guess you’re right. Well uh, it was a month ago and we were on the edge of closing a case…” He begins, closing his eyes as he continues the story:

He sighs loudly annoyed, gazing over at Howie frustrated. “This is the only part of the job I hate. The waiting.” Kevin smirks, crossing his arms as he slides down his driver’s seat, waiting impatiently.

Howie chuckles: taking a sip out of his coffee, gazing at his raven haired friend, “Well this is always the fun part.”

Kevin smirks, “Yeah of course, you tell that to the cramp on my leg I got sitting here for hours.”

“I’ll make sure to do when I come back.” Howie chuckles, opening his side of the car door to buy something to eat.

“Where you going?” Kevin asks, leaning back in his seat.

“Getting something to eat. You want something?”

Kevin grimaces, shaking his head, “Na, no wait can you get the vanilla latte?”

Howie laughs, nodding his head as he closes the car door behind and crosses the street to the small café on the corner. He enters a café across the street. As he enters the coffee shop, he was greeted by the sweet intoxicating smell of vanilla, chocolate and caramel whiffs coming from the grinding coffee machines. As he eases his way over to the counter to order, he glances over to the store window staring at what seemed like a large figure hounding over the driver’s window of his car where Kevin was at. His eyes stay focus on that, as concern crept over him. Howie pushes through a large crowd that suddenly filled the coffee shop as he tries to make his way out of the shop. Painstakingly slowly, he manages to exit the shop, racing over his car. He peers at the car window to see that the large figure was no longer there and as he opens the car door on the driver’s side, Kevin had disappeared as well. Confusion lurked him as he scans his eyes through the car. There was nothing there that could have made Kevin just get up and leave and let alone with a stranger. But he gasps as his eyes caught a blood stain symbol of a circle and upside down V together: the symbol of the Eclipses. He gulps, “Damn! Oh God. They have him.” He whispers, shaking his head in disbelief as he leans on the side of the car. He just lost his partner and now he feared Kevin was either dead at the moment or forced to join the gang.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**