- Text Size +
He could not help himself; there was no way he was going to fall asleep after Autumn's warning. His mind flooded with thoughts of what she would do to him to make sure he stayed put.
There had to be a way to get a message to the outside world, to let them know that he was alive and desperately in need of help. He would not be allowed outside any longer so trying to run into town again was definitely out of the question.

Then an idea struck him, he could ask Harmony for help. She could get a message out and then when help came they could leave together sending the police to pick up Autumn later. Now the only thing he had to work out was how to get Harmony's attention without notifying Autumn of what they were planning.

Quickly he started his search of the room, positive that Autumn would not be back that night. He was looking for something, anything that he might slip to Harmony for help. They were twins but when Harmony found out that Autumn is the reason he was there, the reason he had no memory, she was sure to help him and leave with him.

Finally, he spied a piece of paper and a pencil stashed in one of the bedside tables. He scribbled his message and shoved it into his pocket breaking the pencil and stashing both pieces at various parts of the room. When he went to put the eraser end of the pencil underneath his mattress, he saw a glint coming off the dark floor. He leaned down closer to it and realized that it was the knife Autumn left.

Carefully he picked it up, eyeing it carefully. A soft smirk crossed his face; he finally had a weapon to aid his escape. Autumn promised to come back the next day, now he could injure her and make his escape. He shoved it under the mattress along with the other end of the pencil, now he just needed to wait and form a plan.

****

Morning crept into the room and Nick slowly opened his eyes jumping back when he noticed another person in the room with him.

"Nick, it's just me." Harmony's voice soothed him.

"You scared me; I thought it was your sister in here. Where is she?" He looked around anxiously not wanting to anger her any more then necessary.

Harmony approached Nick placing her bandaged hand on his. "What are we going to do about her?" She shook her head as if nothing major really happened.

Nick's voice lowered and he moved closer to Harmony's face. "I need to get out of here."

Harmony nodded. "Let's talk about something else; I don't want to chance the wall having ears." She winked at him. "How about you telling me what you would like for breakfast."

Nick noticed her hand stroking his, the rough bandage irritating his skin. "Maybe we should take you into town to get that cut looked at?" He questioned her hoping to change the subject from breakfast to escape.

"I was thinking of having pancakes and sausage. Would you like that Nick?" His concern for her hand was completely overlooked.

"Whatever you wish to make, but you really should see a doctor about that cut."

Harmony shrugged, "Autumn says it will be all right and I have no reason to doubt her, she had her cut looked at and the doctor told her if mine was like hers there was no reason to worry."

Nick nodded knowing that Harmony always listened to her sister.

They sat silent for a few moments watching each other, never wanting Autumn to come home, never wanting their peace disturbed. Unfortunately, peace never lasts. Some slight noise caused Harmony to jump up from her seat and start towards the door.

"I have to leave, now." Was all she said before she walked out and relocked the door.

Not even two minutes later, the lock to the door was being undone and Autumn came storming into the room wearing her usual outfit of jeans and a tight shirt. "Well, I see that you are awake." She grinned at him "Now about your punishment for leaving and trying to get away."

She walked slowly towards the bed, beads of sweat started to run down his face, anxious of what was going to happen.

"I know it was you!" He shouted at her inching towards the headboard of the bed.

"What are you talking about?" She questioned him. A smirk played on her lips as she sat on the edge of the bed running her nails up and down Nick's leg. "It was me that walked into your room? Were you expecting to see Harmony?"

He stared at Autumn in silence willing himself not to show emotion when Autumn spoke of Harmony.

"I remember that day now, the day that I arrived here. I remember seeing you dragging me under, knocking me out with a rock. Then I wound up here, far away from anything, in your dementia you thought you could keep me here forever. You didn't count on Harmony and myself showing any feeling for each other, you didn't count on me falling in love with your sister!" He spilled the words out as quickly as possible before he lost his nerve.

He watched as she sat there just staring blankly at him blinking. "Believe what you want to believe Nick my boy; you will soon learn the truth."

Somewhat relived, he watched as she stood from the bed and disappeared out the door. It wasn't until minutes later he realized she did nothing to him for running away; he must have struck a chord with her. It was a good thing too because Nick had no time to get the knife out of hiding if she were to attack him.

Autumn's last words confused Nick and he was left with nothing but to think about what they could mean. "…find out soon enough". He knew what happened, he remembered, what more was there to find out?

Soon the light was bright in his room and the door unlocked to show Amber standing in front of him, her arm holding a tray of food to her hip. "Brought you lunch, Harmony hopes you enjoy." She laughed and tossed the tray onto the floor, closed the door and locked it again.

Uncertain if it was safe to eat, Nick left the food alone on the floor. Autumn could have poisoned it from the time Harmony made it to the time that he ate it.

Out of boredom, Nick laid back down on the bed and fell asleep.