- Text Size +
Behind the Lime Light - Chapter 20

The waiting had been long and Kevin had started to think that they had forgot all about them in the midnight rush when the door opened and a young nurse walked into the room, holding a chart in her hand “I’m sorry that you had to wait so long,” she said with an apologetical smile, “I’m here to take Mr. Carter down to surgery.” Her dark hair was put up in a loose ponytail and if she hadn’t carried her name tag which said she was a nurse Kevin would have thought that she was a college student. Tops. She looked young enough.
There was no immediate response from the sick bed even if Kevin suspected the teen to be awake. He felt it in place to say something and smiling back at her he said lightly, “For a moment I thought you had forgot all about us.”

“No,” she giggled nervously. “It’s just that it’s been very busy down here tonight. Lot’s of emergency calls and...and...” Kevin cut her short.

“That’s ok. I understand.”

The nurse seemed to relax a bit. “I’m here to take your brother to do a lumbar puncture.” Kevin opened his mouth to object when he heard a groan, “He’s not my brother.”

Startled that the body in the bed had moved they noticed a pair of dull, glassy eyes looking up at them. “He’s not my brother,” Nick repeated once again which had the nurse bushing a bit.

“Oh…I’m sorry…you’re a friend then?”

“Yeah…He’s Kevin. And he is the one that is going to stay with me.” Nick’s tone was forced and they could tell that he was in a great deal of pain but there were a determination in there also.

“Oh. So you are not relatives then?” The nurse looked a bit confused probably because only relatives were allowed to stay during such a procedure. The older man felt it was fit to give an explanation.

“We’re playing in this band together and we know each other pretty well and he wants me to stay with him since his parents are still back in the states. I hope that is ok with you?” He added one of his smiles that often made a girl’s heart melt and to their relief it worked this time too.

“Ye...Yes,” the young nurse stuttered. “I guess we can do that, but normally only relatives are allowed to accompany.”

“He is my relative,” Nick groaned from the bed.

“But I thought you said…” the nurse started when Nick cut her off, annoyance shining in his voice.

“He takes care of me like an older brother but he isn’t one. Ok” A deep sigh could be heard... “Are you just going to stand there or wheel me to do that surgery so we can get this over and done with?”

“Nick!”

Kevin was about to correct him when the teen mumbled, “My head is killing me and I don’t know if I can stand it anymore.” Upon hearing this, the nurse took some heavy actions and before they knew what hit them she had taken charge of the situation again.

“Just let me go and get the wheel chair and then I’ll wheel you over to surgery. Ok?”

“’k .” Nick wasn’t much talkative which didn’t account for Kevin.

“A wheel chair? You're going to move him in a wheelchair?” His tone raised a knot. “What’s wrong with moving him by bed?”

Nick groaned. The last thing he needed was Kevin to stall the situation any further.

“The elevators are kind of small,” the nurse explained nervously. “It’s better to take the wheelchair since I’m not too sure that a bed would fit that easily and the larger elevators are kind of busy at this hour.”

Kevin opened his mouth to object when Nick groaned loudly. “Kev, leave it. I’ll be fine. Just get me that damned wheel chair so we can get this over and done with.” He sat up slowly in bed and if it wasn’t for the fact that the older man noticed the pain etched on his face he would have gotten a reprimand for his behaviour. Instead the Kentuckian reached out a hand to steady his friend who looked like he was ready to pass out.

Nick’s bad mood in a situation like this was well known. The youngest in the group had a habit to be such a grouch whenever something had to do with his health. AJ used to tease him that he was allergic to everything that resembles doctors or hospitals and to be honest Kevin didn’t think it was that farfetched. Every time it was time for the flu shot Nick was like a thunder cloud so he wasn’t that surprised when the lumbar puncture would bring out his worst side either. When the doctor had told them that the meningitis could cause the patient to be a bit agitated Kevin had nodded thinking that they wouldn’t be able to tell the difference but now he wasn’t so sure anymore. Even if Nick was impatient for his nature he was never rude to anyone outside “the family” and today he had been a pain in the butt.

Making an attempt to calm Nick down, he mumbled comfortingly, “Hey Buddy I know that this scares you…” He was instantly cut off by a sneer comment.

“I’m not scared. I just want this over and done with so I can get some sleep. I’m tired and feel like crap!” Upon hearing the words the older man couldn’t help to feel sad for his friend. Nick was much too young to having to endure all this alone without his parents. He couldn’t help that yet another illness had managed to strike him but it wasn’t fair that he had to suffer without the comfort of his mom and dad. If Kevin was feeling as bad as his friend did right now he would want his mom by his side so he figured the case was the same for Nick too. The bad mood the teen showed could be because of this too and as soon as the sick boy had fallen asleep Kevin intended to call his parents and ask them to come and stay with him. Nick needed his family not just his “brothers.”

“Here you go.”

The nurse was back with the wheelchair and she gestured towards the seat for Nick to come and sit down. Stubborn as always the blonde didn’t want to show how sick he was feeling and how close he was to fainting which led for him standing up on shaky legs. When he swayed dangerously Kevin was there with a helping hand.

“Whoa there man, take it easy.”

But Nick didn’t want any help.

“I’m fine.” The teen shrugged his arm off even if it was evident that he was very dizzy and on the verge of passing out any second.

“Don’t be stupid Nick,” Kevin said tiredly. “Just let us help you.”

“No I can manage on my own.”

But Kevin wasn’t so sure about that and not before he thought it the teen tilted dangerously and they both reached out to steady him.

“I think you should lay down again so you don’t pass out. We can take the bed if you’re feeling that dizzy.” The nurse made an attempt guiding him back to bed again. But Nick was way too stubborn for his own good and he sneered despite feeling like shit.

“Lay off!”

Once again Kevin was there with his help. “No Nicky you’re not well. Listen to the nurse. You’re not thinking clear.”

“Should you say.” The teen snarled. “I’m not the one getting punch drunk this evening and then missing out of work.”

Kevin looked at him with a puzzled but also hurt expression. The nurse acted a bit uncomfortable but she made no comment. If Nick hadn’t been as sick as he was the fist would have hung high in the air but now he found no words to say and it didn’t help when he saw the tears gleaming in the corner of his friends eyes.

“I didn’t mean that Kev,” Nick said silently, biting his lip. He looked genuinely remorseful. “I’m sorry. I don’t know what’s wrong with me today.”

“That’s Ok. You’re sick and the fever is doing a number on your brain.” Kevin forced a smile but it didn’t help since Nick was desperately fighting tears. Confused over the sudden change in mood he pat his shoulder comfortingly. “Come on little man; let’s get you into the wheel chair.”

The nurse had watched the drama unfold in silence and now she was springing into action again. “Yes. Let’s get this over and done with so you can get situated into a room and get good nights sleep.”

There was no answer coming from Nick as they both guided him into the wheelchair and the nurse placed his feet on the stand. Kevin sensed that he felt really bad from being so moody and especially for felling that comment about being drunk. Yet there was not much he could do about the situation and the fact that the teen was scared out of his wits didn’t help it all either. Now all he could do was be a support to Nick and stay with him like he’d promised before. His friend needed to feel safe and he was going to provide him that safety no matter what.

*************************************************************************** The ride up to the surgery went without complications and Nick was silent all the way. Kevin could see that he was desperately fighting his tears and he kept swallowing hard to block them away. Once they were up in surgery Kevin was handed a green shirt and green trousers and Nick was handed a green grown.

“We look like we’re ready to get drafted.” The older man joked but there was no smile back. Instead the teen mumbled with fright in his voice.

“Kev I don’t know if I can do this. What if it will be bad?”

“Buddy didn’t we go over this before?” Kevin asked with a sigh. “I know that it can be a bit uncomfortable but it’s nothing that you can’t handle; besides I’m going to sit next to you like I promised earlier on. It’ll be fine. You’ll see.”

Nick was being moved over to a bed and once he was settled in a woman’s voice broke the silence. “Hi Nickolas I’m Doctor Brown and I’m the one that will perform the lumbar puncture on you.”

Looking up the teen was met with a pair of warm brown eyes and a toothy white smile. He blinked several times having a hard time focusing since the fever was doing a number on his brain again. He could feel the fever rise in his veins and his head was aching so badly despite the drugs that had been pumped into his system earlier on. In a way he felt anxious for this procedure to be over and done with so he could finally relax and get some well needed sleep. Kevin was holding his hand and he could feel the bed moving as they went into the surgery room. He had to swallow constantly to keep the tears that were threatening to spill over a bay.

Kevin and the doctor talked but he had a hard time figuring out what they said since it was all one big murmur. His blood was rushing to his ears and for a moment he feared that he would pass out . Closing his eyes he steeled himself, hoping that it would do the trick as well as lessen the dizziness that was threatening to overwhelm him.

“Nickolas do you know how a lumbar puncture is done?” The middle aged woman asked while she was preparing him for the test.

“No,” He shook his head. “Only that it will hurt like a bitch!”

“Nick!” Once again Kevin was there with a reprimand but he didn’t care. The test scared him more than he wanted to let on. He wasn’t an easily scared person and squeamish was not something anyone could accuse him for yet he hated doctors and hospitals and needles. Those things as well as flying in planes were the worst thing he knew, that was if you didn’t count big fast roller coasters. Howie had his own idea why those things were not high on his list and shrink Dourough said it had to do with control. That he had a hard time dealing with anything that control of his life and where he couldn’t escape even if he wanted too. Nick thought it was nothing but bullshit, even if that was not something he said out loud since it would only hurt Howie and that was the last thing he wanted to happen.

“I don’t think it will hurt that much.” There was a slight chuckle. “But I won’t lie to you. It will feel a bit but nothing that you can’t handle.”

He let out a small moan which none of them took into consideration. “Nick as your friend told you wanted to be called, I want you to lay on your side, your knees drawn up a bit.” He did as she said and she uttered a pleased, “That’s it. Now I want you to lie like this during this procedure. Nurse Creed will hold your head during the procedure, that is so you don’t move and your friend here,” she nodded towards Kevin, “has volunteered to keep you company. However I must add that if any complications occur or I need to take his place I will send him out of the room. Is that clear?”

Nick nodded. His head felt like mush and the drugs he had been given were starting to cling off. That meant that he would start to feel sick soon and it was not something he was looking forward too.

“Will there be any side effects?” Kevin asked suddenly and he could hear the doctor telling him that there could be a headache, much like a migraine, as well as nausea. This had Nick groaning. Not that it would feel much different from what he felt right now, that he was sure of, but he had kind of hoped that once the test was done the severe headache that had accompanied him for what seemed like an eternity would disappear. And now the doctor told him that he would getting even more headaches. Then what was the use of doing this test if he was going to feel like hell from it too? In his fevered brain it made no sense. Nothing did make much sense today.

“I also want you to lay your head on that pillow.” She helped him to lie further up on the cot. “Now I’m going to feel on your spine with my fingers and prep the area by pressing on your spine several times. It won’t hurt but it might be a bit uncomfortable so I want you to tell me if you feel dizzy or nauseous.

“’k.” He was starting to dislike this test more and more for each second that passed on. Biting His lip he held Kevin’s hand. Hard. His older friend sat on his side all dressed in a surgery scrub and Nick could swear that he saw nervousness shining in his eyes. Yet the backstreet boy remained as calm as always.

Nick could feel the doctor finger his spine several times and even if it felt a bit ticklish he still tensed, afraid that it was going to hurt. Snapping on a pair of sterile gloves she continued, “Now when I have prepped your spine I’m going to give you some anaesthetic to numb your area.”

The words made him tense up. “Anaesthetic? As in needles?” He shivered suddenly, but from fear but also from the fever he felt was rising again. A drape was placed on his legs but it did not provide much warmth at all.

“Yes, this might sting a little but it shouldn’t be that uncomfortable.”

When the injection was over all Nick could say” Was that all?” It hadn’t been too bad and if that was the worse he had to endure he was certain he would survive.


“I’m afraid not. As soon as the area is numb I’m going to perform the test.”

“Oh!” This time Nick didn’t answer. He knew that the worst was yet to come and there was no option than to endure the pain. He couldn’t be a wuss and chicken out. That was not up to him to decide.

“Did you feel that?” She pressed against his spine and he shook his head in response.

“No.”

“Good.” With that Nick could hear her preparing the injection and then she said. “This might hurt a little as well as feel a bit uncomfortable but if you lay still the test won’t take too long.” “Ok.” He squeezed his eyes shut while waiting for the sting to come and when he felt the needle pricking his skin he squeezed Kevin’s hand too, cutting out the little blood circulation there was. An urge to scream crossed over him when the needle stretched into his spine, drawing fluid. It was the most nasty feeling he’d ever felt and it made him feel both dizzy and nauseous.

“God please,” Nick whimpered over and over again. “Please stop…it hurts.” Tears rolled down his face when the torture proceeded and no matter how many comforting and soothing words Kevin told him he was still frantic. As the needle stretched further into his body he wanted to cry out but stopped himself from screaming out loud. Instead he cried openly.

“Nick I need you to hold still,” the doctor said firmly and even if he wanted to he couldn’t. It hurt too much and now he was starting to feel even more nauseous too. This sucked big time.

“I fee…feel si..sick,” he mumbled only to gag seconds later.

“I know that it’s not comfortable but try to hold on. You also need to stay still. Then it won’t take that long.”

Swallowing hard this proved to be easier said then done and soon the nurse as well as another nurse that had come to assist where holding him down and to his despair Kevin was whisked away out from the room.

His only safety.

“Noooo!! Not Kevin.” Panic had set in and all he wanted was to get away from the torture and they kept holding him down.

“What we’re going to do?” He could hear the nurses talking over his head and the doctor told them that she couldn’t stop now. Just when he was certain that he would pass out or even worse die from a panic attack firm words told him to get it together.

“Nick listen…I know that this is hurting you but there is nothing I can do about it. All I ask is for you to lay still for a moment so I can continue with this test. I’m just going to go in there one more time.” Now she had changed her tone to a more soft approach. “Think you can handle that?”

The doctor looked him sternly in his eyes and even if he wanted he couldn’t answer since tears filled his throat, making it constrict in the process. She must have taken it as a yes because seconds later he could feel the needle penetrate him again and soon there was another draw back of fluid making him feel like his whole body was sucked through the small hole. Just when he was certain that this was it! That he couldn’t take it anymore the doctor said the magic words;

“Nick you did great. It’s over now. I’m only going to dress a gauge on the wound and then you going to get an injection so that you can sleep tonight. We’re also going to keep you for observation here in the wake up room up in ICU.”

Being too tired and exhausted to talk all he could do was nod. His back hurt so badly and the headache wasn’t any better but at least the nausea had left him without any vomiting spells this time. At least he could feel gratitude for that. Even though he managed by some miracle way to survive he still couldn’t calm down. Not without his friends by his side.