- Text Size +
Chapter 35 – Forced Freedom

"Jamie, stop staring at me. I feel like an idiot," Oriana called, never turning her head away from the TV Screen. She had locked herself away in the basement for the remainder of the week while Kevin and Cassandra had prepared the wedding further. Oriana had other things on her mind however, like developing dance sequences to the Grease! Songs. She had kept her Grease DVD locked in the TV set she kept in her dancing section, perfecting most of the moves she wanted to incorporate into the school's production. She didn't seem to pay attention to Alex slowly stepping forward as she started the 'We Go Together' Sequence. Like it were a simple series of steps, she moved into the coordinated moves like she were one of the originals.

"You don't look like an idiot," Alex replied as he continued to walked towards her.

"Yeah, right," Oriana laughed, stepping into the 'nerd dance' without fail. She had to laugh at herself as she noticed her reflection in the mirror.

"Well, now you look like a nerd," Alex teased.

"Damn, we're definitely going to have to put that in there. It's freaking classic," she laughed, deciding it was easy enough for the others to mimic.

"This is going to be the best production of Grease that any high school has done, Ry. You're kicking ass with the choreography!" Alex hooted as he began to follow some of her dance steps.

"You're just saying that because you're taking on the big brother role too well," Oriana decided, noticing Alex's ease with the dance steps. She smiled, deciding to change to 'You're The One That I Want,' seeing if he could catch up.

"Nice little trick, but I can keep up right with you. I've been watching Grease and doing the moves since I was a kid," Alex laughed as he did indeed keep up with Oriana.

"Maybe you should try out for Danny," Oriana replied, impressed as he picked her up and spun her.

"Nah, I can't sing that well."
"Well, why don't you let me be the judge of that?"
"Because you're biased?" Alex squeaked.
"C'mon Jamie..." Oriana enthused, grabbing her CD. She crossed back to her stereo, popping it in. "Do Summer Nights. Please?"

"Will you do Sandy's part?"

"Why?"

"Because I'd feel dumb doing a duet as a solo."

"If you laugh or tell anyone, I'll kill you," she stated pointedly, cueing the CD.

"I won't tell anyone and I sure as Hell won't laugh."

"Deal," she decided, pushing the play button so the music filtered.

"As long as you don't laugh at me," Alex replied as the 50's beat played.

"Agreed..."

"Alright, here goes..." Alex took a deep breath before singing Danny's part. "Summer loving, had me a blast..."

Oriana noticed the ease in his voice as she closed her own eyes. She was somewhat terrified of letting Alex hear her voice. She never really sang with anyone but Teagan and that was just goofing around. Knowing that she promised Alex, she took a deep breath herself while sweetly countering, "Summer loving, happened so fast."

"I met a girl, crazy for me," Alex sang more freely, outwardly surprised at how amazing Oriana's voice.

"Met a boy, cute as could be," she continued, still somewhat shy.

"Summer days, drifting away to oh, oh, those summer nights," they sang together.

"Awe! Brother and sister bonding! How sweet!" Brian called with a sneer of sugary-sweetness, walking into the dance studio.

Oriana jumped in surprise, rushing toward the CD player. She immediately turned off the music, finding her heart thumping heavily against her ribcage. Naturally, she brought her cast arm close to her chest for protection. She struggled to maintain a cool appearance, glaring toward Brian. "What do you want?"

"Nothing from you. I just wanted to tell you two you need to get out of the house tomorrow night."

"What for? This is our house, too, you know," Alex replied, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Well, not tomorrow it isn't," Brian cut shortly, glaring at his younger brother. He didn't understand how he could have such a traitor for a brother. "Teagan and I are going to have the place to ourselves. Your asses are completely out of here, or else."

"What? Going to break my arm again?" Oriana murmured with distaste.

"Watch it, Riley. I mean it. I want both of you out of the house tomorrow. I don't give a shit where you go, but it won't be here."

"You're such a complete and utter asshole. You're not going to push me around anymore," Oriana growled, boldly stepping toward him.

"Or I could tell Teagan I was asking you politely to leave for tomorrow and you were just plain rude to me and wouldn't listen. You know she would believe me," Brian replied, not backing down.

"Or I could just get the whole team to step toward Teagan and explain how my arm really got broken."
"No, you wouldn't. And even then, I could just say it was an accident. Who will she really believe, Riley? Think about it. Do you really want to hurt her by having the team tell her that?"

"No--"

"Then stay out of the house tomorrow night and everything will be fine."

"Brian, this is way out of line," Alex growled.

"No, she's going to listen," Brian growled, grabbing the back of Oriana's neck where he had done so before. He pulled her close to him, glaring darkly.

"Damnit, Riley, listen to me now? I'm the man and you're the measly woman. You don't talk back to me. You listen and do what you're told. I say get the fuck out of the house tomorrow and you're going to listen. Understand?"

"Get away from me!" Oriana snapped, slamming her good arm into his gut so he would stumble away. Once she was freed, she briskly walked toward the basement stairs.

"I don't fucking think so," Brian went after her and grabbed the back of her shirt. He tugged hard, causing her to lose her balance, but she stayed on her feet. "This should make it even better for me. Telling Teagan you elbowed me in the stomach when I asked you to please leave the house tomorrow night won't look too good for you, will it?"

"Get off me," she stated slowly.

"Leave the house tomorrow night."

"You're worse than all the others."

"Leave the house tomorrow night," Brian repeated. He didn't care what she thought of him.

"You can't make me leave my own house," she gritted, yanking hard on her shirt, hearing it rip, but she was free.

"DAMNIT, RILEY! Don't make it worse for you!"

"How could I possibly make it worse, Richardson? What are you going to do? Beat me to a pulp? Make sure I'm bloody and swelling? Or sneak into my room and slit my throat? What?"

"Ooh, don't tempt me--"

"STOP IT! Brian, you are so over the line that your stupid ass can't see it," Alex interrupted, pushing Brian away from Oriana.

"If you don't leave the house tomorrow night, I swear to God, Oriana... What I'll do to you will make that broken arm seem like a honeymoon!" Brian growled, shoving Alex toward the stairs.

"Leave me alone!" Oriana yelped, rushing up the stairs.

"Go up to your room and lock the door!" Alex shouted after as he pushed Brian again. "Leave her alone, Brian! You're acting like a fucking psycho!"

"I'm not fucking play with you either, Alex. You're such a damn traitor. I'm your flesh and blood and here you are defending that little slut. Does she sleep with you on the side? I bet she's slutty enough for that... Sleeping with someone who's going to be her own brother--"

Alex didn't let him finish as his fist met with Brian's jaw. "SHUT THE FUCK UP, BRIAN! YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT Ry AND YOU NEVER WILL!"

"Brave... Really brave," Brian coughed, spitting blood from his mouth.

Alex refused to hear another word. He rushed up the stairs to find Oriana. His hand was throbbing with pain, but he didn't care. He was about to run up the second flight of stairs to reach their rooms, but noticed Oriana sitting on the couch in the living room. She had her cast arm clutched securely to her chest with her good hand cover her mouth. She was shaking violently, trying to control the sob that threatened to burst from her throat.

"Ry..." he rushed over to the couch and sat down next to her. "Sweetie, are you alright? Don't worry about Brian, you know that Howie, me and the team won't let that asshole hurt you."

"It's not that..." she lied, trying to make light of the situation. She could feel the tears falling against her hand. "He ripped my favorite shirt."
"You're lying. I mean, I know you're upset about your shirt. But you can't say that Brian didn't get to you, because he got to me," Alex placed a comforting arm around her shoulders.

"He doesn't mean anything by it."

"He doesn't? That's why he broke your arm, right? Because he didn't mean anything by it?"

"Maybe we should go out for the weekend..." Oriana suggested, changing the subject. She leaned carefully into Alex's arms, just wanting to feel safe.

"Where would you like to go?" Alex asked. trying to ignore the pain in his hand. It felt good to hit his no-good brother, but was regretting the repercussions.

"I always liked camping on the beach. I have all the supplies... Luke and I go all the time. We have our favorite spot. We can make a fire pit, I have a tent... It'd just be nice..."

"I've never camped on the beach before. It sounds like a lot of fun."

"Real brother and sister bonding..."

"Let's do it, then."

"Just you and me---"

"You're so lucky you didn't break my jaw, you stupid fucker," Brian's voice interrupted Oriana as he came up from the basement.

Oriana tried to stifle a laugh as Brian stumbled into the living room, clutching his aching jaw. Oriana could already see the bruise forming and she was proud of Alex. She noticed Brian try to lunge at Alex, but she quickly stood up to stop him. "If I promise to leave tomorrow, you've got to get the fuck out of our faces - now."

"You'll leave tomorrow?" Brian repeated, spitting some blood into his hand.

"If you get out of our faces right now."

"But---"

"One time offer," Oriana interrupted.

"You'd better take it before it's gone, BRO," Alex replied, clenching his aching hand.

"Whatever, just get out of the house by noon," Brian grunted, stumbling toward the stairs.

Oriana sighed with relief as she heard Brian's door slam. She turned toward Alex, motioning for him to show her his hand. She sighed softly, noticing the subtle swelling already occurring. "Nice punch, but you'll need to get ice on that."

"You don't know how good it felt to punch that asshole..." Alex trailed off as Oriana led him into the kitchen.

"I'll take your word for it," Oriana laughed, making him sit down at the kitchen table. She hummed softly, pulling out one of the many cold packs in the freezers. She crossed back to offer him the cold pack. "If it's still swelling, I'll ace bandage it. Okay?"

"Yes, Doctor Riley," he chuckled, placing it on his hand. "So, we're really going camping tomorrow?"
"As long as you want to."

"Hell yeah, I do. Getting out of this house will be nice."

"Nicer than you realize," Oriana agreed, glancing up toward a clock as the kitchen door open. She cursed openly, realizing she was running late for the dress fitting. She had to meet Teagan, Marie, and Cassandra at the mall. "Damnit!"

"What? What's wrong?"

"Guess she's not happy to see me..." Howie trailed.

"No!" Oriana groaned yet again, glancing down at her ripped shirt. The women of the family would never stand for her grubby appearance. She also hadn't talked to her mother since the argument, which made her highly nervous. She took a deep breath, tugging at the shirt before glancing toward Alex's shirt. "Jamie, switch me shirts real quick."

"What--"

"I'm late for the dress fitting, I need your shirt!"

"But---"

"C'mon, Jamie! Please!" Oriana blurted, tugging her shirt free. She offered it toward Alex, not even realizing Howie stood behind them.

"Alright, alright!" Alex yelped, pulling off his own shirt and handing it to her.

"Thank you so much!" Oriana blurted, tugging it on. She immediately leaned over and pressed a kiss to Alex's cheek. "I'll see you in a little bit, okay? Stay away from Brian."

"If he comes around, I can't promise--"

"Jamie, please. Get out of the house if he aggravates you. Don't make it any worse for yourself."

"I'll be fine," Alex promised, glancing behind Oriana to see Howie. He knew that Howie would stay around for awhile to keep him calm. "Just have fun at the fitting."

"Yeah, right," she snorted. She started to turn, but immediately whipped back around. "Keep your arm elevated."

"Yes, ma'am. Just get going, or you'll be late!"

"I'm already late," she sighed, turning just to bump into Howie. She staggered back in surprise, realizing he had probably seen her wearing her regular bra. She blushed furiously at the idea. "I...uh... I'm sorry. I completely forgot that I had to do this stupid dress fitting... You should hang out with Jamie today... Oh, and tomorrow won't be good either."

"What's going on tomorrow?" Howie asked with a raised eyebrow.

"I'm planning on joining a nudist colony," she answered, reaching for her keys.

"And I can't join, too?"

"Seeing her bra wasn't enough?" Alex snickered.

"We'll talk about this later, I have to go," Oriana shot Alex a look before giving Howie a shy kiss.

"Ria, you're beautiful," Howie commented, running his hand against her cheek as she pulled back.

"I've really got to go!" she blurted, rushing forward to the door. She opened it, but hesitated yet again. She turned back with a groan, "The reason this weekend is bad is because Jamie and I are going camping on the beach."

"Brother and sister bonding? That's cute," Howie chuckled.

"Dress fitting?" Alex called.

"Shit!" Oriana groaned, running out the door. "Gabby's going to kill me!"

"I'd pay anything to see her at that dress fitting," Alex laughed, motioning for Howie to join him.

"Well, you'll be able to see her at Homecoming and Prom in a dress, so you won't have to wait long," Howie smirked, sitting down at the table. He looked down at Alex's hand and frowned slightly. "What happened to your hand?"

"Brian..." Alex trailed, holding the ice pack firmly against his tender hand. He made a face as a stinging sensation erupted. "Ry doing some of the choreography to Grease downstairs and then she insisted I try out for Danny. She has a killer voice, you know? But anyway, Brian came downstairs bitching about us needing to get out of the house tomorrow. Ry tried to stand up to him, but he grabbed Ry by the neck. I got him off her and she ran upstairs... He started saying this disgusting stuff and I just lost it. My fist landed in his jaw."

"Damn," Howie whistled, lifting up the ice pack for a moment to see the damage. "You hit him good."

"He fucking deserved it," Alex hissed, "Calling her a whore and shit, saying he was going to slit her throat."

"He said WHAT?!" Howie's eyes grew dark. "I'll kill him. I'll fucking kill him!"

Alex winced at Howie's quick burst of rage, knowing he probably shouldn't have said anything. He groaned inwardly, running a hand across his face. He wondered how hard Oriana would deck him if Howie spilled that he knew. He swallowed his anger, trying to remain calm. "Ry just said we should go out for the weekend to spare all the grief. She suggested we go camping on the beach. I've never done that and she said she has all the stuff... So, we're leaving tomorrow around noon..."

"You're leaving for the entire weekend?"

"A special place Luke and her go all the time, like an hour away..."

"So I won't see her the whole weekend?"

"No, we're staying till late Monday."

"Oh... protect her for me, alright?"

Why do you look so upset?"

"Because I'm not used to being a part from her for so long."

"You just started dating her," Alex laughed, leaning back on his chair. He was shocked by the crestfallen look upon Howie's face. He had never seen Howie so stricken by a simple romantic relationship before.

"So? Doesn't change the way I feel," Howie sighed, running a hand through his locks.

"She's not going to get hurt."

"I know, but I can't help worrying."

"You're really that scared?" Alex asked honestly.

"Your brother is crazy. I don't doubt anything with him anymore."

"We're going to be an hour away---"

"I know, Alex. I trust you to protect her, but I'm still going to be scared, alright?"

"But---"

"Listen, you both have fun this weekend, just be careful."

"Howie, what I'm trying to say is---"

"What?"

"Damn, why don't you just ask if you can come along? I bet she's probably thinking the same thing! The only chance you guys have to spend extra time together is on the weekends."

"I thought it was a sibling thing--"

"We're always together, Howie. The only true reason we're leaving is because Brian basically threatened Oriana and she didn't want to get hurt. Besides, I've always thought of you as a brother. It'd be great for you to come along. We'd have a lot of fun," Alex enthused.

"Are you sure?"

"No, I'm lying," Alex rolled his eyes, pushing on Howie's shoulder. "Yeah, I'm sure. Come camping with us."

"Shouldn't I ask Oriana---"

"She'll want you to come, don't worry."

"So I'm just showing up tomorrow and scaring the daylights out of her?"

"Just about."

"If she hates the idea, can I blame it all on you?"

"Sure, I'm used to getting all the blame," Alex laughed, checking on his hand. "But she won't hate the idea."

"And you're sure you don't mind? Because I'm dating her and all? I mean, you're going to be her brother. You deserve to have some alone time with her... You won't mind me butting in?" Howie struggled, hearing the front door open and close.

“Dude, I don't mind at all. I live with the girl, it's not like we haven't bonded yet. So come with us," Alex looked up to see his father walking into the kitchen. "Hey, Dad."

"Hey, Son!" Kevin greeted brightly, affectionately kissing the top of his son's head. He smiled toward Howie. "Did Oriana already leave for the mall? Cassandra was having a panic attack, swearing that if Oriana was late that the Heavens might just crash down on this good earth."

"Yeah, she just left about ten minutes ago, swearing about being late. Sounds like her and Oriana are a lot alike," Howie replied, smiling as well. He had always thought of Kevin like a second father.

"I just hope Oriana and Teagan actually talk to Cassandra..." Kevin sighed, reaching into the fridge to pull out a soda. His eyes went wide for a moment when he grabbed a Pepsi, he quickly shoved it back into the fridge and grabbed a Mug Root beer. "Oriana would probably chop off my hand if I took that."

"Definitely," Alex and Howie replied in unison.

"How is she doing?" Kevin asked, leaning against the counter. Oriana had quickly reverted back into her shell. He had hoped that Oriana would trust him better, but she seemed to disappear just the same.

"Doing alright. I think it's just really hard for her not being able to dance or play football," Alex replied.

"Wish she would talk to me. We could swap so many football stories."

"Just give her time, Dad."

"I guess so... How’s the dating going with her, Howie? Any need to break any fingers, yet?" Kevin joked, already quite protective of the girl that would be his stepdaughter.

"Me?" Howie squeaked. "No, everything has been going fine. No fingers need to be broken."

"Is he telling the truth?" Kevin asked Alex.

"Dad, this is Howie you're talking about. He would never do anything bad to Riana."

"Okay," Kevin consented. "Where's your brother?"

"Who cares," Alex muttered, pressing the ice harder on his hand.

"Excuse me?"

"Upstairs."

"Okay, go get him. We need to get to the tux shop. I promised Cassie that we'd get this done while she's getting the girls fitted. Howie, would you like to come along?"

"Are you sure? That's usually a father/son bonding thing."

"Aren't you a son? You're here often enough."

"I know, but--"

"And, besides, since you've been spending so much time with Oriana, I bet you'll be thinking about tuxes and white dresses soon," Kevin joked, watching Howie pale dramatically. "Um...you alright?"

"He's fine, Dad. Just a little tired from his long day, that's all," Alex spoke for Howie, kicking his shin under the table as a sign to snap out of it.

"What'd you do today that's got you so tired?"

"Riana just lead me all around town, so I can see what she does between football and school."

"Oh..." Kevin trailed with a smirk. "Just don't plan on eloping. Alright?"

"No, sir. But I think marriage is far away in the picture."

"But a possibility?"

"I'm hoping."

"Oh Lord," Kevin breathed, tossing his soda can into the nearby trashcan. He walked forward to ruffle Howie's curls. "I know nothing if her mother asks."

"Thanks, Paw. But if Cass comes to kill me, I'm ratting you out," Howie joked.

"I want your asses in my car in ten minutes."

*~*~*


"Mom! These dresses are so beautiful!" Teagan squealed towards Marie as she carefully put on the one specified for her. "Can I keep this for Prom?"

"I don't think Maid of Honor dresses are good for that, Baby," Marie chuckled.

"Then what am I going to wear for Prom?" Teagan pouted, admiring her reflection in the mirror. The seamstress had yet to wander over to finish the alterations, so Teagan just loved spinning with the mermaid skirt flaring. She knew now she wanted a deep pink dress for Prom. Brian would go absolutely wild.

"I thought that was Brian's job?" Marie replied, eyes tearing up a little at how grown up her little girl looked in the dress.

"No, it's my job to pick out the dress, Mom!"

"But he's buying it, isn't he? I just think it would be odd for you to wear a dress from a wedding to your Senior Prom."

"But it's so pretty."

"Teagan Gabrielle. No."

"Who is going to go out Prom dress shopping with me then, Mom? It's a few months away. Tons of girls already have their dresses picked. I need to get a move on!" Teagan stressed with a growl, turning from the mirror. "I need someone who knows me inside and out--"

"Holy shit, am I late?!" Oriana yelped, rushing into the lovely boutique. She stumbled into the shop in a daze, refusing to be grounded for a simple mistake. She stood straight when she came upon Teagan and Marie, knowing she had to look like a complete disaster.

"Only five minutes," Teagan replied. "You're lucky Ma isn't here right now. She kept saying the Heavens would crash into the Earth if you were late."

"She's not here?" Oriana whispered, breathing a sigh of great relief.

"She went to call home to see if you had left yet."
"You already talked to her, didn't you?" Oriana asked.

"Talked to her about what?" Teagan asked innocently, looking down at her dress.

"About what happened? You're okay with her now, aren't you?" Oriana continued, not liking it when Teagan insisted on playing dumb.

Teagan shook her head. "I haven't said a word to her since we got here. Mom threatened to ground me, but I don't care."

"Oh..." Oriana grew quiet for a moment, staring down at Teagan's outfit. Yet again, Teagan remained to look absolutely wonderful, even without the alterations. Oriana found it hard at times not to be jealous. She sighed softly, however, wrinkling her nose at the deep rose pink color. "That's what we have to wear?"

"Yep. See, it's not so bad, is it? At least it's not like an Easter bunny pink," Teagan twirled in a circle. "You'll look amazing in the dress, Riana."

"I refuse to wear that abomination."

"WHAT is so bad about a dress?"

"It's pink."

"Yeah. What's wrong with pink?"

"It's pink!"

"There's nothing wrong with pink!"

"Everything is wrong with pink."

"It's for one day, it won't kill you."

"It very well—" Oriana faltered when she noticed her mother walking into the boutique. She immediately snatched the dress the seamstress was holding out. She bared a painful grin. "Is a beautiful dress and I just can't wait to try it on!"

Teagan raised an eyebrow and gave her mother a questioning look. Marie just shrugged as Oriana rushed into the dressing room. "Mom, what was that?"

"Where's my daughter?" Cassandra blurted, walking forward.

Teagan turned to look at herself in the mirror, ignoring Cassandra.

"She's trying on the dress, Cassie. Just got here a couple of minutes ago," Marie replied, frowning at Teagan's behavior.

"Guess the Heavens aren't crashing into the ground today," Cassandra sighed with relief, sitting down next to Marie on the couch. She glanced over at Teagan, who swirled in the mirror yet again. She smiled softly, "You look lovely, Teagan."

Teagan just nodded somewhat, continuing to look in the mirror. She was still angry at Cassandra for hurting Oriana after the football accident and yelling at herself. Marie sighed heavily, biting her lip. "I'm afraid she still won't talk, Cassie..."

"I apologized profusely to her," Cassandra explained softly, biting down on her inner cheek. She did feel foolish for scolding Teagan, but she felt absolutely awful for hurting Oriana. Her daughter hadn't even looked at her in over a week let alone spoke with her. She felt just like the crummy boyfriends she had in the past.

"I know you have. The one and only thing she inherited from her father was his stubbornness. Try talking to her again today," Marie patted her friend’s hand.

"Didn't you just see me try?"

"Go and try again."

Cassandra nodded softly, pushing herself up from the sofa. She walked toward the mirrors, gently placing a hand against Teagan's bare shoulder. "Teagan, Sweetie, I really want to talk to you. I understand that you're upset about the other day. I completely understand that. I'm extremely upset at myself for what happened."

"Ma, you really hurt Riana... I've never seen you do that, ever. Do you know how scary that was?" Teagan whispered.

"I know. It was very scary. I don't justify what I did at all. I really don't know what got into me in the first place. It was extremely wrong and I can't stop apologizing for how I mistreated both of you. I never intended on hurting Oriana."

Teagan turned around to face Cassandra, tears in her eyes. "Don't take away football, dance and the Center. They mean too much to her."

"I didn't mean any of what I said. I was just so scared about her getting hurt. I've never seen her so badly... Okay, I have, but that was with other things. Falling down and playing. I just didn't expect to get such shocking news. I won't take any of that away from her. I promise."

"I'm sorry I've been ignoring you, Ma. I was... I don't know. A lot has been going on lately."

"Just don't do it again," Cassandra whispered, pulling Teagan in for a tight hug.

"I won't." Teagan hugged her back.

"Now am I allowed to say that you look lovely in that dress?"

"Do I really look lovely?" Teagan asked with a blushing smile as they looked in the mirror.

"The prettiest girl on the block," Cassandra approved, running her fingers through Teagan's dark locks.

"I wanted to wear this to Prom, but Mom won't let me. You'll let me, right Ma?"

"Um..." Cassandra hesitated, glancing back to see the stern glare from Marie. She immediately turned back to Teagan, offering a smile. "Why don't we send you girls out for a weekend? We'll let you take Friday off of school and we'll fly you to New York, or where ever you like to get Designer Dresses? We'll let you stay in a hotel and do your own shopping with our money?"

"Are you serious? New York? Ma that would be awesome!" Teagan squealed, hugging Cassandra again.

"Any big city you'd like to go to," Cassandra promised.

"New York, definitely New York!"

"You have to get Oriana to go with you, though."
"That'll take me awhile..." Teagan frowned as she looked up to see Oriana peek her head out of the dressing room. "Trouble! Let's see the dress!"

"Do you have any idea what kind of word I'm searching for in my vocabulary at the moment?" Oriana gritted, still standing behind the white door.

"Umm... 'Yes, I'll let you see'?"

"More like, 'No Way In Freaking Hell'!"

"Oh, come on! You'll look great, I know it!"

"No!"

"You want me to drag you out of there? Because I will, Oriana Ryan!"

"I look like Barbie and damnit that bitch does not have everything!"

"Get out here now!"

"I'd rather be a Skipper..." Oriana grumbled, slowly stepping away from the door. She immediately tensed all the muscles in her body, not impressed with the way she looked. But others could see the truth. It seemed as if the dress were made for her. The dark rose pink coloring matched enhanced her light cinnamon colored skin and allowed her honey blonde curls to glow beneath the light. The low cut mermaid flared skirt enhanced the curves of her lower body as the tight bodice enhanced the upper curves of her Coca-Cola bottle figure.

"Oh my gosh... girl, you look fantastic! So beautiful" Teagan gushed.

"No," Oriana grumbled, trying to cover her exposed lower stomach.

"Yes you do!"

"I look like a hideous pink wild beast on search of it's ten thousandth meal!"

"You do not, you dork!"

"Oriana, you look amazing," Marie replied as she stood next to Teagan.

"Moms, no I don't."

"Are you ever going to listen to anyone when they give you a compliment?"

"I just think I look disgusting."

"Why?!"

"Gabby's the one that's used to all this stuff. She's the pretty one. I'm just the goof-off. The girl that wished she was a boy," Oriana tried to explain, stepping toward the mirrors. She attentively smoothed her hands down the soft silk of the skirt.

"But you're the pretty one as well. Just because you have a lot of guy friends and play football doesn't mean you can't be beautiful."

"I don't ever feel beautiful, Moms."

"But you should right now. And you always should."

"It's your job to say that," Oriana frowned, allowing her hands to fall against her well-toned stomach. All the years of dancing and sports had paid off within her looks.

"No, it's the truth," Marie placed her hands on Oriana's shoulders.

"I'm going to look like a complete fool standing next to Teagan in the wedding party," Oriana murmured, pulling all her curls to the top of her head.

"Oh, stop it, You will not, Both of you will look gorgeous and I don't want to hear another objection to that, Oriana."

"But—"

"No buts."

"How am I going to show my face in public— Hey! Get your hands away from there!" Oriana blurted in surprise, jumping as a man started to adjust the fabric near her hips.

"Honey, that's the tailor! He's altering the dress so it fits you perfectly."

"If it fits anymore perfectly I'm going to be staring in a Porn."

"Riana, just be patient and let the man do his job."
Oriana grumbled some kind of reply, arching her back slightly. Her muscles tightened quickly when he ran his hands down her hips to make sure the silk lay perfectly against her skin. She looked at Teagan in disbelief, noticing Teagan lavishing in the attention of her cute tailor.

"You going to talk to your other daughter?" Marie stressed, glancing back at Cassandra. Marie smiled softly, noticing the misty glaze covering Cassandra's dark blue eyes. It was the first time the women had truly seen Oriana in all her glory as a natural woman. True, they had seen her grace in the dance outfits and recitals, but this was different. Now she stood in all her glory as an honestly beautiful woman in the soft lighting of mystery.

"Marie, she looks so beautiful..." Cassandra whispered.

"Hard to believe that's your little girl, huh?" Marie guessed.

"I never thought I would see her wear a dress like this. Not even on her wedding day. I just hope she sees that, because it's true," Cassandra wiped away some stray tears. "Do you think she'll accept my apology?"

"There's only one way to find out..."

"I know," she sighed, walking over to her daughter. "Oriana?"

Oriana turned to catch her mother's eyes. She jumped in surprise, yelping as a pin slipped and pricked her hip. She glared at the man, who shrugged helplessly. She could feel her cheeks burn with fear as her mother stood in front of her. "I only went to the football game and there was no way to back out on the Center. Corey and Catie were wondering where I was... And then I had to stop by Margie's and tell her I'm injured. I'm sorry, Momma--"

"Don’t you apologize about anything. If anyone needs to, it's me. Riana, Sweetie, I'm so sorry about the way I acted when you came home from the hospital. I was scared, my little girl was seriously hurt. I didn't mean to hurt you. I love you way too much to ever hurt you, and I didn't react the right way," Cassandra ran a hand through Oriana's ponytail. "And I didn't mean to scare you. A lot has been going on with the wedding and everything, and I snapped because I took everything on at once. It was wrong for me to even grab you the way I did. I'm sorry."

"It's not a big deal, Momma—"

"If it wasn't a big deal, we wouldn't have avoided each other these past few days."

"I just didn't want to upset you again."

"It upset me more not being able to talk to you."

"I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry, too." she kissed her daughter's forehead. “You look really beautiful."

"That's what everyone keeps telling me..."

"Maybe because it's true?"

"Or everyone's drunk?"

"Oriana."

"Or everyone is telling the truth," Oriana sighed, noticing the tailor step away from her with approval. He smacked his lips against his fingers, holding them quickly to the air as if she were a masterpiece. She rolled her eyes, stepping off the stage surrounded by mirrors, facing Teagan. "We look ridiculous."

"We look PRETTY!" Teagan corrected with a laugh. "Pink looks so good on you, Riana."

"I look like Barbie in a Pepto Bismol Container."

"This isn't the color of Pepto Bismol."

"It is in my book."

Teagan crinkled her nose. "Is not."

"I'm not fighting with you," Oriana decided, traveling back to the dressing rooms with Teagan. She stared at her reflection once more before entering her private room. She twirled for a moment, offering a small smile. "If I had to choose a dress design though, this wouldn't be too bad."

"Hey, speaking of dress design. Ma said she would let us skip school on a Friday, fly us to New York to find Prom dresses and let us stay in a hotel for the weekend. Is that awesome or what?" Teagan asked, popping her head out of her dressing room.

"Prom dresses?" Oriana countered, stepping into her own dressing room.

"Yeah. You're going to Prom with Howie, right? And Homecoming?"

"Who said that?"

"I did?"

"I didn't say I was going."

"But why wouldn't you?"

"Dresses?"

"You're wearing one now, aren't you?"

"That's for my mother's wedding!"

"So? You're still wearing it. Besides, it can be any color you want for the other dances."

"Homecoming is just before Momma's wedding."

"Homecoming isn't as important as Prom. You could always borrow one of my dresses and no one would know."

"Yeah, right," Oriana snorted, rolling her eyes. She leaned out to hand the top and bottom to the nearby seamstress before working on pulling on her t-shirt and shorts. "The chicks at our school would spot it in a New York Minute. Besides, I promised Mac I'd get together and do something with him over Homecoming---"

"MAC? He's a conceited jackass who insulted your boyfriend!" Teagan objected as she bolted out of her dressing room.

"He'd be a lot of help if I get into Duke---"

“He said Howie was too dumb to get in! Why would you want to hang out with someone like that? You'll do fine in Duke without his help."

"Howie doesn't even want to go to Duke---"

"How do you know?"

"Because we already talked about it."

"He literally said he doesn't want to go to Duke?"

"In so many words."

"Yep, that means he didn't," Teagan took Oriana's hand and walked to where their mother's were.

"That's not the point!"

"Why do you even want to hang out with Mac when you have Howie?"

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Howie's way better than Mac because he doesn't insult people?"

"Teagan---"

"I don't like Mac, and I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him."

"What I'm t---"

"What, Riana?"

Oriana took a deep breath and completed a long drawn sentence, "I was just trying to bullshit you, but I really meant to tell you that I'm going to the Homecoming Dance and the Prom with Howie. And yes I'm planning on wearing two different dresses. No, I don't need to borrow one of your dresses because next weekend I'm taking Corey and Catie to the mall to shop for the dress. Damn!"

"Why do you always do that me?! I feel stupid now!"

"Because I try to tell you the truth, then you just start going off, but I am supposed to visit with Mac during Homecoming. Ace insisted."

"Ace is an asshole for insisting when he knows you're with Howie."

"I didn't even tell Howie yet."

"Are you going to?"

"Going to tell him?" Oriana questioned in confusion as Cassandra paid for the dresses and questioned when they would be available for final delivery.

"Yes."

"I don't know..."

“Why would you listen to Ace about hanging out with Mac anyway? If you don't want to, don't."

"Because I do owe it to Mac. I mean, he was really nice to me when he was on the team. He's been calling all the time to check up on me. He'd be so pissed if he came home and I refused. You know?" Oriana tried to explained. "It's not like I'm going to leave Howie for Mac. I really like Howie."

"Then explain it like that to Howie," Teagan replied as they left the bridal store.

"You think he'll be upset?"

"Not if you tell him the way you just told me."
"I'll think about it."

"Remember that he would have a right to be pissed if he found out you hung out with Mac and didn't tell him."

"What are the chances he'd find out?"

"With the way the guys on the team talk... pretty good."

"Damnit," Oriana groaned.

*~*~*


"What happened to your jaw, Brian?" Kevin called in question as his sons stepped out of the dressing areas in sharp tuxes. He had taken great care in selecting tuxes that the boys could wear again for classy events. They were a modern style without the cummerbund, offering a sharp rose pink tie to match the girls' dresses. Alex seemed pleased with the apparel as he stepped onto the stage for the tailor to make the necessary adjustments. But Brian lingered before stepping onto the opposite stage, scowling as he continued to hold his tender jaw.

"Ran into Alex's fist," Brian muttered as the tailor adjusted the tux to the right measurements.

"What?" Kevin coughed in surprise, sitting up from the couch he had shared with Howie.

"Brian was being an ass and calling Oriana names. So I punched him," Alex replied simply, shrugging his shoulders. He didn't really care if his father punished him or not; it still felt good to hit Brian.

"Calling Oriana names?"

"He was calling her a slut and a whore."

"Brian Thomas," Kevin growled.

"Dad, that's all she is!"

"She is not!" Howie and Alex yelled in unison.

"How the Hell would you know what she is, Brian? Do you have proof?" Kevin objected, feeling an immense sense of disappointment toward his son. He had never seen his son stoop so low.

"People at school have told me! She's a fucking disease--"

"Brian, watch your mouth," Kevin snapped, standing up from the couch. He noticed the tailors increase their productivity as his hands curled into fists. "How can you say that about someone, Brian? Damnit, you haven't even sat down with that girl for ten minutes to know her. All you do is have negative comments toward a girl that's probably one of the greatest people you will meet in your life. Have you no compassion?"

"Obviously you don't have any for me when you decided to propose to CASSANDRA. You didn't even ask if it was okay! We were just fine without her and her slutty daughter!" Brian stood his ground. He refused to be broken down by his father.

"We were not fine without Cassandra and Oriana. Damnit, Brian, why don't you get your head out of your ass? Have you ever seen your brother so open with the people at school? Since meeting Oriana, he's been so happy-go-lucky. He loves going to school and he loves spending time with her. Cassandra is like the mother you two never had a chance to have! And Cassandra has changed me into a completely different person. I love her and her daughter and I'm willing to bet that Alex feels the same. The only person miserable in this family is you, because you can't stand sharing the spotlight."

"Then why have me in the wedding, Dad? Huh?"

"Because whether you like it or not. You're a part of this family."

“Maybe I'll just ruin the wedding, then."

"Maybe you'll be grounded for life."

"Oooh, Dad'll ground me for life. Boo fucking hoo," Brian mocked his father, rolling his light blue eyes.

Kevin stood there for a moment, completely shocked by his son's outrageous demeanor. He shook his head in disbelief, feeling the anger boil against his heart. Without any thought, he reached out and smacked Brian sharply on the neck. "Get your fucking act together before I get back out here to get my suit tailored."

"Fuck you," Brian muttered as Kevin walked back into the dressing room. He rubbed his sore neck, not looking at Howie nor Alex.

"Why can't you just suck up your damn pride and be happy for your father? He found someone to love, which is more than some people can say," Howie boldly stated, crossing his arms against his chest.
"Like you?" Brian snorted.

"Excuse me, I have Oriana. Thank you very much. At least I don't blow important games trying to make someone else look stupid. You do know that they're talking about kicking you off the team, right?"

"You do know that they're talking about how Mac is going to score with Oriana over Homecoming, right?" Brian asked with a sly smirk, fixing his tie.

"He's not going to score shit with her, you fucking bastard."

"That's not what Ace is saying, figuring she's going out on a date with him during Homecoming weekend. Ace already asked Shayla out to dinner with them, then they're going to that romantic spot on the beach..."

"Brian, I swear to God, you need to shut up right now."

"You can ask any fucking player on that team. They're going to tell you the same thing. Mac is fixing to win himself a little pre-Duke nookie with the sleeziest chick in the fucking school."
Before Howie could stop himself, he was off the couch and slamming his body against Brian's. The force pushed them back into the mirror, cracking it. "You fucking asshole, shut up!"

"It's the fucking truth!" Brian snapped, throwing Howie backward. "She's going to jump into the backseat with him, because she doesn't care who she spreads her legs to. Haven't you heard about her fucking reputation at that school? Or are you just waiting for your own score with her? Last time I fucking checked, Alex was already in that pool!"

Alex rushed over and pushed Brian away from Howie. "DAD! BRIAN'S STARTING A FIGHT WITH HOWIE!"

It took only a moment for Kevin to rush out from his dressing room in his boxer shorts and tank top. He glanced to see Brian tackle Alex and Howie, throttling them with his fists. Kevin cursed, lunging for his son, throwing him against a nearby wall. "What the Hell is wrong with you, Brian Thomas?!"

"Everything! Fucking let me go!" Brian struggled against Kevin's grasp.

"No, I'm not letting you go!" Kevin barked, holding Brian firmly against the wall.

"YOU ALREADY DID A LONG TIME AGO!"

"What the—"

"I'll be in the damn car!" Brian huffed, finally pushing Kevin's arms away. He glared toward the tailors, stomping into the dressing room. He chucked the suit as far as he possibly could, getting dressed even faster. He then stormed out of the dressing room, slamming the door to the Tux Store with bitter energy.

Kevin groaned softly as the tailors eyed him with confusion. He turned toward the other two boys, offering hands to help them up. "Are you okay, Howie?"

"He needs a rude awakening, Kevin. He kept egging me on, saying that Oriana's going to cheat on me, that she's a slut... but yeah, I'm okay," Howie held a hand to his temple, where Brian had struck.

"Alex?"

"Can we disown him?" Alex groaned, holding his cheek.

"Why don't you get changed and we'll just go home. I'll come back later to finish with the tuxes..."

"I still think we should disown him," Alex muttered as he walked back to change.