- Text Size +
Chapter 34 – Sharing the Depths of His Heart

"Are the kids up this early at the Center?" Howie asked as he walked out of Oriana's bathroom. He had just taken a cool shower, his curls damp and glistening in the soft bedroom light. Not knowing if there was a particular way to dress, he just pulled on a red t-shirt over a white wife beater along with a pair of khaki shorts. He had slept soundly during the night while Oriana curled sweetly to his side. Only, he had risen early because he was excited to share in Oriana’s life. The very idea that she sacrificed such a large portion of her life to helping the less fortunate caused a sweet note to play sweetly in his heart. He loved that she cared so much and wanted to help.

"If they've had a bad night with their families, yes. The Center is open all the time for the kids, because it's the only place they really have to go at times. It's kind of a give and take scenario. You never know until you get there," Oriana explained, struggling a little to pull up her baggy black mesh shorts to settle against her hips.

"At least there is a place around here for those kids to go to," Howie replied, helping Oriana with her shorts. When she arched her light brows in question, he laughed. "You looked like you needed a little assistance."

"Still haven't gotten used to working with one arm," she explained, blushing faintly.

"It's alright," he leaned down and kissed her. "So, are you ready to go?"

"If you expect me to go running out in a sport's bra, sure," she laughed, freeing her favorite tank top from its place on the post of her bed.

"Well, now that you mention it..."

"Howie!"

"Kidding, kidding."

"Somehow I don't believe you," Oriana replied, pulling the tie-dyed tank over her head.

"I didn't think you would," Howie chuckled as she became fully dressed. "But I tried."

"Bikinis in public, yeah. But not Sport's Bras. The kids at the Center would be scarred for life."

"Nah, the girls would be curious and the boys would fall in love with you even more," he replied.

"You ready to go?" she changed the subject again.

"Are you?" he asked.

"Shorts, tank top, wet hair in a ponytail, cast in the sling, permanent marker in the pocket...keys are downstairs... Yeah, I think I'm ready," Oriana chirped, gently rolling her eyes.

"Then let's head out," Howie replied, opening her bedroom door.

"You're not nervous at all?"

"Why would I be? I love kids."

"Just making sure, because not a lot of people would be into doing this... They hear abused kids and head off running. I don't know, they're great kids. They're all wonderful and unique in their own ways. Corey and Catie are always there, their mother gets a new boyfriend every week..." Oriana sighed softly. She had grown attached to Corey and Catie over the years and would do anything for them. She smiled faintly as she walked toward the stairs, accidentally bumping into Brian. She lurched back in surprise as he steadied the tray in his hands. "Making breakfast for Teagan?" she asked politely.

"Yes, I am," Brian replied. He had made Teagan's favorite breakfast; fried potatoes, French toast, sausage and orange juice.

"Um... She likes powdered sugar on her French toast. She'd love you forever if she noticed that sprinkled," Oriana tried.

"Oh. Um... thanks for the tip," Brian answered, still being polite, which unnerved the three of them.
"You're welcome," Oriana took Howie's hand and headed down the stairs.

"Damnit, I don't like her!" Brian cursed, remembering his personal grudge. He waited until he heard the front door close, so he hurried down the stairs to get powdered sugar on the French toast. He seemed pleased with himself as he hurried back up, hefting the tray yet again. He knew Teagan would be filled with immense joy. He smiled softly, pushing open the door. "Rise and shine, Sweetheart!"

Teagan mumbled a response before pulling the UK comforter over her head, She hated getting up in the morning. The weekends were her time to get at least twelve hours of sleep, but she had only gotten nine so far. She buried her face deep into the pillow and smiled sleepily when she smelled Brian's cologne. He always had a way of stirring her, even if she didn’t want to.

"C'mon, Sweetie. I made you breakfast," Brian tried again, setting the tray on the nearby nightstand.

"I'll eat it in three hours..." she called from beneath the comforter.

"But it's not cereal!"

"Brian, it's too early," she whined as he peeled back the covers.

"It's your favorite," he stressed, climbing into the bed beside her. He quickly made his plan of war, leaning down to offer kisses against her bare neck.

"Mmm... French toast?" she peeked her eyes open.

"Made by my hands," he complied.

She sat up and looked at the tray of food. He really had made her breakfast from scratch. "Oh my gosh! Brian, you're so sweet!"

"Thought you deserved it," he answered, offering her the tray.

"This looks so delicious. Oh! And you even put powdered sugar on the French toast! How did you know I love that on there?" No one had ever treated Teagan so well, and she wasn't used to it.

"Lucky guess?" he answered, laughing nervously.

"You have to be the best boyfriend in the world," she leaned over and kissed him deeply. "Thank you so much."

"Best boyfriend in the world, I'll take that title," Brian laughed against her lips.

Teagan smiled, cutting up the French toast. She took a bite and sighed happily. "This... is the best French toast besides my mom's."

"Well, somehow I don't think anyone could top a mother's cooking."

"No, that's true. You know something... you still haven't met my mom."

"She's never been over here where I had an actual chance to get to know her."

"That's what we'll do today."

"What?"

"Go over to my house so you can get to know my mom and she can get to know you."

"You're not kidding?"

"Why would I be kidding?" she asked, feeding him a piece of French toast.

"I... Sounds like a lot of fun. I'd love to meet your mother," Brian answered, swallowing his own food. He smiled with approval, kissing Teagan softly. "Bet she's where you get your good looks from."

"You make sure to say that today, and you'll be her favorite forever," Teagan giggled. She searched his eyes and smirked. "You're nervous about meeting her, aren't you?"

"It's your mother, Teagan. Of course I'm nervous," he confessed, leaning back on the headboard of his bed. He stared down at his hands, already knowing that Teagan and Oriana shared their mothers. What if Oriana had confessed to Marie about the terror between him and her? Could he really risk that?

"There's nothing to be nervous about. My mom is going to love you, I know she will," Teagan placed her hand on top of his. "I know something else you could do to make this easier."

"What?"

"Just be yourself and relax."

"That's hard."

"What? Being yourself?"

"Relaxing."

"What can I do help you relax?"

"Finish your breakfast."

Teagan nodded, going back to eating. They were silent for awhile until she placed the tray down on the floor and looked over at Brian. He was still looking down at his hands and she knew he was nervous. Smiling, she tackled him and started tickling his sides. "Stop being nervous!"

"HEY!" he screeched in surprise, hoping to tumble away from her flying hands. She was stronger than Brian had anticipated as she pinned him against the soft mattress. He couldn't help but laugh as she reached his most ticklish areas.

"Yeah, see? I can be strong too!" she laughed as Brian tried to squirm away from her torture.

"Yeah! I see!"

"So, how are you going to be today when you meet my mom?"

"Umm... nervous?"

"No..." she giggled, advancing her tickles upward.

"Hmm... apprehensive?"

"That means nervous!"

"Anxious?"

"No."

"Tense?"

"No."

"Panicky?"

"NO!"

"Um...happy?" Brian tried, finding himself growing serious. He smiled softly, bringing her down for a quick kiss. "I'll be on my best behavior and I'll be overjoyed that I'm meeting the woman who created my beautiful girlfriend."

"That's the right answer," Teagan smiled, laying down on top of him. "My mom is going to love you, I know she will."

"Well I hope so, since I'm going to be a part of this family."

Teagan nodded, kissing him again. "How about we take showers, get dressed and head on over there? It's her day off, and I know she's home making her famous cinnamon rolls."

"Cinnamon Rolls? Oh Hell yes!" Brian whooped, feeling his stomach rumble with anticipation.

"My baby boy is hungry," Teagan laughed, trailing her fingers on his firm stomach before kissing him once more and hopping off the bed. "I call your shower first!"

*~*~*


"Wow... this is a nice place for the kids to come to," Howie commented as he helped Oriana climb out of the Hummer before heading into the Center. It was a large building with a swimming pool, basketball court, playground, tennis court and that was just on the outside behind the fence.

"They've got lots of different things so the kids can come here and forget about problems at home. There's tons of rooms inside with different things, too," Oriana replied, smiling thanks when Howie opened the door for her.

"It's so weird, like, I never even knew this existed," Howie continued as Oriana walked him down the large hallway toward an office. Several children sneaked out as Oriana passed, glancing at her before entering different rooms, many being sleeping quarters. Oriana smiled at every single child before she slipped inside to sign in Howie and herself. He was amazed as several adults immediately group hugged Oriana, wishing her well, and telling her how much the children had missed her. Oriana seemed right at home as each adult insisted on signing her cast before she could leave to do her business. Several gave their hellos to Howie as they traveled to finish their work.

"If you really like helping out today, Rick said to speak to him before we leave to get you set up for volunteering," Oriana explained as she pointed to the man behind the desk.

Howie nodded. "Alright. From the looks of how nice everyone is here, and how cute the kids are, I think I would like volunteering a lot."

"He said you don't have to decide until later," Oriana continued, motioning for Howie to follow her. The hallways were wickedly silent as Oriana turned into another corridor, pointing toward a closed door with her name, cherries, hearts, flowers, and various images decorated on the window. "Kids decided to dedicate this room to me, because I'm always hanging out here before we go dancing, swimming, or to the courts or anything..."

"That was really sweet of them," Howie commented as he looked through the window for a moment before Oriana led him further down the hall.

"They're really sweet kids," she agreed, stopping near the end of the hall. "The rest of these rooms are basically the kitchens, eating areas, and lounges. That door leads out to the grounds, which is surrounded by fences so no one can get at the kids if they're outside. The basketball hoops, swimming pools, basketball courts, and all that fun stuff is out there. Then upstairs is more sleeping areas and lounge rooms with movie centers. Downstairs has the most of the indoor activities... But that's the Center in a nutshell."

"Definitely a great place for the kids."

"One of a kind," she explained, turning back down the hallway. She offered her hand toward Howie. "Figured we'd go to the indoor basketball court where I do the dancing, too?"

Howie took her hand and squeezed it gently with a smile. "Let's go, Babe."

Oriana fell quiet as she led Howie toward the indoor courts. Every time she stepped into the Center, her old memories surfaced. She knew it was best to confront each bitter emotion, but sometimes it always seemed harder than before. She could see the various men rushing toward her with lusting desire or terrifying power. Each held their own potent stain upon her fragile soul. She tried to blink away her tears as she released Howie's hand. She pushed on the door and stepped in. She was immediately heard two voices squeal with delight, "ORIANA! YOU'RE HERE!"

Oriana glanced downward to see two fair-headed children rushing in her direction. Her sea blue-green eyes glimmered with excitement as she crouched down as they hurried faster. The children squealed, leaping into her embrace. She didn't even seem to notice the pain of her cast arm, bringing both children tightly into her free arm. She kissed them several times each before hugging them tighter. "Catie! Corey! I missed you guys!"

"We missed you too! Where were you?!" they asked as Oriana finally let them go. Corey gently touched Oriana's cast.

"That's big ‘owie, Oriana."

"It's nothing to worry about, Corey," Oriana assured, kissing his blonde curls yet again. He was almost five years old and one of the sweetest children within the Center. His large crystal blue eyes and puckered bottom lip were just irresistible to Oriana. She wanted nothing more than to take the siblings home with her to stay forever. On more than one occasion had Catie called her in need of assistance, spending the night curled in her arms. "Just had an accident playing football. No one hurt me on purpose."

"P'omise?" Corey pleaded, his bottom lip puckering further.

"I promise," she repeated, kissing his forehead yet again. She stood up and brought the child against her hip, holding him close. She glanced upon Catie, frowning slightly at the eleven year old's bruised cheek. Catie was an adorable pre-teen in Oriana's eyes. She was tall and lithe with soft blonde locks pulled into a messy ponytail and gorgeous sapphire blue eyes. Yet, she didn't see her beauty like others did, because her confidence had been repeatedly broken by various men. "How you doing, Catie?"

"Alright, I guess," Catie shrugged, looking at Howie curiously. "Who's that?"

"You know how the older girls have been hassling me about this guy that's got them learning some funky dances to romance songs?" Oriana explained, feeling Catie press deeply into her other side.

"Yeah..." she glanced at Oriana curiously.

"That's the guy," Oriana replied, smiling gently at Howie.

"Oooh... he's cute," Catie replied.

"What's your name?" Corey asked, pulling Howie down to his level.

"My name's Howie," he answered, pressing his hands to the ground to steady himself. He glanced up to make sure he was okay. Oriana quickly nodded to assure him, so he glanced back to Corey. "What's your name?"

"Corey..." he stated shyly, tugging on Oriana's shorts to be picked up yet again. He immediately wrapped his arms around Oriana's neck, laying his head against her shoulder. "You Ori's friend?"

Howie stood up and smiled. "Yeah, I'm Ori's friend. How old are you, Corey?"

"Four and a half!" he announced proudly, glancing to his older sister for confirmation.

"Wow! Such a big boy!" Howie enthused after Catie nodded to her brother. "What do you like to play here?"

"Anything that Ori plays. She keeps us busy, busy, busy!"

"Oh, I'll bet! Ori keeps me busy, too!" he chuckled, reaching out gently run a hand through Corey's hair. To his amazement and Oriana's, the boy just smiled instead of flinching away like he usually did with strangers.

"You gonna stay for awhile?" Corey questioned again.

"Yep, I am. Is that okay, Corey?"

"Sounds good to me!" he chirped, nodding excitedly. He wiggled for a moment so Oriana would put him down again. He stepped toward Howie, puffing out his chest slightly. "Do you love Ori?"

Howie kneeled down to Corey's level again and smiled. "Yeah, I do. I love her a lot."

"You gonna marry her?"

Howie's eyes grew wide at the question, but nodded. "I hope so, someday."

Corey's eyebrows furled together in confusion. "Really?"

"Yeah. I got that 'can't live without her' kind of love with Ori."

"Did'ja give her cooties?"

"Cooties?"

"Did'ja?" he pressed dramatically.

"Er... if you mean did I kiss her, yeah," Howie chuckled.

"They're my kisses! She's my Ori! I'm gonna marry her first!" Corey growled protectively, turning to tug on Oriana's shorts for her attention. She glanced at him with confusion, kneeling to his level. Corey bit down on his bottom lip, tugging at something in his pocket.

"What do you have Corey?" Oriana asked curiously as he yanked the special bracelet free from his pocket. He grinned in triumph, offering it toward Oriana with a shy look within his eyes. It was a blue and purple friendship bracelet that he took obvious care to create. "Is that for me, Sweetheart?"

"Yep! Made Catie help me! C'you marry me with it?"

"Marry you?" Oriana laughed with amusement as Catie stifled a smile.

"Uh-huh! I love you and wanna marry you!" Corey replied.

"That's so cute, Corey," Oriana cooed, kissing Corey's cheek lovingly. "Tell you what. I'll wear that bracelet always and forever... And, I would love to marry you...when you're a little older."

"Really? How old do I have to get?"

"A few more years, Corey. Got to make sure you get through school so you can become a Fireman, right?"

"Yeah! I save people from fire all day and come to you at night!"

"Sounds like the perfect life, Corey," Oriana agreed, kissing his forehead yet again.

"So you're mine now? Not gonna marry Howie?"

"Since when was I marrying Howie?"

"He said he wanted to someday!"

"Someday, huh?" Oriana trailed, glancing up to Howie with question. A firm blush settled on his cheeks, causing Oriana to chuckle slightly. She turned back to Corey, ruffling his curls. "How about you go get a basketball out and I'll play one-handed?"

"Really? You can still play ball with one hand?" Corey asked, his eyes shining brightly.

"I'm the king and would do anything for you," Oriana promised. "Go grab that ball for me."

"Otay!" Corey ran to get the ball.

"Here, Catie, can you put this on for me?" Oriana asked, handing the bracelet toward the younger girl.

"Yeah," Catie tied the bracelet on Oriana's wrist. "I'm really glad you're alright, Ori."

"It wasn't a big deal, Catie. Just got underneath a pile of hot football guys, hoping to score a date," Oriana teased, causing Catie to laugh. She smiled again, offering Catie the permanent marker to sign the cast. "I'm honestly kidding, Catie. The only guy that does any serious tackling to my heart is Howie."

"You really like him a lot?" Catie asked as she began to write on Oriana's cast.

"I think he's one of the great guys. You know, the kind of princes that end up in Fairy Tales?"

"He's your Prince Charming?"

"I'm hoping," Oriana confessed softly, causing Catie to giggle with approval. She quickly pulled the marker away from the cast, snapping it closed. She offered it toward Oriana, who tucked it safely back into the sling. She glanced over to see Howie watching them awkwardly. "Going to talk to him for me? Make sure he knows that we love him?"

Catie nodded before walking over to Howie. "Guess what?"

"What?" Howie yelped, somewhat surprised.

"You're really nice to Ori, and you make her happy. That makes me happy. I just wanted to tell you that Ori and I love ya."

"Um..."

"Usually a thank you works pretty well in this place, unless you want to say more?" Catie countered, brightly smiling.

Howie chuckled, blushing profusely. "Well, thank you. I love you both, too."

Catie nodded with approval, glancing behind her to locate Oriana. Sure enough, Oriana had been retrieved by Corey, who was now eagerly writing on her cast. Catie knew she was safe to confide in Howie. With a bold step, she tugged on Howie's hand. "She told me that you're her Prince Charming. Do you think that's what you are? Her Prince?"

"Well, I would like to think so, because she's my Princess," Howie replied. He felt he could tell Catie something and wouldn't tell Oriana. "I even have a present for her that I'm waiting to give her. Do you want to know what it is?"

"What's that?"

"I got her a promise ring, which mean I promise we will always be together. I'm going to give it to her once her acceptance letter to Duke comes in the mail and give them both to her."

"She told me Duke's all the way in North Carolina..." Catie thought allowed, frowning slightly. "If she goes there, how can you be together forever?"

"When you're really in love, Catie, no distance can break two people apart."

"Why can't you go to the same college?"

"Well, I've applied to Duke. But I just did it last week, it'll be awhile until I find out."

"Does she know you did?"

"Nope. That's why we have to keep this a secret."

"Then why don't you keep her acceptance letter, the promise ring, and wait for your acceptance letter to come... Then give'em all at the same time?" Catie asked with confusion.

"Because... I'm a dork and needed a smart girl like yourself to tell me that?"

"I guess so, but you're sure you're going to be together forever with her?"

"I'm absolutely positive."

"Then if I have to keep my promise, then you have to promise me something," Catie decided, leading him slowly toward the opposite side of the court so she could speak privately.

"Anything you want me to promise, I will," Howie replied as they sat down against the wall.

"The thing is, Oriana is always worry about us. I got her cell phone number just in case Corey or I need her. We've spent a lot of nights over at her house. She's our favorite out of this whole place... A lot of kids think she's the best, but we also know that she went through the same stuff we're going through. She probably told you, but she got hurt a lot by her mom's boyfriends, just like Corey and me... She's always protecting us, but she never protects herself. Since you're her Prince now, you've got to promise to protect her for us. You can't let her get hurt anymore."

Howie felt himself choke up at the thought of so many kids getting hurt, and no one ever noticing or stopping it. "I won't ever let her get hurt as long as I'm around. I promise."

"Thank you..." Catie whispered, pressing her hand lightly against her bruised cheek. She looked toward Howie, noticing the soft tears burning beneath his eyelids. She was obviously quite perceptive. "What's wrong, Howie? Didn't Oriana tell you about... Well..."

"I know the kids here had hard lives at home, but... I guess I couldn't believe it until I saw your bruise," Howie ran a hand through his curls. "Now I'm just amazed that so many people don't realize the abuse so many kids go through. Me being one of them."

"We're going to be okay, though. We come here when it gets bad, sometimes we even go to Oriana's house until Mom's new boyfriend calms down. Mom knows he hurts us, but she wants to stay with him. She's thankful that Oriana takes us in a lot..." Catie explained softly, rubbing her hands across her knees. "You going to be a permanent thing around here? Or did Oriana ask you to do this?"

"No, actually I asked her if I could come with. I would really like to volunteer here, if the other kids accept me."

"You shouldn't have a problem with the girls."
“Now, you only said the girls. The guys are gonna kill me, aren't they?"

"They love Oriana and once they find out that you're her boyfriend, they'll step up to you. Just think Corey, only bigger."

"So, more trouble?"

"Either that or a ton of bracelets and promises of marriage," Catie teased.

"Her arm is going to be full of bracelets by this afternoon and I'm gonna be all beaten up," Howie laughed.

"No doubt," Catie agreed, watching Corey and Oriana play basketball. Corey shrieked with laughter as Oriana tossed the basketball toward the hoop with one hand, sinking it on the first try. The little boy clapped wildly. Never noticing two older boys approach as others filtered in. The first boy seemed much wilder than the others as he stood behind Oriana while she was dribbling the ball. Though, she seemed to catch wise quickly as he dove for the ball. With no hesitation, she stepped forward and twisted around him, keeping the ball controlled in her good hand.

"Nice try, Tommy!" Oriana laughed as Tommy continued to dive for the ball, missing every time as Oriana shot for an easy lay-up.

"Man! You have a broken arm and can still be good at basketball!" Tommy groaned.

"Because, I am the king!" Oriana triumphed as she handed the ball to Corey. Tommy smirked with approval, allowing Oriana to bring him in for a tight hug. The other boys and girls noticed this and went jogging to surround her.

"Did the idiot hurt you again?" Tommy asked flatly, motioning toward the cast.

"No, this injury was from football," Oriana promised, pulling out the marker. "Going to sign the cast for me?"

"Of course I am!"

"Good, then I want you guys to meet someone."

"Who?" Tommy asked as he began to sign her cast,

"My boyfriend."

"YOU have a BOYFRIEND?"

"Yes, is that so hard to believe?" Oriana yelped in surprise as Tommy tossed the marker along.

"Well, yeah, because you're usually one of the guys!"

"Tommy, you know you'd make a shot at Ori if you were five years older!" one of his buddies shot.

"Shut up, man!"

"He has that picture of you and him in his wallet!" another fired with a snicker, finishing his signature on Oriana's cast, handing the marker to one of the girls.

"You both need to shut up!" Tommy groaned, chasing after them.

"He does think you're hot stuff," one of the girls admitted with a snicker, her jaw dropping slightly as Howie and Catie approached. "That's him?!"
Oriana glanced behind her and nodded. "Yeah, think he's too good for me, Jess?"

"If I say yes, can I date him instead?"

"No!" Catie scolded her older peer, glaring at Jess. "Howie loves Oriana!"

"You really want to take him from me, Jess?" Oriana pouted.

"Well, he's cute!" Jess whined. "And he's older, too!"

"You're fourteen!" another girl, Lindsay, groaned.

"Age ain't nothing but a number, Linds!"

"Coming from a girl who wouldn't date Teddy because he's eleven!" Lindsay snorted.

"He's still in elementary school--"

“Would you girls at least say hello to Howie?" Oriana interrupted, knowing Jess and Lindsay could argue for hours.

The girls turned to Howie, who was trying not to laugh at the scene before him. "Hello, girls."

"Hi," they sighed happily.

"Howie, this is Jess and Lindsay. Girls, this is my boyfriend Howie," Oriana introduced them.

"You know... People say I'm really mature for a fourteen year old. No offense to Oriana, because I love her dearly, but I dress up and act like a girl..." Jess tried, stepping toward Howie with a flirty gleam in her eyes.

"Um... I think it would be better if you dated guys your own age, Jess. I really love Riana, and I don't think I could be happy without her," Howie tried to explain. "But I would love for us to be friends."

"What does Oriana have that I don't?!" Jess huffed.

"A driver's license..." Catie giggled.

"Shut up, Catie--"

"More like a regular bra instead of a training bra," Lindsay snickered.
"Lindsay!"

"Honestly, Jess! Oriana's got big boobs---"

"Okay, I'm duct taping them from now on," Oriana groaned, blushing furiously.

"Nuh-uh, don't do that!" Howie blurted.

"So that's why he likes her so much!" Jess accused loudly.

"Why's that?" Oriana countered in surprise, glancing toward Howie with confusion.

"I just meant that you shouldn't hide things that God intended you to have?"

Oriana stepped toward him with a wry smile, carefully wrapping her good arm around his neck. She leaned in to whisper in his ear, "Don't bullshit me."

"Well, if I tell you what I mean you're going to think I'm a pig," Howie whined.

"Try me."

"I love everything about you, but your breasts are something that really makes you sexy... you can smack me now if you want."

"Thank you for being honest," she replied instead, affectionately kissing his cheek.

"You mean... my answer was okay?"

"How can I smack you for an honest answer? It's what you truly feel. I can't prevent you from thinking that," Oriana explained quietly.

"That's very... Oh thank God," he breathed with relief, causing Oriana to laugh. He leaned in to kiss her, but Tommy immediately pushed them apart. The younger boy stood in front of Oriana, glaring toward Howie.

"You're really her boyfriend?" Tommy fired, his dark green eyes lit with jealousy.

"Yeah... I really am," Howie stood his ground firmly but gently,

"Why you?"

"Because she wanted it that way?"

"But why?"

"Because I really care about her and love her.”

"You know, I'm fifteen. I could have had a shot--"

"Yeah, you could have."

"She ever talk about me?"

"She talks about all the kids here at the Center."
Tommy clicked his tongue as his friends stood beside Oriana, whispering something. He glanced back at them with a growl, causing them to straighten. He turned back to Howie, cocking his head to the side. "You play ball?"

"Yeah, I play."

"Say we play for a kiss?"

"How many points?"

"Twenty five."

"You're on, Tommy."

"You're playing against each other for me as a trophy?" Oriana questioned in shock.

"I'm just playing to play. If Tommy wins and wants a kiss from you as an award, that'll be up to you," Howie replied. "Unless you're going to swoon afterward and dump me for him..."

"Ooooh, do it, Oriana!" Jess called excitedly.

"Do you honestly think I'd dump one of the best things in my life that easily?" Oriana asked, frowning slightly.

"I was teasing, Baby."

"I hope so..." she countered softly as the girls tugged hard on her arm.

"If they're playing for you, then we're going to do your hair so you actually look pretty!" Jess determined loudly, offering a sweet smile toward Howie. "Can't have you looking like a guy!"

"Jess!" Oriana groaned.

"Could you talk to her about wearing a dress for Homecoming and the Prom while you're at it?" Howie called as the boys motioned for him to join them.

"Howie!" Oriana moaned, watching Jess's eyes light.

"You're going to go to those dances, right Ori?"

"They're so trivial, Jess---"

"But they're a part of high school! And it looks like Howie really wants to go with you."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because I can tell."

"I don't think he---"

"Did he not just ask me to convince you to go?"

"If I promise to go, can I con you girls into just French braiding my hair into pigtails?"

"You promise promise?"

"I promise to go at least."

"And wear a dress?"

"Now wait just a---"

"For me?" Catie begged quietly.

"Awe, Catie... You know I can't resist you!"

"So, you'll wear a dress to the Homecoming Dance and Prom?" Catie asked hopefully.

"And why do you care so much?" Oriana questioned, bringing Catie securely into her arm. She worried so much about Catie and Corey during the day, knowing neither of them got much attention at home.

"You're really pretty, Ori, but you always hide it. Howie really likes you for who you are, and I just think you should wear a dress... as a way of saying thank you..."

"Thank you for what?"

“For seeing and loving the true Oriana."

"When did you get so wise, Tie?"

"When my Guardian Angel offered me a chance to learn how to dance," Catie explained softly, referring to the first day she made contact with Oriana. She smiled sweetly as Oriana's eyes started to tear a little.

"You're going to be okay, Tie. You really are," Oriana sniffled, pressing several kisses to the girl's forehead.

*~*~*


"So? What did you think of the kids, Howie?" Oriana asked curiously as she parked her car in the dance studio's parking lot. They had spent all of the morning and most of the afternoon with the children. Catie and Corey had stayed all day, promising to call Oriana if there was any trouble at home. Oriana had prayed for the two all the way to the dance studio, noticing that Howie was extremely quiet. She hoped he wasn't turned off by the Center. The kids were well behaved, but sometimes many couldn't handle all the emotions in their hearts after visiting. That's why they had lost so many volunteers in the beginning. She gently leaned over and grasped Howie's hand to bring his attention back. "Howie?"

"Hmm?" Howie turned to face her, wiping away some tears. All the kids there were so strong despite the abuse they dealt with every day, and he was amazed.

"Sweetheart, are you alright?" Oriana asked, positive that Howie wouldn't want to come back to the Center. She reached out and wiped away his tears.

"Yeah, I'm just... those kids, they've been through so much... I don't know if I could ever be as strong as them. Or you."

"Me?" Oriana asked in confusion, running her thumb in a circular motion against his warm cheek.

"You've been through a lot, too. And you're strong just like them."

"My experiences were nothing like their..." Oriana caught herself from lying, biting down the words that usually flowed so easily. "My experiences were exactly like what they've had, if not a little worse at times..."

"How did you survive, Riana? How did they? I don't know if I could."

"They realize that it's just one day at a time. Bad things may happen to them, but God did this for some crazy reason. They may not realize it now, but they're going to blossom so beautifully. As long as they have someone nurturing them and loving them, they can get through anything..." Oriana explained quietly, running her fingers against his forehead as more tears fell against his cheeks.

"Who did you have that nurtured and loved you?" Howie asked gently, not bothering to wipe away his tears.

"Teagan...though she never truly realized it..."

"Wow..." they were silent for a moment before Howie leaned in and kissed her. "I'm glad she was there to help you. And I'm really proud of you for helping all the kids."

"I don't think I help them that much---"

"Now that's a lie right there. They would all be lost without you."

"They'd still have the Center, Howie."

"Yeah, but you help them emotionally. You're something stable for them where it wouldn't normally be."

Oriana grew quiet for a few moments, staring at all the sloppy signatures and get well's on her cast. She smiled softly at the sweet memories that fluttered into her heart just by the sight of their signatures. "You really think so?"

"I know so," Howie gently tugged on her braided pigtails. "You're their Guardian Angel."

"I don't know if I'd go that far..." she blushed.

"I would, because you're mine as well."

"What?"

"You're my Guardian Angel, because I felt really lost out there... honestly, until I met you."

"Oh, Howie---"

"Please don't say you're not, because you really are."

Oriana shook her head, biting down on her bottom lip to keep the tears from falling. She gently leaned out of her seat to hug Howie close. She kissed his neck repeatedly while whispering, "You're so sweet, Howie. That's why the kids loved you so much."

Howie smiled softly, wrapping his arm around her waist. "I'm just being me."

"I know, but you were so great with the kids. It really amazed me. Then with Corey. He never lets strangers get closed to him, but he thought you were the neatest thing... Till that marriage thing..."
"Well, he asked me if I was going to, and I said I wanted to someday. I didn't know you had so many suitors at the Center."

"I didn't either..."

"But I don't blame them. You're one in a million."

"Did you really mean someday?" Oriana asked instead, changing the subject.

"Yeah, I really did."

"Howie...." Oriana trailed, stifling another sniffle as she pulled away.

"What? Are you alright?" Howie asked, concerned.

"I haven't even said the 'love' words yet and... And here you are, so open... And... You're just too good to be true..."

"No, I'm just Howie. I'm not going to rush you into anything. You mean way too much to me to lose you.'

"Ick, Howie, you're making me all...girly..." Oriana whispered, trembling slightly as she tried to shake off her emotions.

"But you are a girl...?"

"You're making me feel things that I never thought I'd feel before," she tried to explain, feeling her hands shake.

"You do the same thing to me. Riana, you make me feel more alive than I've ever felt in my life. I'm so happy when I'm with you that I never want us to part," he took her shaking hands into his own. "It's okay to be scared."

"I'm not scared."

"That's why your hands are shaking?"

"No, my hands are shaking because I'm absolutely terrified."

"You wanna know something?"

"What?"

"So am I."

"Why?" she asked in surprise.

"I've never felt like this for a girl before. This is new to me, too."

"Should we cool down? Like take a break?"

"I don't if you don't."

"Are you sure?" Oriana whispered, knowing deep in her heart she could never truly part from Howie. He helped heal the broken parts of her heart that Teagan was unable to reach. She felt lost if she didn't speak to him at least once a day.

"I'm positive," Howie lifted her chin with his index finger so their contrasting eyes locked. "I never want to be apart from you."

"Me either."

He leaned in and kissed her before changing the subject a little. "So, did the girls talk you into going to the Homecoming Dance and Prom?"

"No..." Oriana trailed, unbuckling her seatbelt as her instructor strode past to unlock the studio.

"No?" Howie repeated, feeling a little disappointed.

"No," she assured, "Catie talked me into it."

"She did?"

"Yes."

"How did she--"

"She said I should do it as a thank you..." Oriana explained, opening her door. She leaned against the seat for a moment before stepping out. "You staying in here?"

"No, I'm coming with you," Howie replied as he got out of the Hummer and walked around to meet her. "As a thank you for what?"

"As a thank you to you for seeing and loving the true Oriana, or at least, that's what she said," Oriana explained, placing her hand against the belt looped through Howie's shorts.

"That was the only Oriana I ever knew. But... thank you."

"Don't thank me. Thank Catie."

"Well, I'm thanking you and I'll thank Catie the next time I go to the Center."

Oriana almost stumbled onto the sidewalk in shock. She recovered her balance quickly, stopping their walk toward the studio. Her blue-green eyes were wide at his previous statement. She reached out to stop him by touching his shoulder. "The Center? You're going back?"

He turned around and smiled. "Yeah, I'm going back. I talked to Rick about it and he said it was alright."

"You liked it that much?" she whispered in awe.

"I liked the Center and all the kids that much," he agreed.

"I honestly think you'd not want to go back..." Oriana confessed softly, stopping in her tracks for a moment. "Sometimes people get scared when they realize what the Center's about. These kids need a lot of love and attention... But, I guess that was stupid to think, because you're exactly what the Center needs."

"I did get a little scared when I realized all that," Howie admitted. "But that made me want to help all those kids even more. They deserve happiness, and it feels good to know I helped give some of that."

"They like you a lot... Tommy says you can jump into a game of ball anytime you like. Catie absolutely adores you, because you talk to her like she's an adult and not many do that. Corey is a little high-strung about the whole marriage factor...but he loves you just the same. Lindsay and Jess find you adorable... Might have to watch my back, though."

"Why would you have to watch your back?" Howie asked as they headed towards the studio again.

"Because Lindsay and Jess might feel the need to take you from me."

"Nah, I talked to them before we left. The three of us are friends, and they promised not to take me away from you."

"Would you go willingly?"

"I would fight tooth and nail."

"Oh yeah?"

Yep," he pulled her in for a kiss.

"So this is what you do on your time off?" a voice called as the studio doors opened, interrupting the heated kiss. Oriana immediately pulled away from Howie, blushing furiously. It was her dance instructor, Margie. She was in her mid thirties with deep black curls, light blue eyes, and a fantastic figure.

"Hey, Maggie, sorry. I was just coming to see you about..." Oriana shrugged innocently, holding her cast for view. "Had a small accident on the football field."

"Looks a little more than a small accident, Ori. How long are you in that cast?" Margie asked with a slightly raised eyebrow. She was a highly respected and sought out dance teacher in the whole state of Florida, specializing in every kind of dance imaginable.

"Four to five weeks?" Oriana guessed, biting down on her bottom lip.

Maggie walked over to Oriana as they entered the building. "So, are you going to let your favorite dance teacher sign it?"

"You're not going to give me the lecture about needing to choose dancing over football? Because football is too violent for a dancer who's got the perfected skills like me?" Oriana asked incredulously, offering Maggie the permanent marker.

"I can guess your mother already freaked out about this accident," Maggie continued, writing on Oriana's cast. "I can't tell you to pick between the two passions in your life. You're a football player, and you're a dancer."

"You always tried before," Oriana teased.

"Yes, I know," Maggie chuckled. "But I can't make you choose."

"You're learning," Oriana decided, noticing Howie lingering behind. She knew he always felt uncomfortable invading her personal areas. She smiled softly, motioning for him to come forward. "Think I found a new dancer for you, Maggie... Or maybe a new dancer for me..."

Maggie checked out Howie from head to toe. "He's definitely got the body of a dancer."

"Think he could replace me?"

"Until you come back?" Maggie thought for a moment. "I don't see why not. What kind of dance do you know?"

"I...uh..." Howie stumbled across his words as Luke walked into the studio. He blushed furiously, unable to hide his surprise.

"I was just teasing," Oriana replied with a small smile. She turned back to Maggie, shrugging her shoulders. "Do you still want me to show up for practices, Maggie?"

"Well, of course. It wouldn't be the same without you," Maggie replied.

"Do you want me to stay now, Maggie?"

"If you would like to. But if you've had a busy day at the Center, you should go home and rest that arm."

"I wouldn't be much use---"

"Come on, Cherry-Bomb! Why don't you stay?" Luke interrupted.

"Luke!" Oriana called in surprise, turning to see him stride forward in his usual apparal, tank top and a pair of shorts. She smiled brightly, hugging him tightly. "I didn't even know you were here already!"

"Just here to help out today, and maybe work more on what's going on in our class," Luke smiled, kissing her cheek.

"What about football practice?"

"Already had it."

"Oh..." Oriana trailed, somewhat sad. She had never missed an informal football practice since she had been on the team. She loved just horsing around with the boys.

“Ori, don't get sad. It wasn't even a practice. We were just talking about whether Richardson deserves to be on the team. He hasn't been to any of the impromptu practices, and doesn't fit in with any of us."

Oriana deadpanned for a moment, just staring at her friend for the longest moment. "You talked about him the entire time? No playing?"

"We talked about him, went over the plays that failed against North and added the ones you did to the playbook to make them permanent. But no, we didn't play."

"You made my plays permanent?"

"Yeah, we did," Luke pulled on one of Oriana's pigtails with a smile. "They were great plays, and will help us once you get back in the game."

"I didn't make those plays for me. I made them because---"

"You wanted us to win. Which makes them even better."

"You guys are really sweet, you know that?" Oriana whispered in absolute shock. Not knowing what else to do, she threw her arms around Luke's shoulders, kissing him affectionately on the cheek. "Thank you so much!"

"No need to thank us," Luke chuckled, smiling. "You're our MVP and always will be."

"You need help warming up?"

"Come on back," Luke looked over at Howie, who was talking to Maggie. "Yo, D. You can come with us."

"Me? Where am I going?"

"C'mon, we're going to warm up. I've got to get to know you better. It's obvious you've stolen Oriana's heart. I guess we need to get used to you being around, right?" Luke joked.

"Are you sure you want me tag along? I mean, dancing was always yours and Riana's. I don't want to barge into that if you don't want me to--"

"Well, now it's all of ours. Cherry-Bomb says you're a great dancer. I believe her. You mine as well hang out with us. Plus, if she brought you to the studio, then she wants you to be a part of this. C'mon, Cherry-Bomb, get your boyfriend and meet me in the studio," Luke decided, kissing Oriana's forehead before traveling into the next room where they always danced.

"You don't have to come if you don't want to. I really was joking with Maggie about you dancing... We can leave if you want?" Oriana quickly blurted, not wanting Howie to be upset.

"No, I would really like to stay. I just didn't want to intrude into something that's yours."

"Well, if you want to marry me someday, everything that's mine is going to have to be yours and some point, right?" she teased.

Howie gave a crooked smile. "That's true, too."

"So, do you want to stay?"

"Yeah. Lead the way."

"Thanks for spending the day with me, Howie..."

"No need to thank me. I love spending time with you."

"Just let me know when you get sick of me."

"I would never get sick of you," Howie replied, wrapping an arm around Oriana's waist as they headed down to the modern dance room.