- Text Size +
Behind the Lime Light - Chapter 14

"What the hell are you saying McLean? Is Richardson drunk? "Johnny Wright fumed as he was being told about the new situation that had come up so suddenly." Is this some kind of joke Dorough?" Turning to the older member he hoped that he would say that it was just another of those jokes that AJ and Nick could pull on him but seeing the sad look on the Latino's face made him think that it was the truth.

"No," Howie shook his head. "Me and Bone went over to his room and he was drinking and.."

"And then he passed out." AJ chipped in while he was taking in the dark haired reception clerk, flashing her a big smile. She seemed very pleased as she smiled back at him.

The manager didnīt spare his words... When he was done cussing out the older member, as well as the youngest who always got a shovel of reprimands even if he hadnīt done nothing, like this time, Howie was the first to pipe up.

"Donīt go too hard on him Johnny. Kevinīs been having a really tough time lately."

"Oh yeah? And tougher it will get if he continues acting like this." The manager showed no understanding. Glaring at them he muttered, "Right now I donīt care whatever his reasons may be since this is damned irresponsible for him to act this way. Especially when I told him specificly that Lou wanted all of you for this job. In person!"

Sadly the others could do nothing but agree. Johnny was right. This whole scene was so out of character for Kevin but there was not much that they could do about it now. Just wait for him to wake up from his drunkenness and then be responsible for his actions.

Adding more fuel to the already tensed situation AJ dropped the next brick. "B called. Nick is still feeling like hell and there is no way heīll be fit to come to this meeting." Bad news often came in clusters.

Johnny frowned, "Donīt come and say that the blonde is ignoring orders too!" His tone sounded anything but happy. "No heīs not. I told you he was sick didnīt I?" AJ snarled.

Johnny glared back at him.

Finding it was best to clear up the situation Howie explained, "Brian told me that Nick is complaining of a very bad headache, so severe that he is throwing up and he also has a rather high temperature." Looking at his manager darting his eyes back and forth nervously he added, "Since he keeps getting worse instead of any better I think that it would be best if you sent a doctor to take a look at him."

"Oh really? You do, do you Dorough?" Johnny had a habit of naming them all by last name to prove his point of being the management of the group. "Well, then I have news for you. There is no way Iīm calling a doctor to come and take a look at Carter just to hear that he has caught another of those flu bugs that he is so prone to anyway." Mumbling he added, "Hell, sometimes I wonder if the boy is a living blotting paper since every single germ seems to attach to him."

Frowning Howie looked displeased. "But Nick needs a doctor that could..."

He was cut off by his manager. "Dorough I donīt care what you think but one thing is for sure and that is if we were supposed to call for a doctor every time the kid had some kind of ailment or feeling under the weather ALL of our salaries would go to pay hideous amounts of doctors bills!" He shook his head. "So for now that is out of the question. Understood?"

Howie dropped the subject knowing when he had stretched the subject as far as he could and had reached the limit. There was a moment of silence as the manager took in what this kind of news meant for tonight's upcoming event. As it looked by now only three out of five Backstreet Boys were to show up even if Lou had been firm that they would come as a whole team.

Jonny was the one that was going to make sure that Mr. Pearlman's ideas went to action and if he fucked up, his own ass would be toast. "This is fucking unbelievable," he growled, twisting his hands in anger. "So this means that now both Richardson as well as Carter is down for the count. Lou will be really pleased."

Thatīs the situation yes."

When Johnny had finally come down from his anger trip he muttered in frustration, "If Littrell is dropping out too Iīm kicking his ass!"

No one said anything as they were all waiting for Brian to come down to the lobby, and when he hadnīt showed up in the length of time as was common for him the manager barked to the two young men. "Ok and where the hell is Littrell then? Donīt say that he is skipping work too? "

No..No" Howie was the one to answer as AJ was being way too busy indulging in a brief conversation with the receptionist whose name was Shauna. "Heīs not dropping out as a matter of fact he said that he would come right down when I called and told him that we had to leave and that he was expected at the dinner too."

"Good. " The reply was short. Looking at his watch the manager mumbled to himself, "Where the hell is he then?" That very same moment the young Kentuckian appeared around the corner which had everyone in the band breathing a sigh of relief. There hadnīt been much to show up if only two out of five members had showed up at the dinner and the executives in the entertainment industry in Canada expected more out of them. This was something Johnny was well aware of and it was also the reason why he had pressed the boys to come to the dinner even if he knew that there were reasons for them to be let off today. But Lou had been really specific that all five of them were to show up or he would get on Johnny's ass for that.

"Littrell I thought I told you to be down at the lobby at 7 pm sharp. Not 7.15! Whatīs your excuse for being late?"

Brian didnīt answer immediately and instead glared back at the manager, giving him a dark eye. Howie, the ever ending peace maker in the band was the one to walk up to his friend... "Thank God you came!" He smiled at him with relief.

But no smiles got returned.

"Why wouldnīt I?" He sneered. "I was told to do so, wasnīt I?"

"Yes Littrell that is called following orders!" The manger growled which had the young man opening his mouth to defend himself only to be cut off by AJ.

"What happened? Why are you late?" Shauna had to leave due to a phone call and now he was doing his best to change the conversation since his gut told him that if they didnīt stop this bickering they would be even more late to the dinner and that was something they couldnīt afford right now.

"Nick puked." Brian sounded at once very tired.

"Again?" AJ shook his head with disgust. This was getting worse and worse by the minute and they had no business leaving the kid alone in the hotel room. Kevin had been right Nick needed someone by his side.

Brian nodded."Yup."

"You gave him any more meds?" Howie asked.

"I tried." The young man ran a hand across his face in a tired gesture, "but itīs worthless. He can't seem to be able to hold anything down right now. Not even water and his headache keeps getting worse and worse."

"Oh!" The managers guard went down instantly, joined by the others worried glance. "Is he doing ok?"

Looking at the tall man Brian said slowly while doing his best to control his rising temper, "What do you expect Johnny? Heīs been puking ever since we came to the hotel and now he is running a really high temperature. Heīs also complaining of a headache all the time. So no the answer to your question is NO. Heīs not doing alright. At all!" The tone rose in the end. "And he needs someone to look after him. A doctor!"

"Take it easy Bri," Howie said planting a comforting hand on his friends arm only to notice how his body was shaking with anger. "It wonīt do you any good being this worked up, besides Johnny was just asking you a simple question. There is no need to get upset about that."

" Brian glared back but made no comment.

The manager sighed. "Brian I know that you donīt think that I care that Nick is sick but believe me I do." Even though the blonde replied with a snort he went on, "D is right. Getting us all fired up won't do anything for the kid's health. This is a stressful situation for all of us but we have to deal with it the best we can since both Richardson and now Carter are down for the count and.."

Brian stiffened. "What did you say?"

"I said that we have to deal with the situation the best way we can," Johnny repeated annoyed before continuing with his speech again.

"No..No.." Brian shook his head. "That other part about Carter and Richardson being down for the count..." His tone went shrill. "Whatīs wrong? Something happened to Kevin?" He was talking fast. "Donīt come and say that he got what Nick has now too."

"No."

Johnny frowned and AJ and Howie looked very uncomfortable. Howie tightened his grip on his friends arm like he was expecting him to blow up in anger. This only left Brian even more irritated and he shrugged away.

"No? You didnīt tell him?" The manager asked the two boys. AJ shook his head.

"Tell me what?" Brian wanted to know. "What havenīt you told me? Whatīs up with him? Why isnīt he down here?" Howie who did another attempt to cool him down by gripping his arm again but this time it was useless instead he decided to tell the truth.

"Kevin is in his hotel room. Drunk!"

"What??" Brian didnīt believe his ears. "What are you saying? Kevin is drunk?" Shaking his head he continued," I donīt believe you. Thatīs not something my cousin would do!" Brian often used the word cousin when he wanted to state that Kevin was close family to him and someone that he cared about very much.

"Believe what you want, but D is right." AJ said. "Your cousin is in his hotel room right now, drunk out of his witts. Trashed and passed out."

Brian was in no mood for such an answer. "Youīre crazy," he yelled directing his statement towards AJ who was starting to look more and more pissed over not being believed. Eyeing him suspiciously he continued, "Youīre on something or what? The last thing we need right now is you being on drugs."

It was clear that Brian wanted to remain in denial.

"Why the fuck are you accusing me of doing drugs when Iīm the one sober and your cousin is in his hotel room getting drunk off his ass?" AJīs tone was heated. His eyes suddenly dark from anger. "Youīre the one thatīs too afraid to cope with the truth!"

Johnny watched the scene unfold in silence as Howie was doing his best to act like the leader in the group. "There is no need for you to yell at each other and those words about drugs were totally uncalled for especially since we arenīt all alone here in if you havenīt noticed." Looking Brian in his eyes he said with a frown. "Yes, unfortunately Bone is telling the truth. I went up to his room and there he was, drinking, and I tried to talk him out of it but he was so drunk that he passed out." The young man draw back his breath. "That is why he isnīt here right now.2

"Oh." The comment was short like all the air had popped out of Brian like a balloon.

At that very moment Johnny decided to cut in."Ok ladies" he said "I donīt wanna disturb this fun situation but.." Sarcasm could be noted. "Weīve have to get going or the high up executives will be seriously upset if we donīt show up in time. And right now showing up three is a lot better than not showing up at all!" Brian wasnīt in the mood in getting interrupted. Turning to Howie he said slowly, "Suppose that Kevin is getting as drunk as you all say what do you think has happened that made him this upset." His tone was sad, questioning.

"No idea," AJ mumbled. "Probably girl trouble." He shrugged his shoulders, "Who knows? It could be just about everything."

Giving the rebel a dark eye he told him to shut up. "I really donÂīt know." But Howie knew. Still there was no way he would tell anyone since heīd promised Kevin and the Latino was someone who could be trusted and kept his mouth shut most of the time. It wasnÂīt for nothing he was ruled out to be the bands counselor. Nick had joked that if D ever got unemployed he could always be a social worker. To this Howie had smiled cause deep inside he wouldnīt have that much against it, but that was something he kept private.

"Why didnīt you do anything to stop him?" This time the tone was accusingly.

The Latino opened his mouth to answer, his eyes filled with sadness, when AJ came to his rescue, "Knock it off Brian, Itīs not like the world is ending. Kevin is just drunk and itīs not like it hasnīt happened before anyway and you know it."

"It never happened when he was supposed to work." Brian cut in.

"Listen bro, I know that youīre pissed but it wonīt do you any good in blowing up at D. He did all he could do and the one you should be yelling to his face is Kev and right now he isnīt in any shape to deal with getting scowled at. So therefore I suggest that you cool it down and swallow your anger. There is not much you can do about it right now anyways." AJ reasoned.

Brian glared at his younger brother with dismay. If there was one thing he disliked it was when someone told him what to do and how to act. This time it was AJ that was stepping his foot in the wrong pot. Feeling like this was a bit too much Brian lashed out with rude comments only to notice that it didnīt effect his friend.

"Chill out buddy. There is nothing you can do but relax and take it easy." For a short moment AJ laid a comforting arm around his shoulder, feeling his older bro sagging with defeat.

Johnny nodded. "Bone is right. We have to get going now or we will seriously be late." He started to walk out of the room when Brian stopped him.

"No wait!" Brian held up his hand as a sign.

"What?"

"Thereīs gotta be something we can do." Brian questioned. "I mean we canīt leave them all alone here. Someones gotta stay."

Johnny sighed heavily. "And who would that be? Kevin is a mature man, or at least as mature you can be for someone that is getting drunk when they have obligations to do." More sarcasm. "and what Carter is about well..it seems like the kid has caught another of his famous flu bugs and Iīm sure he can manage too on his own and doesnīt have to be baby-sat all the time."

And what do you think Nick's parents would say about all of this?" Brian spat.

The other two men looked at him since bringing up such a topic was like walking on thin ice. Howie shook his head, trying to stop the 22 year old who was really upset now. He had to give Brian credit for bringing up Nick's parents but deep inside he didnīt think it would matter anyway. It wasnīt exactly like they would jump on a plane and go to see their sick son for something as common as a flu bug. Since Nick was the oldest of all of the siblings they also thought he was old enough to take care of himself which left him often without any guardians on tour. To the media it was another story, there they told them that he had always a chaperone when the truth was something else. Howie didnīt question that they didnīt love their son, no it was more that they were too involved in Nick's other siblings and were hoping that they would make it in the music industry too. He was jerked out of his thoughts when the managers loud voice boomed in the lobby, not caring if anyone heard how upset he was. That was Johnny's way of showing who was in charge and that no one was entitled to question his actions.

"You leave Nick's parents out of this!" the manager fumed. "Now get your ass going or weīre gonna be late and then you will REALLY have something to worry about! And that is called unemployment!"

Brian was being bold. "Youīre threatening us? Maybe we should stay at home like the others. Then what would you do?"

"Call it what you like Litrrell and yes I am threatening you. As a matter of fact if you three donīt go to the dinner tonight you can all kiss your asses good-bye to make it on the Canadian market." The managers words were harsh.

Brian opened his mouth to interject since for some peculiar reason he always had a habit of mouthing off to the management. It was like he had this thing for authority. This time however AJ stopped him before a war broke out. "It wonīt do you any good B. Come on letīs go." He whispered, Weīll deal with Johnny later.

The blonde gave him a dark eye, but for once AJ was right. There was no use in getting all worked up over the situation, finding faults and mistakes all over again even if heīd always thought that his friend was a tad too management friendly and that he suspected that Johnny taking a liking to him was because Bone was dating his daughter and that the black manager wanted him for a son in law.

Biting back a comment he shrugged and then went along with his two friends. The situation was anything but good there was not much he could do about it and all he could do was hope that both Nick and Kevin would be fine and that things would look differently when he returned from dinner. Deep inside however he had a nagging feeling that it wouldnīt and instead it would get worse!