- Text Size +
“April, hurry up and get out this door, you don’t want to be late for your interview,” May called to her twin sister. Only three weeks ago, both girls were full of hopes and dreams of what Orlando would bring them. Of course, they were both sad to be leaving their home state, Texas, but they felt that in order to grow and move on, they needed to start their lives elsewhere.

May looked around their barely furnished apartment and sighed, the more and more interviews they went on, the more and more it seemed as if they were going to have to end up working at McDonald’s just to pay the bills. She had interviewed at banks, credit unions, shopping centers, offices and what seemed like a million other places. Everyone kept saying she was not experienced enough, or too inexperienced. Both she and her sister graduated from Texas A&M with degrees in business and one day hoped to open their own place, but now they would settle for something that paid.

“Thanks hun,” April called to her sister as she grabbed the keys and bolted out the door to her interview.

“Where are you interviewing today?” May called after her.

“Some club, I think it’s called Tabu or something.” She waved to her sister, got in the car and sped away.

Feeling lucky, she was only stopped by one light on the way over, April flung open the door to the club. The inside was amazing, unlike any club she ever saw in Texas. She slowly walked along the bar, feeling the wood beneath her touch. She moved towards the one person she saw sitting in the room.

“Um, excuse me.” She squeaked out.

The man turned around and looked at April. His hair was a dark brown color, cut to look short, spiky and unmanaged. He smiled broadly at her and stood to greet her. He did not seem as tall as April did, but his face was kind and April took an instant liking to him.

“Hi, my name is April Campbell and I’m here about the help wanted ad I saw in the paper.” She smiled at the man and extended her hand.

The man took her hand and shook it. “Hello April, my name is Howard Dorough, but I would feel more comfortable if you just called me Howie and not Mr. Dorough.

He directed her towards a chair and sat down across from her. “So, April, tell me a little about yourself.”

April dove into her usual speech about where she was born, grew up, and her schooling. She went into a little about her sister and some of the stuff they accomplished together. Howie simply nodded his head as she talked.

When she finished talking he fired some questions at her ranging from ‘what if’ questions to questions about the type of job she would be doing and the type of experience she had with that.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, they finished talking and decided it was time to end the interview.

“Well April, I can say it was definitely a pleasure to meet you.” Howie smiled at her.

April nodded her head and agreed with him. “It was nice to meet you too.”

“Hey Howie!” a voice rang out from behind her. She turned to see a tall blond man enter the room. When he saw her, he smirked, moving his eyes over the curve of her body. He watched as she turned her attention back to Howie, slowly his tongue flicked out and licked his lips.

“Well I think it’s time I get going.” She smiled again and Howie. “Thank you for you time and for the interview.”

“It was my pleasure April, I will be in contact with you soon either way.” Howie replied.

April turned to leave and noticed Nick still eyeing her. “April,” she said holding out her hand.

He grabbed her hand and brought it to his mouth gently laying a kiss on the back of her hand. “Nice to meet you, my name is Nick.”

April’s cheeks felt hot and she knew she was blushing. “Thank you Nick,” She took her hand back from him and said her good-byes, again, and then made her way out the door, smitten with the soft kiss she received.
*****

Nick watched April drive away smacking his lips. The taste of her skin remained on his lips. She smelled and tasted like raspberries, a taste he was unable to know for the last thousand years. Her dazzling green eyes remained emblazoned in his brain, every time he closed his own eyes the image of hers appeared.

“It’s best that you forget her,” Howie’s voice wafted through his ears.

Nick shook his head.

Quickly Howie was at Nick’s side, head leaning against his arm, arms enveloping him and pulling him tight. “Mortal woman will never understand you my love.” He paused watching the darkening horizon, “Besides, you know the rules about avoiding the help, and that young girl is going to become part of the help.”

A small smile crept on Nick’s lips he would see her again.

“You can’t touch the help Nick, you know that.” Howie said sensing his thoughts. “But she does have a twin sister.”

Nick looked down into the older man’s eyes. “A twin?” His slight smile became wider as he leaned forward and brushed his lips against Howies’. “How wonderful.”
*****

April left the club feeling confident that she would get a call with a job offer, sure, it was as a hostess, but it was something. She parked the car carefully in the lot and then made her way to the apartment. “May,” She called out.

May wandered out of her room. “How did it go?” She asked plopping on their futon couch.

“I feel good about this one; I think I may actually have scored a job.” April felt a sense of relief saying that, but she remembered not to get her hopes up too high, she thought she had the job as manager of a bookstore two weeks ago as well.

“Well if you get this job, I think we should celebrate with a nice, hot, delivered pizza. I am getting so sick of Ramon Noodles.” May and April both made a gagging face then laughed at each other.

“May this place is wonderful. The décor is so… oh I can’t think of the words for it, but you would love it.”

May smiled at her sister and then went into the kitchen to make some of their favorite, Ramon Noodles. “Hey I got a phone call today for an interview.”

April brightened up. “Really? Where?” She asked ecstatic for her sister.

“Some record company. I will only be answering phones and directing calls if I get it, but it will be better then any fast food joint.” May stared ahead wondering if she should mention to April the phone call she got from a mysterious man telling her of the opening at the company. His voice was soothing and after she got off the phone, she called the place and an interview was set up immediately, then May needed to take a nap.

The man’s voice came back to her as she slept, soothing her, calming her. She dreamt of a man she has never met before, his crystal blue eyes and soft brown hair. She did things in her dream, with the man that she never thought of doing before. She awoke only a few minutes before April arrived home, panting and sweating as if she really did those erotic things she dreamt about.

She shook her head and decided that it was best not to tell April. She didn’t want to worry her twin, besides, she decided, it really wasn’t anything worth worrying about it was only a dream.