- Text Size +
Chapter 6 – Foolhardy Assumptions

"D! Dude, it's your chance! The girls are heading to the Senior Parking Lot and I made sure you parked right next to Oriana's Hummer. Dude, just ask her out for some pizza or something. Say you need help with homework. Anything to score a date!" Nick pleaded for the millionth time as he stepped out of the large high school with Howie by his side. Nick was growing crazy with Howie's constant speeches about Oriana's loveliness. He just wanted the boy to get a grip and make the commitment. When it seemed Nick might go completely insane, there was a tiny ray of light. Oriana was open for a hit as she slowly walked toward the parking lot with Teagan.

"Yeah, ask for help with my homework. That will make me look REALLY good. Tons of guys have done that with her already, man. Look, if you go and talk to Teag, I'll go and talk to Oriana," Howie replied as they headed towards the parking lot.

"At least you'd get a chance at a date with her instead of pulling your lip over your head---"

"Shut up! There they are!" Howie hissed, punching Nick's shoulder.

Nick said nothing further as they hurried their pace to finally catch up with the girls. Howie seemed completely infatuated with Oriana's beauty as he followed like an animal in raging heat. The girls seemed oblivious to their stalkers as Oriana shifted her backpack onto both of her bare shoulders. She decided on a pair of baggy tan capris and a tight sky blue tank top. Still, she wore no makeup and her curls into a high ponytail. For a change, she wore a sapphire pendant against her slender neck and four sets of sapphire and emerald earrings, completed with a sapphire ring. She reached to dig out her keys from her back pocket as she spoke, "Momma tried to make up for the whole fiasco over the weekend. She bought me a birthday bikini to wear at the party. I love swimming in bikinis by myself or when I'm with you, but a bikini in front of the footballers? My ass is complete grass, I'm thinking it's a t-shirt all day kind of issue."

"Your ass wouldn't be grass. Your ass would be looking fine in that bikini!" Teagan enthused, pulling on her sunglasses.

"It's a freaking string bikini! One pull from one of the players to be an asshole then I'd be showing a real intimate portrait of my seventeen year old body!" Oriana exclaimed with a wry laugh.

"That would be a great picture in the yearbook--"

"Not to mention a Playboy!" Oriana interrupted with a snort of amusement. Many girls would scoff at Teagan’s vulgar attitude, but Oriana played off it with delight. "Do you think I could get money for offering a picture like that? Because I am looking at this prime surf board..."

"If Ma saw you in that magazine she would come right after me!" Teagan laughed. "Because she would know that even though it was your idea, it would be me to send it in. And I wanna live to see graduation!"

"You think Momma looks at Playboy? Because it might be a sweet photograph for Playboy. Me showing off my goddess body with light blue string bikini bottoms printed with wings and halos..." Oriana continued with a mock air of sophistication, finding it extremely humorous to actually see Playboy post a picture of her when she felt incomplete compared to the gorgeous beauties running around the school.

"Guys from school would be wanting your autograph. You would be a huge star!" Teagan giggled.

"Can't you just hear the tune of My Angel is the Centerfold playing in the background?" Nick snorted toward Howie, never lowering his voice.

"Dude, I love that song! Got it on my mix in the Hummer!" Oriana countered excitedly, turning on her heels. She didn't realize who was behind her, but still felt the need to comment on the song. But, she seemed to freeze when she noticed it was Howie and Nick behind her. She was almost too mortified to speak, realizing the boys had heard every portion of the girls' intimate conversation. She found her mouth drying as she spoke again, "I would definitely request that if I ever got a formal gig with Playboy..."

"It's a good song," Howie replied, blushing a little.

Nick groaned, realizing he would have to do the work yet again. He resisted the urge to smack Howie sharply across the head as he pushed in between the girls, making sure Howie followed on Oriana's side. "So, Ori, everyone's talking about the fact that your seventeenth birthday party is going to be kick-ass this weekend. And, damn, I didn't realize you were only sixteen!"

"I got pushed ahead when I was in kindergarten," Oriana explained quietly, realizing that she was definitely the baby of the entire Senior Class.

"That must mean you're one smart cookie!" Nick replied with a grin as he nudged Howie in the side.

"One smart cookie?" Teagan replied with a snort. "What decade are we in, Carter?"

"Um...does it matter?" Nick countered.

"To hang with us - yes!" Teagan insisted.

"Teag, don't even start," Oriana commanded, knowing Teagan could continue the banter well into the evening. She rolled her eyes as she adjusted her backpack yet again against her weary shoulders. All her Enriched classes made sure to assign bundles of books, adding an extreme amount of pressure to her back. "But, yeah, I'm hoping for the Valedictorian title this year. I've got the highest GPA so far. But that isn't the point."

"That’s not the point?"

"No, the point is you were trying to get yourself invited to the party, weren't you?" Oriana teased lightly.

"Well, damn! You caught onto my plan!"

"Like you said... I'm one smart cookie?" she quoted, crinkling up her nose at the sound.

"She's more than a smart cookie. She's a CUTE smart cookie who's going to show off her cuteness at the party this weekend with her new bikini," Teagan chirped with a grin.

"Don't get ahead of yourself, Teag. You're the one who's showing off your cuteness at the party. I'm just wheeling and dealing in a baggy t-shirt with the new bikini beneath," Oriana countered with a playful scowl.

"Until I get that damn t-shirt off you!"

"Now that's just a little to kinky for my taste!" Oriana laughed, finally freeing her keys from her back pocket.

"Nothing wrong with being kinky!" Teagan grinned, grabbing Nick's hand. She already knew it was Howie’s opportunity to strike something with Oriana. Teagan had some sort of bizarre radar when it came to relationships. "Walk me to my car, boy."

"Your car is right next to mine!" Oriana groaned.

"I still need to walk to it!" Teagan kissed Oriana's cheek. "Call me later, okay?"

"So I can find out what you're buying me?" Oriana guessed playfully.

"You can guess, but you won't find out."

"Nothing pink. Nothing frilly. Nothing girly," Oriana commanded.

"Pink, frilly and girly. Got it!"

"Get the Hell out of here before I crush you with my Hummer," Oriana growled.

"Going!" Teagan yelped, dragging Nick with her. "But Nick and Howie are invited this weekend, right?"

"Yeah!" Oriana laughed, watching Nick stumble to maintain his balance as Teagan shoved him against her car so she could unlock her doors. She seemed none the wiser to the plans of the teenagers to get her alone with Howie. Instead, Oriana rolled her eyes as she reached to press the button to unlock her own doors, jumping slightly when she noticed Howie still standing there. "You're always really quiet, aren't you?"

"Yeah, I can be pretty quiet. Sorry," Howie rubbed the back of his neck. It was now or never. "Listen, I'm sure you get asked this all the time, but... I was wondering if you wanted to go out for pizza sometime. You seem really cool, you're really gorgeous and--"

"You can cut the bullshit," Oriana interrupted without hesitation, yanking her driver's side door open. She knew their friendship had been too good to be true. Without hesitation, she chucked her backpack into the passenger seat, never flinching as it hit the floor. She then turned to lean against her Hummer, folding her arms beneath her chest. She should have known better than to expect anything different from the boys at this school.

"Excuse me?" Howie gulped, not expecting that reaction.

"What the Hell do you want?" she asked bluntly.

"I was just trying to ask you out on a date. Am I not allowed to do that?"

"No, your not allowed to toy with my heart when it's something else that you want. So, just cut the bullshit, Howie. What do you need? A test coming up that you need help with? A paper that needs wrote? Is there a girl that you need me to talk to? Help with a sport? A ride somewhere with the Hummer to make you look like a real catch? Or did you just hear the rumors that I was an easy lay? What? Please just tell me so we can cut all this shit that I don't want to deal with. Honestly, why play a fake masquerade when you're going to end up hurting me in the end," Oriana continued; her blue-green eyes darkening with sadness.

Howie took a step back, eyes wide. "I don't know the kind of guys who asked you out before, but I'm not like that. I was trying to ask you out because I really do like you. Not for your brains or your car or anything. I like you. I'm sorry you got hurt by the other assholes in this school, but I'm not like that."

Oriana already felt tears prickling beneath her eyelids, but she swallowed hard to keep the tears back. She shook her head as she pulled the loose curls away from her face. She would not be swayed. She would not be fooled again. "Don't, Howie, Okay?"

"Don't what? I'm telling you the truth, Oriana. I like you. I want to go out with you. Hell, I want to be your boyfriend!"

"Are you coming to the party?" Oriana asked, quickly changing the subject.

"Yeah, I'll come to the party. I would like that," Howie replied, groaning in frustration inside his head when he realized he would get nowhere.

"I'm sorry, Howie," she whispered, climbing up into her car.

"Me too," he whispered as well, closing the door for her.

"Friends?" she asked, lowering her window to thrust her hand out toward him. She hated the idea of hurting him, but she refused to be wounded again. She couldn't tell the difference between sincerity and mockery within the league of high school boys. She found it better not to get involved. Being a friend didn't get her hurt. Besides, she was nothing of a beauty that Howie was used to having.

Howie mustered a smile and shook her hand gently, so small yet perfect in his own. "Yeah, friends. I would definitely like that."

"Good, no worries then," she decided, pulling her hand away as a small set of sparks flickered through her nerves. "And, you'll still come to the party then, right?"

"I'll be there. See you later, Oriana," he replied, feeling the same sparks she did.

"Check you later..." she stated softly, withdrawing back into her vehicle. She reached to take the car into reverse, but felt such a horrid pain in her heart. She couldn't understand why she felt so guilty. Needing something cleared, she stopped halfway. "Dorough?"

He turned around at the sound of her voice, surprised she called to him. "Yeah?"

"No hard feelings right?" she trailed, feel slightly embarrassed. She fumbled to make sense of what she really wanted to say. She wanted to tell him the truth - that she was scared. But, her mind refused to process the needing. Instead, she converted into a state of humor to hide her feelings. "I mean, you're still hooking me up with a kick-ass present right?"

“No hard feelings, it's okay. And of course I'm still going to get you a kick ass present. I wouldn't go back on my promise," he replied, running a hand through his messy curls as the wind whipped through the school parking lot.

"Right..." she agreed, mustering an impish smile. "Well, I better get going. Can't be late to dance practice or the instructor fits you with a pink tutu."

"Can't have that," he smiled as well. "See you later."

Oriana said nothing more as she offered a small wave letting her window raise. She quickly reversed and pulled out of the parking lot; giving Nick and Teagan a clear view of Howie. They had only heard bits and pieces of the conversation over the soft roar of Oriana's powerful engine. The look on Howie's face seemed to explain everything to Teagan, but Nick was always slow to catch on. "So?" Nick asked eagerly.

"I asked her out. She said no. That enough detail for you?" Howie replied, kicking himself for even thinking Oriana would want to go on a date with him. Especially with the way other guys at the school had treated her.

"You got turned down?" Nick snorted with a large smirk. He leaned back against Teagan's car in disbelief. If he had learned anything from Tartan life, it was that no girl ever turned Howie down for a date. He was the king of Tartan’s social circle.

"You should know, since it's happened to you more than anyone else in the school." Howie scorned, frowning before turning to head to his own car.

"Damn..." Teagan hissed, trying to muffle a laugh at the hurt look on Nick's face, never realizing Howie was truly hurt.

"You're just upset because you got turned down by one of the easiest--"

"CARTER! Stop before you even start!" Teagan immediately hissed, smacking him upside the head.

"What the Hell?!" Nick yelped, immediately shrinking away.

"Stop reading the shit on the bathroom stalls, because they're not true," Teagan answered with a growl, already knowing where the new student had picked up the information. She made a face as she jumped out of her car, hurrying to catch Howie. "Hey! Howie!"

"Teagan, I just want to go home and try to forget any idea I had about having Oriana as my girlfriend," Howie replied before turning around. His heart was aching and he didn't know what to do.

"You're just giving up?" Teagan asked flatly, reaching to shut Howie's car door as he tried to open it. She frowned openly at the idea of Howie giving up because of one sour expression from Oriana. Truth be told, they had circled in the same social group since freshman year, but Howie had only opted to become a closer person in Oriana's circle since the start of senior year. Oriana didn't know Howie well enough yet, which gave her reason enough to turn down any offer.

"She doesn't want a relationship. What do you want me to do?"

"Maybe try again? She doesn't know you well enough, that's why she said no. Get to know her, let her know you. Then things will happen and you'll be together."

"How do you know?"

"Because I'm her best friend. I know how she is. Don't give up on her, Howie. So many people have before because they didn't know what a great person she is."

"Their loss is my gain, then?" Howie decided with a small smile, rubbing his aching temples. Why did high school have to be so difficult? He had actually found a woman that stirred him in the most intimate ways, but she seemed so intangible. Could he really work to win her heart?

"Definitely. Take your time with her. It'll be worth it in the end, trust me."

"Before or after she moves away to college?"

"It won't take THAT long."

"Then what do you suggest?" Howie asked, leaning back against his car. He noted that Nick still lingered near Teagan's car, obviously waiting for the opportunity to apologize. Yet, Howie could care less. He was more or less focused on Oriana, wondering how he could achieve his desired outcome.

"You promised her a kick ass birthday present, right?"

"Right..."

"Well, I'm going to help you with that. Oriana loves music, especially Meatloaf and stuff the 80's. Besides playing football, she also surfs. And one thing she loves to read is poetry. Just make sure that nothing is frilly or pink. OH! And she loves horror movies, but you should know that already."

"Okay..." Howie trailed.

"So, go to the mall and buy stuff like that."

"Now?"

"Yes, now. Go! Shoo! Get going!"

"Are you telling me that we're shopping together?" Howie arched his eyebrows in confusion, waiting for Teagan to realize that she was leaning against his car door. He couldn't possibly do anything until she moved.

"Yes I am."

"Okay... but you need to do something for me."

"Oh? What's that?" Teagan asked, confused on why he wasn't getting in the car.

"It's hard to get in my car if you're leaning on the door."

Teagan glanced behind herself in confusion, finally realizing she was leaning on the door. She offered a sheepish smile toward Howie, pushing off the car. "Whoops?"

"You sure there's not blonde roots in that brunette head of yours?" Howie asked, rolling his eyes playfully before opening his door.

"I'd be careful about using those kind of phrases with Oriana's best friend, Howie. I can make or break your relationship with her," Teagan threatened playfully.

"Yeah, but you like me too much as a friend to do that," Howie chuckled, getting into the driver's seat. "Meet you at the mall?"

"Definitely, but I still think I'll give her some amusing rumors about you... Like the snoring with a wide open mouth on the buses to various competitions, you're a complete neat freak, talking in your sleep---"

"Eavans."

"Dorough."

"You won't do that, will you? Please?" Howie pouted, his chocolate eyes shining pitifully.

"Oh, and I absolutely love the one that you can't have ANYONE touch your hair and mess it up---"

"Just like you!" Howie reached up and ran his hands all over Teagan's perfect hairstyle.

Teagan shrieked in surprise, immediately jumping away from the car. She instantly brought her trembling hands up to her now-mussed hairstyle. She could almost feel the tears of anguish brimming against her sapphire eyes. "I can't believe...you...did that!"

"Teag, it's not the end of the world. Here," Howie pulled out a comb from his backpack and walked over to her.

"Don't touch my hair! You'll wreck it even more!" Teagan wailed, her eyes filled with tears.

"No, I won't. I can fix it, just hold still."

"You're such a jerk!" Teagan whimpered.

"I'm sorry, okay? I am," Howie gently ran his comb through her locks, styling it to the way it was. "It's just been a really hard day."

"Right," she sniffled, instantly reaching up to feel if Howie had perfected her style. She was quiet for several moments as Howie took a step back, giving her a chance to examine. She seemed fine with the results, but still offered a sour pout. "Now I'm telling her about how it takes hours for you to get ready, that you can't have anyone touching your hair, you snore, you talk in your sleep, AND that the team calls you Dorky Dwaine because you fell down the stairs going to practice when Oriana whizzed by."

"I deserve that," Howie complied.

"And that you cried when we all went to watch Titanic," Teagan decided with a small smile.

"Hey, it was a sad movie. You cried, too."

"Yeah, but you were the only guy who cried."

"Your point?"

"I made Oriana watch it when it came out on video and she laughed..."

"She laughed? How can you laugh at Titanic?"

"You know the 'I'll never let go' speech?" Teagan confided with an amused smile. "Oriana shouted at the screen, 'You better let go or both your asses are going under.' It's just the way she is..."

"She's not into the sappy romance stuff?" Howie guessed as Teagan nodded with approval at the hairstyle he made for her in the car window.

"She's not against it, but Titanic was just a bit too over-rated for her taste... She liked the romance in Center Stage and Pirates of the Caribbean, though... I don't know, she's really weird."

"Yeah, one of a kind," Howie agreed as Teagan looked up at him. "So? I'm forgiven?"

"After I spill all the dirt on you to Oriana... I suppose..."

"I really am sorry, I didn't mean to make you upset."

"You get really evil if a girl turns you down, don't you?"

"No, not evil. I don't want to lose Oriana. She stirs things inside me that no other girl has. Do you realize how rare it is to find someone like that in your life?"

"Haven't found one of those yet..." Teagan trailed, chewing on the inside of her cheek. Truth be told, she had only found trouble in the relationships department. The last relationship had almost cost her life, so Teagan had swore to take a break.

"Oh..." Howie trailed awkwardly, not really knowing what to say. Teagan was the most desired woman at Tartan. If she hadn't found true love, what kind of hope was there for the rest of humanity.

"Well, the mall's not going to be open all night... We better get going..." Teagan decided, quickly changing the subject.

"Yeah... Um, yeah. Are you dropping Nick off or something? Or do you want me to?"

"I think he wants to apologize to you, so you can drop him off. I'll meet you at Hot Topic around... three o'clock. Alright?"

"Sounds like a plan," Howie agreed, motioning for Nick to come over.