- Text Size +
Chapter 12 – Self-Conscious Memories

Oriana groaned softly as she reaching into an icy cooler to retrieve a Pepsi. She had managed to slip away from the water fights within the pool, aching to simply catch her breath. Usually, she was eager to keep up with the activities, but Howie was continuing to plague her mind. She could hardly keep her eyes from constantly glancing around to locate him within the sea of people. Yet, as much as she concentrated on Howie’s handsome form, she couldn’t help but notice that Teagan and Brian had disappeared. She didn't know whether to be grateful for Brian's leaving or disappointed for Teagan's leaving. Stumped, Oriana popped the top of her soda to hear a loud clearing of a throat. Oriana turned to face an eager Alex. She offered a small smirk to see him bouncing on the heels of his feet, "Thirsty or need a bathroom?"

"Neither at the moment. I was just waiting until I had a chance to talk to you without a group of gigantic footballers hovering nearby," Alex replied, fixing the black leather cowboy hat perched on his head. "And I wanted to apologize for what my brother said. He's an asshole, just ignore him—"

"It's not your fault."

"Well, he's related to me, and I normally have to make amends with the people he insulted. You seem like an awesome girl; definitely sister material."

"Well, let's just say that you’re amend-free with me, because there's no way I can base you on what your brother acts like. You're two different people, so that's how I'll treat you," Oriana confided, motioning to the empty picnic table. Alex hesitated, so Oriana shrugged her shoulders and hopped upon the table to rest. "And as for seeming like an awesome girl, thank you. I'm assuming you have references to back up that statement, but I can't say I know much about you."

"Being best friends with some Tartan kids always helps when it comes to information," Alex replied as he finally sat across from her. "I'm guessing you don't have any friends over at William's?"

"Can't say I've ever really crossed that side of the road... I think if I went over there, millions of hate post-it notes would be plastered on my Hummer for whooping their asses in the game," Oriana laughed, her blue-green eyes sparking with amusement.

"Damn, that's your huge ass car out there?!"

"That's my Baby."

"It suits your personality," Alex agreed with a smile. "Since it's not too good for you to ever go to William's, what do you want to know about me?"

"What do I want to know about you... Anything you're willing to part with, I suppose. And information that just happens to pop up about your relationship with Howie... Then so be it," she mused with an impish glitter hinting in her eyes to compliment her mischievous smile.

"Ahhh... I see where you're going," he smirked, chuckling a little. "My full name is Alexander James Richardson, I was born on January 9th, I love to play the saxophone, I was in the marching band at William's. Most guys call me a flirt, but it's just that ladies love my charm—"

"Woah, wait! Why am I smelling a little bit of bullshit?" Oriana interrupted with a smirk.

"Hey, you can ask anyone. Howie, especially. I try to teach him to be more forward with girls he likes, but he needs some work on it."

"Don't tell me you're the one that gave him the idea that it was romantic to push a girl up against the wall to corner her into a kiss," Oriana scorned without much thought, immediately blushing at her outrageous comment.

"Ooooh! So he has gotten more forward with you! About damn time, he's liked you for I don't know how long!"

"Excuse me?" she drawled in surprise.

"You mean you didn't know? Dude, that guy has liked you since freshmen year."

"It's not like I've been around him a lot... You know?" Oriana trailed, biting down on her bottom lip with thought. "I mean, we've talked here and there. You know, parties, football games, with Teagan around. First time we actually talked was at a football game against William’s. Mud everywhere, ended up throwing him face first into the dirt. That's when we started talking more... Just friendly type blurbs, smiles in the hallway, normal stuff..."

"Doesn't take a hard-core friendship to see the true potential in a girlfriend..." Alex tried, still flabbergasted. "You really didn't know he liked you?"

"Not really until that kiss..."

"Man. Both of you are pretty shy in that section, I guess. Well, believe me when I say he likes you a lot. There's something about you that he's crazy for."

"Since when did he like me a lot?" she continued with interest, waving away two of her football members as they prepared to rush her.

"He was talking about some play y'all worked on together... umm... West Side Story? I can't really remember what happened, but something made him fall for you hard."

"That was freshman year," she remembered with a spark of recognition. She couldn't remember having initial interactions with Howie during those weeks, but she definitely remembered West Side Story. She had choreographed most of the dance sequences and did background work. Oriana was still shy when it came to performing within the school. Her years of dancing and beautiful voice remained behind a cloak of secrecy. Besides, Teagan had a wonderful stage presence and had starred in West Side Story with Howie, she remembered that much.

"He said that during then. He would catch you singing during rehearsal while painting backgrounds and stuff. Everything about you, he liked and fell harder and harder for you."

"That's bullshit..."

"Why is it bullshit?"

"Because he couldn't have liked me since freshman year..." she drawled, gulping the last of her soda. She remembered sophomore year was when the words were flying crazily amongst Tartan about Howie keeping a girlfriend at Williams. Everyone around the school had known Howie meant to keep it secret, but not for what reason. Oriana still remembered Teagan agonizing over the fact, deciding that he would be better off with a Tartan girl any day.

"Just because he had that girlfriend doesn't mean a damn thing, Oriana. He was with that slut at my school because he didn't think he would ever have a chance with you," Alex blurted before he stop the words.

"Somehow... I don't think I could have possibly even mentioned that fact... Does that come up a lot with you and Howie or what?" Oriana trailed in surprise, sitting back.

"Shit, I have a big mouth. Look, I'm sorry. I just want my best friend to be happy and I know he'll be happy with you," Alex sighed, taking off his hat to run a hand through his spikes.

"Did he tell you not to tell?"

"He wanted to be the one to tell you, when the subject came up about past stuff... look, don't let him know I told and don't judge him based on that. Please."

"Would you be in deep shit?" she countered curiously.

"Considerably deep."

"Guess we'll just consider that a sister-brother blackmail for future obligations when I need your help," Oriana decided with a wry smile, obviously agreeing that she wouldn't say anything to Howie. Though, she was a little perplexed with the whole ordeal, wondering why Howie would choose to keep that hidden. What had happened between him and that girl

"So for now, you won't tell him?" Alex questioned.

"I can't say it won't get brought up when we talk tonight... But I can keep the identifying markers away from you. Besides, Teagan was the first to alert me to that little factor back in sophomore year. Not you."

"Yeah, that's true. Will you promise me you won't judge him based on the mistakes he made by having the girl from William's as a girlfriend?"

"Why would I judge him for a past girlfriend? I mean... What happened between them that everyone's making such a big deal about?"

"He'll tell you what happened between them. That part I definitely think it's not my business to tell."

"I just think it's a little scary when you keep insisting for me not to judge him based on that girlfriend. Like something horrendous happened between them that is going to alter my thoughts toward him. If anything, it was a passed girlfriend and there's nothing I can do to change that. I haven't even really consented to dating him anyway, that's what we're talking about tonight... And, frankly, the only thing that could possibly hinder anything would be when you say he liked me since freshman year but decided to take up what I'm assuming is a serious relationship in sophomore year... Can't you understand that much?" Oriana tried to explained, feeling knots form in the pit of her stomach as she noticed Howie speaking with some girls from the corner of her eye.

"Yeah, I understand that. But it's not--"

"A big deal?" she finished, arching her light brows.

"Yeah, I guess. Listen... I'll level with you. Howie was serious with this chick because he didn't think he could ever have you, so he just settled with her. Once she knew this, she made sure he caught her fucking another guy in her room. It made him the laughingstock of William's just up until junior year. Howie doesn't like to talk about what happened; it embarrasses him." Alex explained in one breath.
Oriana fell silent for several moments, hearing Luke crank MatchBox 20's 'Disease' in the CD player, obviously wanting to draw her attention back to dancing. Luke and Oriana had just finished a beautiful concert at their dance studio just a few weeks ago and he obviously wanted to show off. Yet, Oriana could only seem to focus on Alex's words. A flush of pity swept over her for Howie, realizing how traumatizing that must have been. Yet, she couldn't stop herself from asking, "How serious is serious?"

"The night he caught her in bed, he had come over to give her a ring. Like I had said, he thought that this was going to be it, you know? She got out of bed, took the box and opened it. Oriana, she laughed and threw the box at his face, hitting him in the eye."

"Oh..." she whispered, paling dramatically.

"That's why I don't want you to judge Howie. He made a mistake and he certainly paid for it. He likes you, and only you, and just wants you to give him a chance," Alex replied, setting a box on the table. "Do you understand a little more now?"

"I'm not going to judge him..." she promised.

"Thank you. I really appreciate it," he reached over and patted her hand. "Everyone has a past. It's just that some of them are more painful."

"I could write an entire book on a painful past," she murmured without thought, her shoulders sagging forward.

"Huh?"

"Nothing," she quickly countered, rubbing her hands against her cheeks to snap herself out of the daze. She could hear MatchBox 20 starting to throb louder from the huge stereo system. It would be a few minutes before Luke would completely yank her away. "But, guess I can say now that you're going to be pretty good brother material yourself."

"Really? You think so?"

"Of course I think so. I'm not in a habit of telling lies to soon-to-be family members," Oriana teased, reaching out to offer his hand an affectionate squeeze. Her eyes quickly traveled down to the package sitting between them. Her blonde eyes arched with impishness again. "And you'll be even better brother material if that gift's for me..."

"How'd you guess?" he laughed, feeling relieved about their previous conversation. He believed that Howie would make his first final attempt at happiness and actually succeed. Everything had been centered on Oriana and now Howie finally had that chance.

"Well, my name bold markered on the package would be a huge indication."

"Wow, you Tartan girls are smart!" he teased, pushing the gift towards her. "Happy Birthday, Ry."

"Yeah, just wait till you see my wall of accomplishments. Makes even Einstein look like a jackass," she teased with a haughty tone, accepting the gift. "But thank you, you didn't have to."

"You're very welcome. I just hope that I picked the right gift."

"As long as it's not pink and frilly, we'll be set," she answered, carefully tearing into the package. Her eyes immediately danced as she freed the latest copy of the Resident Evil game for Playstation 2. "Are you freaking serious?!"

"I'm guessing that's a good thing," he laughed at her excitement. "I've heard you love video games, the gorier, the better."

"You don't understand! I have an obsession for Resident Evil. We're talking all the video games, the movie... Just everything!" she breathed, leaning over the table to affectionately hug the older boy. "Thank you so much!"

"You're welcome! As long as I get some lessons from you on how to play it," he smiled, kissing her cheek.

"I think Momma said something about you guys staying the night to pick out your new rooms, right?" she countered, noticing Luke come streaking over from the group around the stereo.,

"Yeah, that's what I've heard--"

"Cherry-Bomb! C'mon, I've been playing this for a reason. And you know why, you little imp! You just sit there trying to drive me nuts! Well it worked, so get'cher ass over there!" Luke bellowed with a threatening tone, reaching the picnic table.

Oriana offered a simple smile, obviously not shaken by his anger. She stood up just as Luke grasped her waist to seize her into his arms. "Take the room right across from mine and then we'll totally play tonight, okay?"

"Alright, sounds good. See you later, Ry! Don't get into too much trouble!" Alex called.

"Okay! Bye, Alex!" Oriana called eagerly as Luke carried her away, immediately whispering harshly into her ear. Oriana beamed another smile, kissing his cheek as he pushed her away from his arms. "I know what you want! Jezz!" she called, immediately doing several back flips before stepping into a salsa motion used for their dance. She beckoned him closer, causing the football players to whoop.

"It's about damn time I got what I want!" Luke replied with a grin, swaying his hips in the same motion and danced towards her.

"All you do is piss and moan!" she countered as he grasped her hips, immediately pulling her body to his to continue their dance.

"Now I know why you like her so much," Alex murmured, feeling Howie's presence behind him. His eyes were still fixed on his soon-to-be little sister, deciding she had a great gift for dance.

"Oh?" Howie asked, wondering what had come about within the conversation.

"Yeah, she's something else."

"What did you two talk about?"

"Nothing..."

"What do you mean 'nothing'?"

"Nothing, just a little about me. Figured that we'd be pretty good siblings. We're hooking up with the Resident Evil game I bought her for her birthday. Then she asked about you..." Alex drawled, deciding to give Howie an ego boost.

"Me? She asked about me?" Howie asked, feeling his chest puff out a little with pride.

"Yeah, she asked about you. Told me to just tell me about myself and if I so happened to mention my relationship with you and whatnot, then so be it."

"And what did you tell her about me?"

"That you're a fine piece of ass?" Alex snickered, keeping an eye on his sister dance provocatively with the football player.

"I'm a fine piece of what?!" Howie exclaimed, feeling the blood rush to his cheeks with embarrassment.

"You're a fine piece of ass and she can't wait to jump on it?" Alex repeated, his eyes quickly flicking back to his best friend.

"She really said that?"

"No, but you wish, huh?"

"Dude, you suck!" Howie groaned, throwing the hackey-sack he was playing with at Alex's head.

"Hey!" Alex squeaked, immediately holding his throbbing neck from the striking of the hackey-sack. He glared up at his friend with a deep-set frown. "Man, you do need to get laid!"

"Oh, it was a hackey-sack, not a rock. You're such a whiner," Howie groaned with a roll of his eyes. "And it's none of your business to state if I need to get laid or not."

"It may be none of my business, but as a friend, I would just like to interject my opinion on the subject... And, my opinion, get laid!"

"Will you please stop saying that? Getting laid sounds so cheap and meaningless. You may be for it, but I'm not."

"Oh, I forgot... Wanting to be in love... Making love with the one you love..." Alex drawled with a grimace, patting Howie's shoulder. "Sorry, I'll respect your views."

"Thanks for remembering," Howie grumbled, watching Oriana dance with Luke. She seemed to be in her own world, moving along with the music like an angel.

"How can you watch her do that with that dude?" Alex asked frankly.

"He's her teammate, what's the big deal?" Howie replied with a shrug of his shoulder.

"Her team-mate? She does that with her team-mates?" Alex scoffed with protectiveness.

"Well, I think she dances with him, too... Teagan, her best friend, mentioned that she takes like all these dances with a local company... I think her team-mate goes there a lot, too. It's not... What's so wrong with it?"

"Because if you strip off their clothes, we have a hard core porno that could be served in the best of the triple X theatres," Alex mused with a grimace, noticing Oriana dip with a salsa like roll of her hips beyond the boy's body. His jumped up from his seat, wondering if it would be too forward to jump in and yank his soon-to-be sister away from the beefy brawn.

"Sit your ass down, Alex. It's just dancing, and nothing more," Howie pulled Alex back down to his seat by the back of his shirt.

"And you're okay with it?"

"I've known the whole football team just as long as Oriana. I'm okay with it."

"Okay..." AJ breathed, immediately turning away from the sight. It was almost like watching Oriana become a piece of meat within the team. It disgusted him to no extent, though he didn't seem to realize the truth behind it. He focused his eyes on Howie. "So, are you excited about tonight?"

"Tonight?"

"Spending the night here with Oriana?"

"She told you about it?"

"She said that you two were going to talk tonight, because you guys really didn't decide what happened from that kiss against the wall..."

"Wow, you guys really did talk about me."

"Told you," Alex laughed. "So, are you excited?"

"I am, because now I'll really be able to get to know Oriana the way I've always wanted," Howie replied, his heart quickening at the thought of spending the night with the girl he had liked for so long.

"Then you better hope she can tear herself away from Resident Evil long enough to get that talk in," Alex joked.

"You got her Resident Evil for PS2? Man, I'll never be able to talk to her!" Howie groaned with a laugh. "Teagan told me how much she loves video games."

"Whoops?"

"Yeah, whoops. You really do suck."

"Told you I'd be the thorn to your plans!"

"And I shall extract my revenge at the perfect time! There will be no stopping me!"

"Um... Did we just flip back to like the fifteenth century?"

"Maybe. Dost thou seem a little lost from the words that fall from thine lips?" Howie replied with a smirk.

"I think I need to find a beer..." Alex groaned, scurrying away from Howie's mind-numbing antics.