- Text Size +
April finished her cereal and drank all the milk left in the bowl. Her eyes were skimming the want ads out of habit. As she finished up she put her bowl in the sink and headed towards the door, it was her first day at work and she did not want to be late. There was some party that night that she had to get there early for to set up. She invited her sister as Howie told her she should when she got the job, but her sister would not need to arrive until the party started.
She arrived and found the place bustling with movement. People were setting up decorations, tables and chairs were being placed around the room. April stood in the middle of the doorway unsure of what to do or where to go.

"You look lost," A voice behind her said.

She spun around coming face to face with the tall blond, Nick. "Hello," she stammered. "You startled me."

"I have that affect on women," He smiled at her. "I thought I would come and greet you. Howie told me you got the job and I offered to help you out on your first day."

"That's very kind of you Nick." She looked around behind him. "I am unsure what I am supposed to be doing now, as in clocking in and where to put my stuff."

"Ah yes, the first question every new employee has, 'Where do I put my coat?'" He held out his arm leading her in the direction towards the back room. "Right this way." He followed her as she walked towards the room.

April walked in noting the lack of anything in the employee room. "Boy they sure make this place homey." She chuckled uneasily.

"Howie says it's to keep the employees out of the backroom and out working where they should be." He nodded as if satisfied with that answer.

"Okay," April accepted that answer. She looked around the room, the walls were steel and the only decorations the room held were lockers, a table and a few chairs.

She looked back to Nick and shrugged at him, advancing towards a locker. "I can put my stuff in any of these?" she questioned.

"Sure, any that doesn't already have locks on them." He watched as she chose a locker at mid-level, locker number 438.

"I don't have a lock," April pouted a bit. "I don't want my stuff stolen."

"Don't worry about it; I think there are a few extra around here. Let me see if I can scrounge one up for you." He moved towards another door at the back of the room. He disappeared behind it for a couple of minutes then emerged holding a shiny silver lock. "Look, I told you we'd have one." He chuckled softly. "You know, employees leaving and forgetting their locks and all."

He handed the lock to April who immediately locked her locker. "What's next?" She asked.

"Well Howie would like you to help set up the decorations. He is hoping that fresh blood will help make the room look different." He smiled at her with what she considered an evil smirk. Something disturbed her in the way he said 'fresh blood'.

She watched as the other employees set up. Everything they did seemed routine and she figured Nick just meant someone new to the scene might liven things up a bit. She smiled at Nick and made her way over to one of the workers.

"Hello," she introduced herself to one of the people carrying a chair. "My name is April. What can I do to help?"

The woman pointed to the stack of chairs in the corner. "Just bring those out here and set them up around the tables."

April rolled up her sleeves and went to the group of chairs grabbing one, sometimes two at a time and placing them around the tables. After about an hour, all the tables were set up and the crew decided to take a brief break.

"So what's going on tonight?" April asked someone sitting close to her.

"Some kind of meeting, banquet thing. It's strange because Howie told us once we are done with all the set up he's letting us go home for the night but paying us for the rest of the time." The guy shrugged.

"That's nice of him." April commented.

"Yeah well I don't know how he expects to run anything if he lets all the help go home." The young man shrugged again and turned his head towards April. "My name is Steven."

"Nice to meet you Steven, my name is April."

The two chatted some more while they set up the tables to the specifications left by Howie. They discovered that they had many of the same interests, the same kind of music, the same movies and even the same sports teams.

The time flew by and Howie appeared on the stage addressing the workers. "I thank you all for your time and patience making this place look spectacular." He paused for applause and cheers from everyone. "Now, as I promised, you may all leave knowing you will be paid for a full night's work, plus a three hundred dollar bonus, each." Another round of cheers went up through the crowds.

April walked with the rest of the crowd towards the back where her purse was locked up. On the way, she overheard some of the employees talking. "Yeah he's a strange boss letting us all go, but I don't think any place would be better to work at."

The other person nodded her head in agreement and replied. "It's probably the safest place to work too, if you know what I mean."

The two girls laughed and walked off grabbing their coats and leaving.

April got into her locker and grabbed her purse heading towards the exit with everyone else. Nick suddenly appeared beside her.

"Where do you think you are going?" He asked her playfully.

"I am leaving, like everyone else." She smiled.

"What makes you think you get to leave?" He asked smirking.

She looked at Nick confused. "Well I thought since Howie let everyone go for the night that included me as well."

Nick looked serious at her for a second and then broke down in a chuckle. "It means you can leave as well, I was just playin' with you."

Nick walked with April out to her car and then watched as she drove off. He would love it if she was allowed to stay for the meeting, but mortals were forbidden to be anywhere near Powerful One. A smile played on his lips as he thought of the day that both he and April would be able to stay and view the Powerful One. Hopefully, Brian's plan would steer the twin girls from their destiny and towards their cause instead.