- Text Size +
Behind the Lime Light - Chapter 11

Kevin hesitated a second before knocking on his manager's door. Johnny Wright was a great guy still he never knew where he had him or what the result would be out of their conversation. There had been so many times in the past where Mr. Wright had told them one thing just to in reality prove to be something different, or changing his decision in the last minute. He also had a habit of making promises that were hard to keep since his head manager Mr. Lou Pearlman had the last word in everything. This time however Kevin hoped that Johnny was smart enough to make the right call. As he could hear the sounds of the manager walking towards the door he was gathering more and more strength. He was going to ask Johnny to let Nick off this dinner event and also that one of the guys would be able to stay with him. As things had been going with the teen there was no way that Kevin thought he could be left alone in the hotel room. Usually while touring Nick had a guardian with him, his mom, dad or uncle but this time he was left all alone. Mainly because this tour had happened rather fast and there was no one that could take the time to be with him.

It didnīt take long before the manager opened the door, holding a drink in his hand. "Kevin!" he uttered in surprise.

"Yeah..sorry to bother you but I need to talk to you about something" The tall man licked his lips nervously.

"Oh..Ok..come in." Johnny opened his door wide enough for the young man to pass through. Then he walked over to the TV and lowered the volume. "What was it you wanted to talk to me about?" Johnny sat down on the plush sofa and then gestured with his hand for his guest to sit down. Kevin did as he said and sat down on a chair, feeling like a fifth grader going to see the principal. Johnny must have sensed this as he offered, "You want something to drink? Scotch? Gin and tonic?"

"No thank you." Kevin shook his head.

"So what was it you wanted to talk to me about?" He stopped Kevin from saying anything by holding up a hand, "No let me guess..a certain blonde...sixteen old? Am I right?"

"Yes."

There was a deep sigh. "Allrigh. What did he do this time?" Johnny sipped on his drink while waiting for an answer.

"Heīs not doing so good."

"Yeah I noticed that," the manager muttered. Looking at Kevin he offered once again, "You sure that I canīt tempt you with a drink?"

"Yes." Kevin felt a bit annoyed. The manager was constantly changing the subject. In an attempt to push the issue back to where it belonged he said, "Nick is running a really high fever. He is complaining over a terrible headache and heīs been throwing up." Drawing back his breath he continued. "I really donīt think he is fit to go anywhere tonight."

"Neither do I."

The words startled Kevin. This was NOT something he expected from the manager.

Johnny laughed, "Donīt look so shocked Richardson. Iīm not an animal you know." Then he added, "As a matter of fact Iīve noticed too how bad the kid looked today and Iīm not surprised that heīs caught the flu since I know its been going hard around the Tampa area." He paused, "And since there are many kids in the Carter family they are prone to pass it on to each other and apparently this time it was Nick's turn." Another deep sigh.

Kevin sat in silence. "I guess youīre right."

Ignoring this comment Johnny continued, "What I donīt like is that weīre in the beginning of a tour..hell we havenīt even started yet and already one of you boys are sick." He shook his head. "I really hope that none of you catch this little bug since it seem to be a real sucker."

Kevin nodded as his manager went on, "Weīre running on a tight schedule and you guys have lots of shows to do in a short period of time," he ran a hand over his face, tiredly, "The concert tomorrow is fully booked and I canīt afford to let any of you guys off. Therefore Iīm planning on letting the kid out of this dinner."

"You are?" Kevin was very much surprised over the direction this conversation was taking.

"Yes," Johnny chuckled slightly, "I really donīt think he would be much good dinner company anyway."

"No probably not." Kevin agreed with a nod. His manager really seemed to surprise him from time to time. And today was such an occassion. Letting out a sigh of relief he asked, "So then I can tell Nicky that he can stay at home?"

"Yes." Johnny took a large gulp of his drink, grimacing as the scotch burned his throat.

"Ok..but who is going to stay with him then?" The question came a bit unexpectedly.

"What do you mean?" Johnny frowned. "Weīre talking about an sixteen year old you know. Heīs not a child."

"Maybe not but he is much too sick to be on his own tonight."

The manager must have thought for a moment cause he scratched his head in that motion like he always did when he was deep in thoughts. He cocked his head. "So what youīre saying Richardson is that the kid needs a baby-sitter?"

Ļ "In a way..yes...pretty much so" Kevin looked serious. "When I left him he had a very high fever and was throwing up so no I donīt think he is well enough to be on his own." This was a bit of an exaggeration.

"You sure?"

"Mmm." Kevin took the courage to say what was on his mind. "My suggestion is that one of us, me or one of the other guys stay back at the hotel while the rest are going to the dinner. That way we can be there if he needs us."

"Hmmm" The manager was in deep thoughts, rubbing his chin with his hand. "IF I would decide on such a thing which one of you guys is prepared to stay?"

"I can or Brian or.. it really doesnīt matter." Kevin shrugged, "I guess it can be any one of us."

Johnny nodded. "Well Iīll see what I can do about it." He stood up, walking towards the door. The signal for Kevin that the meeting time was up and that he had other things to do. "Meanwhile you go and get ready for that dinner party."

Not satisfied with the sudden change in attitude the younger man pressed on, "When will you have made your decision? I mean about which of us that can stay at the hotel?"

"I donīt know." Johnny sounded at once annoyed. "First I have to call Lou and then.."

Kevin's heart sank as he heard the manager tell him what had to be cleared off first. Knowing Lou he knew that there was no way in hell that the manager would let something like that happen. He would probably press on for Nick to go onstage too. That was the kind of bastard he was and if Kevin had the chance he would get out of that manager as soon as he could but they were all stuck with a contract. A slave contract for at least two more years. "Lou you say?" Kevin mumbled as he made his way towards the door."

"Yes." Johnny frowned at the man's expression. "Donīt you worry Iīm sure that Lou will not give me any other directions." He patted the tall man on his shoulder in a comforting way.

'Yeah sure,' Kevin thought darkly, 'Pigs would get wings sooner than that.'

"Oh and Richardson I nearly forgot. Sonia Benzaara or whatever her name is, has been looking for you all evening."

"She has?" The words came like an surprise. "Why?"

"She wants to know when you can do that One to One interview that has been scheduled for tonight."

Kevin sighed. What was this woman? Some kind of energizer bunny? "Well she will have to wait. First I have to make sure that Nick is doing allright."

That was an answer that the dark man didnīt like. "No Kevin you have obligations to do no matter what and I donīt care that Nicky is sick as a dog. You still have to do your part." His tone was firm.

"I know..I know." Kevin hissed. "Just you concentrate on getting a clearance for Nicky and one of us and Iīll take care of my part." With that he closed the door firmly behind him, setting his steps towards Howie and AJīs room.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************** ******

"What a load of crap." AJ hissed, tossing the remote control on the bed. Yawning he sat up in bed, running his hand through his short and chopped hair. Jetlag was starting to set in and it didnīt help that heīd been up since four this morning. Stretching his limbs he noticed that every bone in his skinny body ached and he silently hoped that he hadnīt caught whatever shit his little bro was suffering from. Flu had a nasty habit of traveling fast in the Backstreet Camp. Especially the bugs the teen seemed to catch. He had to get going since they had to be down in the lobby within an hour, getting ready to go the dinner party. Not that he felt like going anyway, but since it was considered work there was nothing he could do but obey, besides his stomach was growling with hunger and even if those events were pretty boring he could at least look forward to a delicious meal. Now he could only hope that there wouldnīt be any boring talk and that the people he was eating together with would realize that they were pretty beat and they would get to go home early.

Fat chance.

The luck that they were having right now, with Nick being sick and all in the beginning of a tour, he would probably end up with some fat lady that kept jabbering about this and that, boring himself to death in the process. Deciding that a shower was needed he walked stiffly into the bathroom, shred his clothes to his birthsuit and then stepped into the shower. Turning up the heat until it nearly burned his skin he savored the nice, relaxing feeling of the water running down his body. Closing his eyes he just stood there, letting the water rinse away all of his troubles. He had no idea how long heīd stood there when the door suddenly burst open and the face of his room mate appeared in the doorway.

"OOps!"

Annoyed over being disturbed in such a relaxing moment AJ spat back, "Fuck D. Didnīt your mom ever teach you to knock?"

"Sorry man," the older boy apologized quickly, before closing the door behind him. "I had no idea that you were in here."

"Well I am, besides where the hell would I be anyway?" AJ asked sounding a bit more annoyed than he in reality was. "Itīs not like I can go running around the city you know." He let out his breath. "D! Next time make sure that someone is in the room before you barge in like that, or Iīm going to think that youīre gay and just looking for an excuse to see my well fit body."

A laugh could be heard from the other side of the room. "Just let me know when youīre done. All right?" And donīt use up all the hot water, I need to take a shower too."

'That you should have thought of before you barged in like that,' AJ smiled smugly turning up the heat a notch. Heck it was cold in here, the water system took a long time to warm up and he was starting to get the chills. It was more and more reminding him of those finnish winerbaths heīd tried once in Scandinavia. It had been so cold, jumping into that icy pool that AJ was sure that his dick would turn blue and then fall off. Luckily nothing like that had happened and all they got was a nasty cold. Damn weather. Ten minutes later and not a drop of hot water left, AJ turned off the tap and then stepped out, wrapping a white towel around his waist. Heīd been turning on such a blast that the room was all steamed up from the heat. Wiping a hole in the mirror with his hand a red face stared back at him. A red face with blue bags under his eyes. Heck he was starting to look like the fucking rainbow. There was a sound of someone else in the room since if it wasnīt the odds wouldnīt be too good on the Latinos mental health, especially if he was talking to himself.

Opening the door he found Kevin sitting on his bed. "Hi Kev." AJ walked inside the room, pulling the suitcase out from underneath his bed.

"Hi." His brother looked tired. Beat.

"What youīre doing here? Youīre not ready?"

"No." Kevins answer was short.

"Why not?" AJ pulled out a couple of clean boxers, shred the towel and then put them on. The movement got some heated response.

"Jay what the heck! Canīt you do that somewhere else?" Howie yelped, looking away. "Man youīre prude." AJ filled in with a grin, "D itīs just me. The guy youīve spent the most time with. Your best friend. Why are you all of a sudden so tight up over me standing here in the nude and all?"

"Oh AJ grow up" Kevin said tiredly, "Not everyone wants to see your naked ass!"

"Maybe not you, but Iīm sure the girls will." He took a glance outside, " I should show them my glory and I bet that they wouldnīt be this prude." Grinning he moved towards the balcony.

"Donīt," Kevin mumbled, rubbing a hand over his face in a tired gesture.

Noticing that none of the guys were really in a mood for a joke the rebel changed his approach. "Chill man," he said. "Whatīs the matter? Something happen?"

"I guess you can say that," Howie sighed. "Kevin just told me that weīre all expected to attend this dinner party. Nicky included."

"What?" AJ didnīt believe his ears. "What the fuck are you saying? That Kaos has to come along too?" Turning to Kevin he rose his voice, "I thought you said that you were gonna talk to Johnny about all this. Getting him a red card?"

"I was and he did."

"Then what the fuck is D jabbering about?" Howie shot his friend a look but said nothing more.

"It just didnīt work out as planned." Kevin looked sad. "He just called me to inform us that heīd spoken to Lou and that he said that weīre ALL suppose to attend this dinner party. Itīs filled with important business people and he wants us all there no matter what condition we're in. His words according to Johnny was quote: "I donīt care if they are dying. Get them there. All five of them, including the Noick!"

"Youīre fucking not serious? Have you seen the kid?" AJ felt anger rise up inside of him. "He wants us to drag Nicky who is so sick that he is puking his guts up to a dinner party?" The rebel shook his head, "Heīs freaking crazy!"

"Thatīs what he said. Yes."Kevin sighed heavily. There was silence in the room as the men were all taking in what had been told.

AJ was the first to break the silence. "So what are we gonna do about it then? I mean we can't drag a sick teen that is running a high fever to a dinnerparty, can we?"

"No we canīt." Howie responded. Turning to the younger man he asked, "Didnīt you say that your mom was gonna come here soon? When was that?"

"My mom?" he looked confused. What did Denise have to do with anything? "Uh yeah?"

"When was that?" Kevin pressed on.

"She said that she would come here tomorrow. If the plans havenīt changed." AJ frowned. "Why?"

"Maybe she can talk to Lou you know. Make him to change his mind."

AJ smiled palely, "D Iīm happy you think that about my mom but let me tell you that she doesnīt have that power. You know as well as me that when Lou has his mind set on something he goes through with it."

Howie nodded. "It was just a thought."

"Yeah but not a very good one."

The Latino stared sourly back at his room mate, "Then YOU come up with something better."

"I will and.."

The rebel started to mouth back when Kevin rose his hand, "Stop it! Youīre not making the situation any better by fighting with each other. Weīve gotta find a solution but not this way." The oldest had spoke again.

"Maybe we should call his parents?"

'God what was it with Howie and family' AJ thought irritated. "And do what? What can they do that we canīt?" Shaking his head he continued, "D youīre honestly that stupid that you think that they are gonna come on a plane just because their kid has the flu?"

"My mom would," Howie defended a bit hurt over how AJ made his suggestion sound stupid.

"Yeah maybe yours but not Nicks. Definatly not Nicks. Trust me on that one."

Howie glared back but said nothing more.

Ļ Kevin rose from the bed.

"Where youīre going?"

"To talk to Brian and see how Nick is doing. If he is still feeling like crap, which I think he is, then Iīm making the call." He looked at his two friends, "He wonīt have to go and Iīm staying with him. Period."

"Youīll get shit out of this Kev." AJ shook his head.

"Doesnīt matter. I know what I gotta do and that is what Iīm doing." With that he opened the door. "Iīll let you guys know what happens. All right?"

"'K." None of them had anything to add. As soon as their big brother had left the room AJ turned to Howie, "You think heīll do something stupid?"

"Like what?" Howie had grabbed the towel, getting ready to take a shower.

"You know disobeying Lou's order and all."

"Well, if he does itīs his choice not yours or ours." Howie said wisely before walking into the bathroom. Turning on the light he shouted, "Heck Jay itīs like a sauna in here." Looking at the younger man's innocent face he continued, "I hope you didnīt use up all of the hot water."

The eighteen year old said nothing, even if he inside couldnīt help but smiling even if the situation was pretty bad. Howie would find the answer to that question soon enough. It didnīt take long before a loud yell could be heard in the hotel room; "Shiiiiiiitttt Ajeeeeeee. Itīs freaaakiiiinggggg coooooooooooooold!!"