- Text Size +
His bones ached as he tried to sit up. The room was cold, he didn't remember coldness before, but then again he didn't remember much from before. The room he was in was dark, curtains had been pulled and no light had managed to creep in through them. There was a dark shadow sitting in the corner, shivering. Shivering from the cold? or was the figure scared.
"Who's there?" he called out

"You're awake. That's good, we were starting to worry. You were in a horrible accident and my sister and I found you brought you here, to our home. We hope you don't mind." the voice replied.

He groaned in pain as he tried to sit up more. "I can't see anything. Can you open the blinds for me?"

"I can" the figure said but still not moving from her spot.

He groaned as he feel back to his pillow. "Will you open the blinds for me please?"

With this the person moved towards the window and opened the blinds. He had to shield his eyes from the bright light that came pouring in through them. In the light he saw a girl about his age with long brown hair. She was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt and looked almost scared of him.

"Who am I?" he finally asked her.

"You don't know?" the girl proceeded to ask him.

He snapped at her, "if I knew who I was would I ask you?"

She retreated back to her chair and stood behind it, afraid again. The look in her eyes showed that she was afraid of something that had to be more than him, he couldn't be that terrifying could he? She picked up something on a table next to her and opened it up.

"It says here your name is Nick Carter."

Nick Carter, he thought to himself, that name doesn't sound familiar, but if that's what it says in my wallet then I suppose that's my name. "Wanna tell me your name?"

"My name is Harmony, my sister is Autumn and she'll be back soon. She said I'm not supposed to get too close to you cause you could be dangerous."

"Even if I was dangerous I wouldn't remember it, and I don't think I could do anything to anyone with the pain I am in. Do you have anything for the pain?"

"Autumn went out to get it, she should be back soon."

Nick rubbed his head and wondered if he would make it that long. He was in strange house with strange girl and she was the one afraid of him. He couldn't keep his eyes open much longer and soon he drifted away to sleep.

*****

All he could see was water. Water next to him, water under him, even water above him. A face, a face unknown to him looked to be shouting at him through the water. He could not hear and he could not understand. Soon he was out of air and he struggled to get back above the surface of the water, but something was holding him down, something he couldn't see or feel. Next he could only remember blackness.

*****

Nick opened his eyes again and saw Harmony leaning over him. "Harmony.." he muttered

The girl scoffed at the sound of the name. "Sorry bub, you got the wrong sister. Name's Autumn and you have the pleasure of sleeping off your pain in my bed." She smirked at him. "Yer a mighty cute guy, you know that?"

Nick tried to make a quick movement away from this sister, but the pain brought him crashing back down onto the bed.

"You've had a nasty bump to your head there Nicky...mind if I call you Nicky?" she asked not waiting for response. "I brought you some pain killers for you head. I hope you don't have any allergies, it's a long drive to town."

She helped him sit up so he could take some pills.

"Yer on the Braton farm. We used to own all the land around here, till that damn civil war took our families slaves away and my kin had to sell off the land piece by piece. Now my sister and I have about two acres and this house left. Betcha don't want to hear my families history though huh? After all we just met, we got lots of time to get to know each other still."

Nick's eyes started to droop as he watched Autumn walk around the room carelessly. She started to get undressed which would have made Nick get up out of bed and protest, but the pain killers were starting to get the best of him. He was almost asleep when he felt her get in bed next to him.

"Now don't think you are getting lucky on yer very first night here bub" she whispered in his ear. "but with you in my bed, where do you expect me to sleep? on the floor? I hardly think so."