- Text Size +
April looked herself up and down in the mirror making sure her uniform fit correctly. As she watched herself, she saw Alex approach from behind.

"Hey April, I was sent back here to get you. We open soon and we could really use our hostess."

April nodded. "I don't understand why I was supposed to be here before noon and then I have to be here until after midnight. Isn't that shift a little long?" She questioned Alex as they walked out of the staff room.
"Well you will have long shifts until you know what you are doing" He winked at her. "Then you will do normal eight hour shifts."

"There's my hostess," Howie approached her taking both of her hands in his. "That uniform certainly does you justice," He looked startled at his words. "That doesn't offend you that I said that does it?" He worked through many centuries, but this was the only one that complimenting a woman could get you in trouble, he was beyond understanding that.

"No, it's fine you said that." She smiled back, she might have been worried if she at least sensed that Howie was into females, but something told her that this man loved men alone.

"So tell me where I need to be." She said.
Howie took her upstairs where she did a multiple of jobs as hostess. She took coats, she delivered drinks, she ordered drinks, hell she even fluffed someone's pillow. By the end of the night, she thought of herself more as a gopher then a hostess, maybe hostess was just the polite term for gopher?

With her night almost over, a familiar voice called out to her. She turned around and noticed her sister dressed for clubbing standing with a strange man next to her.

"May, what are you doing here? Tell me you didn't come to see me working so you could make fun of me later." A smile played on her lips.

"Of course, not. This is Brian, April. I met him at work; he's the guy I told you about yesterday that I had lunch with."

April thought back to the day before and remembered vaguely what her sister told her, a headache had been forming and she just wanted to get to bed at that point.
"Oh this is the guy. Well nice to meet you." April stuck her hand out towards Brian and he shook it warmly.

"It's nice to meet you too, April."

April nodded at Brian noting his quick eye movement to her side.

"Hello, cousin." A tall man standing next to her interjected.

"Kevin, my dear man. I didn't realize you were going to be here." He looked the taller man over, eyeing him from head to toes. "I thought for sure you were still on that business trip." Not long ago Brian sent Kevin to California to take care of a woman who had fallen in love with him.

"I assure you the business has been handled." Kevin scowled at the smaller man and his sneering face.
April watched the interaction with curiosity; it was obvious these cousins had some family dispute that was seeping into their conversation. "Would you like anything to drink?" She broke the silence between the men.

April watched from the bar as the three sat at a table, Brian kept his arm wrapped around May's shoulders protectively and Kevin watched Brian carefully. Something didn't sit right when she looked at those two.

"How is your first night of official work going?" The voice behind her made her jump ten feet into the air. She turned around to face Nick.

"You scared me." She looked at him, hands on her hips, smirk on her face.

"I tend to have that effect, have I told you that before?"

April simply smiled at him, almost not hearing the bartender telling her the drinks were ready to be taken to Brian and Kevin.

"Well man, tell a waitress to take them over, this here is our hostess, just out to make sure everyone is comfortable." Nick approached her putting her arms around her and leading her away from the fuming bartender.

"How about I ask Howie if you can have the rest of the night off so we can have some time alone?" Nick asked when they were far enough away from the crowd.
April stared at Nick unsure of what to say. "Do you think he will mind?" She watched as Nick turned to find Howie unable to believe what she just asked. She was at work, her first full night on the job and already she was seeing if she could get time off. That was not the kind of employee that any boss would want to keep around. Seconds later, Howie stood in front of her.

"So Nick tells me you want some time off tonight." He started.

April shook her head, "No, I was only joking around with him, starting a conversation to make us both feel at ease."

A broad smile broke out across Howie's face. "I don't think you were joking with him." He replied.
April could feel the heat on her face as she blushed in response to her boss' accusation.

"You have my permission to go and spend time with Nick. You came in early and put extra effort forth tonight."
Relief swept over April as Nick took her by the waist and pulled her to the table Brian and May occupied. The two couples talked for the rest of the night being dropped off in the early hours of the morning to try to sleep before they needed to report to work the next day.