- Text Size +
Behind the lime light - Chapter 1
Alexander James McLean was bored. Bored and tired. The reason for this feeling was called a plane and he was once again on his way to another country to do another small tour. This time it was Canada that was getting the visit. They were scheduled to do a few concerts, interviews and TV shows. It was a one and a half week trip and the capital Quebec was their first stop.

He wasnīt alone on this flight since both Howie and Nick had boarded with him in Orlando earlier that morning. Kevin and Brian, who had been at home over their week long vacation, were flying in from Lexington on a later flight.

Lucky Bastards. They didnīt have to get up at four in the morning to catch a connecting flight to Miami and straight from there to Quebec. Looking at his watch he found that they had about three more hours left in the air and his stomach was growling with hunger. Hopefully they would soon be served food since he was absolutely starving!

Johnny had booked them coach and the space was so cramped that he had a hard time stretching out. It was a full seated plane, so booked that his mom, who usually traveled with them, had to take a later plane. AJ sighed. He wished that Lou and Johnny could at least for once let them ride business class, especially since the management was traveling that class!

Still everything could be relative and it was way better to the planes they had to travel with when they were in Asia the week before this one. He had to admit that the two week long tour to 10 different countries in Asia had been pretty fun, but also very exhausting. Once they got over the bad jet lag that plagued them all it was time to move to another city; another country. On top of everything they had caught a nasty flu bug that had followed them all the time and at on occasion, AJ had been so sick that he had to cancel a concert. Lou had raised hell but fortunately his mom had backed him up and he got a red card. As a matter of fact he was still feeling the side effects from the flu and the cold that he had for a while didnīt seem to shake.

The tempo had been pretty hard and there had been times when AJ had wanted to say 'Fuck it all' but heīd always stopped. After all this was his life and he loved being on stage performing. He could thank his lucky stars that heīd been so fortunate to do something like this and the day when he stopped being grateful he knew it was time to quit. But hopefully this wouldnīt come for a while, especially since they hadnīt made it in the states yet.

He sighed, getting his friends attention.

"Youīre ok man?" Howie Dorough glanced up from the book he was reading.

"Yeah sure."

"Ok, what youīre thinking about?" His friend wanted to know.

"Eh...you know..nothing. Life you know." AJ shrugged not wanting to talk about what was on his mind. Even if Howie or D as he otherwise was called was someone that stood close to him he had no intention to reveal what was on his mind. It wasnīt that Howie wasnīt a good listener. No it was more that he didnīt feel like talking serious in a crowded plane and also the Latino looked like he could need a good days sleep instead of listening to his problems.

"Anything you wanna talk about?" Howie had put his book down, prepared to listen.

"Nah Iīm fine."

"You sure?"

"Yes!" "Ok," Howie turned back to his book again. "But if you wanna talk man, Iīm here you know."

"Yeah I know." AJ grinned. This was so much like the friend he knew. Howie wasnīt much of a talkative person but when he said something it was either important or words of comfort. Sweet D was a person that always wanted to make sure that everything was all right. He was being the groups counselor.

Next to him, beside the window, sat his other travel companion, 16 year old Nickolas Gene Carter. He appeared to be sleeping but AJ knew better. Nick hated to fly and this was his way to cope with fear. Escape by sleep.

Catching a glance at his friend he noticed that he was pretty pale. 'Not that the kid got a tan or anything but he seemed almost sickly' AJ thought with a sigh. The last thing they needed was that one of them would be struck with a bug since this often lead to the others being infected and thenwho would do the show? He hoped that the paleness on his friend's cheeks was just from the fear of flying combined with a sleepless night.

"Heīs asleep?" It was Howie making sure that Nick is doing fine.

"Mmm..I think so."

"Good he needed that. Did you see how pale and exhausted he looked over at the airport? You could think that heīd been on a long tour instead of coming back from a break."

"Yeah." AJ nodded. "But you know how Nick is. He has probably tried to fit in everything in his spare time. You know meeting friends and playing in that band of his." AJ grinned. "Whatīs that band called? Fu..Funky something.."

"Funky Chickens." Howie corrected him. "Yes youīre probably right."

"Thatīs a hell of weird name," AJ commented, shaking his head.

"Well, what do you expect by Kaos?" Howie said with a smile. "Did you ever listen to them?"

"Nope Nickīs been pretty secretive about them. I think itīs some chick playing in that band that keeps him going." AJ laughed. "Who would think that Nicky here," he pointed with his thumb to the teen, "would fall in love"

"Mmm." Howie agreed.

"Anyway what were we talking about..oh yeah about how much stuff he does on his free time. Iīm pretty sure that Jane has him doing some stuff too, you know like interviews and shit."

"You really think so?" His friend looked surprised.

"Yeah hell..mom says that she really keeps them going." He sighed. "Actually itīs kind of sad. Now they are playing all their cards on Aaron too. Thatīs why they donīt follow him on this trip."

"Ok." Howie said no more. That was an indication that he didnīt want to talk any longer

AJ on the other hand turned back his attention to Nick, wondering if the blonde heard anything and if he did what he thought about whatīs being said.

************************************************************************************************************

"Finally!"AJ burst out as the stewardess came with her cart. "Iīm starving."

"Yes," Howie agreed, putting down his book and folding out the tray table. "Itīll be good."

The blonde stewardess smiled as she handed them one small white box each. "Here you go. Beverages will be served separately"

"OK." AJ smiled back at the good-looking stewardess. Looking at the size of her skirt he found that it was way too long for his liking. He sighed. Why did they have to look like models and wear costumes that looked like old woman's clothes? Why couldnīt they show off their long legs instead? But to tell the truth he didnīt care. He was a boobies man. Kevin was the leg man.

"Bone are you listening to what sheīs saying?" Howie nudged him in his side.

"Eh..uh..what?"

"I said she was asking about Nick."

"Oh," AJ looked confused. "What about him?"

"She wanted.." Howie started but was cut off by the stewardess.

"I was just wondering if you think he would want something. She nodded at Nick.

"Sure." AJ kept smiling. Maybe she wouldnīt look too shabby in a tight top. He watched as she walked away with the cart.

"BONE!" Now Howie was really trying to get his attention. She had left him with a white meal box in his hand.

"What?" AJ said a bit annoyed. God why did D always interrupt him when he was admiring some good stuff.

"You gonna wake up Nick or not? I cant hold this one." He shook the box.

"Yeah..Yeah.." He shook his head. "God D you can be so annoying sometimes." He didnīt see his friend make a face but he guessed it was happening. Instead he turned To Nick, shaking him hard in the shoulder. "Dude wake up!"

Nick showed no sign in waking up.

He shook a bit harder next time, "I said wake up. Itīs time to eat."

There was a mumble coming from the package and if AJ hadnīt been so starving and wanting to eat so bad instead of having to baby-sit his younger brother he would have been more compassionate. He shouted "I said wake up."

Nick groaned and Howie yelped. "Bone that was pretty unnecessary"

"Oh yeah..you wake him up then." AJ snapped, "'cause Iīm gonna eat."

Howie stretched an arm over AJ but soon noticed that it was hopeless. Nick showed no sign of waking up. "Strange." Latino snickered. "He seems to sleep pretty heavy."

"Yeah." AJ sighed, "but you know what that means D?"

Howie looked a bit surprised at him. "No."

"It means that you get stuck holding his food while I eat." He looked at Howie who seemed to rethink his option. "So you want me to wake him up or not?"

A sigh was heard. "Ok."

"You sure? I mean Iīm gonna do it MY way." There were a teasing glitz in his eyes.

"Yeah..Yeah do it." It was Howie's turn to be impatient.

"Ooookeeeey," he put his sandwich down. "but donīt say that I didnīt warn you." With that he looked at Nick one more time before hitting him hard in his side. "Dude I said wake up. YOU STINK!"

Howie winced. "Jay you didnīt have.." He started just to get a hard look from AJ. He stopped himself. Either the hit or the words woke Nick up because he sat up a confused in his seat. "What? What? How?"

His hand rubbed his side from the hit. "Why did you have to do that?" The tone was whiny when he realized what hit him.

"'Cause I said you stink." AJ spat, giving him a well practiced hard glare. "Did you fart man?"

"Uh..wha..what?" Nick looked at his friend. Then as the words sank into his mind he said in a defense tone. "NOO..Noo I did not." He added. "Why do I always have to be the one that farts?"

"'Cause it usually is you." AJ explained with a grin.

Nick didnīt look so amused. Stretching his body over AJ he said to Howie, "You know that I didnīt do it. Tell him."

Howie smiled and AJ grinned even wider. This was fun.

"Tell him!" Nick was starting to sound whiny and mad, ready to hit both Howie and AJ. "Tell him D." Now he was pleading.

The words and/or the puppy dog look got the Latino as he said with a sigh. "No Nicky you did not. Bone is just pulling your leg." Turning to AJ he said with a sigh. "Knock it off Bone."

The rebel glared at his friend but said nothing. Nick however did.

"Why do you always have to be so mean?" He looked at them accusingly while rubbing his sore side.

"Itīs fun." It was true. Teasing and joking with Nick was a favorite pleasure that the guys never ceased a chance to do. At least to a point when the teen wasnīt hurt.

With a sigh AJ dug into his sandwich again while Howie stretched the white box over to the teen, "Here you go," he said.

Nick who seemed to have recovered from being so brutally awaken said a bit suspicious, "Whatīs that?" He sank back to his seat.

"Dinner."

"FOOD..Now eat!" AJ wasnīt as gentle as his older friend.

Nick scrunched his nose. "Not hungry." He looked away quickly, turning his attention out to the window.

"Not hungry?" The word was said loudly and in unison.

"No." Nick shook his head. "I donīt want any."

The comment had both of the men surprised. AJ was the first to comment. "Hell Kaos you eat just about anything? Are you sick or what?" He rose a hand to feel the teens forehead.

"Nooo." The blonde sounded offended, shrugging away from his friends hand. "I Donīt wanna eat anything!

"Nick you donīt feel well?" Now it was Howie's turn to be in a comfort mood.

"I didnīt say that." Nick knew he sounded a bit whiny. "I said I wasnīt hungry. Thereīs a difference."

"Oh yeah?" AJ looked up, chewing on a piece of bread with open mouth.

"God Bone," the blonde scrunched his nose again "Please shut your mouth. You look gross." He pointed at his friend's open mouth.

"Oh really." AJ chewed even bigger, showing the contents in his mouth. "You donīt seem to think that when you do that to us." The young man paused. "After a night out."

"Thatīs different!" Nick defended himself, looking a bit green around his gills.

"Different?"

"Yeah you gotta have something to pay back for not taking me with you." Nick looked dead serious.

AJ stopped chewing for a minute. "Thatīs just because your too young to go into a club."

"Oh yeah!" Nick looked annoyed. "Like youīre so much older than me!"

"Iīm eighteen Nick." The older guy made it sound like there were years of age difference and that the teen beside him was just a small squirt.

"So?"

"Ok stop it!" Howie was getting fed up with the arguments. "Iīm trying to eat here guys so.." he swallowed his bite down, "so chill out."

"Yeah kid chill out." AJ repeated still chewing with his mouth open. This time he was making sure that all of the contents in his mouth could be seen. Totally grossing out both of his friends.

"Ewwww." Nick looked positively disgusted. "Thatīs really gross!"

"Donīt look then." 'Man it was fun to tease the kid,' AJ thought noticing how Nick quickly changed his color from pale to green.

Howie suddenly had enough. "Stop it!" he said firmly. "Now eat up your food." He looked at them. "Both of you." The Latino was doing his best to take charge of the two friends, with various results.

"Ok." AJ sighed. Even if he loved teasing Nick there were limits to that too. Especially when the teen looked like he was going to barf any second. A hint of guilt ran through him. Looking at the teen that intensely stared out of the window he said. "Sorry Kaos."

"Itīs Ok." Nick kept staring out.

Howie looked approvingly to him. If it was something D liked it was when you apologized if youīd acted like an ass.

AJ shrugged. The food was pretty good and he had no idea how Nick could miss out on such a great meal. He most be more exhausted than he let on. When they had eaten in silence for a while, all but Nick who still looked like he was fixating on the window, he asked, "Hey dude if you are not gonna eat you can at least give me your box 'cause this is damned good."

"JAY!" Howie didnīt like when he cussed. Bad publicity.

Nick looked up for the first time since AJ had been grossing out. To his dismay AJ noticed his eyes were a bit watery. "Fuck," he added.

"You can have it," Nick stated, handing him the box like it was poisonous "I donīt want it."

"Ok." AJ didnīt press on. He could see that the teen wasnīt up to par and sometimes it was better to leave things alone. It didnīt get so messy that way.

Once heīd eaten up his two part breakfast, his and Nick's, he looked at the kid again just to noticed that heīd fallen asleep again. With a frown he turned to Howie who was sipping on his coffee. "Man look at him," he gestured with his hand towards the sleeping teen. "Heīs asleep again."

Howie nodded. "Most be really exhausted. Poor fella."

"Yeah maybe it has something to do with him being on a plane you know." AJ did his best to shrug the thought away that there could be something more to his friend. Something that meets the eye.

"Yes." Howie agreed. "Maybe he took a dose of Dramamine and is suffering the side effects. You know Nicky get airsick sometimes."

AJ glared at his buddy. Was he stupid or what? If he knew such a thing? Man he had to throw away a pair of his favorite pants because of the kid's gastronomical display when they were flying in a small plane in Asia.

"Mmmm." He hoped Howie was right. That it wasnīt something more to the situation....