- Text Size +
Chapter 19 – Swallowing a Bitter Pill

"Teags, why are we here?" Brian groaned with protest as Teagan eased her car up to the Dorough household. Brian would have been driving and quickly swerved away from the driveway, but his car was being prepared from Xander's violent attack. It was late Sunday afternoon and Teagan had insisted they go for a drive. Brian felt his blood boil when he looked upon the loving Dorough home. He wasn't ready to swallow his words just for the benefit of Teagan's fury. He knew Howie had planned this all along. Just another attempt to infuriate Brian further, but there would be Hell to pay. Brian was certain of that. "Damnit, Teags, we can do this another day. You should be resting your neck and calming down. Last night was scary as Hell."

"I'm plenty calm, Brian. You're the one swearing up a storm when you know this is the right thing to do. Howie's one of your best friends and you need to make amends. Let him know that he can date Oriana, because I know you said something to make him think otherwise and don't argue with me. It's for the best," Teagan replied, placing her car in park. "Come on."

"I swear to God I didn't say a thing to Howie!" Brian groaned, slumping down into his seat. He was refusing to get out of his seat as Teagan opened her car door.

"It's the only explanation, and you're the only one who doesn't like Oriana. So it would make perfect sense you told Howie to not date her. I'm not going to tell you again to get out of the car."

"Who are you, my mother?" he snorted with a whine.

"You're acting like a little kid, so yeah. I guess I am your mother," she snipped back, getting out of the car. She walked over to his side and opened the door. "Come on."

Brian stumbled slightly as the door he was leaning on was pulled open. He muttered something low beneath his breath, finally climbing out of the car. He brushed off his baggy jeans before shoving his hands deep into the front pockets of his pants. He fixed his scowl with a pout, "Don't be mad at me, Teags."

"I'm not mad," Teagan sighed heavily, kissing his cheek. "You just frustrate me at times."

"I love you?" he continued to pout as she tugged on the sleeveless t-shirt he was wearing, pulling him to the front door.

"I love you, too. But that pout isn't going to make me change my mind."

"Damn," Brian whined with a loud squeal. His legs felt like heavy weights as they climbed the steps to the front door. His heart burned with a jealous anger, deciding that Oriana would face his wrath when he returned home. He slammed his hand against the large wooden door, hearing the faint twanging of an acoustic guitar. Brian knew it was Howie playing the guitar and he would be in a deep state of concentration. Too deep to answer a door. Brian beamed a smile, "Oh well!"

"Brian Thomas," Teagan groaned with a roll of her eyes. She rang the doorbell a couple of times and the guitar playing stopped.

"Damnit," he muttered.

There was a faint sound of footsteps lazily moving toward the door. Brian's body immediately drew upward in a stiff manner as the clicking of locks could be heard. Finally, the door was yanked open and Howie appeared in a pair of sweatpants and a baggy gray t-shirt. Teagan's eyes widened; he looked quite dishelved compared to the perfection he presented in school every day.

"What are you two doing here?" Howie greeted with surprise, leaning on the doorway.

"Can we come in?" Brian yelped as Teagan pinched him hard.

"Yeah, sure," Howie led them inside the large house. Teagan thought it looked beautiful and she felt welcome right away. "You want anything to drink?"

"Has O--" Brian yelped in pain again as Teagan pinched the flesh of his back arm harder. He jumped slightly, narrowing his eyes at his girlfriend for a moment. "A soda would be great. What about you, Babe?"

"Just some water. Thanks, Howie," she replied with a smile as Howie went to the kitchen.

"Teag, this is so retarded, if he wanted to date Oriana, nothing would stop him!" Brian breathed in attempts to stop this fiasco before it would begin.

"Will you just stop complaining and let him know you won't get in the way of them dating? For my sake, please!" Teagan slightly begged, her blue-gray eyes locking with his own.

"Why do you care?"

"Because Oriana's my best friend, Howie's my good friend and I want them to be happy?"

"Is she giving you shit?" Brian accused, listening to Howie shuffle through glasses and then the fridge. He narrowed his eyes at his girlfriend for a moment, searching through her soul. If Oriana had been giving Teagan trouble, the wrath would sharply increase.

"No! She would never give me shit. What is wrong with you? Why are you so hostile towards her?" Teagan asked with a raised eyebrow.

"I'm not!"

"Bullshit!"

"Tea--"

"Hey, got your drinks..." Howie trailed, interrupting the heated discussion. He arched his dark brows in confusion as he saw the smoldering reactions covering the couple's faces. He did his best not to smile, realizing Teagan was giving Brian the well-deserved torment. Howie shifted carefully in attempts not to infuriate his back, handing over the glasses. "So, you want to sit?"

"Sure!" Teagan invited, pushing Brian toward the couches. "I heard a guitar... Were you playing?"

"Yeah, I was just playing around with this song I've been writing for awhile," Howie replied, carefully sitting down where he had been writing.

"You write songs?" Teagan perked with interest, leaning in hopes to catch glance at the lyrics.

"Here and there, ever since my brother John taught me how to play."

"That's really sweet, what are you writing now?"

"It's nothing big, just popped into my head and I'm still working out the kinks."

“What's it about?" Teagan persisted, waiting for Brian to take control.

"It's about this guy telling the girl that he loves no matter what she does, she'll always be beautiful. He loves everything about her and would never want to change her," Howie explained.

"For Christina?" Brian blurted without thought.

Howie looked at Brian with a disgusted look on his face. "What the Hell kind of question is that?"

"Brian!" Teagan scolded, smacking him upside the head.

"What?" Brian howled with pain, immediately reaching to rub the sore spot on the backside of his head. He hissed with the sharp pain, bending forward for just a moment. "It was just a question! I thought maybe he still had feelings for her or something!"

“Why would I have feelings for a girl who was fucking my neighbor when I came to see her?" Howie asked with a raised eyebrow. He felt his blood boil at Brian's stupid words.

"Then who the Hell else would you be writing about?"

"Does it matter who I'm writing about?"

"Maybe?"

"Maybe not."

"Why are you so defensive about it?"

"Because it's my business and I can determine who I want to share it with," Howie crossed his arms, trying not to wince from the pain in his back. "Is there a reason y'all are here? I mean, I love having you over, Teagan. But I don't need Brian badgering me."

"No, no, no!" Teagan immediately blurted, glaring at Brian yet again. She didn't know what possessed Brian to form such an evil streak inside his usually golden heart. It hurt her to see him so bitter and self-seeking. "Brian wanted to tell you something... We were just really interested in your song and I guess I was hoping it was about someone that I've known for a really long time..."

"You mean Oriana?"

"Yeah..."

"Well..." Howie glanced downward, blushing faintly.

"Damnit, this is so boring," Brian breathed quietly, scooting forward on the couch. He clasped his hands in front of his lap, offering a burning gaze toward Howie. He was giving Howie a sharp note to keep their exchanged words from Oriana's birthday private. "Look, do you have any feelings for Oriana?"

"Yes, of course I do. Why else would I write a song about her?" Howie replied, looking right back at Brian.

"I really don't know, but did I say anything that gave you the wrong impression about dating Oriana?" Brian continued with a voice void of any emotion. He swallowed hard against the bile forming at the back of his throat, hating even suggesting this heinous act. "Did I say anything that made you turn Oriana down on her birthday?"

"It was the way you were acting about it all--"

"How was he acting?" Teagan questioned, obviously needing to interrupt. She found it pertinent to her bickering with Brian.

"Honestly, like a jerk. He would just give me these looks and glare at Oriana the whole time."

Teagan immediately glared toward Brian with a look of disgust, causing Brian to shrink back with anger. He crossed his arms tightly against his chest, swallowing his pride. He hated the smug glint crossing in Howie's dark eyes. "I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression," he breathed softly.

"Say what? I couldn't hear you," Howie replied, looking innocent as he leaned forward.

"I said I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression," Brian countered, looking quite sweet as he bowed his head in mock-shame. If Howie could play the game, then so could Brian. "I feel like such a block-head. Even if I have a petty disagreement with Oriana, I should be open to your feelings. You're my best friend, dude. I gotta have your back, even if I'm fighting with the girl you like, right?"

"Right. I appreciate you respecting me like this, man. It would be silly to throw away our friendship just because we disagree," Howie replied, reaching over to offer his hand. "Friends?"

"Friends," Brian bit back his venomous words and he shook Howie's hand.

"Does that mean you'll take everything you said to Oriana back? She's been so miserable without you..." Teagan blurted excitedly, wrapping her arms around Brian's neck. She kissed his cheek affectionately, realizing it was hard for him to come to terms with his misbehavior.

"I definitely will, but do you think she'll accept my apology?" Howie asked, feeling his body sing with victory. He knew it was a temporary fix, but it at least meant he could be with Oriana.

"Oh my gosh! Of course she will!" Teagan squealed excitedly, bouncing from her spot. Her heart soared at Howie's words, knowing her best friend could finally have a boyfriend. It had been so long since Oriana knew the comforts of a man genuinely interested in her. She needed that kind of love. "She'll be upset at first, but Howie, she loves you so much. I can see it in her eyes!"

"Really? She does?" Howie replied, blushing as a smile crept onto his face.

"Yes," Teagan enthused further, hugging tighter to Brian, who seemed soberly silent. "She won't rush saying the words, because she's shy... But, Howie, all you have to do is look into her eyes. They turn this light green with a mixture of different blues... They glow like the ocean whenever I mention your name. Trust me, she's crazy about you... She loves you."

"You're nuts," Howie laughed.

"No, I'm not! I promise!" Teagan laughed as well, gently pushing on Howie's shoulder. "So, when will you talk with her?"

"Where is she today?"

"She's in dance class right now, then she heads to football practice."

"So, she's really busy today," Howie lamented with a soft sigh, not really knowing if he should bother her. She had been so upset last night about Teagan, so he assumed she would bury herself into loads of work. Having dance practice and football practice gave her an excuse to disappear into a different world. Howie wasn't sure if he should disturb that.

"Not too busy to see you!" Teagan objected. "You should go and see her dance, Howie. It's like an angel, I swear."

"She wouldn't be upset?" Howie trailed, still not sure.

"No way!"

"I don't know..."

"Howie!" Teagan groaned softly, grasping a piece of paper from the coffee table and a pen Howie had been using. She hurriedly scribbled the address of the dance studio upon the paper, thrusting it toward Howie. "Please, go see her. Monday is too long a wait to talk to her! You'll love seeing her dance. She's so amazing. I think today is modern or ballet... Either or... She's just gorgeous. Please?"

"But what if she--"

"Dorky Dwaine, come on! Please? You won't regret it, I promise."

"And if I do regret it and Oriana won't accept my apologies?"

"It won't happen."

"So, you want me to leave right now and go violate her means of escape?"

"Yes!"

"Teag---"

"Howie, please?"

"Why do you care so much?" he laughed softly.

"Because I want you two happy, and that means you're together."

"Thanks, Teag," Howie stated after a few moments, pushing himself off the couch. He made note not to wince at the pain in his back as he leaned over to affectionately kiss her cheek. He then glanced down at his shabby appearance. "Think she'd mind?"

"Change into jeans and you'll be good," Teagan approved, running her hands through Howie's hair until it looked right. "But hurry up, because her class is almost done."

*~*~*


Oriana felt a faint film of perspiration break out against her skin as the music from her modern dance class throbbed against her heart. All the frustrations were leaking through her body as she perfected each move. She had been practicing non-stop with the other dancers and they had one more routine with 'Just Dance' by Jamiroquai to perfect before leaving. Oriana kept herself glued in the middle like Maggie, their instructor, had indicated. All the girls kept one eye upon the mirrors lining the wall and another upon Oriana to base their movements. She was the most experienced performer and by far the best, though she never acted upon it.

An impish smile spread across her face as Maggie shouted several praises to her. The last of the song was fixing to play and the hardest part of the routine ensued. Most girls backed out and formed a circle just to watch Oriana. She looked absolutely gorgeous as she sharply moved into each dance step, gyrating her hips with each step to add more flavor. Everyone found it beautiful that Oriana's skills with her fluid movements added a grace to their performances while her extra unique textures to the movements provided a style. Though, Oriana never concentrated on that. She just let her body move to the music, though she had an odd feeling an extra person was watching.

"Wow... Teagan wasn't kidding, she dances beautifully!" Howie whispered to himself as he stood in the doorway of the studio. Oriana's fluid movements along with the music were something he had never seen before.

He stood in awe as she moved with a sensual flavor, gyrating her hips with a sweet, sultry smile fixed upon her lips. Howie felt his body burn with anticipation as she dipped with the swiveling of her hips to the end of the song before striking the pose Maggie desired. The music quickly shut off and was replaced by squeals and shrieks of approval from Oriana's beautiful dancing. Howie chuckled as the teacher even whistled loudly. Oriana blushed furiously as she wiped back her sweaty blonde curls, trying to act as if it were nothing.

"GREAT JOB, GIRLS! FANTASTIC! YOU'RE COMING ALONG BEAUTIFULLY! JODIE, MAKE SURE TO SEE ORIANA SOMETIME TO WORK ON THAT ENDING! SUSIE, PERFECT FLIP! ORIANA! BEAUTIFUL, DARLING! SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL! I'LL SEE YOU GIRLS NEXT SUNDAY!"

"And you'll see me Monday for Pointe, Tuesday for belly dancing, Wednesday for jazz, Thursday for more ballet and modern, Friday for... Damn, I take too many classes," Oriana breathed with a teasing smile, affectionately receiving more compliments and a hug from Maggie.

"We love having you here, Oriana. You're one of the most talented girls I've seen in my day," Maggie chided with a smile, blowing a piece of chocolate brown hair out of her face.

"You only keep me because I pay some mad-ass tuition to take all my dancing classes," Oriana teased, getting smack gently with Maggie's towel.

"Yeah, you can just hush up and get out of my studio before I ban you from dancing."

"You wouldn't dare."

"Darn... you're right, I wouldn't," Maggie laughed as she turned her attention to another dancer with a question.

Oriana continued to laugh with amusement as she jogged over to her large dancing bag. She searched quickly for a towel to wipe off the sweat, eagerly retrieving her favorite dancing towel. She began to pad the perspiration away from her bare skin before tossing the towel against her neck. She then moved to look for another towel, but one was offered to her. "Thanks!" she eagerly responded, standing up, but froze halfway with shock.

"You're welcome," Howie replied, smiling.

"What are you doing here?" she deadpanned, immediately holding the offered towel to her sweaty body. She felt almost naked standing in front of Howie in her dance uniform. It was decent, consisting of a light lavender sports bra and a pair of tight dancing Capri pants fixed at her hips. Yet, she couldn't help but feel self-conscious after the life she led with her mother's boyfriends. She didn't want to give him the wrong idea or allow him to hate her body.

"For one, I wanted to see you. Two, I had a visit from Teagan and Brian today. Our plan worked!" Howie replied, his eyes twinkling with excitement.

"Did it?" she asked, wide-eyed.

"Yep! Teagan made Brian apologize and now he won't be in our way."

"He must have looked like he was swallowing venom," she answered with a wry smile, keeping the towel fixed against her body. She bent down to her bag, searching for a t-shirt to wear.

"Just about, it was something I won't forget. Now we don't have to hide or anything," he enthused, wrapping his arms around her once she pulled on a Duke t-shirt.

"You're that excited, huh?" Oriana squealed in surprise, noticing the other dancers stopping their business to gaze at her with curiosity. No one knew that Oriana was looking to become attached to a boyfriend. As far as the girls knew, Oriana was considered just another boy not an item of sexual interest.

"You know it," Howie growled with a smile, running a hand over her curls. He knew the other girls were watching, but he didn't care. "You're an amazing dancer, Babe."

"Nah," she whispered with a blush, hearing the other girls release giggles of amusement. She gently wiggled away from Howie's grasp, tugging on her t-shirt. "I'm all sweaty..."

"Yeah, and?" he chuckled.

"You look so good..." she fumbled to explain, reaching down to grasp her duffle bag. She glanced back up to the clock, knowing she still had a bit of time before football practice. It was informal anyway. The guys just gathered in their uniforms to goof around. "I just don't want you to ruin your outfit with my sweat, you know?"

"You mean my gray t-shirt and jeans?" he asked with a crooked smile as she blushed again. "I'm just teasing--"

"It's okay..." she flustered, heaving the duffle bag further onto her shoulder. She continued to blush furiously as she tucked some damp curls behind her ears. Howie had a way of making her so utterly nervous. Her heart pounded heavily against her ribcage as her body burned just from his gentle touches.

"You're going to football next, right?" he asked, admiring his girlfriend's natural beauty and grace.

"Yeah, we just have this little game. We go over new plays and try everything out. Then we end up playing a little scrimmage. Just a whole bunch of goofy chaos," she answered, waving at the girls before disappearing quickly out the door in hopes to escape.

"Oriana! Oriana, wait a minute!" Maggie called, rushing out to catch up with the couple. "Where do you think you're going? You haven't introduced me to this handsome boy."

Oriana groaned inwardly, turning to see her instructor approach her with amused smile. Her cheeks grew redder than before as she stared at her scuffed dancing shoes. "Sorry, Mags... This is Howie Dorough... Howie, this is Maggie, my dance instructor."

"Nice to meet you, Howie," the older woman replied, shaking Howie's hand.

"Likewise, Maggie," he answered with a smile.

"I have to ask. Have you ever taken dance classes before?"

"No..." he trailed in confusion. "Why?"

"No reason. You just have the body of a dancer and I was curious."

"Ain't that the truth," Oriana breathed without thought, glancing up and down Howie's body. She loved the soft contours of his sleek and muscular form. His clothing always seemed to hug his muscles in the most alluring ways. It drove Oriana crazy at points.

"What was that, Riana?" Howie asked, feeling his own cheeks blush at the comments from Maggie and Oriana. He took pride in working out and keeping his body in shape. Weightlifting and freelance dancing, mostly.

"Just saying that you definitely have the body of a dancer. You should join us if you ever feel like it. Luke's in modern dance with me. It'd be nice to see you in a pair of dance pants..." Oriana answered, not really paying attention to her last sentence as she wished Maggie goodbye.

"What kind of dance pants?" Howie questioned, waving goodbye to Maggie as well.

"Like the tight pants the guys in ballet wear," she answered freely, trying to busy herself as she hurried to her Hummer.

"Oh, really? Hmm... maybe I should think about joining..." Howie contemplated, catching up with her.

"You don't have to... Mags just loves pairing girls up with guys during her numbers," Oriana continued, fumbling to open the trunk of her car. "I think she fell in love when Luke joined. We're always paired together... We even did this Moulin Rouge number---"

"Whoa, Moulin Rouge? The famous one I kept hearing the football players talk about?" Howie interrupted.

"They talk about it?" she groaned, finally managing to free the trunk. She hurriedly pushed it open, searching to grasp her football duffle bag.

"Well, that movie was hot, who wouldn't?" he chuckled.

"Wait, they talk about the movie, not our dance?" Oriana trailed for just a moment, hurriedly pulling out her jersey. Frankly, the Moulin Rouge dance was the raciest dance Maggie had created, but Oriana had loved every moment of it.

"Both."

"And what did you hear?"

"That it was really sexy and racy and hot."

Oriana blushed furiously, pulling off her Duke t-shirt in hopes to hide her face. She fixed her curls into a swift ponytail while glancing at Howie's delectable form. The outline of his muscles beneath the crisp clothing drove her crazy. She could hardly contain her burning desires as she reached to grasp her jersey, yet she stopped halfway. She was tired of being so edgy around him. She just needed to do what she wanted and call it even.

"Forgive me," she whispered faintly before forcefully pushing Howie against the trunk of her Hummer, seating him just above the bumper. She then heatedly pressed her sweet lips against his, pouring her emotions forth.

Howie eagerly gave into the kiss, pulling her body close to his as they continued. His heart thumped loudly in his chest and stars swam in front of his eyes, but he refused to stop. This is what love is. Feeling all lightheaded from a kiss, he thought to himself.

Oriana grinned faintly as she felt Howie's hands slip down to her bare hips. With a raw animal aggression, Howie pulled her by the hips in between his legs to deepen the kiss. She affectionately ran her fingers through his soft curls as her jersey fell to the ground, exposing her beautiful body within the exposed dancing outfit.

Yet, she could only concentrate on the sweetness of Howie's formed lips. She loved the way her lips pressed just right against his and her hands fit perfectly within his soft curls before running down to rest upon his neck. She continued to crane her neck to accommodate Howie's seated position, offering her favorite nibbles to his bottom lip.
Howie brought a hand to the small of Oriana's bare back, preparing to pull her in closer if at all possible. The occasional meeting of their tongues with her affectionate nips to his bottom lip caused a blazing heat to set about his entire body. Yet, he finally felt the passion dying as Oriana's hands loosened from his curls. He felt lost when her hands slid down his neck and withdrew. And he almost jumped from his seat to continue the kiss when Oriana finally pulled away with a shy smile.

"Glad to get that out of my system," Oriana breathed, lightly scratching her bare stomach to hind her shaking hands.

"Wow. That was... wow," those seemed to be the only words that could come out of Howie as he panted slightly.

"You okay?" she drawled with a small giggle, preparing to bend down to grasp her jersey, yet Howie beat her to it.

"Definitely more than okay," he replied with a wink, handing her the jersey.

"And here I thought you were going to keep my jersey just to admire my rock-hard abs," she joked, doing her best to puff out her thin stomach into a pouch, though she only succeeded in puffing out her cheeks.

"Hmm... in that case..." he trailed off, yanking the fabric out of her hands.

"Hey!" she yelped in surprise, releasing the air from her cheeks. "What the Hell was that for?!"

"You weren't paying attention, and you hide your beautiful body too much," he replied with a smile.

"It's not beautiful, I look like a bloated whale," she scorned, trying to reach for the jersey. She yelped again with frustration as Howie leaned into the truck, keeping his hands far out of reach behind his back.

"You do not," he scorned. "Stop putting yourself down or you won't get the jersey back in time for practice.”

"And what would you have me do? Walk onto the field in my sports bra and pants?" she asked incredulously, trying to extend her arm to reach behind him. She pressed her chest against his with futile efforts.

"Just stop insulting yourself and you'll get back the jersey," he sang.

"You would be so jealous if I walked onto that field in just my sport's bra," she sang back, still struggling to reach the jersey.

"That's not the point right now."

"It's definitely my point of the moment, so give me my jersey!"

"You've got to promise me you won't put yourself down anymore."

"But look at this pudge!" she protested, pinching at some skin upon her abdomen. She frowned at the sharp sting, watching it quickly recede just as she had pinched, proving there was barely any fat deposits beneath the skin and upon the muscles. "Okay... So, I've got a flat stomach, but it's not chisled... Not like yours."

"Mine's chiseled?" he teased, lifting his shirt for a moment and looked down.

"Well, duh, I happen to see six packs there," she teased, drawing her finger down the indentations of Howie's firm abdominal muscles formed into a six-pack.

"W-Well so there is," Howie stammered slightly at the gentle touch of her finger on his skin.

"You okay?" she laughed, leaning over to place the gentlest kisses against his neck, noticing his hand lower with the jersey.

"Couldn't be better. Why?" he asked, his body shivering at her kisses.

"Because I got my jersey back!" she laughed, jumping up against him. She grabbed the jersey and ran to the driver's side.

"Oriana!" Howie grunted in shock, preparing to run around to catch the door. Yet, he stopped when he heard the slam of her door and the hooting of triumph. A sly smile curved to his lips as he carefully crawled through the large open trunk space. He felt like a cat sneaking upon its prey as he watched Oriana try to pull on the jersey. With quick reflexes, Howie snatched the jersey back and scared Oriana by tickling the sides of her stomach.

"Hey!" she squeaked in horror, fighting his grasp with a squeal of protest.

"Gotcha!" Howie cackled with a grin as he continued to tickle her.

"Howie!" she lamented with agony, laughing fiercely at the feathery touches against her delicate skin. Her heart rate increased into a pounding fever as heat flushed her body, begging her to forward the sexual aggression raging between them. She found herself poorly equipped, not even really wanting to fight him off.

"Say uncle! I got you good, now say uncle!" he demanded, his hands tickling her sides and stomach. The heat between them continued to rise, and Howie wanted to give in. But he knew she wasn't ready and didn't push it.

"Bite me!" she wheezed.

"Okay!"

"Not literally!"

"But you said---"

"You're going to make me late for practice, you vampire!" she screeched as he playfully nipped her ear.

"What's stopping you from leaving?"

"You!"

"How?!"

"Before or after the fact that your pinning me in a car where most guys would go for a little one on one action?" she drawled, deciding to embarrass him to get free.

"Oh..." he trailed off, blushing.

"So, is that what you planned, Howie? Scare a girl by stalking her to her dance class, exclaiming she has a beautiful body, then tackle her in the front seat of her car for a little..." Oriana affectionately wiggled her eyebrows.

"I'm not that big of a horn dog!"

"So what kind of horn dog are you?" she prompted.

"The nice one that stops when a girl asks?"

"Stop," she laughed.

"Stop?"

"Mm-hmm."

"Alright. What time is your practice at?"

"Four o'clock. Why?"

"It's ten to four."

"Oh, shit," she breathed, struggling to pull herself up in the driver's seat. She squeaked at the struggle, finding Howie shifting into an awkward position. Finally, Oriana flung her door open to slide out of the car. She panted heavily, adjusting her sport's bra. "I've got to get there!"

"Well, get your stuff on and let's go!" Howie replied with a laugh.

"Nah, I think I'm driving over in my sport's bra," she taunted, watching Howie fumble for his keys. She arched her light brows in confusion. "You heading back home?"

"No, I was wondering if I could just follow you to Tartan and watch you practice."

"Why?" she deadpanned after a few moments, staring at Howie as if he were a complicated calculus equation. Even in her brief dating sequences, none of the boys remotely even cared that she participated in football. They completely ignored that portion of her life.

"Because I'd like to. I mean, is that alright?"

"Well, yeah, of course... I just... I didn't think you'd be signing up for the full position as supportive boyfriend..." she drawled.

"I would be a horrible boyfriend if I didn't."

"So, you're applying for the full-time position as a boyfriend?" she replied, a soft smile finally curving to her sweet-pink lips.

"Yeah, and I hope I get approved," he smiled as well.

"Well... We would need a proper interview and some sort of application..."

"I'll gladly do that, but now you're really going to be late."

"Ace is always a half hour late anyway, he likes to take time to settle the score with the head cheerleader behind the bleachers," Oriana grimaced, grasping the right keys. "Just follow me over?"

"Will do," Howie replied, hopping out of the car. He delivered one last steamy kiss before running to his car.