- Text Size +
He continued to watch the door, waiting for Harmony to come bursting through the door to kill him. He knew he was bigger then her, but she was crazed and would probably be able to overcome him in the end.
Finally, the footsteps stopped and Nick stared at the bathroom door waiting but nothing came. Nobody barged in the bathroom, no yelling from the other room wondering where he was. Maybe the footsteps weren't coming into his room, but were going to another room. Harmony's room was on the other side of the house, perhaps she went there, tired from all that has happened.

Carefully Nick opened the bathroom door and scanned the bedroom. There was no sign of anyone, he sighed deeply, his eyes falling on the knife that Harmony still left in his room right where she had thrown it.

He moved towards the bed and grabbed the knife, ran back in the bathroom and began to pry the wood where the exit would be located. The wood crack making a loud sound that echoed in the bathroom. Nick stopped for a moment listening for footsteps. When he heard none, he continued prying away.

In what seemed like forever the boards were pulled away enough that Nick could make out the exit. Half of it was behind the toilet still so he would have to climb over the toilet in order to get into the exit. He started to climb on the toilet when he heard quick footsteps becoming loud. He froze for a second.

A loud crash told him that the room door was opened and someone was in the room. He quickly scurried into the hole and grunted when he hit the ground.

"Nick!" The voice in the other room yelled. He heard the creak of the bathroom door as he began to crawl along the bottom of the dark tunnel.

"Where do you think you are going?" A voice asked and when he glanced behind him, he could see Harmony's face lit by the light of the bathroom.

"Are you going to crawl around in the walls like a cockroach for the rest of your life? Eventually you will come out, or you will just die in there." She cackled.

Nick continued to move away from the room, Autumn told him that he could get out this way, but what if she was lying, what if this was a trap and at the end, someone or something waited to kill him? He had to take the chance; there was no way he wanted to allow Harmony to kill him. He knew who he was; he knew he had friends and family. He desperately wanted to be with them, he wanted this nightmare to be over.

In a moment of hesitation, he thought about the knife on the bathroom floor, would Harmony use it against him now? He sighed in relief when he put his hands in his back pocket and felt the knife handle sticking out. He remembered to grab it, now he had to be careful he didn't puncture himself in his escape.

After what seemed like forever, light started to seep into the tunnel from the other end. Nick didn't know why but he continued crawling even when he could no longer see Harmony's face. He found it strange that she did not crawl in after him, especially since she was so adamant about making sure he died.

The light came closer and closer and finally he managed to exit the hole, blinking at the bright light. He scanned the area curious as to where he was. Then he spotted it, the reason Autumn kept the passage way hidden and eventually sealed it away. A car sat in the field, the front end and driver's side were crushed, not horribly bad, but enough that anyone sitting in those spots would be seriously injured or dead. He moved closer to the car and turned towards the hole he crawled from.

He stared back in silence, his skin turning pale as he looked at a headstone marking the hole.

'Here lies Autumn Spalding, beloved sister and friend.' Nick choked back the bile that rose in his throat. He crawled through Autumn's grave, a grave that connected to Autumn's bathroom. Harmony dug Autumn's grave and then Autumn dug herself a way into and out of the house.

He searched the horizon for the house seeing it somewhat in the distance. A lone figure stood on the back porch looking towards him; he could see the dress sway slightly in the breeze. He continued to watch knowing that Harmony would charge after him if she could.

He saw her hand reach into the sky and wave back and forth at him, his hand, in response, rose slightly and waved back towards her, assuming it was Autumn at this point. Nick watched as the figure brought her arm down quickly and moved off the porch towards him, running.

He slapped his head, he gave himself away or Autumn couldn't hold Harmony at bay, he didn't know what was going on in that head of hers anymore. He did know that he needed to get moving. He turned and tried to find the road, the way that he could get to town and away from this place forever.

Finally, he spotted what appeared to be a dirt road and ran towards it as fast as he could. Quickly he whirled his head around to see where Harmony was noting that the truck was speeding towards his location.

Before he realized where he was going he turned his head and before he could stop, fell into a hole twisting his ankle on the way down. Desperately he tried to climb out of the hole, ignoring the pain in his ankle.

"Shit!" He yelled as he heard the truck approach.

"Oh did my poor Nicky fall in the hole I dug for him?" Harmony cackled gleefully. "What a shame, you took all the fun out of it for me. Now I don't get to kill you with my own hands before burying you." She leaned on the handle of a shovel as if lost in thought. "Oh well, at least you will be gone and I will get to move on with my existence."

Harmony moved to a pile of dirt and started to shovel some over Nick as he sat nursing his ankle.

He coughed from the first few tosses of dirt and prepared himself for the next toss. He was close to escape; now he was going to suffocate. A few minutes passed and nothing was tossed, he dared himself to open his eyes and look towards the opening. He cringed slightly at the view of Harmony leaning over the pit.

"Nick, take my hand, quickly, I must get you out of there." Her voice rang out.

"Autumn?" He questioned, more confused then ever.

"Yes, now quickly, Harmony is extremely pissed that I am here right now. She knows what I am doing and is putting up a strong fight to get out."

Nick grabbed Autumn's hand and climbed out of the pit. "Thanks Autumn," He said hugging her tightly. "I can't say I will ever forget you."

She smiled at him and let him go, "Please leave."

He moved as fast as he could through the forest that separated the town from Harmony's property. He never looked back when he heard a scream of frustration rise from where he left Autumn. He never looked back as Harmony re-appeared and started to cuss out her sister and him. He never looked back when the sound of the truck engine roared up again.

Through the branches of the trees, Nick started to make out the outlines of buildings. He was getting closer, a smile slowly spread across his face. He would be home with his family and friends at long last.

As the trees thinned, the view of the town became clearer. He limped along as fast as he could, stopping shortly when he saw an old truck appear in his view, Harmony exiting the driver side and charging towards him.