- Text Size +
Behind the Lime Light - Chapter 7
As always there had been changes in the schedule once they arrived at the sports arena.

"There have been some changes in the schedule," Johnny said firmly, "Due to some technical problems with the sound equipment on stage you will first do the meet and greet."

A noise of disappointment could be heard in the corridor. Ignoring this, the black manager continued, "There are twenty-five fans, all winners in a contest that Much Music held a few months back, that you will meet and greet." He looked at everyone of the guys, "You know the usual routine..signing, taking pictures and small talk."

The five men nodded. Meet and greets have always been a big part of meeting their fans and they had done about hundreds by now. Usually they liked doing them but there were times when all of the guys thought that it was such a drag and that they would do anything to skip it. Yet there was little or no chance for this since Johnny, Donna and Lou held them in a tight grip. It was their obligation and there would be no excuses. The work had to be done!

They were whisked backstage behind the sports arena where they were supposed to wait until the contestants arrived.

Brian who was in a very good mood was playing along with the camera crew. He was making goofy faces and pretending to be a reporter, commenting on everything while they were waiting for the fans.

Holding up a brush as a fake mic he went on. "Weīre backstage, waiting for twenty-five lucky or unlucky," he grinned, "winners to meet us." He made a face, "Poor them!"

Kevin, who was standing talking to Johnny looked displeased at Brian who in his thoughts was making a complete fool of himself. But then what else was new about his cousin? There were times when the older guy seriously wondered how old his cousin really was. He could be so immature that it wasnīt even funny.

Howie, always with a smile on his lips, walked up from behind Brian's back, "What are you standing here lying about?" He grinned.

Immediately the Kentuckian pulled up the thread. "Me lying?" He looked innocent. "I never lie," he grinned to the camera, "Do I?"

He got no answer since a loud sigh broke the silence. It was Nick standing there, looking all forlorn. Walking up to him Brian placed an arm on his friends shoulder just to be shrugged away seconds later. "What's the matter buddy?"

"Nothing." Nick looked really miserable.

Brian, who sensed that something was the matter but couldnīt pin point it spotted the camera following him and then quickly decided to play it off. "I mean what is the matter with you..wearing that ugly cap." He hit slightly towards Nicks head and the teen blushed.

"Itīs cold out there!" The tone was a bit whiny.

"Yeah it sure is buddy." Not wanting to embarrass the teen anymore Brian walked away, the camera following him and then he started to do an impression of Donald Duck. All to satisfy the fans.

As soon as the camera was out of vision AJ walked straight up to his friend. "Youīre freezing?"

The teen shrugged.

"Because if you are..itīs weird since weīre inside if you havenīt noticed." He shook his head. "B is right. Where did you dig up that ugly cap?"

"Howie's grandma."

"Dīs grandma? The kid had to be worse off then he said. "What does she have to do with anything?" He frowned. "You sure youīre alright? You look like you are about to kneel over any sec."

"I said I was fine. 'kay?" Nick mumbled, not sounding too convincing Holding up a hand, AJ continued. "Chill man..you donīt have to bite my head off or anything. Iīm just asking."

"Well donīt."

The rebel sighed. Everybody was so testy these days. He couldnīt ask a simple question or they would jump on each others throat. Maybe the jetlag was shredding its victims.

"Stop talking so much nonsense. The fans are waiting." It was Kevin coming to the scene.

What was the matter with him? AJ was about to say something back when Brian cut in with a laugh. "Ai Ai Captain." He saluted his cousin who shook his head, disgusted.

"Sometimes I wonder how old you are. I really think we have enough babies in this group." He pointed at Nick who looked like he was spacing out.

"You donīt have to be mean Kevin" Howie was coming to Nick's defense. "That was uncalled for."

"Really?" Kevin sneered, "Well look at him. Heīs just standing there, looking like a moron! Not paying any attention" The older man sighed, "as usual."

"Knock it off." AJ said, feeling like he had to defend the kid, even if he had been sneered at seconds ago. "Nick isnīt feeling alright." The teen looked positively pale.

"Iīm fine." He was talking slow and careful like it really hurt to talk. Closing his eyes he looked like he was doing his best to gather strength.

"No youīre not. You told me you have a hea..." Howie was cut off with Sonia coming into the room, sounding excited. "The fans are here now and they are waiting!"

Instantly the guys stopped their bickering and instead turned their attention to the door that opened and twenty-five lucky fans that were looking forward to meet their idols came into the room. For 45 minutes the guys did their best to meet their demands and write autographs, taking picture as well as make some small talk.

A while later, after all the fans had left the room they had a short break to relax before it was time to hit the stage.

"Wow that was awesome," Howie commented as he grabbed his water bottle, took a swag swallowing it down.

"Yeah," AJ agreed, "Did you see that blonde? She sure was a prize winner." The both friends laughed.

Brian grabbed a water bottle, sitting down next to Nick on the couch. "You want some?" Holding out his bottle he offered a taste. the teen shook his head. "No?" Surprise could be heard in the young mans voice. "How come? You look like youīre about to melt away."

"I have my own..thanks." He gestured towards the bottle on the floor. Brian noticed that whenever Nick talked it sounded like he was putting on a lot of strain to get the words out and he appeared completely drained. He was also constantly wiping the sweat that poured down his temples off with his sleeve. "God itīs warm here," he complained, looking like he was about to melt away.

"No wonder," Kevin muttered. " Take off that cap and youīll feel better."

The teen mumbled something but did as his friend suggested only to reveal a serious case of bedhair!

"God Nicky you look like apeshit!" AJ commented with a grin. "Put on that ugly cap again or find a comb!"

The guys laughed which had their friend blushing.

"Mīsorry."

Handing him the brush that Brian had pretended earlier to be the mic, Johnny said with a sigh, "Here..try and straighten that mess out." Accepting it with an apologetical glance Nick did his best to get his hair too look presentable. But it was a futile try since the hair looked just as bad as he felt and that wouldnīt say little.

Suddenly Sonia barged into the room. "The sound equipment is fixed and there are hundreds of fans, waiting and screaming for you to come onstage."

The guys draw back a breath. They had no idea that so many had come to see them.

"Are you guys ready?" she asked with a smile, before counting down, "three..two...One.."

And off they went.

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************** "Wow," AJ uttered in amazement. Heīd heard that they were big in Canada but had no idea that they were THIS big. The sports arena was packed with hundreds of fans waiting for them to perform. You might think that it was a full concert and not a performance of two maybe three songs. The fans cheered loudly, shouting their names and when the guys came into view the screams were so loud that it was almost deafening. "Damn this is wild."

Both Kevin and Howie nodded in agreement as they were taking their seats on the small barstools on the stage. Looking out to the crowed he noticed that the fans had taken their time to write large signs that said "I love the Backstreet Boys" and was filled with painted hearts as well as signs like "Love U Nick" or "I wanna have you AJ! Tonight!"

He grinned at that text. The girl that was holding the sign had a tight sexy top and long hair and if he hadnīt been so involved in a relationship with his Amanda he would have asked her backstage.

Lots of camera flashes went on as they sat down on the seats and AJ who was sitting next to Nick could see that his friend was blinking rapidly towards the flashes and the light. For a moment AJ thought that it actually looked like it was hurting his eyes. He opened his mouth to ask if something was wrong when Sonia came on the stage in a mission to present them.

"I am very honored to present to you.."

Screams interrupted her words as she smiled and did another attempt. "I said Iīm very honored to present to you.." Brief pause, "five special guys all the way from the United States..." Another pause while the fans were screaming their heads off. She laughed and AJ tensed. "Here are the BACKSTREEET BOYYYYSSSSS!!!"

If the fans had made a noise in the beginning it was nothing compared to what they were making now. They were totally ecstatic and the applause seemed never to want to stop.

AJ grinned.

This was what he lived for. Doing concerts, meeting the fans, making other people happy. He was a performer. Loved singing and dancing and meeting the fans. Heīd been once described in a magazine for being the most sociable one as well as a ladies man. The first was something he could agree upon since he loved going out there, feeling the pulse and entertaining people.

AJ was the first to grab the mic. "Heeelllooooo Quebeeecccc," he shouted at them, getting lots of screams back. "Are youuuu guuuys doiiing allrigghhttt?"

"YESSSSS!!!" The fans screamed so loud that AJ was certain that his eardrums would popp. "We loooooveee youuuuuuu!!!"

Grinning widely at them he added, "That is great. Cause we love you tooo."

Those last words made a real success. The fans were getting wilder by the moment. If it was like this in an ordinary sports arena at daytime what would it be like at tomorrow evening's concert? AJ could only speculate. That and hope that it would be just as crazy, if not crazier.

Brian, who was in a very good mood after winning the "French language contest" grabbed his mic too. "Hey there," he said, smiling in the way that only he could do. The girls squealed in delight. "Iīm B'rok and I just wanna tell you that weīre so happy to be finally touring here in Canada." He paused briefly, waiting for the worst screaming to die down. "And to be with you!"

There was no limit to the girls excitement.

"I LOVE YOU BRIAN!!!" The screams for him were endless.

Then it was Howie's turn to present himself, "Hi Iīm Howie D!" he said with a large smile as if it wasnīt enough he added in French that he loved them. The success was a fact.

Kevin made the fans scream too and AJ grinned as one girl yelled loudly, "I wanna have sex with you Kevin." She was quickly escorted out of the arena by two guards. This was a family show and it was not only teenage girls present. There were a few older fans too.

Nick was on next.

AJ watched as his friend grab the mic, almost in slow-motion. His mere presence made the girls scream like crazy and there was no doubt who was the most popular of the five. But Nick didnīt look as appreciative over the riot he was causing. Instead he saw that the teen appeared to be wincing, looking very uncomfortable over the loud sounds. It was probably that headache that Nick had complained about earlier that was making itself reminded. Not that AJ thought it was weird since it was loud enough to get him a migraine, even if he wasnīt prone to them at all.

It was chaotic.

"Iīm Nick!" His voice was hoarse but that didnīt matter since the girls would outvoice anything he said anyway. AJ noticed that sweat was pearling on his forehead and the pale almost green shimmer on his complexion made him think that something had to be seriously wrong with this guy. He looked like hell and it couldnīt just be jetlag, headache or pure exhaustion. His friend probably caught some kind of bug to look like that. Whatever it was he intended to find out as soon as he got a short moment with Nick.

AJ decided that as shitty as he looked he didnīt belong on a stage nor less in front of hundreds of people and he should go back to the hotel and get some rest instead. That was usually the only way to kick an upcoming virus like this. Looking at the teen he noticed that he had plastered a forced smile on his lips and the way his eyes went back and forth it was clear that he was thinking of something to say to the crowed. They had slowed down a knot, waiting for the hunk to say something more.

"Uh..eh.." Nick stuttered before adding, "Love you guys!"

That was enough to make the room lift an inch. The noise was unbearable and silently AJ wondered why the girls were acting like this when it was Nick that entered the scene. It was almost like they were frantic.

Brian most have thought that it was time to start the show since as soon as Nick had went back to silence again heīd taken up the cue and they sang "Iīll never break your heart." Acapella.

The song was met with loud applause. The fans loved them.

Next song that they played was "Iīll go anywhere for you." And this time they were performing it not sitting down. Catching a glance he noticed that Nick was just standing there, looking like he was doing his best to focus on the crowd out there. He seemed dizzy and after first dismissing the thought he saw how his friend swayed a bit, like he was unsteady on his feet.

Shit! The kid was about to pass out.

Sweat poured down his forehead and he looked ghostly pale. AJīs first thought was to call upon the attention to either Kevin or Brian but they were in the middle of a song and he had to find another way out of this. Looking at his friend he saw that Nick was doing his best to stand up straight and without thinking he walked up to the kid, placing an arm around his shoulder and neck in an attempt to make it look buddy like. First he didnīt know how his friend would react to such gesture but then he thought 'Fuck it!' After all he had to do something. The action was met by surprise but nothing was being done to shrug his comforting arm away, instead Nick seemed to lean closer to him, like in support and he could feel the heat through his clothes.

Damn the kid was running a fever.

Why hadnīt he told anyone that he was feeling this crappy? He had no business being on stage looking like this and if AJ had been the one with the power he would have forced Nick back to the hotel for some rest. But since he had no such power for doing something like that since it was Johnny and Lou that made the calls, he had to shut up and pretend that all was fine and dandy. One look at Nick told him that he wasnīt. Not at all.

Spotting Kevin's frown he neglected it swiftly. For the time being the teen needed the support and only when AJ was sure that his friend felt a bit better he moved his arm and then returned back to his place, trying to make it sound like it was part of the show routine

"Thanks." The blonde whispered silently before turning back to his position again.

"No prob." He did his best to act like it had been nothing even if he hated to admit that the kid got him a bit concerned. Luckily the rest of the song went out without a hitch.

The next song they were supposed to perform was "Weīve got it going on." It had lots of dance routines in it and AJ feared that it would be a bit too hard for Nick to keep up with. With that on his mind he tried to get Kevin's or Brian's attention to tell them that maybe they should skip that part. But the two cousins were much too busy joking with each other as well as responsing to the crowd's cheering. With a sigh he could do nothing but hope for the best.

During the performance AJ caught a nervous glance at Nick who was doing his best to keep up with he dance routines. He was sweating profusely and there was a green tint on his cheeks.

Adding more misery to the situation the fans were allowed to ask questions to the guys, but due to running a bit late on schedule they were only allowed to ask one question to each member. AJ got asked if he was dating someone.

"Not right now." He flat out lied. "But I have been dating girls in the past." He also added some sappy reply about how he loved girls and so on. Johnny seemed at least pleased with his answer since there was an untold rule never to tell anything about girlfriends. That could cause unwanted publicity as well as cut down the record sales if it was revealed that some of the guys were already taken.

Kevin's question where how they met and with perfection he told the fans how they had met and how they had done the first concert.

Brian was asked about his heart problem and Howie was asked about what his favorite candy was. "Gummy bears" was the Latinos response without hesitation. This caused a scream in the audience and with many words the Latino started to tell about one time in Germany when he received a really big box filled with Gummy bears and how they had stuffed their mouths with that goodie.

Nick was asked, as usual, how he liked being the youngest Backstreet boy and his reply was short. "Great!." There was no emotion in his words and AJ could see Kevin frowning at that reply. When the teen said nothing more Sonia concluded that the time for questioning as well as the show was over

"See you all at the concert tomorrow night!" The guys yelled, waving with their hands before they left the stage.

There was loud screaming from the auditorium as Sonia was lotting out tickets to the otherwise sold out concert. Ten lucky fans became the winners and they would all get to meet the guys backstage at tomorrow nights concert.

Once backstage AJ couldnīt help it but he felt relieved. The thought of having to endure another half an hour on this hot stage didnīt sound too promising. Especially not for Nick who seemed uncomfortable enough.

"Ok Nickolas what the heck was that all about?" Kevin questioned the blonde as soon as they were out of view from the fans and audience.

"What?" Nick wiped away the sweat from his forehead.

"You not talking or anything..are you mute or something?" The tall man spat, clearly annoyed.

"No."

Noticing the start of an argument AJ jumped in. "Leave him alone Train. Heīs tired and isn't feeling so great."

"Weīre all tired," Kevin sneered, "Thatīs no excuse for behaving indecent." Kevin was in a mood. "Itīs just bullshit. All Nick wants do these days is try to find the easier way out. Donīt think that I didnīt hear that you snapped to some girls when we were supposed to sign autographs." There was hostility in his voice.

The teen looked blankly at him.

"Is that true?" Brian asked a bit surprised. "When did this happen?"

Nick had no chance answering since Kevin cut in. "Outside the resturant..earlier on."

"Ok." Turning to the exhausted blonde his friend asked, "Did you refuse to sign autographs? Is Kev telling the truth?"

"No." Nick shook his head but they could tell he was lying. "I was..eh..a bit tired and cold and needed to get into the bus." This was part true. "Anyway since they didnīt push on or anything I went into the bus. But..but I didnīt snap at them!"

"That wasnīt what they told me." Kevin set his eyes into the blonde who shifted nervously. "You talked to them?" He swallowed hard, looking like he wanted out of the room.

"Yes. They told me that you have been rude to them and you know what Johnny and Lou" there was a threat in the older boys tone, "think of that kind of behavior"

Nick swallowed hard.

"Leave it Kev." Brian said with a sigh, thinking that his cousin was being a bit to hard on the kid.

"No." Kevin shook his head. "The kid needs to learn that not everyone is going after his plans."

"Big fucking deal." AJ suddenly snarled. "So if he told some girls off..I bet they were kind of rude anyway. Chill out man."

To Nick's surprise none other than Alexander James McLean was coming to his defense

Kevin snapped. "Donīt YOU tell me what to do. Besides this is between me and Nicky. You have no business butting into it." He looked sternly at AJ before adding, "And what the hell was all that about out there..when we were performing?"

"What the hell was what about?" AJ bit back.

"You holding an arm around Nick's shoulder, neck. That wasnīt in the dance routine." Kevin was such a perfectionist.

"Jeeze Train. Knock it off!" AJ was starting to get annoyed over the way he was being criticized. It was uncalled for.

"It looked a bit weird." Brian agreed.

"Donīt you mean gay" Kevin mumbled.

Annoyed over that kind of comment AJ snarled, "Youīre the one that should talk about being gay? Iīm not the one that borrows my mom's skirt."

"Watch it boy." Kevin was getting mad. "You better work on that attitude since youīre seriously pissing me off."

"Everything is pissing you off these days." Nick mumbled quietly just to be met with a hard glare from his friend.

"Like youīre the one to talk. At least I spend some time with the fans while you always try to find the easier way out."

"Right!"

"Are you mouthing off?" Now Kevin was getting seriously mad.

The blonde shook his head.

"Good."

Things were getting a bit tense and Brian had a habit to leave the room when it heated up. Instead AJ came to the blondes rescue. "If you havenīt noticed something is off with Nick today." The teen frowned upon hearing those words but the rebel ignored it.

"So? Something is always off with that kid. Damn he always acts like a baby." Kevin muttered, not taking any consideration that the teen was standing next to him, looking like he wanted to sink through a hole in the ground.

This was starting to get ugly. It was so unlike the oldest member to be so pissy that AJ started to wonder if something had happened over the break. "Dude you sure are testy today," he said, not taking notice over the nasty things coming out of the older boys mouth. "Something happen?"

"Nothing happened beside I have to baby sit you guys!" Kevin was in no mood for talking.

"Ouch!" the rebel pretended to get burned. "I can detect some hostile feelings here. Whatīs the matter? You didnīt score anything on the break?" He was referring to Kevin's long time on and off girlfriend Kristin.

"Thatīs none of your business."

AJ had hit a sore spot.

"Donīt you know Kev that a guy needs to get it on from time to time or he will wither away?" He was trying to make a joke in hopes to get his friend to cheer up a bit and laugh at the situation.

But nothing like that happened. Instead Kevin snarled, "If I were you I would watch what I was saying."

Surprised over this sudden take in the conversation AJ felt confused. "Dude what is wrong?"

For a moment it looked like Kevin was about to say what was on his mind when Howie came into the room, and instead he muttered something about having to stay with a bunch of children.

"Sorry to interrupt you all," Howie said, panting like heīd been in a hurry. "But Iīve talked to Johnny and Sonia and we have to get back to the hotel again. You know to do those interviews.

A loud sigh could be heard in the room.

Even if the small performance had been a success the early hours and the flight was starting to take a toll of their bodies. They hadnīt had a chance to check into their hotel rooms since the schedule had been non stop ever since they arrived in Canada. It was quickly starting to become a tad too much and on top of it all they were no where near finished for today.