- Text Size +
Chapter 23: I'm Going To Kill You Nick!

"Man, have we gone down on the quality of hotels we stay at nowadays, or what?" AJ spoke out to really noone in paticular as he layed sprawled out on the middle of the stage, rubbing a sore spot on the small of his back. He grimaced in discomfort as the spot throbbed with a small aching pain. Damn that bed back at the hotel, it had to be one of the most uncomfortable ones he had slept on in quite a while. It most defenitely made sleeping in his bunk on the tour bus look good.

"Why do you say that, Aje?" Howie asked, just barely catching AJ's comment as his ears were mostly tuned into the sound of the band tuning the instruments and getting them ready while he, himself, was doing warm-up stretches to get ready for their morning rehersal. The only thing really keeping them from proceeding on with starting the rehersal, was the absence of two of their fellow bandmates. But, Howie had the feeling they would be showing up all too soon, so he didn't give their absence much second thought.

"Because the beds are harder then a freaking rock," AJ grumbled, sitting up and moving on to rub the back of his neck. Maybe even sleeping on the floor that night would be more comfortable then going through the discomfort of sleeping on that damn bed again.

"Maybe it's just your bed, because I slept quite comfortably last night," Brian said, just sitting back and lounging. He had a look of content on his face which made AJ more then anything want to gag is disgust.

"Speak to Leighanne all night again?" Howie chuckled.

"Yep," was all Brian answered, his lips curling into a lopsided grin.

Again, AJ wanted to gag.

"So, J, how'd therapy go last night?" Brian asked, finally jumping up to do a few warm-up stretching excersises of his own. Two sets of curious eyes turned their utmost attention onto AJ, to inquire about the subject they had all been curious about, but had enough respect not to ask about the night before.

"Therapy? Well, uh...it was fine," AJ shrugged casually. He got onto his hands and knees and positioned himself to do a set of push-ups.

"It was fine?"

"Sure."

"C'mon, ya gotta have a better answer then that," Brian pushed and Howie nodded. "So what exactly went on? What is your therapist like?"

"The truth? Nothing much went on during the first therapy session, so don't be dissappointed that it wasn't very exciting," AJ heaved, pushing himself up and down with his arms, his biceps flexing. "All that went on was a bunch of introduction talking. Nothing more, nothing less. You should ask D what he thinks about her, though." A sly grin spread across his face as he shot a side glance at his best friend.

Brian also shot Howie a side glance; the shorter latino stood there looking merely confused at the fact that the conversation had so suddenly been turned on him. "What do you think about her?" Brian interrogated his friend, crossing his arms against his chest. The look on his face merely told Howie he wouldn't be leaving any time soon if he didn't provide him with a suitable answer.

"...I don't know what you're talking about," Howie answered quickly after some slight hesitation.

"Oh but D, I do believe you are lying," AJ grinned.

Howie shot the other latino the 'death glare'. "No clue whatcha talkin' about, amigo."

AJ interrupted his push-ups and jumped up from the stage floor, slinging his arm over Howie's shoulders. Howie could only roll his eyes, but looked far from happy with what AJ said next. "Our dear ol' pal here has the hots for my therapist. Quite the cutest thing when he set eyes on her last night. I swear, he was about to-"

Howie jumped away from AJ so quickly that one would think AJ's touch was that of fire and had burnt the shorter latino. His glare darkened. "That is a lie, Aje!"

"Quick to deny it, 'Rok. He just doesn't want anyone to know," AJ continued on as knowingly as before.

Howie could feel his cheeks burning, only adding to his embarrassment for the fact that he knew they were turning a beet red color. Oh man was AJ asking for it at the moment. "Shut up, Aje. You are so full of it."

"See what I mean, 'Rok?"

"Ah, isn't that just sweet? D's got a crush-"

"Zip it, mi amigo, if you know what's good for you. A crush? You make me sound like a teenage school girl from the valley!" Howie exclaimed in an appalled manner as he threw his hands up in the air.

"But Howard, you know you got a crush! Uh-huh! Uh-huh!" Brian teased, raising his voice an octive higher. For added effect, he placed one hand on his hip in a girlish manner and used his other hand to motion in the air.

Howie grimaced. "Maybe it's you who needs to go through therapy..."

It was Brian's turn to roll his eyes and he immaturely stuck his tongue out at the shorter latino. Then just when he was about to make a pointless comeback to save a percentage of his manly ego, there came an interruption from the side of the stage that was loud enough to cause the entire band to cease their tuning and all sound from the instruments to come to a screeching stop. All pairs of eyes turned to look just in time to see a bundle of blonde come dashing onto the stage. They weren't surprised that they immediately recognized the blonde as their dear friend and bandmate, Nick, but the fact that he was running around like a chicken with it's head cut off and screaming bloody murder, was what got them to wondering.

"Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!"

"Get back here, you little shit!"

The new voice was immediately recognized as coming from Kevin, and by the sound of it, he was extremely pissed off, for he rarely used explicit language as such. Then not even two seconds later, the tall Kentuckian came running around on stage, followed by a loud roaring of laughter from anyone.

Nick came running by AJ, Brian, and Howie. "Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!"

"I'm going to kill you, Carter!"

"W-what happened to your h-hair, cuz?" Brian struggled to get out through his belly-shaking bout of laughter. He used a shakey finger to point with amusement at Kevin's head. The taller Kentuckian's usually dark raven hair was no longer that, but now a platinum shiny silver grey, easily making him look as if he had aged years in advance before his time. Brian and Howie were already rolling around on the stage in a fit of laughter.

"I am going to kill him for this!!!" Kevin roared, stopping only long enough to glare at his cousin. "Look at what the little shit did to my hair! I'll kill him!!!"

"It was only a joke!" Nick exclaimed as Kevin took off chasing after him again.

"A joke? A joke?! You put dye in my freaking shampoo! I don't care if it was a joke! You ruined my hair! I'm going to kill you!!!"

"But it's only temporary! It should wash out in a day or two!"

"That's not the point! I'm going to sue you for ruining my personal image!!!"

"But Kev, you don't have a personal image and you never have!"

"That's it! Now I'm really going to kill you!!!"

The chase continued on with the two running laps around the stage, the whole while Nick still screamed as if his life depended on it, which at the moment it was sure looking that way, and Kevin screamed his head off at the blonde. All extra activities from anyone had completely stopped now and everyone was beginning to gather around the three 'sane' Backstreet Boys to watch the scene developing before them. From what they could see, Kevin was quickly gaining ground on the tall airheaded blonde and bets started waving through the small gathering of people.

"You're dead, Carter! You're dead!!!"

"But I'm too pretty to die!!!"

"He's way too full of himself," Brian murmured as he reached into his pocket for his wallet.

"And he's you're best friend," AJ teased. He, too, reached into his pocket for his wallet.

"What was I thinking..."

"The world may never know..." Howie cut in with a grin.

"You have one second to stop, Carter!" Kevin screamed, louder then ever.

"Like I'm that stupid!" Nick screamed right back.

"That's surprising! Too bad I don't believe you!"

"C'mon, give me a break! Can't you take a joke?!"

"NO!!!"

A jumbled blur of Nick and then Kevin came whirring past the small gathering and soon dissappeared backstage. The presence of Kevin and Nick's voices were still very much heard until they were interrupted by a loud commotion of something being run into and/or being knocked over, followed by a strangled and pain-filled cry of "shit!!!" coming from Nick. Everyone raised their eyebrows as silence enveloped the stage and backstage area.

Then...

"Take that to teach you a lesson about attempting something like this again! You're riding on a thin line, Carter! A thin line!" Kevin yelled back over his shoulder as he appeared on stage again, a satisfied grin on his face. He looked to see everyone staring at him with looks of everything from question to confusion to concern to amusement. Just about any expression you could think of, and all Kevin could do was hit them back with a casual look, despite the growing looks of amusement because of his "new" hairstyle. "Shall we begin with rehersal?" he asked with a grin.

*****


I lie awake on a long, dark night
I can't seem to tame my mind
Slings and arrows are killing me inside
Maybe I can't accept the life that's mine
No, maybe I can't accept the life that's mine

Simple living is my desperate cry
Been trading love with indifference, and yeah it suits me just fine
I try to hold on, but I'm calloused to the bone
Maybe that's why I feel alone
Yeah, maybe that's why I feel so alone

'Cause me...I'm rusted and weathered
Barely holding together
I'm covered with skin that peels and it just won't heal
I'm rusted and weathered
Barely holding together
I'm covered with skin that peels and it just won't heal...

The sun shines and I can't avoid the light
I think I'm holding on to life too tight
Ashes to ashes and dust to dust
sometimes I feel like giving up, yeah
I said, sometimes I feel like giving up

'Cause me...I'm rusted and weathered
Barely holding together
I'm covered with skin that peels and it just won't heal
I'm rusted and weathered
Barely holding together
I'm covered with skin that peels and it just won't heal
It just won't heal

The day reminds me of you
The night hides your truth
The earth is a voice
Speaking to you
Take all this pride
And leave it behind
Because one day it ends
One day we die
Believe what you will
That is your right
But I choose to win
So I choose to fight
To fight

'Cause me...I'm rusted and weathered
Barely holding together
I'm covered with skin that peels and it just won't heal
I'm rusted and weathered
Barely holding together
I'm covered with skin that peels and it just won't
Covered with skin that peels and it just won't
Covered with skin that peels and it just won't heal...


[Creed (Weathered/2001) - "Weathered"]

AJ scribbled aimlessly in his journal, listening intently to the lyrics of the song as he sat comfortably atop a table backstage, his back nestled against the cement wall, cooling down his body which was still overheated from the intense rehersal that morning. For once since they had started the rehersal, he was finally able to fully catch his breath and relax. It felt like he was in complete bliss to be able to sit back and just...chill for a while. And nobody was seeming to be bothering him at the moment, so he was happy. Happy to just have a bit of time to himself.

SMACK!

The pen dropped from AJ's hand as he felt the sharp blow come in contact with his right shoulder. A low growl erupted silently within him as he quickly closed the journal and slowly looked up, displeased to find himself looking up at a pair of blue eyes that belonged to none other then the infamous Nickolas "Frack" Carter. 'Well excuse me if I don't scream maniacally because I'm not a teeny' AJ thought sarcastically, almost rolling his eyes as if he had said it outloud. Still, niether exchanged a word and an uncomfortable silence began to develope until AJ pulled the headphones away from his ears and finally spoke up. "Can I help you?"

"What's up?" Nick asked, looking as if he had suddenly loosened up and shook his arms out.

AJ was forced to look at the blonde oddly. "Damn Nicky, I think that bump you aquired on your head really screwed your brain up."

"Psh..."

"Are you sure you're doing alright? That bump isn't looking very good."

Nick brought a hand up to his forehead, his expression suddenly changing. It was amazing how quickly his expressions and moods could change like that. "Actually, my head does hurt...quite a bit..."

AJ couldn't help but chuckle. "Nicky my boy, you will never learn..." Then he saw Nick eying the journal with curiosity and he quickly held it out of the blonde's reach. "What is it that you wanted?"

"Wanted to see what's up," Nick answered shortly. "Whatcha writin' there?"

"A poem?" AJ lied lamely.

"You still write poetry?"

"Are you and Kevin related?"

"Ah, Hell no!"

AJ rolled his eyes. "Yes, I still write poetry. What's it to you?"

"Can I see?"

"Um...No!"

"Aw, c'mon."

"No."

"Please?"

"No."

"Please?"

"No."

"Please?"

"No."

"Please?"

"No."

"Please?!"

AJ jumped down from the table, careful not to drop the journal or his cd player. "Read my flapping white-boy lips! N-O! NOOOOO!"

"Ahem, is there...a problem here?" a soft, yet stern voice sounded from behind AJ. He turned around in a flash to see his therapist, Jeanie, striding hesitantly towards the two of them. Her facial expressions spoke for her as if she felt like she were intruding.

"Nope, no problem here," AJ answered with a smile and waved Jeanie over. He looked to see, and much to his embarrassment, that Nick was sizing Jeanie up and down, and all too blatantly. Was it really that impossible for Nick to hide such a fact? AJ smacked Nick upside the head as Jeanie approached him.

"Kevin said I would be able to find you back here," Jeanie spoke, directing her words solely on AJ.

"And here I am," AJ joked, catching out of the corner of his eye that Nick was nearly drooling. 'Damn dog...' he thought as he quickly smacked Nick upside the head again. And as Nick glared at him while bringing a hand up to his head, AJ spoke again. "Jeanie, meet Nick Carter, my friend/fellow bandmate. Nick, meet Jeanie McGuire, my therapist."

Nick immediately reached out and took hold of Jeanie's hand to shake it.

"Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Carter."

"It's Nick, and the pleasure is all mine."

Jeanie smiled uncomfortably.

"Cool accent. Where ya from?"

"...England..."

"Ooh, really? Is it really true that everyone in England drinks tea all day and always talks about the weather?"

Jeanie now stared at Nick with a blank expression.

"Carter, you're retarded. Now leave," AJ rolled his eyes as he crossed his arms over his chest, staring blankly at the blonde.

"Oh fine, I can tell when I'm not wanted around," Nick answered, glaring at AJ. "Catcha late," he spoke towards Jeanie, then walked off.

"Is he always like that?" Jeanie asked with an odd expression.

"No, only when his hormones are racing..." AJ shrugged. "Wait, that would be all the time...so I guess the answer to your question is yes."

"He's quite the interesting character."

"Heh, you'll get used to him."

Jeanie smiled. "Well, are you busy right now? Because if you aren't, then I would really like to get going on our second session. Is that ok with you?"

AJ looked around absentmindedly. "Sure, why not?"

"Great."

"We can head to mine and the fellas' dressing-room, if that would work?"

"That works just fine."

"Follow me then."

*****

"Seven minutes, guys!" the stage manager announced as he came running through the backstage area in a hurried manner. If only the Boys knew exactly how much stress that guy was put through...

"Damnit, where are my shades?!" Nick yelled as he came stomping by, tugging at his already whacked-up hair. It still sounded quite odded hearing that coming from Nick, since AJ was usually the one who was complaining about not being able to find his shades. But since Nick had recently started wearing shades during parts of the concert, he was always seeming to misplace them. This scene should have been quite normal, considering Nick was involved.

Then again, who said Nick was normal...

"Did you look in the dressing-room?" Brian yelled in Nick's direction.

"Yes, and they're not there!"

"How about your duffle bag?" Howie suggested.

"Not there!" Nick did a full 360° degree turn, frustration masking his face. He spotted Kevin making last minute adjustments on his outfit for the first few numbers and Nick hurried over to him. "Kev! Kevin! Hey! I need your help!".

Kevin failed to answer.

"C'mon Kev, I'm having a crisis!"

Kevin still failed to answer.

"Hey grandpa!"

Kevin's eyes snapped towards Nick so quickly, that it made Nick jump backwards, especially when he saw the 'death glare' Kevin was giving him.

"Uh-oh..." Nick squeaked and immediately turned around to run away as Kevin began to reach for his throat. "Sunglasses! Sunglasses! Has anyone seen my sunglasses?!"

That's when Brian busted out laughing. "You dummy! They're on your head, Frack!"

AJ turned away at the moment from watching the scene and pulled his cellphone out of his pocket. He had just a few minutes left. That was all he needed to say hello quickly and that he would call later. So he quickly dialed the number, not even giving the speed-dial feature a second thought.

*RING!*

"Aje, two minutes!" Howie called over to him.

*RING!*

"Ok!" AJ yelled back over his shoulder.

*RING!*

"Hello?"

AJ's heart skipped several beats. "Jaymee?"

"Yes, who is this?"

"It's Alex-"

"J, we have to get into position!" Brian ordered, running up to AJ and tugging on his arm.

"Give me a minute!"

"You don't have a minute!"

"Alex?" Jameelah called out.

"But-"

"Now!"

"Alex?"

*CLICK*