- Text Size +
Chapter 41 – A Step Closer

Oriana yawned softly as she trudged up the stairs to her room to bring down her bags. It was already nearing noon and Cassandra was soon to call the cab. Teagan was spending her last minutes with Brian while Howie was still showering. Oriana thought nothing of it as she walked past the first room of the hallway, hearing the soft tinkering of an unfamiliar song. She stopped in her tracks, slowly turning, recognizing the room had been turned into Kevin's music studio. She winced slightly as the deeper notes filtering, realizing it wasn't the right pitch for the style he was going for. She gently eased the already cracked door open, peering her head inside. "Kevin?"
Kevin stopped playing and turned around with a smile. "Hey, Oriana. Are you excited for New York?"

"More excited to get away from the hysteria," she answered honestly, hesitating at the doorway.

"I hear you," he agreed, waving his hand gently. "Come on in."

"You...um...sure?"

"Of course. I'm just trying to figure out this new song, but it doesn't sound right."

"Yeah... I heard..." Oriana trailed, stepping further in. She stood behind him, admiring the spacious room, though now it was cluttered with various pieces of equipment and instruments suitable for writing songs. She let her eyes glance around the walls however, noticing all the pictures of the boys growing up. She smiled softly, glancing toward the desk of lyrics, but paused when she noticed a familiar photograph. It was the professional photograph herself and her mother had taken during her Graduation Photo Shoot. They were standing out in the ocean waves, Cassandra's arms thrown affectionately around Oriana's shoulders, both smiling like they were sharing a special secret. "Um... Why do you have that photo?"

"Your mom gave it to me. I brought it in here for inspiration... ever since I put the photo in here I've made about six songs. But this one I'm writing right now," he played the ending where the deeper notes came in. "It's not flowing yet."

"Inspiration?" she asked in confusion, carefully stepping beside him to eye the music. She made sure that she did nothing to provoke his feelings of lust, like other boyfriends had accused. She carefully folded her arms against her chest, tapping her foot to figure the beat.

"The boys’ pictures always inspire me, because I think of all the great times we've had. When you and your mom came into my life, I knew that I would get even more inspiration."

"Why didn't you just ask for a picture of Momma?" she asked again, not understanding how she could have caused any inspiration. She had been hateful toward the man, never giving him a chance.

"Because you're part of my life, too. Regardless of how rocky it's been, I still think of you as a daughter, Oriana."

"But I'm not your dau---"

"I know you're not my blood daughter. But you're still a daughter to me."

"Would you adopt me if you had the chance...?" she trailed.

"If it was alright with you, I would do it in a heartbeat."

Oriana nodded softly with contemplation, biting down on her lower lip. That was always her first test question with the boyfriends who confessed they were serious with their mother. Most had laughed in her face, only to attack her during the night. Yet, Kevin was sincere. She glanced down at the bench he was sitting on. Kevin quickly picked up on her thoughts, sliding down so she could sit beside him. "So... How much inspiration did I bring to these six songs? Any about me?" she joked, carefully sitting herself beside him.
"One song was about the conflict we all had at your birthday party... another was when you got hurt at football and you asked me to stay with you," Kevin confessed with a smile.

"Really?" she asked in surprise, not expecting him to answer.

"Really. My family is a huge part of my music, so a lot of the songs are about them or events that happen."

Oriana nodded yet again, glancing toward the scribbles of words on the sheet of music. She craned her neck for a moment, tapping her foot yet again. "What's this one about?"

"It's about the wedding and how we're all going to be united as a family... but I'm kind of stuck on the notes."

"You’re singing it to Momma at the wedding?"

"If I can get it done."

"I think if you..." Oriana swallowed her words quickly, not wanting to critique his music. She knew how quick a man's backhand could be to a smart mouth. "Can I suggest something?"

"By all means. I'm up to suggestions," Kevin replied, letting Oriana have full access to the piano.

"Um...from what I heard, it was really great, except for these last notes to end the song..." Oriana explained, motioning toward the last notes on his paper. She played what he had decided to do, then waited for him to nod before she continued. "But I think it'd sound better if you took it a higher note, just a step up..." She quickly played the same flourish of notes with just one hand, offering the beautiful tune a simple melody. She glanced to Kevin for confirmation, playing it again as she added his lyrics with her powerful voice, "It's such a fragile thread that binds us all together under one locket of love, so I make this solemn promise to handle us all with loving care."

"Oriana... that was absolutely perfect!" Kevin enthused, scribbling down the notes she played for him. He smiled happily, knowing the song was now finished in time for the wedding. "I didn't know you had such a beautiful voice."

"You really liked my idea?" she asked with surprise, never assuming that she would hear such praise from her mother's love interest.

"I loved it!"

"You're sure?"

"I'm sure," he fixed the Written by Kevin Richardson to have it say Written by Kevin Richardson and Oriana Riley.

"Hey!" she exclaimed in surprise. "What are you doing?"

"Giving you credit for my song."

"I don't need it. I just fixed a few simple notes... You would have done it anyway. Please, don't," she immediately blurted, not wanting to take any credit for such a beautiful song.

"No, I wouldn't have done it..." Kevin chided, holding the music away from her reaching hand. "You deserve credit for doing that. It was just a beautiful performance and you have a real talent in music... You have to take this credit... Hell, Oriana, I might even make you sing it at the wedding."

"No!" she blurted in surprise.

"Why not? It would be perfect if you sang the song instead of me--"

"It's about your feelings, Kevin. I didn't write the song. It's your inspiration... You're emotions... Plus, Momma loves your voice so much. You should sing it."

Kevin thought for a moment. "How would you feel about singing with me?"

"Huh?" she deadpanned, feeling her stomach churn at the mere thought. She hardly shared her voice with anyone, except the kids at the Center, her mother, and Teagan. She even sang softly in choir to keep a low profile, because it was Teagan's chance to shine. She hated the idea of others hearing her.

"Singing with me at the wedding. I know Teagan and your mom have told me you don't like people hearing you sing a lot of the time... but I think your mom would love it if you and I sang this song. Your voice is great, so don't tell me it's not."

"The guys would hound me forever... I can't---"

"Why would they hound you? They would be so blown away by your voice that they wouldn't do anything but give you compliments."

"That's Teagan's area..."

"Why can't it be yours, too?"

"Because it just can't be..."

"But why?"

"It's just not a good idea---"

"I know your mom would love it if you sang with me. And so would I. Oriana, everyone would love it."

"Howie's going to be there... And then Alex... The football team... I'm in choir with most of them and I never... I just..."

"Will you at least seriously think about it?"

"Yeah--"

"I mean SERIOUSLY. Because I would be very honored if my stepdaughter sang with me at my wedding."

"I'll SERIOUSLY think about it," she promised. "But I really think it's your place to sing your own song that you wrote for Momma."

"Thank you," he smiled, standing up. "I'm glad you came in here, because I have a present for you."

"Me?" she asked in surprise, her jaw slightly unhinged. Never had one of the boyfriends gave her a present that didn't cause pain.

"Yeah, you," he chuckled, walking over to his desk. He pulled out a small box and came back to the piano. "There you go. I hope you like it."

"What's it for?"

"It's for being special?" Kevin guessed, handing her the small box.

"Try again?" Oriana countered, pulling the purple bow off the small box.
"Because I wanted to give my stepdaughter something special to wear at the wedding... I know it's a little girly, but I'll give you some money to grab something fun at New York on me, too, alright?"

"You're serious?" she whispered in surprise, almost afraid to open the small box.

"I'm totally serious," he chuckled. "I just hope you like what I got you."
"Jewelry?" she guessed with an innocent smile.

"Yeah, it's jewelry. But open it to see what kind."

"Okay..." she replied softly, opening the slender box. Her eyes went wide with surprise as the diamonds glittered brightly in the lighting. Kevin had purchased the Past, Present, Future Diamond Necklace and Earrings for Oriana to wear. "You're... This... Me?"

"Yes, that's for you. Do you like it?" he asked with a smile, knowing her reaction was good.

"It's really pretty and I love silver... I mean... Thank you. You really didn't have to do this..."

"I did because I wanted to. I know Howie is probably going to spoil you with gifts as the relationship gets serious, but I thought I would get my gift in before that. I'm glad you like it."

"Howie's not going to do that..."

"Why wouldn't he?"

"Because... I mean... He wouldn't do that, would he?"

"I know that he likes you a lot, and he's the kind of guy to buy things for his girlfriend."

"How do you know?"

"Because he looks at you the way I look at your mom."

"You really love Momma, don't you?" she asked softly, staring down at the beautiful gift. She could feel tears prickle the back of her eyes, but she refused to let them fall. For once, they were actually tears of joy.

"I love her a lot, Oriana. And... I don't want to scare you, but I love you, too. You're my girls, and I would do anything to protect you both," Kevin took a chance and placed his hand on Oriana's shoulder.

"I--"

"RIANA! THE CAB'S PULLING UP!"

Oriana jumped away from Kevin's grasp in surprise, holding the box tightly to her chest. She offered an apologetic smile, feeling her heart hammer with surprise at her sudden bond with Kevin. "I... Guess I better get going, huh?"

"Yeah, I guess so. You two have fun and be careful, okay?" Kevin pulled out his wallet and placed some bills in her free hand.

"I can't take your money—"

"I want you to get something fun in New York."

"I have my own money from working at the clinic—"

"You're being very polite, but just take the money and say 'Thank you, Kevin'. Alright?" he chuckled.

"Um...okay..." she trailed, accepting the crisp bills. She nodded toward him, slowly backing toward the door. She was halfway out, but stopped. She stepped forward, hesitantly wrapping her arm around Kevin for a hug. "Thank you so much."

"You're very welcome," he kissed the top of her head as Teagan yelled for Oriana again. "Go on, now. Have fun and be safe, y'hear?"

"Can you...uh...put this in my room?" Oriana asked quickly, offering the velvet box back.

"I will. Bye, Oriana."

"Bye..." Oriana called, walking out of the room. She quickly grabbed her duffle bag that she had dropped, hurrying down the stairs. She quickly ran out the door, noticing everyone was waiting outside. She handed her duffle bag to the driver before pulling her carry-on bag off her shoulder. "Momma, Kevin's upstairs working on his songs..."

"Oh, alright. Did you tell him good-bye?" Cassandra asked as the driver took Oriana's bag and placed it in the trunk.

"You mean did I get the present from him?" Oriana countered with an innocent smile, already knowing how to read her mother after seventeen years. She glanced away from her mother to see the driver then loading all of Teagan's bags. She resisted the urge to groan, already used to Teagan's accessorizing.

"Yes, that's what I meant," Cassandra chuckled, wrapping an arm around her daughter's shoulders. She could tell that Oriana and Kevin were slowly starting to connect.

"Did you pick it out?" she asked curiously, still somewhat amazed by the beautiful gift.

"I went with him, but he picked it out himself. He's not such a bad guy to have as a stepfather, is he?"

"He..." Oriana let her words drop for a moment. She almost didn't want to jinx herself. She leaned into her mother's embrace, just wanting to stay connected for a few moments. It had been so long sine her mother had actually held her. "He's not so bad, I guess. He loves you a lot... But, Momma... Um... Did you talk to him about adoption?"

"Adoption? No... we haven't talked about that. Why?"

"No reason."

"Oriana Ryan, I know that there's a reason. Did Kevin say he wanted to adopt you?"

"He said he would—"

"And what did you say?"

"I didn't say anything."

"You didn't?"

"Honestly, Momma, what was I supposed to say?" Oriana stressed, noticing the last of the luggage being placed within the trunk. She felt weird about having to leaving Kevin when their relationship was still open to many weaknesses, yet, she still wanted to get away for her own safety.

"I don't know, I thought maybe you would say something," Cassandra sighed as the driver got back into the cab. She just wanted a close, loving family with Kevin, Oriana, Alex and Brian.

"You want anything special from New York, Momma?" Oriana asked, changing the subject as she watched Teagan hug her mother.

"Just to know you both are safe is special enough," Cassandra replied as she hugged Oriana.

"I'll call when we get to the hotel," Oriana promised, affectionately kissing her mother's cheek.

"Have fun, Baby. I love you."

"Something like that," Oriana laughed as she pulled away, causing Cassandra to pout with hurt. Oriana playful rolled her eyes, throwing her arm back around her mother for another tight hug. "I love you, too, Momma."

"Yeah, that's better," Cassandra chuckled, kissing her daughter's cheek. "Have fun."

"I'll have fun... I'm going to try that duct tape trick on Gabby like you did to me..."

"And BEHAVE."

"Behave? What's that mean? I... Wow, I never had a chance to look that up in the dictionary before I had a chance to leave..."

"Just get your little butt going," Cassandra laughed. "I'll see you Monday."

"Deal," Oriana laughed, watching her mother disappear into the house to find Kevin. Her mother never liked to watch Oriana leave the house for a long trip, almost as if it were bad luck. Oriana shrugged her shoulders, turning to see Alex waiting for her. She smiled, hugging him quickly. "Stay away from the Numbnut."

"Dude, I'll either be locked in my room or over at Howie's. Have fun in New York," Alex kissed her cheek.

"I have to shop for dresses and probably sit in a puddle of mud... Fun has nothing to do with it," Oriana joked as Alex handed her a camera. "What's this for? Because I am not taking photographs of near naked chicks at the Spa!"

"Just take pictures of anything you think would be cool."

"I don't think nearly naked chicks are cool, Jamie."

"Not at the spa, you dork. Of New York."

“Male Strip Clubs?" she asked excitedly.

"Ew, Hell no!"

"Didn't say you were going to be looking at the pictures," Oriana laughed, throwing the camera into her carry-on messenger bag.

"You drive me nuts," Alex groaned, kissing her cheek again. "Call me sometime, it's going to be so boring without you here."

"I'm calling Momma when we get to the hotel, so I'll make her give the phone to you then."

"Sounds like a plan," Alex agreed, wishing her goodbye yet again.

Oriana nodded, waving to him before bumping into Marie. She smiled softly, hugging her other mother tightly. She would miss both of the women who had such a big part of her heart. "Have fun with the house to yourself, Moms."

"It's been so long since I've had the house to myself that I don't know what I would do," Marie chuckled, kissing Oriana's cheek. "You two be careful and have fun, okay? I don't want to get a call saying you're both in jail with grins on your faces."

"But, Moms, you know that saying... A friend will call you in Jail. A good friend will visit you in Jail. And a best friend will be sitting next to you in Jail saying DAMN! THAT WAS AWESOME! We've got to try it out and get a picture!"

"If you purposely try to do that, you're both grounded."

"No flashing the cute cops... Check..."

"You're going to give New York a headache," Marie teased.

"We'll bring them all aspirin," Oriana promised, kissing Marie once more. She then immediately turned to walk toward the taxi where Howie was standing. She gently tugged on the front of his silky shirt, pulling him forward for a strong kiss. "I'm going to miss you the most, though."

"I'm going to miss you like crazy," Howie whispered, resting his forehead against hers. He kissed her once more. "You'll call me when you get there?"

"After I call Momma and Jamie, yeah. Make sure you either get to school or spend the day with Jamie so Numbnut can't hurt him... And, please be careful if you go flying with your brother... And...no girls while I'm away..."

"I won't let J get hurt, John and I will be extremely careful and of course no girls. You're the only one for me."

"I was hoping I would hear that..." she confessed, kissing him once more. She would actually miss cuddling next to him for the entire weekend, though she knew that Teagan would cuddle against her in a tangle of arms and legs. It just wasn't the same as Howie. She smiled sadly, trying to act like it didn't bother her. "I'll get you something while I'm at New York."

"Sounds good. Just be careful and have lots of fun, because you deserve it..." he cupped her face in his hands. "I love you."

"I love you, too," she answered, closing her eyes as he kissed her forehead. She pulled away from his embrace, walking to step into the taxi. Though, she paused suddenly, at least wanting to leave with the remembrance of his cute laugh. "And... I've decided that I love you so much that I'll hook up with one of those sexy boudoir photographing places..."

"Are you serious?" Howie laughed.

"Do you want me to be serious?"

"No, I was just wondering if you would actually do that."

"When I'm married... Sure."

Howie just smiled and walked over to give her another kiss. "Just have fun."

"You have fun, too."

"I will, but it's not the same fun without you."

"You'll survive," she laughed softly.

"One more kiss?" he asked with a sly smile.

"Just don't make me pass out in the taxi or they'll never let me on the plane," she warned with a soft nod.

"Yes, m'am," he wrapped his arms around her and delivered half of his mind-blowing kiss.

Oriana found no words to fill her mouth as he slowly pulled back. She could already feel her heart hammering with an intense rhythm. She nodded meekly, finally seating herself in the taxi. She jumped a little when Howie shut the car door for her. "I... Gabby, let's get going!"

"I'll be right there!" Teagan called back, still in Brian's arms

"You pick out a beautiful dress, alright? Actually, two beautiful dresses. Gotta be able to show you off at the Homecoming Dance and Ace's party, right?" Brian cooed toward her, planting little kisses along her neckline. He didn't want to see her go, but understood that she needed a break. She would feel safe in New York without Xander lurking about.

"I will, I promise. You just behave while I'm gone, or else I'll kick your ass," Teagan scolded with a smile, running her fingers through his soft curls, She wanted to remember everything about him before she left. "Behave... Okay..."

"I mean it, Brian Thomas," she pulled him in for a deep kiss.

"I know you mean it!" Brian murmured, running his hands down her back to create a spark between them.

"Teagan! Time to go!" Marie called, who was standing by the cab talking to Oriana.

"You've got to go, Sweetie," Brian decided with a frown.

"I'm going to miss you so much," Teagan whispered, a little sad that she had to leave Brian. But she was also excited to spend a weekend alone with Oriana.

"I'm going to miss you, too..." Brian answered, staring into her deep blue-gray eyes. He frowned slightly, noticing the enthused spark bringing out the dark blue tint within the mixture of her irises. He knew that excitement could only be from one person - Oriana.

Not liking the frown on his face, Teagan delivered a steamy kiss against his lips.

"TEAGAN GABRIELLE! YOU'RE GOING TO MISS YOUR PLANE!" Marie groaned.

"I'M COMING, MOM!" Teagan kissed Brian again. "I love you more than anything and I'll call you when we get there."

"Alright, Baby. Have fun!" Brian called, watching her hurry toward the taxi. She threw her arms around her mother's waist for an affectionate kiss before jumping into the taxi. Marie tapped hard on the hood, signaling for the taxi to take off. Brian felt a piece of his heart yank away from the core to sail with Teagan as she flew across the states.