- Text Size +
Behind the Lime Light - Chapter 6
This was the worst crap heīd ever had to endure. Sitting on the staircase in a large drafty hallway and participating in a French class was something that really sucked. On top of this he had to pretend that he was really interested since this event would be aired on TV later on. This was worse than that photo shoot when the photographer, no doubt a pervert, had wanted to take pictures of them in a men's room, standing by the urinal. Nick didnīt know what was worse, the fact that he was in a situation like that or the clothes he had to wear. Golf pants yuck! Today at least he had his own clothes which was a comfort in the midst of all this misery.

There had been many situations when someone, usually a photographer or the camera crew, decided that they had to do something out of the ordinary and usually they could do nothing but act upon it. Sighing Nick concluded that this was no different then an ordinary school lesson that he had to do on the weekdays. Since they were touring all the time there was a tutor with them to help him and AJ with their school work. School had never been high on his list and he had to struggle each day to get work done, usually in between the shows or when he had other obligations to tend too. Spare time was something that was rare these days.

Brian gave him a look like 'Whatīs wrong dude?' and quickly he smiled towards the camera, pretending to be interested in what ever crap was playing on in front of him. He knew when to smile at the right places and looking "cute" in the camera angle. Usually he would goof off too but not today. Today he just felt like sitting down, quiet in a corner and pretend that no one saw him. The headache that had accompanied him all morning was steadily getting worse and he had a hard time thinking clear thoughts. His head felt all buzzy and he could compare it to what it had to feel like walking on clouds.

It was cold and drafty sitting on the staircase and heīd been lucky that no one had pointed out to him that he was still sporting his outdoor sweatshirt and that they wanted him down in a tee instead. Swallowing hard he thought that the only good thing today was that he had managed a few minutes of rest on the bus and the nausea that had crept upon him at the restaurant was on the rebound. It had been worse when he had to sign those autographs and the girls kept screaming all the time hadnīt helped matters much.

He knew that he hadnīt sounded too thrilled when the fans wanted to talk to him but his legs had felt like overcooked spaghetti and as the world suddenly turned 180 degrees for a few seconds all he wanted to do was to get back into the bus, sit down and hope that the dizziness would disappear. Luckily it had helped but he knew by the look on Johnnie as well as Kevin's face that he would be in for a ride too. They had taken notice of his disappearing act and he would have to answer for it later on. 'Oh well,' Nick thought sullenly, 'What else was new?'.

Shrugging his thoughts away he concentrated on the two young girls that were standing next to Sonia. They couldnīt be more than thirteen at the tops and when he tried talking to them they had just giggled. After a while he had given up and instead sat down on the staircase, waiting for the show to go on. Either they hadnīt understood a word of what he said or they was way too nervous or they were retards. Nick opted for the second option. Not that it mattered anyway since any attempt to talk had required strength from his side and this was not something that he had plenty off. Not today at least.

"We thought it would be really cool if you guys would be able to speak some French phrases," Sonia went on, "You know so you can wild the audience." She gestured wildly with her hands. "Is that ok with you guys?"

They all nodded. Nick included.

"Cool." AJ said.

"Tres bien," could be heard from Brian.

This last word stopped the reporter. "Tres bien," she was clearly impressed. "Brian youīre impressing me." Her smile was wide as was Brian's receiving the compliments.

Looking at his friend Nick noticed that Brian played a bit goofy in front of the camera and deep inside he felt a bit surprised. Heīd never known that the Kentuckian could speak French, and with the right accent too. Howie was usually the language genius in the group and smugly Nick thought that it wouldnīt be long before Sweet D would take up the fight for the trophy. Once the shock had died down the reporter went on with presenting the two girls. The two lucky fans that had been designated to act like the guys tutors.

"They are going to teach a couple of phrases." The host looked at them "Are you guys ready?"

No! He wasnīt ready, yet that he couldnīt say that and he nodded like the rest of the guys. He suspected that at least AJ was as interested as he was and actually got a bit surprised when he noticed the rebel following the language like heīd talked it before. People often misjudged AJ, thinking that he was an hardass when he in reality was very smart, street smart and did very good with his school work.

Nick kept a low profile in a hope to get the guys to think he was spacing out again and then pay him none or at least little attention. Kevin was the one that had caught him an eye or two and he could see that the older man wasnīt too happy about him. Why he had no idea since clearly it couldnīt just be about the "pea accident" could it?

Kevin had also snapped at him when heīd asked about when they would be done for the day. Heīd responded in an annoyed tone something like "Why? Are you trying to skip things again?" When heīd objected his older brother had shut him up with, "Donīt you think that youīre getting special treatment. You have obligations like the rest of us!"

Jeeze Kevin was testy.

The words had Nick in for a surprise since it wasnīt like Kevin to act in such a way. He had no chance to defend himself since the moment he opened his mouth to ask what was the matter with his friend the camera crew told them that they had to take a seat and get ready for the shoot. Taking his position next to Brian on the step he decided to show his "brothers" that he wasnīt skipping out of things and tried to act as casual as it was possible. Part of him wished that heīd told his friends how shitty he felt since maybe then they would have a bit of compassion, or at least understand why he was in a mood. But then on the other hand it could lead to that they thought he was a whiner, a wuss, a whimp, and that was something he hated to be called. If he would start to feel worse the guys would find out sooner or later and therefore he decided to keep his mouth shut, at least for the time being since a headache was nothing to take too much concern about.

The woman was talking and talking and he desperately wished that she would come to the point sometime. Listening with half an ear he took in that she was presenting the two girls, while the other half was turning back to his thoughts about Kevin. For some unknown reason Kevin had snarled at him "Weīre going to have a talk later on tonight, Nickolas." Kevin only acted that way when it was something serious or he was really upset and now his thoughts wondered off what it was all about.

He wasnīt being very talkative today but then who could blame him? The headache combined with the jetlag made his head spin and it was almost impossible to concentrate on something else beside the throbbing pain in his temples. Being out in the cold too long had left shivers down his body and now he was suffering from chills running down his spine all the time. It felt like he was coming down with something. Pulling the sleeves of his sweatshirt over his hands he tried to get some warmth into his shivering body. God couldnīt someone turn up the heat?

A laugh from the guys brought him back to reality. It was Brian that was goofing around and the reporter simply loved him. Howie, who usually ended up as the reporters pet, sat in silence and Nick could tell that he didnīt like being ditched by Brian and would probably go for her attention too. Probably by showing off when it was his turn to say the French words.

All of the guys were such attention hams and they were all playing it along to the camera, one time or the other.

"We will teach you a couple of suggestions." Sonia continued, looking at them before continuing, "Ok are you guys ready?"

Nick nodded like in autopilot. He had no idea what she was talking about but since the rest of the guys seemed to be agreeing so did he.

"Mylene," she gestured towards one of the girls "is going to teach you some phrase that you can use when youīre opening the show. You know sometimes it can be fun to say a word or two. Ok?"

Another nod.

"They will teach you how to open the show. You know say hi to everybody, how youīre doing, you know that sort of feel."

Before Nick knew what hit him the girls read up some sentences on French that was completely impossible to understand. He felt his mind go in overdrive and for a moment he hesitated if he should leave the room. Having to listening to someone talking was bad but to actually hear words being said in a foreign language and then also following it by repeating what those girls said made it impossible.

There were a loud buzzing sound when everybody but Nick was doing their best to follow the words and show off in the process. Not successful at all.

"Iīve got it!" Brian goofed off a bit, trying to divert the attention of the bad language skills that everyone showed.

Noticing that the boys looked like questionmarks the hostess took back the ball. "Ok lets do one word at the time."

The guys were all talking in the mouth of each other, all but Nick that felt like he just wanted to lay down. This was too much for his tired brain and it didnīt help his headache much either. Kevin that sat behind was talking really loud and for a moment he wanted to turn around and tell him to be a bit more quiet but that would be really inappropriate and instead Nick suffered in silence.

All of the guys were really into the lesson, AJ included and they were following all the words that was being said. Nick on the other hand just wished that this torture would be over and he would be able to get to his hotelroom and sleep.

Brian most have sensed that something was off since he mouthed a "youīre ok?" while the girls were talking. He had no chance to answer since Sonia demanded their attention again.

"Letīs everybody say after me, Bonsoir tout le monde."

The guys, all but Nick repeated after her and to his dismay he found out that they were really into this lesson. They kept repeating the sentence all over again. It was freaking annoying since he had no idea what they were talking about.

"Bonsoir tout le monde. Everybody one at the time."

Nick felt like he would die. Not only hadnīt he paid attention but having to say a French phrase, in the correct accent was something that he dreaded. He would make a fool out of himself.

Cold sweat trickled down his forehead and his neck. Hearing the guys pronounce the sentence without flaws made him even more nervous and he was starting to think that he would screw it all up. His hands felt strangely cold and the more she saluted the rest of the boys over their fine accents the more pressure he felt.

"Howies turn."

The Latino said with perfection, "Bonsoir tout le monde." Adding a smile afterwards."Mon cheri!"

That was so much like Howie, always trying to be a charmer. Normally it would have made him laugh but this time he could feel everybody waiting for him to continue. In a fast speed he said the words and was very relieved that she didnīt correct him or nothing. The guys repeated the sentence once again and this time he followed along. Finally Sonia seemed to have enough and moved along with the topic.

Brian goofed again and Nick hit him in the head, like they often did when they were playing along with the camera. All to grant the fans.

She kept talking about the songs and how they would sound in French and Nick listened while trying to judge why it had gotten so hot in the room all of the sudden. He wished heīd taken off his sweatshirt since the blinding light was making him sweat something devious. It wasnīt all the light was making him. For some strange reason, could have to do with the headache the light made his eyes sensitive and he felt them water more and more.

The words Sonia had written on the old chalk board was hard to distinguished and her repeating it didnīt help matters either. The guys were talking in their mouth again and the sound was reaching loud levels. Brian was the first to figure out what it meant.

"Iīll never break your heart." He said it like he was a born Frenchman.

"Oh Brian! B'rok!" Sonia squealed in delighted as she guessed over him what a talent he was.

"I knew it," Howie whispered to him and Nick couldnīt help but smile inside. The battle was on. They were really competing right now.

Brian, not wasting any time, made a gesture of victory, calling out a happy, "Qui, Qui!"

"Great man." Kevin greeted him. AJ was silent, either he thought that Brian was taking too much space or he didnīt think it was worth congratulating. Nick started to suspect that he was getting just as tired of this charade too.

The teen looked appreciatively at his friend. It was good that B was winning over Howie since D had a habit of always wanted to be so outstanding in everything. But so did Brian too. They were both competitors on different arenas.

"You wanna read this one?" Sonia was turning all her attention to Brian now.

"Iīm what?" The Kentuckian looked stupidly into the camera while repeating the French words she said to him. Howie was the one following the words that Brian said and Nick smiled again. The Latino refused to loose.

"Oh that is very good Brian," Sonia gushed to all of them before adding, "Do you think you can sing the song Iīll never break your heart to us?"

"Sure." Brian was really in a good mood.

"Ok."

Right before they were about to start Nick felt a hand on his shoulder. Turning around he was met with AJīs concerned look. "You alright?"

Looking down, shielding away from his searching eyes Nick mumbled a yes before it was time to start singing "Iīll never break your heart" Acapella.

"Sure?" It was clear that the rebel didnīt believe him.

"Mmmm." Nick was too tired to say anything and deep inside he wondered if it showed so much how poorly he was feeling and what the fans would think.

"You ready?" Kevin broke in before they sang on cue.

Closing his eyes Nick felt a moment of comfort since it hurt too much to keep them opened. He hoped that it would come away like he was emotional and not doing his best to stay awake. The chills that had his body in a grip had lessened and replaced was a burning feeling on his cheeks. Now he was pretty sure that he was running a fever and it wasnīt all jetleg anymore.

He sang holding his arms around his legs and rocking slowly to the music and before he knew it they were done singing. Looking up he noticed Brian frowning at him like he was wondering what was the matter. There was big applause from Sonia, the girls and the camera crew.

Looking at the guys she grabbed her chalk and then wrote a big A on the board. "You made it!"

"Whoaaaa." All of the guys screamed, making a victory sign, Nick included. "This was fun!" It was Brian's words no doubt.

"Thank you so very much for this lesson," Sonia said with a large smile and the girls giggled in response.

"No itīs us that should say thank you," Howie charmed, blinking his eye in that stupid way that Nick thought was a bit too much. As to state his point he filled in "Merci."

"Oh man," AJ snickered in the back, him too getting a notice of the game that he and Brian was playing.

"Thank you for coming here and singing to us." The reporter really knew how to spread around nice words. Before anyone could object she added "And now weīre on our way to the meet and greet. Follow me and weīll walk a short cut through the basement to the arena.

"Just peachy," Nick muttered sullenly. There was no strength what so ever to get up and meet a bunch of fans. His joints felt stiff and achy and he was getting more and more certain that another flu bug had hit his system. Brian as well as the rest of the guys moved on swiftly while Nick felt like an old man getting up. With slow steps that felt like he was trapped in slowmotion he made it out of the room. He had to stop to catch his breath.

Shit he felt really bad now.

A chill ran down his spine and he desperately wished heīd taken on something warmer than just this. Running his hands up and down across his arms Howie spotted him standing, waiting for the rest of the guys to make an entrance so they could go into the sports arena and the hundreds of waiting fans.

"You cold?" Howie looked at him with a frown.

"A bit." Nick admitted, closing his eyes as to savor some strength. Looking up he murmured "I guess I didnīt take anything warm with me and this," he nipped at his sweatshirt "this does nothing for this kind of cold."

"You wanna borrow my jacket?"

"No." Nick shook his head, "Thatīs fine. I just need to find a hat or a cap or something to put on my head. Itīs freezing and you know." He smiled palely, "You know what my mom use to say. Always protect your head and you will get warmth."

Howie chuckled. "Yeah Nicky your mom was right." With that he picked something out of his jacket pocket. Something gray. Handing it to Nick he said, "Here take this at least. I don't need it."

Looking down at the gift he saw that it was striped knitted hat in different shades of gray. It was quite ugly and his first thought was how Howie had ended up with a hat like this. Was this something that a fans would give him? If it was that girl sure had no taste!

"Mom packed it to me," the Latino explained apologetically. He blushed.

Nick smiled back. Howie was 24 and his mom packed down his stuff for him. Was that weird or what? But then his own thoughts went back to his mother and the smile faded suddenly. He was 16 and he was supposed to pack down his own stuff. His mother had never time for such things since she was way too busy tending to his other four siblings. Which was worse, having a mother caring or one that didnīt? He had no idea.

"Eh..uh..tell..tell your mom that it was good that she packed this..and..and that I could borrow it." The teen put it on his head, making sure that his ears were warm and cozy. Maybe this was the only thing that mattered to him, that heīd been in the wind and cold too long.

"You know Nicky," Howie said after studied him. "You can have that cap if you want."

"I can?" He wasnīt little surprised over the sudden generosity that his friend had showed him. "I mean is that really ok?"

"Sure." Howie shrugged as to state his point. "Iīll just ask my grandma to knit me another one." He smiled towards the teen. "No problem really."

"Your..your grandma made you this?" The ugly knitted cap on his head felt suddenly pretty good. Howie could laugh himself happy to have such great relatives.

"Yeah and if you.." Howie started but was cut off by Kevin coming back towards them.

"There you are! What are you doing here stalling?" He sounded a bit annoyed. "Weīve been waiting for you since Sonia was going to show us a short cut. Come on," he pulled at Nicks sleeve, "Come on or weīll be late at the meet and greet."

Nick wanted to object, wanted to tell Kevin how he really felt but there were no use since the older man wasnīt in a listening mood. He seemed a bit stressed out. He was also in a foul mood.

Brian came running, "The fans are waiting and weīre a bit late." He gestured with his thumb towards a staircase further down, "Come on follow me. AJ and the rest is waiting for you."

God Nick wanted to say. They were acting like he was hours late when in reality it couldnīt be more than minutes. He walked briskly next to the others, not wanting to let them know that he had a hard time keeping up. Down the stairs he found AJ, Sonia, Johnny, the girls and the camera crew.

"There you are," Sonia said the moment they appeared in the door. "Weīre running a bit late so you have to hurry." She opened the door in front of her. "Off you go."

Nick felt annoyed. She sounded like a pre-school teacher.

"Hurry up Kaos," AJ shouted when he saw that Nick wasnīt tagging along like the rest of them.

"Ok..Ok.." he panted, "Iīm co..coming." The teen was doing his best to keep up but his legs refused to obey and it felt like soda flooded his veins, making him all fuzzy. Every step made his head hurt even more and he was having a hard time to keep up with them. Just when he thought he couldnīt take it anylonger they arrived at the door. The door that lead to the sports arena and to all of the screaming fans. The door that lead to even more misery.

Nick groaned. This was a bit too much and he didnīt know how he would cope with it all. Yet he had to do it. All for the fans!