- Text Size +
Nick’s birthday had been something some men might dream about. Two women, different in their own ways but similar in appearance, each spent time with him. Yes, he spent not only his birthday, but all of his days lately with twins. The dreams still existed, but it was the same dream, nothing ever changed. He was underwater, he felt like he was being dragged and so on and so on. Nick was starting to get frustrated. He wished the dream or memory; whatever it was would show more or go away altogether. This was his life now and he needed to accept it.
Nick rolled himself out of bed and pulled on some clothes. He made his way to the kitchen for breakfast. Again, just like every other day, the smells wafting in the air smelled wonderful and the sight of Harmony making the food soothed Nick. He smiled to himself and took a seat, careful not to startle Harmony. He watched her cook, something he had come to enjoy doing every day. The way she scrambled his eggs, swinging her hips to some unknown tune. The ham spattering was the only noise in the kitchen, maybe she was hearing music in that? Finally she started to dish the food onto a couple of plates and picking them up turned to face Nick.

“Good morning Nick,” Her smile brightened when she saw him. Slowly she placed the food in front of him and took her seat across from him.

Nick watched her spear some of her ham before starting to eat any of his food. And since spearing her food was not something common of Harmony, he had to ask. “What is wrong this morning?”

She shrugged and stuck the ham in her mouth; she made him wait until she was done eating to reply. “I don’t know how much longer I can share you with my sister. I wanted to be the one to be with you last night on your birthday.” She kept her eyes diverted, making Nick all the more intrigued.

“Why didn’t you say anything?” He whispered, careful so Autumn could not hear, though he knew that she was never there during the day.

“I really don’t want to upset Autumn, she has threatened to leave on a couple occasions and I really need her here to help me out. She’s the one that makes the money to pay on this place.”

“Let’s run away together. You and me, we could leave together and I could get a job and earn money.” Something snapped in Harmony at the mention of them leaving.

“NO! I mean I wouldn’t feel right leaving Autumn alone. We have been through so much together.”

“Alright then we won’t leave. How about we all sit down together and we can break the news about us to her.”

Harmony sullenly shook her head. “She knows I like you already, and there is no way she would accept the two of us having a relationship in front of her.”

Nick sighed. He couldn’t win with this girl. “Well I suppose we will have to have a secret relationship then won’t we?” Not like he wanted to be living in a secret with Harmony, but if Autumn wouldn’t accept it and Harmony wouldn’t part with Autumn then he would have to give it a try.

Nick looked at Hamony again sitting there and that's when he noticed the bandage. "What happened?" He said, indicating the bandage.

"Oh, a plate fell in the sink last night and I picked it up cutting my hand." She shrugged and looked down at her food meaning she didn't want to talk about it anymore.

They finished eating their meal in silence and then Nick started his chores.

*****

He was towards the back of the property, far enough away that he could not see the house and no one in the house could see him. He wondered how far away the town actually was. He wanted to see it, he wanted to see people. He suddenly had this overwhelming urge to talk with other people besides Harmony and Autumn. He wanted to talk to his friends. It was an urge he had not felt since the first week or two that he had arrived at the house. He still had no idea who his friends were but he wanted to talk with them. He was sure they would have some advice on his situation, he knew they were guys. That was all, besides his name and age, that he was sure of about himself and his past.

The woodpile was almost done, he did his chores faster then they were used to him doing them. That might give him enough time that he could actually make his way to town and then back again without them noticing his absence. He quickly finished off the last of the woodpile and made his way further and further from the house. He walked a short amount of time from the back of the property before he reached a street that lead to other buildings. This must be the town.

Slowly he made his way down the street, looking for Autumn's truck so that he wouldn't get caught. People started to stare at him. Some were wonderment others were in awe. A group of girls were giggling as he passed them by, and one with guts ran up to him.

"Nick Carter?"

"Yes." He wondered if Autumn was talking about him while she was in town.

"It is him!" She shouted back to her friends. Turning back to Nick she continued. "We thought you were dead." The girl started to blush at what she just said. "Since you are alive, can I have your autograph?" She thrust out a small piece of paper, probably something that she found lying around on the ground.

Not without confusion, Nick signed the paper. Why would they want his autograph? Was he famous? Did Autumn talk about him so much that people were starting to wonder? But what about the comment that he was dead? What did that have to do with anything? Were people in his past trying to find him? Of course, why didn't he think of it. He would have friends and family still trying to locate him after he went missing. How odd that he assumed that there would be no one looking for him, that his life with Autumn and Harmony was the only life he could possibly have now.

He watched the girl run back to her friends and they started to talk excitedly. He continued to walk, but now he was in a daze, more determined to find out who he was or actually who he is.

He found a little shop that had to sell some sort of newspaper or magazine. Hopefully if there was some story on him, hopefully too much time had not passed.

He stood there flipping through the pages of a magazine looking for anything that he could mentioning him. There wasn't appearing to be anything. As he put the People magazine back on the rack he spied a Teen Beat magazine with his name in the top right corner. He grabbed for the magazine and started to flip through the pages. He finally reached a page with his picture on it, there were four other guys in the picture as well and the caption said 'Backstreet Boys'.

He stood staring not wanting to read on when a voice startled him from behind.

"What are you doing here?!" The voice yelled.

He swirled around, dropping the magazine open to the page he was looking at, and stood face to face with Autumn. "Shouldn't you be doing chores?"

"I finished. I wanted to see the town, I wanted to see where you were all day, Autumn."

Out of the corner of his eye, Nick saw the man behind the counter look at him strangely. Autumn grabbed for Nick, "We have to leave." Nick took her by her hand and started to walk with her to the truck. He felt something on the palm of her hand. He started to think about what it felt like. It felt like an unbandaged cut.