- Text Size +
Behind the Lime Light - Chapter 19

Once Nick had arrived at the hospital he didn’t have to wait long before he was whisked into an examination room and a doctor named Greenheart preformed a quick examination on him. He got a good deal of drugs pumped into his system, hoping to fend off the virus that attacked his blood cells and also lower the fever that was still way too high. Kevin, who came back from a short trip from the restroom where he'd tried to sober up with a dash of cold water, opened the door only to find the doctor leaving the room in a hurry. Doctor Greenheart had been paged with an emergency call.
Nick was some sight where he sat on the bench, dressed in a hospital gown looking all forlorn. He had a dishevelled appearance and seemed genuinely tired. “Nick I thought the doctor told you to take it easy and rest.” Walking up to his friend he tried gently to push his friend to lie back on the bed again.

“No..Don't...It hurts my head too much to lie down.” Looking at his older brother with fever and panic shining in his eyes he added with a mumble, “Kev…do you know what they are going to do? to me?”

“No Nick I don't.” The older man shook his head but judging from his friends scared expression he guessed it wasn’t too nice.

“They are going to perform a lumbar test on me!” Nick was talking like he had been told the deed of doom. Shivering violently, and it wasn’t just because of the fever, he went on. “The doctor told me that they are going to put a spinal tap and take fluid and such.”

“They are?”

“Yeah.” Nick grimaced. “And it’s so gross!”

Kevin had no doubt that it would be a pretty nasty procedure but that was not something he would reveal to Nick who looked more and more frightened where he sat on the bed. Trying to get the young group member to relax he sat down next to him on the bed. “It’s probably done very quickly and I’ve heard that it isn’t that bad.” He was doing his best to sound reassuring but it didn’t help much since Nick shook his head violently despite his effort.

“No you don’t understand!” he said loudly. “They are going to use needles. Big ones!”

If the younger backstreet boy hadn’t been so sick the Kevin would have told Nick that he was a wuss but this time he felt much too sorry for the teen and instead laid his arm around his friends shaking shoulders. “Hey little man, relax. Getting you all worked up won’t make that headache of yours any better. ”

The sick boy looked up, his eyes bloodshot from illness. “That’s easy for you to say, You’re not the one that’s gonna have your whole innards getting sucked from you into a needle.” He mumbled weakly, a green tint appearing on his face as he uttered the words with disgust.

Kevin sighed. Nick was right. He was the lucky one that didn't have to endure such procedure and whatever he said didn't help his friend out much. Feeling the heat from the young boy's body he continued, "I think you should lay down and try to relax for a while." When Nick opened his mouth to obhect he added, “You’re still much too warm despite the medicine the doctor gave you and I’m sure that you’re really tired by now.” He awaited another objection and when none come said with a comforting tone. “I know this scares you but I’m going to be here beside you all the time and until it’s time to do the test I suggest that you try and get some rest.”

For a short moment the teen obeyed and laid down on the hospital bed, closing his eyes. Just when Kevin was sure that he was starting to dose off Nick’s eyes suddenly shot open. “Kevin?”

“Yes?” The older man looked down at the sickly boy.

“You know what a spinal tap is? A lumbar puncture?”

Kevin sighed. He thought Nick was done with that topic. “Yeah sort of.”

“Then what is it? “ The teen’s feverish eyes looked at him.

“Don’t you know? I mean you told me before and...”

“No.” Nick cut him short. “Itīs not that…”

God the kid was starting to get on his nerves and for a moment he wished he hadn’t went into the hospital room and instead had waited outside. Nick was not making much sense right now and he was starting to get too tired to sit and listen to the teen’s gibberish. Trying his best to stay calm he asked, “Nick what do you mean?”

“Are they going to drug me? You know so I won’t feel a thing?” Nick’s voice rose a knot while he sat up leaning on his elbows.

“Probably.” Kevin nodded. “Yeah I think so and like I said it won’t take that long…I think.”

His friend looked like he didn’t believe him. “I don’t want to do that.” Looking at Kevin with begging eyes he continued, “Isn’t the doctors words enough that I have that meni...meningi...” His voice was whiny and it was starting to give the older man a headache. A hangover headache.

“You mean meningitis?” The Kentuckian corrected him. “And to answer your question; no it’s not enough. You need to do the test so they know what kind of germ or virus that they are dealing with and so they can give you the right kind of antibiotics.” He looked sternly at the kid who had laid down again. “They probably want to make sure that it’s not the worst part of meningitis that you got. The bacterial one. That one is bad.”

Even if Nick knew that Kevin was right. That they were doing it to make sure that he wasn’t on the verge of dying this was one procedure that he was scared of going through. Nick wasn’t a wuss. He just didn’t like needles that people stuck into him. The more he thought about it the more panic he felt and soon he found himself yelling at Kevin. “You don’t see…I don’t wanna do it!” Ignoring the headache that was more or less threatening to rip his skull apart he tried to get out of bed. “I wanna leave!” When Kevin pressed him back down he muttered, “You can’t hold me here. You’re not my mom or dad!”

Upon hearing these words the older man had to do his best not to snap. Nick could be such an ass at times, especially when he was in a pressed situation. Holding back his impatience he said, “You’re sick and they need to find out what is bothering you and that in turn means that you have to perform certain tests so they can help you with the right medication.” Sighing he decided he was tired of playing bedside manner with Nick and he started to regret not going to the dinner since it would have been so much easier to deal with. But then who would have discovered Nick and taken him to hospital? Maybe it was fate; maybe it was the meaning for him to get drunk on a day like this?

“I don’t care. I still won’t do it.” Nick was being stubborn despite the high fever he spiked and that his head felt like it would explode any second now. Tears pooled in his eyes and Kevin couldn’t decide if it was from being sick or something else.

“Don’t be stu...” Kevin stopped himself from telling Nick what a wuss he thought he was. The teen wasn’t stupid. He was just scared and why wouldn’t he be? Being sick and all in a foreign country far away from home and his family. Getting admitted to a hospital wasn’t fun either. There were times when Kevin had to remind himself that Nick was just a teen. He was sixteen and was doing a job of an adult, it was no wonder he was a bit childish at times. “Calm down little man,” he said, placing a comforting hand over Nicks hand, just to discover seconds later how warm it was. . “It will be just fine. It’s nothing to be scared about.” He smiled softly.“

Nick looked up with a nervous glance, “You sure?”

“About the test not hurting; yes.” A white lie wouldn’t hurt, would it?

Nick seemed to settle down for a moment. “Promise?”

"Promise." Kevin nodded. Feeling a bit guilty for not exactly telling the truth he said, “If you want I can stay with you while you do the lumbar puncture.” "You would do that to me?"

"Yes." He regretted his words once he’d said them. The prospect of having to endure such a procedure in close view made him feel disgusted and he wished there hadn’t been a satisfied smile on Nick’s lips.

“Thanks Kev,” Nick whispered hoarsely. “You rock, you know that?”

The older man blushed for a second or two, “It’s nothing. You would do the same for me if it was me in that bed, wouldn't you?.

“Maybe.” Nick smiled paley. "But I doubt that. Itīs needles you know." He looked a bit applogetical.

Kevin chuckled. "Yes I know... And it's ok too." Noticing that the teen had closed his eyes he asked softly, "You're feeling bad?" He'd became at once worried when he saw how pale his friend was becoming again.

“Mmmm a little… my head hurts.” Swallowing hard he went on,“ And I I feel a bit sick too.” He had a hard time talking again and didn’t want to sound so whiny but suddenly he was feeling a lot crummier then he did five minutes ago.

“You want me to get someone?” Kevin rose to stand.

“Nah... It's ok. I think the worse is going away. I'll be fine if I don't move too much.” He held the older backstreet boys hand like he was afraid to let go of the grip and when Kevin was trying to lessen it so he could get some circulation back into his fingers his eyes shot open again and he said with panic in his voice. “You won’t go, will you?”

“No.” The Kentuckian shook his head in an attempt to calm his friend down. “I’m going to stay with you, don’t you worry.”

“Ok.” Satisfield over the answer Nick closed his eyes again. It was obvious that he was very tired and the sickness was starting to get the best out off him.

Stroking the teens sweaty strands out of his face Kevin whispered, “Just you relax buddy…Iīm going to sit here beside you and I won’t leave.” To his satisfaction the wrinkles that had been evident on his friend’s forehead had ceased and finally for the first time that day Nick slept peacefully.