- Text Size +
Behind the Lime Light - Chapter 9

"Describe to me that very first time the Backstreet Boys got up on stage. You had to perform that first number together. What was it right before you guys got up on stage? What did you say to each other?" Sonia asked, sitting on the bed next to Brian.

"Oh Lordy help us," Howie said with a light girlish tone, looking up to the ceiling, in a lame attempt to make a joke.

"Good luck Ajee, " Kevin filled in and all but Nick fell different comments of what could have been said. One crazier then the other. When the comments and jokes finally died down Brian was the only one that felt compelled to tell what had went on that historical time.

"It was a night of us people rocking the house, you know." He itched his nose. "It was the 8th of may 1993. I remember the day. And.." He looked dreamily to his side, "and we were all grouped up and saying a prayer and it was like be with us and lets rock this house and bring it out there. And we were only on stage for letīs say," he thought for a second, "fifteen minutes. Tops. But it was just...just unbelievable"

"Aha." Sonia was following the story while the rest of the guys pretended to be interested. "Did you know then that something was happening with the magic, the chemistry and that something would come out of it?" She was still turning towards Brian who seemed the only one willing to talk about the event. "Did you feel it?"

"You know Brian actually knew that it would be valid. And that it would work." AJ cut into the conversation.

"Thank you man." The Kentuckian smiled widely, looking up at his friend who grinned back.

"No prob." They slapped each others hands in commitment.

"What was the song that you were singing before you actually got written material?" Sonia wanted to know as the next question.

Funny memories popped up into Brian's head and smiling he turned towards Nick in a hope that they would laugh to the crazy songs that they had been singing. To his surprise the teen showed no interest what so ever and he looked blankly at him. Brian held his eyes on Nick for a moment and as Howie started to tell about how they did acapella he moved his eyes back to his friend again. Just to notice that the teen wasnīt smiling at all and that he looked more dead than alive where he was sitting. This had Brian come to the conclusion that something had to be really off with the kid since laughter was usually just around the corner, especially when issues like this were being brought up.

"Like what?" Sonia asked and when the camera scanned into Howie he mouthed a "Youīre ok?" to Nick who responded not with a nod but a headashake. This sudden change in behavior had Brian a bit concerned and no more than ever he wished for the interview to end soon, if not for his but Nick's sake. The teen looked positively ghostly.

"What did you start with..any song. What song?" Sonia wanted to know and Kevin was the one to respond to that. He talked about different covers they had done and after the long and a bit boring information had been told Sonia asked them if they could sing one of their songs. Acapella.

Since they were used to singing at the drop of a dime they instantly started to sing a song where Nick had the lead. Brian was the only one that could hear what a strain it was for Nick to sing that high of a tone and in the whole the kid pulled it off pretty good. At least for someone that looked ready to make a call to the porcelain phone.

"Stuff like that," AJ added when they were done with the song. Brian noticed that Nick fell into the rebels lap giggling like he was embarrassed and for a second he felt relieved. That was something that wasnīt out of the ordinary. Not saying anything however was. AJ patted him on the head like he was making sure that Nick was alright.

Brian smiled. AJ and Nick could be such enemies but they could also be such good friends. Like brothers.

"Weīve started doing local stuff you know before we started writing our own material. You know like with the producers in Orlando." Kevin explained. "You know weīre ready to get our record deal.

"Aha." Sonia nodded, she was completely into the interview which couldnīt be said the same for Nick. Once again Brian noticed that the teen was spacing out again and he desperately wished that there wouldnīt be any questions asked to him since the kid had a habit of making a fool of himself. And then wound up being embarrassed

Kevin was the one that seemed a bit annoyed at Nick and when the teen hadnīt answered a question about what he felt about touring Brian noticed how his cousin hit him on his leg, snarling, "Pay attention."

This didnīt go unheard from Johnny who yelled from his side. "Cut. You canīt use that."

A bit surprised over the sudden break they all looked at the black manager who apologized, "Sorry I thought that something was in the way..you know of the picture."

Brian knew better. It was a lie. A cover up so the fans wouldnīt see how short tempered their calm and reasonable Kevin Richardson could be. Therefore Mr. Wright had butt into the situation. Saving it all. Smart move, Brian had to give him that, even if he wasnīt too fond of Mr. Wright and his tactics.

Sonia seemed a bit annoyed. "Can I continue?"

Jaques nodded and she was out with the next question. "Youīre doing this alone. Did you think you wouldl be able to do it with same result if it was each and everyone of you?"

Howie, who like Brian, seemed to be on the edge of answering questions picked this one. "No," he shook his head, "No it wouldnīt be the spark and energy and all that. Itīs like..weīre all very talented individuals but it wouldnīt be the same, because when we come together as a group it comes to that you know.." He was cut off by AJ who continued.

"Itīs the choreography too. When youīre on yourself you got no one to respond to and you have to build up all your energy by yourself onstage." He gestured with his hands how they would circulate. "When youīre together you have a more important role and can build up the energy together and.."

Brian wasnīt listening anymore instead he was concentrating on Nick who was rubbing his temples furiously, swallowing hard. "How does your private life effect you as a popstar?"

"We try to live a normal, you know, every day life. But weīre not with our family as much as we used to be. But you know we kind of put our goal into it and relationships has to come aside but right now our schedules are so hectic. We really don't have time to settle down..you know start a relationship with anybody."

Brian smiled. Howie was really on a roll today. He however was starting to get tired since the jetlag had kicked in and now he was happy that he had chosen the bed, even though a quick glance at Nick told him that his younger friend would need it more.

"We all knew about this when we came into it," Howie continued and Brian could do nothing but nod. That part was true. But what they didnīt know was how hard the business would be. How many sleepless nights and tight schedules that were on the verge of sending them all over the edge.

"We all knew about what sacrifices we had to make.." Howie said just to be interrupted by Kevin in the back.

"But weīre not whining. We love what weīre doin'"

Brian grinned inwardly. If there was one thing his cousin hated it was when someone was whining. Especially if that one person happened to be named Nickolas Gene Carter. Today, however he hadnīt seen much of that which was strange since Nick had a habit of whining whenever things were going a bit rough. Maybe he was too tired to even do so.

"So there is another side of the coin too?" Sonia asked.

"Yes, Nick and I," AJ pointed at his friend who was sitting there, hands folds over his knees, not saying anything and not even looking at the rest of them. "had to sacrifice school. And Brian couldnīt really Finish high school, not quitting in a way but be away from it and instead we have to have tutors and.."

Brian felt it was best he was clearing out stuff since it sounded like none of them actually wanted to go to school. "I didnīt drop out or anything..itīs just that we had too much.. you know..the touring was taking up too much space."

They were talking a bit about how it felt watching their other friends go to school proms and sports games while they had to rehearse. Suddenly Kevin drew back his breath like he had something important to say. They all turned towards him.

"I think," the oldest member started, "that in this interview Nick has been really talking too much." He laughed afterwards a bit sarcastic and there was an Ohhhh sound going through the whole room.

Brian picked his nails. His cousin could be such a bastard and that was really uncalled for.

Howie was the only one that laughed, a bit embarrassed over the sudden outburst. AJ didnīt look too pleased and Sonia was caught off the act too.

"I think..I think," she stuttered, looking at Nick who sat there, taking in the rude words his brother just spilled to him. He had a smug smile on his lips but he didnīt comment or anything. This too was a bit off the picture with Nick cause he was usually the one to comment if he was being teased. At least giving a snide remark back or a slap on the offenders head. Sometimes he also pretended to walk out of the room which the reporters usually thought was soooo cute.

"Heīs a bit rude..eh?"

Kevin who most have realized that what he said was a bit too much did his best to lighten it up, "He needs to be sacrificed." No one laughed at this, instead there was a bit of a tense situation.

"No, I noticed..you know what I noticed." Sonia was trying to save the whole interview. "Iīve noticed that you are a good listener. Are you normally a good listener? Do you like to listen?"

Brian looked up at the teen that sat there, not moving like a statue, his arms still folded over his legs like he was cold or something. There were no feelings revealed what he thought about being spited like that all he showed was being tired. Tired and silent.

"I listen. Since these guys are older than me I like to listen to them and learn."

He was very soft-spoken and Brian could tell that he had a hard time figuring out what to say. There were red blotches on his cheeks that hadnīt been there before and Brian was more and more thinking that the kid could be running a temp. That would be so much like Nick to be caught with a bug or a germ in the most unwanted situations. Like when they were touring.

"Uhumm."

There was silence in the room as Nick uttered the words then they all started to laugh, especially Kevin. Nick had done it again. He had found the right words and by that saved a rather embarrassed situation for all parts. Brian had to give him that the kid could be pretty smart when he wanted to. Usually not by intention but still..

Kevin slapped his hand in truce. Nick smiled too at what heīd been saying even if it was a bit forced.

"Aww come on guys..give him a break." The older woman was coming to the teens defense and as the laughter died down she asked the next question. "What have you learned from one of the guys? What's important to yo`? What do you carry with you wherever you go?"

Brian shifted on his bed. This would be interesting to hear what Nick said about it. How he managed to get out of the situation.

"Name something specific, something that one of the guys taught you, a lesson in life thatīs just been given to you. A piece of advice."

Out of the corner of his eye Brian spotted AJ waving in front of Nick like he was making sure that the teen was listening but then he noticed that he was making a gesture to Johnny that was standing next to him. It was like he was given out a signal that something was either wrong or that he had the situation under control. Which it was Brian had no idea.

"They all just..they all just give good advice." The camera panned in on Nick, a close up, as he continued with a weak, faltering voice. "All the time..they..you know..tell me the right things and you know lead me in the right direction and.." Nick looked at AJ who was giving him support by nodding. "I think weīre all very close and I love these guys."

Not an eye was dry once Nick ended his speech.

As the camera panned away and Jaques turned it off, the guys were all laughing at Nick. What heīd said was true but at the same time it was a bit embarrassing to hear, especially since they were all teasing him. Brian, who was Nick's closest friend played out an act.

"Awww," he joked, pretending to wipe a tear out of his eyes, "that was the most beautiful thing that Iīve ever heard," he grinned behind the fake tears. "I am sooooo touched."

"Dick!" Nick yelled back when Brian very dramatically pretended to faint.

Sonia wasnīt laughing. "Come on guys. That was very nice said, wasnīt it?" Turning to Nick she continued, "Donīt pay attention to them. They just want to be able to express their feelings like you can do."

This had the guys laughing even more.

"I need a good ending," Jaques said after they had calmed down. "Can one of you guys do something funny?" Before he had a chance to ask again Sonia said, "Yes, Nick?"

The teen didnīt have to be asked twice and he jumped on the bed in an attempt to lie down while Brian attacked him, tickling him like crazy. Howie responded by rubbing a pillow over his friends head. Nick was giggling but at the same time begged them to stop.

Brian, who had forgotten all about how off Nick had been all day, had no such intention instead he tickled much harder.

"No stop it!" Nick yelled under the pillow that Howie was smothering him under.

"Not until you say mercy," Brian grinned, not showing any signs to stop.

"Stooop itttt!" Nick giggled, squirming like a worm on a hook.

"Say mercy!" So they went on and off for a while due to the fact that it was quickly becoming a game of willpower. Then when Brian thought that Nick would never say the codeword he heard a small mercy underneath the pillow.

Lifting it up he saw Nick's red face staring back at him and was instantly met with concern. "You alright?"

"No." Nick shook his head. "I have a bad headache"

"A headache?" Brian repeated, surprised over the sudden revelation. Laying his hand on the blonde's forehead he was met with the heat before he even touched the skin. What he felt had him all concerned. Nick was burning hot with fever. "Man!" Making a face he looked at his side only to be met with Kevin's eyes. The grimace that he gave said it all. The teen was sick.