- Text Size +
Behind the Lime Light - Chapter 10

The splitting headache was ready to kill him! It felt like a sledge hammer was placed inside his skull and every time he moved or breathed, it would pound the living shit out of him. It was worse than those migraine attacks heīd suffered from time to time and that would say much. The past hour, when they had to endure a very stupid photo shoot consisting of the guys laying in bed bare breasted with Sonia beside them dressed in something sexy, had finally come to an end. Sonia had asked them to do both this and that and it had felt weird having to lay on a bed next to someone that was old enough to be your mother. As if that wasnīt bad enough the bright lights from the camera hurt his eyes very much and every movement made his head go into a total spin. In the end he had no other choice but to block the light with his hand when they were not taking any pictures. It was making him both sweaty and nauseous. Strangely his neck was pretty sore too and at first he thought it might have something to do with the way heīd been sleeping, resting, on the plane. Whatever it was it felt like an eternity before they could get out of the hotel room and go down to the lobby to get their keys and get checked in.

And here he was, waiting for Brian that was standing by the reception desk, waiting to get their room number. He was going to room in with the Kentuckian tonight which suited him just fine. His friend had a habit of being funny and taking light into situations but also wasnīt afraid to add some seriousness too. At first, when it was clear that Nick wasnīt feeling well, Kevin had been his designated room mate and for a couple of dark minutes it looked like he had to share his room with his bossy brother. Then when Nick was sure that no one came to his rescue and settled in for a couple of lousy nights Brian had told him that he could trade places with Kevin and he as well as Mr. Richardson looked mighty happy at the suggestion. Spending time with Brian it was like being with his best friend. Kevin had once joked in an interview that if Brian was going to jump off a cliff he, Nick, would follow too. At first Nick had laughed it off, but deep inside he knew that he was telling the truth. That was how much Brian meant to him.

"You holding up?"

Brian's soft voice cut through his thoughts and Nick raised his head towards him. Heīd been sitting on the sofa in the lobby, waiting for them to get the keys to their room, and during that time heīd practically dosed off. "Mmmm." There was no strength for more words.

"You sure?" The older boy didnīt look like he believed him.

"Mmm.." Nick did his best not to move his head too much."You got the keys?"

"Yup. Fifteenth floor. Room 1542." Brian waved with his keycard. "Come on lets get going." He gestured towards Nick's backpack. "Donīt forget to bring that one too."

"And my suitcase?"

"No idea." Brian shrugged. "But Johnny said he was taking care of it so Iīm guessing they will bring it up to our room."

"Ok." Nick made a move to stand when a wave of dizziness hit him hard. Holding his head down he tried to clear his head and looking up he noticed Brian looking at him.

"You all right?" There was genuine concern in his friends voice.

"Mmm.. just a bit dizzy, thatīs all." He nodded slightly, "I think I stood up a little too fast."

"Maybe." Brian snickered, not believing him. A frown was etched on his forehead. "Is your headache that bad? You want me to talk to Kev? To Johnny? You want us to call for someone? Like a doctor?"

"NO!" Nick rose his voice a bit too loud and he winced at the impact it did to his sore ears. "No. I donīt need a doctor. Iīm probably just a bit jetlagg ed. Thatīs all."

"Jetlag doesnīt give you a fever." Brian wasnīt about to give up his way in trying to get Nick to seek medical help. "You sure that you donīt want Johnny to call for someone. You know. Just in case?"

"I said no. Iīm better now anyway." He forced a smile that more came out like a grimace. Taking a deep breath he picked up his backpack and then moved towards the elevators. Every step hurt so much that he had to bit back a groan. Brian followed closely behind dragging his bag with him. He wanted so desperately to get to his room and lay down, sleep and maybe, just maybe, this headache would disappear.

The elevator ride was a bad choice. The moment Brian pressed on the buttons and as they started to go up he felt his stomach do a somersault. Every movement today made him feel dizzy and sick and the glass elevator where you could see down to the lobby didnīt help matters much. Closing his eyes he willed his stomach to stay put, but it was a hard task and he had to swallow repeatedly. 'God, why do we have to live on the fifteenth floor?' Nick thought miserably. Brian was eyeing him carefully all the way and when he thought he couldnīt take it anymore and was ready to slid down on the floor he felt Brian's firm grip on his arm.

"Itīs our floor. Letīs go." Not daring to open his eyes he was more or less guided out of the car and it was only when he was on safe ground that he opened his eyes. Brian stood there, looking at him. "Jeeze Frack. How bad are you really? You feel that sick?"

Not answering Nick felt that for the time being it would be wise not to open his mouth and instead he walked slowly down the hall, hoping that Brian would get the picture and then hurry towards their room. Swallowing hard he prayed that the nauseous feeling would go back and he wouldnīt have to redecorate the hallway with a violent gastric display. It would be much too nasty. Brian, being a psychic, must have sensed that his friend was in a bit of a hurry and therefore quickly walked down the corridor, hoping that he would find the room before there was an accident in the hallway. 'Please hurry' Nick thought desperately, tagging along. Biting his lip he made an attempt to diverse the pain to some other area and also taking his mind off his churning stomach. He pressed his hand against his stomach, hoping to calm it down in the process. When he was certain that he couldnīt take it anymore, either by passing out or puking his guts out from the severe pain in his head, Brian announced that the door was open and Nick more or less stumbled into the room.

He hesitated if he would go to the bathroom or if he would lay down on one of the two beds in the room. Swallowing hard he decided the latter, even if he wasnīt sure that he would not have to go the bathroom any time soon. But it wasnīt as bad as it had been minutes ago. He flopped on the bed, face down, the moment his hot skin reached the cool and soft fabric of the bedspread, he closed his eyes. The nausea that had been building up during the afternoon was on the rebound when he was being able to lay down and wasnīt moving around all the time. The headache however was not any better and he desperately wished that he would be able to fall asleep so that he could feel better waking up again.

Brian followed him into the room. "I thought you were gonna barf," he said a bit surprised while flopping down on the other bed across the room.

"Me too." Nick muttered, his mouth against the bedspread.

"Iīm glad you didnīt though." Brian smiled as he kicked off his shoes. "Man this feels good." Wafting on his toes he laid down on the bed. "Iīm sooo beat." He continued to tell Nick about what he thought of the interview and the teen was listening, with half an ear. Not getting any real answers back,mostly groans, Brian asked, "You feel sick again? Is it your stomach too?"

"No, Itīs just a headache. " The sixteen year old croaked out, a bit surprised over how weak he sounded. "A bad one."

"That stinks. Headaches sucks." His friend said as he he added in a jokingly way, "But you gotta admit itīs good that itīs THAT head," he pointed at Nick's skull, "and not your OTHER head." Normally the teen would have laughed at the joke, this time he show no emotion what so ever which had Brian even more concerned. "You want me to get you something? You know something for the pain? A Tylenol? Aspirin?"

Since it was much too strenuous to talk all Nick did was to respond with a groan.

"Does that mean that you want me to get you some? Or not?" Brian was by his side now. Putting a pillow over his head, trying to block away the light in the room, Nick mumbled that he just wanted to die. Either that or it was something in his appearance that caught his friend's attention since he could hear his friend picking up the phone calling to either Howie or Kevin to ask for some help. At first he did his best to try to hear what his friend was talking about but it was getting harder and harder to concentrate and the headache and the fever was starting to take its toll on his body.

He was dosing on and off and when a loud knock caught his attention he had no idea how long heīd been laying like this. Opening his eyes he found that it was dusk in the room and that Brian had pulled the blinds. It was good since every light hurt his head even more as well as made his eyes water. Quickly he closed his eyes again mainly because he didnīt have the strength to stay awake and dozed off all the time. There was a knock at the door. Glancing towards it Nick desperately willed that someone would open it since he was too tired and sick to move. Then there was another knock, this time louder and a male voice called out, "Brian? Nick? You there?"

Grunting Nick wished that whoever had come to visit them would stay the heck out of the room and as the voice repeated itself, "Come on open up," he felt like throwing a pillow against the door. If he only had the strength.

The sound of a toilet being flushed could be heard. "Hold on. Iīm coming." Brian hurried over, opening the door.

"Where were you? What took you so long?" The male voice sounded annoyed.

"Jeeze Kev. I was in the can."

Brian opened the door letting his cousin into the room. They small talked a little and Nick could hear the words, "Nick..doing..sick," being asked. Inwardly he groaned. God couldnīt they be a bit more quiet? Didnīt they know he felt like hell?

"Heīs asleep." Brian explained and then Nick heard his two friends coming his way. "I think heīs running a high fever too. He was also nauseous and I thought he was going to puke but he didnīt."

"Good for you that he didnīt."

"Yeah." Nick knew that Brian didnīt like it when someone was sick in that way around him and he was the most squeamish person in the group. The mere thought about one of the guys in that kind of predicament sent the Kentuckian gagging.

Kevin responded something and then sat down next to the teen, placing his hand on Nick's forehead. "Not good," he snickered. "He sure is hot."

'Well, thank you Kev' the teen thought, his mind all jumbled. 'I never knew you thought that about me.'

"Think itīs bad?" Brian sounded worried.

Nick groaned again, not listening to what Kevin was responding. How did he think he would feel? Of course it was bad. It felt like someone was hammering into his skull and his neck was so stiff that he had a hard time moving. Not that he wanted to move anyway. It would only set out another bout of nausea and puking wasnīt exactly on his list of things to do right now. The mere thought of having to stand with his head upside down had him wincing.

"When was the last time he got some pain pills?" Kevin asked. Brian must have shook his head since there was no comment. Nick felt it was best to tell his friends that all he got was the ones from Howie, after the photo shoot and that they had done nothing to lessen the pain he felt in his head. Rolling to his side he groaned, hoping to get their attention. "Heīs up?" Kevin asked, then he turned to Nick. "Youīre up buddy?" Another moan. It hurt so much to open his eyes now and as to top it all his neck felt strangely stiff too. He squinted at his friend since the fever made his eyes burn. "Hi kiddo." Kevin said softly, his eyes filled with concern. "How are you doing?" He felt his forehead again. "Youīve got yourself quite a fever buddy." There was a weak, but gentle smile on his lips.

Nick felt confused. Wasnīt this the same man that had been mad at him and then spited him in front of the camera? The thoughts were all jumbled and no matter how he tried he couldnīt get them to work properly. He blinked again. His vision was so blurry, no doubt from a fever.

"How are you feeling?" Now Brian was at his side too. His lips were so dry that he had a hard time talking. Licking them he opened his mouth to answer when another stabbing pain shot through his head. Instead he crumpled up, rolling into a ball. This action had his friends concerned. "Whatīs the matter Nick? Is it your stomach? Head?" They asked him all kinds of questions when all he wanted to do was to tell them to shut up. Yet he didnīt have the strength to do so and when the searing pain finally lessened a bit he looked up at them again.

"Do yo..you ha..have any mor..e pil..pills?" He stuttered his words since it hurt too much to talk.

"Yeah sure." Kevin patted at his pocket. Turning to Brian he ordered," B go and get me a glass of water to take with these." He rattled a bottle of Tylenol.

Soon Nick heard the sound of water running and before he knew it his friend was back with a glass of cold and fresh water. "Here you go." Brian handed it to him. Sitting up slowly in bed he did his best to grab it but his hands were shaking so much that he couldnīt hold it still. Instead he spilled on his t-shirt. Brian didnīt waste any time and instead he helped him to drink. Nick felt embarrassed. God, he was such a baby. But Brian didnīt care. "Thatīs it" he urged his friend as Nick drank a large gulp of water. It felt so good as the cold liquid ran down his throat. He wanted to devour the whole glass when Kevin stopped him. "No. Thatīs enough. You gotta take it easy on your stomach or you will get sick."

'I canīt be something I already am' Nick thought quietly but he could do nothing but accept.

Kevin shook out two white pills that he placed in the teen's palm. The water glass was back again and as he swallowed the pills he felt his strength faltering again. It was so cold in the room and suddenly he desperately wished that he was under the covers instead of laying here in just his tee. Helplessly he lied down again, shivering. "Itīs cold here." he mumbled with clattering teeth.

"Youīre freezing" It was more of a statement. Another nod, this time almost invisible since it hurt too much to move his head. "Itīs his fever." Kevin explained like Brian had never been with a sick person before. Turning to the teen he asked, "You want us to help you get under the covers?"

Blushing a bit Nick mumbled. "Ye..yes please." He was very softspoken."

"You think you can stand up? Or do you need help?"

"Iīll try." He tried to sit up in the bed when the world went a bit blurry around his edges. God his head was fixing to explode now.

Brian was at his side again. "Can you take off your pants by yourself?"

Nick blushed. What did B'rok think of him? "YES!"

"Good," Brian grinned. "Cause I rather not undress you completly..at least not the boxers." He lauged.

Nick managed a weak smile. When he was done, only clad in boxers and a teen Kevin was going to help him to sit back again when suddenly everything started to sway, like he was on board a boat or a plane and his stomach was starting to do flip flops. The room was going into a serious spin and as everything, including himself, tilted dangerously he could feel the bile rise quickly in his throat. Moaning, he fumbled like a blind man, getting a hold on Kevin's shirt.

"Take it easy Nick. Iīve got you." Kevin whispered as Nick felt like he would topple over any second. Suddenly he felt his stomach start to heave and as the gagging started he could hear Kevin shouting in the background, "Go get a trashcan. Heīs gonna blow!" Tears welled up in his eyes and as he desperately waited for a signal for his body to give in he held his mouth, doing his best to stall the upcoming event as long as possible. "Hold on kiddo." Kevin encouraged him while Brian rushed into the bathroom. It felt like an eternity, but it was probably not more than a few seconds, and he did his best to concentrate on something else but the sickness that was ready to swallow him. He knew he couldnīt hold it for much longer and Kevin's words, "You can let go now," felt like music to his ears. And that he did. Leaning over he made good use of the trashcan.

"Ewww." Brian was clearly disgusted over the offending sound. He cranked up the volume on the TV trying to block the unwanted noise.

"Turn that down," Kevin ordered while he was doing his best holding the teen up. "And donīt look if it bothers you."

With a face Brian turned off the TV, looking like he was about to toss his cookies himself.

"Brian if you think itīs so disgusting maybe you should leave the room" Kevin advised while rubbing Nick's back in smooth long circles. The teen was spewing loudly and it sounded like he was hacking up everything he had since he was a baby. Breastmilk included.

"No I can handle it" Brian mumbled with a strained voice.

"Ok, but donīt say that I didnīt warn you." Kevin snickered. Nick whimpered. It hurt so much when his stomach once again turned itself inside and out. This time more violent then the last.

Suddenly Brian felt like he couldnīt take it any longer. Standing up he shouted, "OH God it smells!" Gagging he rushed towards the window, cracking one of them open. "Thatīs better" he breathed through his nose as he sat down on the bed of the opposite side of the room. Brian Littrell didnīt do sick very well.

"Yes what did you think it would do?" Kevin chuckled from the other side of the room. "It doesnīt exactly smell like roses you know." Brian made a face back, but stayed in the room, even if it was taking him every ounce of mental strength to do so.

Nick wanted to cry. There couldnīt be anything worse than something like this. Every heave made his head go into total and unbearable pain and he didnīt know what to do anymore. Tears rolled down his face. Once he was done he was so exhausted that all he could do was shake and moan. Tears had filled his eyes, both from the tax but also from being miserable. He leaned against his older brother, too weak to do anything but sob. Kevin said nothing, just stroke his tousled hair. Brian was nowhere in sight.

"You better now?" the older man asked once Nick had stopped heaving. A short nod was returned as an answer. "Good." Talking to Brian he said, "Hand me that glass will ya." Nick could feel the glass being placed against his mouth and an encouraging, "Take a mouthful but donīt swallow," could be heard. "Just swish it around..thatīs it." When he was finally being done he could feel Kevin help him to lay down again. This time under the covers. "Now try and get some rest and hopefully you feel better when you wake up," Kevin said, stroking his warm cheek with his hand.

Nick nodded. The headache was a bit better now when his stomach didnīt feel like it was doing hip hop any longer. Closing his eyes he felt like he could finally sleep and it felt actually pretty good now. In the background he could hear the two of them talking even if it was mostly a blurr.

"You gonna be all right with Nicky?" Kevin asked Brian while he put back the rinsed out trashcan by the bed.

"Yes." His answer was a bit hesitatent.

"You sure? Cause if you want I can trade rooms with you. Like we originally planned to do."

"No" Brian shook his head as he followed his cousin to the door. "Weīll be just fine."

"You know he can puke again.." A evil smile toyed at the older man's lips.

"Eww donīt remind me." Brian looked clearly disgusted. Then he added, "I said Iīll be fine. Donīt worry so much."

"Ok. If you say so..." His cousin sounded everything but relieved, " You know if there is something, if Nick is getting sick again." He looked sternly at Brian who winced at the thought, "just give me a call. Ok?"

"Iīll do that. Bye Kevin" Brian opened the door and just when he was about to close it, his cousin stuck his head in again "Oh I almost forgot. We have a promotion dinner tonight. Be down in the lobby seven sharp." Brian winced. This he had completely forgotten all about, especially with Nick being this sick.

Nick felt like crying. The dinner. It had really slipped his mind and the way he was feeling right now there was not a chance he would be able to attend one, and certainly not eat something. His stomach clenched, making sure that he knew that it was still very much alive.

"Oh shit! I forgot about that," Brian said tiredly. "What are we gonna do with Nick then? Heīs too sick to go."

"I know."

"I can stay home with him." The younger man volunteered quickly.

'No' Nick thought desperately. He didn't want any of his friends having to sacrifice anything for him. To do charity.

Kevin sighed. "You could..I could.. but I donīt think that Johnny would agree to that."

"Well, screw him!" It was rare to hear the Kentuckian take those heated words into his mouth."Weīve gotta think something out. Iīll talk to Johnny and see what I can do. Ok?"

"'K. see ya." Brian closed the door with a deep sigh. Walking into the room he sat down on his bed and then turned on the TV with a low volume.

"B?"

"Nick youīre still awake? I thought you were asleep." Brian said a bit startled. "Is it the TV? The volume? Itīs too loud? You want me to turn it down?" He fumbled with the remote controller. "You want another pill?"

"No."The teen mumbled. "I donīt think I can handle that right now." He rubbed his stomach.

"Yeah youīre probably right." The older boy made a face, suddenly getting reminded of the recent incident.

"I only wanted to let you know that Iīll be just fine."

Brian nodded, "Yeah, Iīm sure itīs just a flu bug of some sort."

"Mmmm..probably but thatīs not what I meant." Nick felt he had to tell his friends that they didnīt have to worry. He was a big boy and he could take care of himself, even if this last event had proved something else.

"Then what?"

"The dinner..I think you should go."

"No," Brian shook his head.

"Youīre sick and Iīll stay with you." Nick smiled. "No offense B but you donīt do sick that well."

A chuckle. "I donīt?"

"No besides ..you know if I..you know I canīt promise that I wonīt..." Nick sounded a bit embarressed.

"Wonīt what?"

"Throw up."

"Oh." Brian let out a sound of disgust, "Urghh..Yuck." He scrunched up his nose.

"See. I knew it. You wouldnīt cope." Brian's bedside manner had to be worked upon.

There was a sigh. "If that happens then I will have to deal with it. Not you. Thatīs my problem. Anyway "He looked at Nick who was staring at him under his covers. "Donīt worry..I..you ..will be just fine and no matter what you are gonna say, Iīm staying with you. Period." His voice firm. "Now try and get some sleep."

From past experience Nick knew that there was no use in arguing with his friend when he was in this kind of mood. Instead he pulled his blanket further up his chin and then mumbled a silent, "Thanks."

"Huh?..For what?" Brian sounded confused.

"For being there with me when..you know." Nick blushed. If it was from the fever or being embarrassed he had no idea, still a red tint rose on his cheeks.

"Oh that," Brian said casually. "That was Kev's doing." He chuckled lightly, "And Nick youīre right I donīt do sick that well." He paused. "But that doesnīt matter, youīre my bro and Iīm taking care of you. No matter what..." He paused with a grin, " But I think Iīll leave the gory stuff to Kev."

Nick smiled. It felt so good that his brothers were there for him and he loved them for it.