- Text Size +
Chapter 33 – The Last Dance

Brian felt absolutely miserable as he collapsed onto his large bed, grabbing the nearest tennis ball. The anger that had flamed high within his soul had soon simmered into a few burning coals. His emotions had been so wild since Oriana and Teagan had entered into his life. He didn't know what he could possibly do to fix the fiasco. Hopelessly alone, he stared at the ball for a few moments, wondering how things between Teagan and himself had gone so wrong in such a short fight. The football game didn't even seem to register in his mind, because Teagan was far more important. He would dump the team in a second, but wouldn't chance the idea of losing Teagan for an eternity. He began to bounce it heavily against the wall, trying to decide if groveling would be the best way to get Teagan back.

"We've got to check everywhere in the house. He could get in while we're sleeping, Riana! We're lucky enough he didn't get in the Hummer through the trunk on the way back," Teagan's voice floated through the house, her tone full of paranoia and fear.

"Honestly, Teagan, I've never seen you this out of your skin before over Xander. He threatens me once and you're ready to throw us in a hole for an entire century," Oriana's voice quickly countered as the door slammed, causing Brian to sit up in the bed and miss the tennis ball. He immediately scrambled off the bed and placed his ear against the door to hear better.

"No, this is the second time he's threatened to hurt you! He PROMISED to stay away from me after I gave him that three hundred bucks. He was following me, I know it. Him being at Eclipse was no coincidence tonight. And then he touched us... God, I think I'll need to scald myself tonight!" Teagan started to look in all the closets to make sure no one had gotten into the house.

"A promise from him is like a rattlesnake purring.... Damnit, Teagan, get out of the closets!"

"But what if he—"

"He's not in the closets. He's not in the bedrooms. He's not in the bathrooms. He's not in the living room. He's not in the basement. He's not in the kitchen. He's not going to murder us in our sleep. He's not going to hurt me. And I'm not going to let him hurt you. Just go upstairs and talk to Brian like I know you want to. Just forget about Xander, keep close to people and the next time he shows up, call the damn cops!"

"Alright," Teagan sighed heavily, hugging Oriana. "Thank you... for everything, you know?"

"You mean for actually staying away from the club because you're acting like a paranoid mother?"

"Oriana Ryan—"

"It's the damn truth, so why don't you get up those stairs and talk to lover-boy so I can actually get a Pepsi and relax?"

"I'm going, I'm going..." Teagan went halfway up the stairs and stopped. She turned around with a worried look on her face. "What if he doesn't want to work things out?"

"Now that's a stupid question right there, Gabby. Of course he does," Oriana replied, swallowing her anger once again towards Brian to help her friend out. She understood how important he was to Teagan.

"But—"

"He loves you," Oriana repeated.

Brian stepped back from his door as Teagan's footsteps grew faster. He yelped in surprise, knowing he had to be in the perfect position. He turned to jump on his bed, but the tennis ball caught under his foot. Brian cursed in surprise as he tumbled onto the bed and off to the side. He groaned in contempt as his head bounced lightly against the wall. "Damnit!"

"Brian?" there was a knock at his door.

"Come in," he squeaked, struggling to get off the floor. His efforts proved useless, however, because he kept slipping on the pile of clothes beneath his feet.

Teagan opened the door and carefully walked in. She stopped dead in her tracks when she caught sight of Brian trying to get back on his feet. A snicker escaped her lips before she clamped a hand over her mouth to stop from laughing. "What are you doing?"

"New training for football," Brian bluffed, grasping onto the covers of his bed. He yanked hard on the cover to pull himself up, but the cover loosened and he fell back against the wall. "Damnit!"

"Interesting training..." Teagan couldn't hold back and just started laughing hysterically. She fell onto his bed and buried her head in his pillow, hoping to calm down.

"Keeps me fit and toned," he yelped, finally making it onto the bed.

"Is it that, or are you just having a lot of problems?" she asked, removing her head from the pillow.

"A tennis ball got in my way," Brian admitted with a huff.

"You alright now?"

"Once I run the tennis ball over with a lawnmower...yeah."

"Just don't kill yourself in the process," Teagan replied, leaning on her elbow. She wanted to be closer to Brian, but was unsure.

"No clothes to trip on in the front yard.”

"True…"

"Look, Teags—"

"I don't want to fight anymore. I don't like fighting with you."

"Me either. And I didn't mean to push you to get out of the car. Coach was just riding me so hard and I hate when people just dog me out of no where. Truth is, yeah, I have a temper, but it hasn't been this bad before. I'm sorry about jumping your case when you were only trying to help..."

"I know, and I'm sorry I didn't stop. I just wanted you to understand and listen... we've never lost before, and that was hard to handle, too. I didn't mean to make you mad..."

"You weren't the one that made me mad---"

"I didn't help the situation."

"It was just stupid."

"It was. I really wish we hadn't fought tonight, it would have been nice to dance with someone at Eclipse for longer than five minutes."

"Who'd you dance with?" Brian countered, submerging his jealousy. He hated the idea of Teagan dancing with anyone but him, but also knew he had to learn to control his streaks of hatred.

"Just your brother and Howie. I didn't feel the music, and I missed you. That's why I'm home so early," Teagan replied, refusing to add that she scared Alex with her behavior.

"Oh..." he trailed, cupping her cheek with his warm hand.

She leaned her cheek against his hand, missing the soft touches. "Next time, you're going with me. I'm never going there without you again..."

"Deal, Baby," Brian agreed, running his thumb against her cupped cheek.

"I love you. Don't forget that, okay? Even if I'm acting like an eejit, I love you regardless." Teagan replied softly.

"Eejit?" Brian asked.

"An idiot."

"Oh, alright. No matter how much of a beast I can be, I love you regardless, too."

Teagan leaned in and kissed him deeply. "Time to mark this on the calendar. This is the make-up of our first big fight."

"That's on the wall and there's no way in Hell I'm getting off this bed with those deadly clothes and tennis balls lurking."

She laughed, running her hand through his messy locks. "You're pretty agile on the field, but anywhere else... Darling, you're hopeless."

"I was agile enough to flip over the bed!"

"After you tripped on the tennis ball?"

"Yeah, and I was pretty graceful with the landing on my head!" Brian protested, causing Teagan to laugh harder. Brian wrinkled his brow in confusion. "I'm being serious."

"How is that serious?" she asked between bursts of laughter.

"Because I said so?"

"Sorry, doesn't work that way," Teagan pounced on him, straddling his hips.

"Well, damnit, it should!"

"Maybe it does in Bri-Bri's World," she leaned down and started kissing his neck. "But not in Teag's World."

"We've only been apart for a few hours and I was missing you like crazy," Brian murmured, thankful that Oriana hadn't entered the conversation once. He just wanted to forget the horrors she caused in his life, focusing upon Teagan. He smiled, tilting his head so Teagan could continue her tiniest of kisses. He ran his hands down her back, hearing her breath slightly catch against his warm skin.

"I missed you so much. It's lonely going anywhere without you," Teagan whispered, her kisses leading upwards to his jaw line. It was her favorite place to kiss, though she couldn't explain why.

"It's lonely not having you here beside me."

"From now on, I will always be right beside you."

"Oh yeah?" he chuckled, tangling his hands in her locks.

"Yep!" she smiled against his skin, nipping a little more before looking into his eyes. "When are Ma and Kevin going out of town?"

"Saturday till Tuesday to finish wedding plans with my Grandparents in Kentucky," Brian replied, deciding to plant kisses of his own against Teagan's throat. He immediately pulled Teagan down so she was lying against his body as if they were one. He smiled as her blue-gray eyes twinkled with delight. "I figure, we have Friday and Monday off for whatever reason, so I make plans for us from Saturday till Monday, making sure that the two little dweebs are out of the house on Saturday night?"

"Sounds like a perfect weekend alone," Teagan agreed, resting her forehead against his. It was as if they had never thought, and she liked to finally have someone who forgives and forgets. "I'll even make you dinner Saturday night. I have the perfect meal for you."

"Sounds good to me," Brian chuckled, making a note to get the two younger siblings out of the house.

"Well... it's still early. What should we do?" Teagan asked, playing with the hairs on the back of his neck.

"Go out for some pizza?"

"Extra cheese?"

"If I get to have extra sauce and extra cheese."

"Deal, if we can stop by Cold Stone after for some ice cream."

"Are you trying to make me slower for the games?"

"Me? Nuh-uh! Teagan's innocent."

"Yeah, right, but we're taking your car, because you cracked my side window."

She winced. "I did do that, didn't I?"

"Yeah, you did."

"I'm really sorry... I'll pay for that."

"Don't worry about it. I'll hassle Dad for some cash. C'mon, our pizza's waiting," Brian decided, offering a warm kiss before pushing Teagan gently off him.

"Before we go, can I borrow a sweatshirt? It's kind of cool out to be wearing this," Teagan looked down at her halter top and tried not to freak out as she noticed red marks from Xander's hands on her sides.

"Sure, you can have my favorite UK sweatshirt," Brian decided, leaping over the large pile of clothing he had previously tripped on to reach his closet. He quickly grabbed his favorite item of clothing, tossing it in Teagan's direction. "So, were you planning on telling me that Xander stepped up to you again and put those marks on your side?"

She quickly pulled the hoodie over her head so her hair wouldn't get messed up. "You heard me downstairs?"

"Kind of hard not to when you're having a panic attack and almost shouting."

"I didn’t want to say anything because... well, we were making up after our argument, I didn't want to make it worse."

"It's not worse. I'm just worried about you. What happened?"

"He said he was just going in to drink, but I know he was following me from the house. Riana was going to drive me back, when he stopped us both. Started making all these rude and nasty comments... threats involved, as always. I couldn't even move, I was scared he would do something worse than cut up my neck from last time," Teagan took a deep breath before continuing. "Riana got tired of his mouth and yanked his arm behind his back, throwing him out of the club with the rest of his idiot buddies. I want him to die, Brian. I really do..."

"I'd kill him, but it'd be illegal. Oriana really threw him out of the club?" Brian asked, slightly impressed.

"Yeah, she almost broke his arm. She's really strong when provoked, just like you."

"I guess I owe her that much."

"Wow, wait a minute. Are you... agreeing with me about something positive on Riana?" she asked, more than a little surprised.

"No, I'm just saying I owe her for protecting you. Don't read too much into it, Teagan," Brian warned with a snort, trying to cover up his lapse in judgment.

"Can't blame me for trying."

"Hopefully that mark won't turn into a bruise..."

"If so, I'm wearing sweatshirts all week."

"You just need a longer t-shirt."

"I don't have any. I'm just going to have to hope it doesn't bruise."

"Or you can borrow a couple of my t-shirts."

"Are they UK shirts?" she asked hopefully.

"You think you're getting all my UK shirts?" Brian laughed.

"If I beg enough, I would," Teagan smiled as he took his hand in hers.

"How about we stop at the mall tomorrow and pick you up some UK shirts?"

"Mall? Shopping? With my loving boyfriend by my side... to carry the bags? I'm in!"

"Alright, let's start on pizza first."

"With extra sauce, extra cheese and ice cream after, right?"

"Yes," he promised, kissing her hand.

"I love you, Brian."

"Love you, too, Sweetheart."

*~*~*


Oriana felt herself sigh with relief as she watched Teagan slip behind Brian's door. She caught herself praying that Brian would calm Teagan's paranoia as she traveled into her own bedroom. She figured Howie and Alex were continuing their previous conversation downstairs, so she was alone again. She threw open the door and immediately reached toward the right side of her wall. She smiled in victory as she located the remote to her large CD player that she had Velcro’ed to the doorway for easy access. She pushed the play button, remembering her 80's mix was pumping. Feeling the vibe of the music pulsate through her veins, she crossed toward the full-length mirror her mother had insisted on buying. She pulled her halter top free from her body to stare at her upper half in the light blue sport's bra. She turned slightly to observe her back, wincing slightly as she found a matching pair of handprints near the small of her back where Xander insisted she needed a tattoo.

She frowned slightly, continuing to stare at the darkening marks. She knew they would turn into bruises, because she had too much experience in that area with her mother’s previous boyfriends. She gently ran her fingers against the tender area, realizing she hadn't fooled herself as much as she had fooled Teagan. She was fearful of what Xander might do to Teagan and herself. She figured his wrath against her might not be as self-destructing as what she had been through. But she still had nightmares about finding Teagan's bloody body that horrifying day.

Trying to shrug off the fear, Oriana started to sing along with 'I Wear My Sunglasses At Night', bopping her head along with the heavy beat. She walked into her closet and changed into a wife-beater and her lucky rubber ducky boxers. "Don't switch the blade on the guy in shades/ Oh no/ Don't masquerade with the guy in shades/Oh no/ I can't believe it/ You got it made with the guy in shades/ Oh no..." She danced around her room, eyes closed as she tried to lose her problems in the music.

"Going way old school, huh?" a voice called out, startling Oriana greatly. She jumped in surprise and immediately curled her hands into fists to protect her face. Howie offered her a confused look as he knitted his eyebrows together. "Your door was...uh...open..."

Oriana stared at him for a moment, blanking at the thought. She had always been careful of shutting and locking her door after the first boyfriend who had assaulted her. She tugged hard at her crimped locks, wondering how she could have been so foolish. What if Kevin had turned for a brief moment inside a desire of hate or lust? "Damnit, I'm so stupid!"

"So stupid about what?" Howie replied, still confused as she quickly turned down the music. "Ria, are you okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" she asked, tightening her ponytail.

"Because, like I said earlier, I can see it in your eyes," Howie expressed, noticing her posture tense as she stood by her CD player. He took a step forward and she bumped directly into the stand holding her CD player. He arched his eyebrows in question yet again. "See?"

"Sorry..." she apologized immediately, feeling foolish.

"You don't need to say you're sorry. Just tell me what's wrong instead of trying to shrug it off. What's wrong?" Howie replied as Oriana quickly put in another CD and played it softly. She walked over to her bed and sat down, clutching her broken arm close to her chest.

"I haven't let my door open or unlocked in awhile..." she said quietly, hoping that would be enough for him. She honestly felt that she could trust him with everything in her heart, but she still felt embarrassed and disgusted by her past horrors. Nor did she want Howie telling Teagan that she was honestly worried about Xander. She was the strong one in the relationship, whether Teagan cared to admit that or not. Teagan could wilt at any time, but Oriana had to maintain a stone-like appearance for the sake of their entire family.

"Is that a good thing?" Howie replied, sitting down next to her. He had a feeling there was something really deep in what she just said, but knew better than to push it.

"It's not a good thing..." she trailed, tucking her long legs beneath her. She stared toward the CD player, concentrating on the glowing letters and numbers, hoping to almost float away from the conversation.

"Oh," They were silent for a moment when 'I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)' by Meatloaf. Oriana's favorite singer, played gently through the speakers. Howie began to sing along. "And I would do anything for love/ I'd run right into hell and back/ I would do anything for love/ I'll never lie to you and thats a fact/ But I'll never forget the way you feel right now/ Oh no - no way/ I would do anything for love/ But I wont do that/ I wont do that, anything for love/ I would do anything for love/ I would do anything for love/ But I wont do that/ I wont do that..."

Oriana exhaled slowly, speaking the next part of the song that seemed to embed deep into her soul, "Some days it don't come easy, / And some days it don't come hard / Some days it don't come at all, / And these are the days that never end. / Some nights you're breathing fire, / And some nights you're carved in ice / Some nights you're like nothing / I've ever seen before or will again..."

Howie smiled, resting his chin on her shoulder as he sang once more, "As long as the planets are turning/ As long as the stars are burning/ As long as your dreams are coming true/ You better believe it/ That I would do anything for love/ And I'll be there til the final act/ I would do anything for love/And I'll take a vow and seal a pact."

"Didn't realize you knew the lyrics..." she whispered ever so softly, just enjoying the soft melody of his harmonious voice.

"I listen to just about everything, and I've always liked Meat Loaf," Howie replied before looking into her eyes. "Since we didn't get to do this earlier... would you like to dance?"

Oriana winced slightly, realizing that she never did get to dance with him. Xander's abrupt appearance had ruined almost everything Oriana had hoped for. "I'm sorry we didn't get to dance, Howie. I shouldn't have been so focused on Luke. I mean, I really did go to dance with you. Not just drop you off. I really wanted to dance with you, but then Luke pushed us into the middle and... I'm just really sorry."

"You don't need to apologize, Baby. You were having fun, and you're happy when that happens. We can dance right now, and it would be better than in Eclipse."

"Right now?" she repeated, realizing how truly sweet he was.

"Right now."

"This song's almost over..."

Right when the song ended, Kelly Clarkson's 'A Moment Like This' played gently through the large speakers. Howie smiled and placed his hands on Oriana's waist. "Shall we dance, Miss Riley?"

"Miss Riley?" she laughed.

"You're my Miss Riley," he replied, chuckling as well. Oriana wrapped her arms around his neck before leaning up to kiss him.

"Then you're my Mr. Dorough."

"I'll take that," he answered softly, pulling her carefully toward the middle of the room. He smiled as she gently ran her fingers against his neck while they slowly swayed to the beat of Kelly Clarkson's powerful song. The small chances she took for intimate contact were like gold in Howie's eyes. "You know... If you're actually up to the Miss Riley name, then I might be able to con you into the Homecoming Formal and the Prom."

"Con me?" Oriana countered with a wry smirk. She allowed him to pull her body against his so they could move like one through the song. She kept her cast close to her chest as some kind of barrier between them, but felt silly.

"Well, con you because of the fact you need to wear a dress," Howie replied, remembering her reaction to the bridesmaid dresses.

"Isn't it enough that I have to parade around in a dress for my mother's wedding? Now you want me to go to Homecoming and Prom?"

"Well, that's where the conning part would have to kick in."

"And how exactly might you con me into those idiotic parades of female dominance?" she countered innocently, allowing her fingers to slowly entangle into his curls.

"By promising to get you anything you want?" he asked with an impish smile.

"I don't want anything from you," she whispered with a sweet glance, offering a light kiss to his warm cheek as he gently turned her.

"So you'll go to Homecoming and Prom wearing a dress?" he replied hopefully.

"I didn't say that, I just said that I didn't want anything from you."

"Is it really that bad to wear a dress?"

"In my world, yes. Why do you want to go to Homecoming and Prom so much anyway?"

"Why don't you?"

"Because heels make my back hurt?" she guessed.

"I just really want to go to them, that's all."

"They're really that important to you?"

"Yes."

"Can I think about it?"

"Of course you can."

"Thank you," she replied, closing her eyes as she rested her head against his shoulder, allowing him to take the lead. She loved Kelly Clarkson's amazing voice and always found herself drifting into a calm peace with her music.
Howie smiled softly, kissing the top of her head as he once again began to sing along. "Everything changes/ But beauty remains/ Something so tender/ I can't explain/ Well I maybe dreamin'/ But 'till I awake/ Can we make this dream last forever/ And I'll cherish all the love we share/ For a moment like this/ Some people wait a lifetime/ For a moment like this/ Some people search forever/ For that one special kiss/ Oh, I can't believe it's happening to me/ Some people wait a lifetime/ For a moment like this..."

"I think I could listen to you sing all night," Oriana confessed, her eyes still closed as she held herself closer to Howie's body. His voice gave himself yet another link to her heart. She could feel all of his emotions just through the very soft changes in his gifted voice.

"I would sing all night if you asked me to," Howie whispered.

"You'd have no voice in the morning," she whispered with a small laugh.

"Doesn't matter. If it makes you happy, I would do it."

"Howie?" Oriana asked, carefully parting from his grasp when the song abruptly ended.

"Yeah?" Howie looked down into her eyes.

"About the door thing..."

"What about it?"

"I've always shut and locked it since Momma started dating..." she tried to explain, biting down hard on her bottom lip. She had never told anyone about her horrifying experiences. "I...um... I used to get hurt at night and I figured it was easier to protect myself if it was locked..."

"Get hurt?" Howie looked confused for a moment until realization flashed in his eyes. "You mean the boyfriends would hurt you?"

"Something like that..."

"Oh, Riana... I'm sorry. If I had known, I wouldn't have pushed you like I did on our first date--"

"It's okay," she interrupted, pressing her hand against his cheek so he would look into her eyes. She immediately realized it wasn't the smartest choice, because her eyes darkened with fear and hurt. She managed to offer a smile while speaking, "It's not your fault. And it's not a big deal. I don't want anyone knowing though. It's just something that happened."

Howie cupped her cheeks and kissed her forehead. "If I could go back and prevent it all, I would. You didn't deserve to be hurt."

"It's okay, Howie. Honestly. Just don't tell anyone?"
"I won't, I promise."

Oriana was about to speak again, but her door flew open. She immediately lept away from Howie's arms as Alex popped into the room. He offered his usually wicked smile, motioning across the hall. "Let's go lover-boy. Time for bed! Got the futon in my room all made up for you!"

"Um..." Oriana was dumbfounded at the turn of events. She was already used to having Howie nestled beside her in bed during the nights. She felt more exposed and naked than before after telling her darkest secret. She wanted to say she needed him, but the words wouldn't surface. "G'night?"

Howie looked confused himself until he remembered the previous conversation with Alex about staying in his room in case of another Brian lash-out. "Oh, shit, I forgot. Listen, J, I'm going to stay here with Riana tonight."

"But I thought--"

"Is that what you two were talking about before you got into the Hummer?" Oriana interrupted with question, glancing between the two boys. She immediately began to wonder if Howie truly didn't like spending the time with her or if Alex was objecting to the relationship, too. Her cynical mind had always been a downfall since the terror she had endured.

"Well, we thought it would be safer since Brian could snap any moment—" Alex tried to explain.

"But I realized I would be too miserable without you," Howie interrupted.

"You said that it wasn't a bad idea—" Alex started to correct.

"That's when I realized it could be a worse idea. I mean, what if he does something and I'm not in the room to protect her?"

"She always locks her door. Besides, you said he could make up some serious shit about you staying in the room. You don't want Cass to think you raped her or something--"

"Futon sounds nice, Howie..." Oriana interrupted, feeling her breath catch at the mere mention of the word rape. She seemed to pale dramatically, collapsing onto the side of her bed.

"But Riana—"

"We don't want my mom thinking we're having sex when we're not. She'll freak out."

"I thought your Mom knew that you were saving yourself for marriage!" Howie protested.

"Well, yeah, but---"

"Must I mention the word rape again? Because Brian will!" Alex stressed.

"Will you stop saying that word, please!"

"Why? Technically it would be Statutory—"

"Howie, just do whatever you want to do, okay?" Oriana stressed weakly, turning to grasp her sheet and comforter at the end of her bed. She carefully pulled it upward before easing herself into the bed, trying her best not to release the sob building.

"Alex, go back in your room. Now. Before I have to kill you," Howie hissed, trying not to wrap his hands around Alex's throat.

"What'd I do?" Alex yelped.

"Didn't think before you spoke, like always. Now GOOD NIGHT and GOOD-BYE."

"I'm sorry. I was just looking out for you tw—"

"Your heart was in the right place, but the wrong way. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"But--"

"Don't argue with me. Just go. Please."

"Okay, but if you're planning on sleeping in here, at least keep the door halfway open," Alex grumbled, crossing the hall.

"Is it alright if it's open? Or do you want me to close it?" Howie asked softly. He felt bad about snapping at Alex, but the boy said the wrong words for what was just discussed.

"Depends..." she trailed, staring at her wall of awards.

"Depends on what?"

"If you're staying, I'll be okay with it being open because I know you'd try to protect me. But if you're going to Alex's room, I'm going to shut and lock it."

"I would like to stay with you, if you still want me to."

"Why wouldn't I want you to?"

"Because we were talking about plans to keep you safe from Brian earlier... I know you feel Brian can't hurt you again, but--"

"Howie, you worry too much..."

"No, actually, I don't. Figuring he broke your arm and you have that bruise on your neck from where he grabbed you..." Howie replied, hoping she understood.

"I get bruises all the time," Oriana assured, remembering the freshest on her lower back.

"I'm still going to worry about your safety because I care about you."

"Are you sleeping in here or not?" she asked, deciding the change the subject. She turned for a moment, causing her tank top to rise. Howie immediately raised his eyebrows as he caught sight of the bruises on her lower back. "Like I said, bruises all the time."

"I would like to—"

"Then leave the door halfway open to satisfy Jamie and come to bed," she decided. "And the bruises on my back aren't from Brian."

Howie did as he was told and carefully climbed into the bed. "Did Xander give you the bruises on your back?"

"Yes," she admitted, feeling Howie settle behind her. With a longing for security, she turned and rested her head against his chest. She smiled softly at the steady rhythm of his heart against her ear.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there to stop it..." Howie whispered, running his fingers through her hair.

"I stopped it," she assured, resting her cast against his stomach for elevation.

"Well, then I wish I could have heard him squeal like a pig."

"Where were you anyway?"

"I was trying to find Alex. And before I knew it, both of you were gone and I was trying to get to you."

"It's done with, Howie. Don't feel bad," Oriana assured, rubbing her cheek against his chest to show a sign of affection before settling herself comfortably against him.

"I know..." he kissed the top of her head, "Get some sleep. We've had a long day."

"What do you have to do tomorrow?" she asked, trying to mask a yawn.

"Besides spending it with you?"

"Um...yeah..."

"I don't know. What about you?"

"I want to go to the Center for awhile, so the kids don't worry about what happened to me. I can't do the football practice tomorrow, because it's just a game where they hang out and I won't be able to play... Then I don't know about my dancing classes, I mean, whether I should still go or not."

"Could I come with you to the Center?" Howie asked, understanding more about why she was there for the kids. They had the same kind of past she did.

"You really want to go?"

"I really do."

"I think it'd be nice if you went with me. The girls are dying to see who actually stole my heart from the little boys at the Center. And, well, the boys are probably ready to wrestle you down in a game of basketball for me."

"Cute little girls drooling over me and playing for my girl's heart against the other boys? I'm in," Howie chuckled.

"Cute is an understatement when it comes to these girls," Oriana decided, stifling yet another yawn. "They're a great bunch of kids, but it's a real commitment, Howie. They need people that are going to be there for them. They haven't had stability in such a long time and I think you'll be a great part of the team. Not enough guys work with us as it is."

"If they accept me, I'll definitely become a part of the team," Howie kissed the top of her head. "You're getting tired."

"They'll accept you," Oriana assured, liking the feeling of Howie's lips against any part of her body. "I figure I'll stop off at the studio to see what Mary wants me to do while I have the cast, then we can go to the Center for awhile. Then I'll have to come back and work on homework---"

"Homework? No way, tomorrow no homework."

"Why?"

"It's your slacking off day."

"Who said?"

"Um... I did?"

"And who made you King?"

"You did?"

"Mmm, good answer," Oriana chuckled, leaning up to kiss Howie.

"I thought it was," he mumbled against her lips before kissing her again. "So, it's agreed? No homework tomorrow?"

"Until you leave to go home."

"Well, I'm not going home until the night before we go back to school. Because you're right, I do need to be at home for at least a day or two during the week."

"You're family probably hates me for keeping you away so much."

"No, they don't," he objected. "They love you from the great things they've heard from me."

"You're probably buffing the truth."

"Nuh-uh!"

"I believe you," she assured, feeling his muscles tense. She affectionately ran her good hand across the side of his stomach, hoping to calm him.

"Good, because there's nothing bad to say about you," he relaxed at the soft touch of her hand.

"Mmmm..." she murmured softly, her eyes finally drifting close. "Howie?"

"Yeah, Riana?" he asked, his eyes closed as well.

Oriana fell silent for a few moments, struggling to gather her wits. She wanted to tell him something that was burning inside her heart, but the words wouldn't form in her mouth. She took a deep breath, feeling his arm gently coil around her shoulder. "Howie, I just wanted to say..." She stopped short when she noticed his breathing steady. She glanced up, realizing he was truly asleep. She smiled softly, allowing her eyes to drift close again. "I just wanted to say that I'm falling in love with you, even if I can't say the words just yet."