- Text Size +
A/N: This story is inspired after watching the memorial event honoring all the firefighters, policemen, rescue workers and paramedics, doctors, nurses, surgeons and EMS workers. It doesn’t take super powers to be a hero; a real hero is out doing his or her best to help out those around them.



“A Hero’s Heart”



~A true hero can live right next door~



**~Chapter One- The Calling~**



-July 12, 2001: Tampa, Florida. 4:56 PM.



He ripped open the large yellow envelope and sits down on his white leather sofa. Pulling out the only item in the envelope, a sheet of paper written in dark bold black lettering, he gazes at the writing and feels a smile crossing his face. His blue eyes open wide as he scans the paper, he can feel a grin emerging on his light complexion now tanned from the Florida’s sun. After training for over a year, he was about to become what he always dreamed of as a little boy. ‘A fireman’ He mouths out the words, enjoying the vibration his lips made with each word.



“This is like a dream come true.” He states, running his fingers through his blond spikes. Excitement flooded through his body and he wanted to jump and shout. It was tempting to run around and scream, “I did it! I did it! I’m gonna be a firefighter.” But he restrained himself from doing it. He can feel the pounding in his heart leap joyfully at the news he just received. He laughs and runs over to his cell phone lying on its back on top of the dining table. Nervously dialing an all too familiar number, he waits impatiently for someone to pick up the other line. “Come on, come on. Answer. I know someone’s home.” He mutters to himself, drumming his fingers impatiently on the table top. Suddenly the phone was answered on the other line and a woman spoke.



“Hello and good evening. This is the Carter residence, how can I help you?” The woman on the other line states calmly.



“Mom! Guess what!” The man states holding down the excitement in his voice as best as he could.



Laughing the mother responds, “Hey Nicky, what happened? You seem eager to tell me something, what is it?”



“You won’t believe it! I got a letter from the fire department I’ve been training in for over a year. They said I’m in! Mom, I’m in! I’m a fireman!” Nick states, excitement clearly showing in his voice; his blue eyes wide open in pure happiness.



“Oh my God! Are you serious? Congratulations sweetie! This is what you always wanted and now you get to live it!” His mother replies over the phone, her voice sounding so sweet over the phone. He can hear her yelling to the rest of the family the great news. Suddenly a different voice answered the phone.



“Hey Bro! I can’t believe it! Congrats! Mom is so happy. Hey, maybe I can stop by the fire station and say hi to you!” His little sister Angel replies.



Nick gulps knowing there was no way they can see him at work, because he won’t be working within the state fire department. He holds back his voice knowing if he said anything, his voice will crack and she would know something is up. He didn’t know how to break the news to her and anyone in the family. But he knows he has to tell them any how. Deciding to kill time before he broke the news, he looks at a CD he got yesterday through the mail, “Hey Angel, put mom back on the phone I have to finish telling her something.”



A groan was heard from her the other line, “Tell me! I’ll pass it on to her! Nick, I miss hearing your voice, you’ve been away training so hard we hardly see you anymore. I miss you.”



That statement broke Nick’s heart, he knew the transition to New York was going to be way too emotional for his family. He was always bless with a warm family that he can rely on and to break the news that they won’t see him at all once he leaves, was just too much. “Listen I miss you too. Please put mom back on.” Nick replies steadying his voice so he won’t show any sadness.



Sulking, the sister hands the phone back to his mother and Nick can hear laughing and cheering coming from behind the other line. They were shouting, “Congrat! Congrats! You’re gonna be a hero!”



“Sweetie, did ya hear everyone! We’re all so excited to see you do what you wanted for so long.” His mom states suddenly, through the loud cheers coming from the household.



Nick nods his head and nervously licks his lower lip. Of course with great news as this, Nick realized it would be bittersweet to tell his mother the dreaded news. “Mom, the fire department I’m in, is planning on recruiting me over to the New York City fire department. It seems they‘re in need of more workers and word has it that they heard about how great I am. I’m getting transferred. They want me to head over there tomorrow and begin training there immediately.” He stopped to hear the screaming stop and his mother passed on the phone to someone.



Nick’s ears rang out as his father’s voice infiltrated the phone. “Hey Boy, congrats on the job! Nice career! But what’s wrong? Your mom is crying and she doesn’t want to tell. Is something up that I should know about?”



Nick gulps, the air in his throat stops, as he chokes out the same news he just told his mother.



“Transferring you! What! Wait, you just got hired to be a full pledge firefighter and they want to send you away already. This doesn’t make sense, I mean you’re not seriously considering this are you? You can train in any department or something, but to send you away is almost ridiculous. This isn’t some kind of team where they can send and transfer you to where ever they need you. This is your home Nick, right here!” His father’s voice states strongly. But Nick knew behind such harsh words his father’s heart was breaking knowing that his eldest son will be leaving and he couldn’t be there all the time for him.



“Dad, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. You said so yourself, to achieve my goals some sacrifices will have to be made.” Nick states calmly, controlling his urge to stop the sad tears that were beginning to blur his vision.



“I know son, you’re right. What am I thinking? I’ll be there to support you no matter where you are! Come over tonight and have dinner with us. We might not have the chance later on.” Nick’s father states sadly. By now the cool tears are running down Nick’s face as he agrees to head over there in a few.



Stating bye and hanging up the phone, Nick rushes over to the bathroom sink and splashed cold water on his face. If he was going to visit his family for the last time tonight until who knows when: he wanted to at least make the effort of looking happy. He needed their support and their happiness before he flies off tomorrow to begin a new life. And he knew saying goodbye will be one of the toughest things he will have to face. But until that time came, he wanted to enjoy his moments with the people he cares about the most. He grabs his car keys and heads out the two story house he owned for over a year and locks the door behind him. Sliding into his Cadillac Escalade, he pulls out the driveway and sighs softly knowing tonight will be so difficult on him and his family.

~*~



- July 12, 2001, New York City, New York. 6:15 PM



Flipping through the channels endlessly, he found nothing until a music video by a beautiful Latin pop singer blasts through the screen.



“Kinky, ain’t she? I like that in a woman, she knows what she wants.” His friend states, entering the small entertainment area of the fire station and settles down on the sofa next to Howie.



Howie shrugs his shoulders, “I’m not really paying mind to that.” His chocolate eyes not losing focus on the sexy video by Shakira called “Suerte” (The Spanish version of ‘Whenever, Wherever’).



A.J. laughs and turns off the TV, surprising Howie.



“Yo, J man I was watching that!” Howie shouts, reaching for the remote in A.J.’s hand.



“Uh, uh. I thought you said you weren’t paying attention to that.” A.J. grinned wickedly, his chocolate eyes twinkling in delight.



Howie grumbles and sits down on a dark blue bean bag in the corner of the small room turning on some music on the stereo next to him. He passes his tanned caramel fingers through his unruly brown curls and stares at A.J. angrily.



A.J. laughs and turns back on the cable to watch another video playing on MTV. “Looke that, a pop group! I don’t get want so many girls find fascinating about those five guys there. All they do is sing and dance. They don’t even look that good to begin with.” A.J. states, running his tan caramel fingers down his goatee and passing his fingers through his black short hair.



Howie sucked his teeth, “Well lucky for you, you’re not a girl then right. Besides my sister is in love with them and she’s a grown woman.”



A.J. nods his head sadly, “Poor thing I feel for her, really I do!” He states in a sarcastic tone, placing his right hand over his chest in sympathy.



Howie rolls his eyes and gets up to join A.J. on the sofa. “If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you’re jealous of them.” Howie states holding back laughter as A.J. stood up from the worn black furry sofa and glares at him.



“I ain’t jealous of no pop group, hell I can sing better than those dweebs on MTV and I don’t have a record deal.” A.J. states confidently, clearing his throat.



“Uh oh, if the chief hears you singing, he’ll have a heart attack.” Howie snickers.



A.J. flips his middle finger at his friend and begins singing a song, causing Howie to burst out laughing.



A new firefighter transferred from Kentucky two weeks ago enters the entertainment area of the fire station to see what all the commotion was about. He spots the wild rebellious fireman singing a tune from a pop group on TV. Since transferring to the NYC firefighter ladder company 12, he felt at home with all the guys there. They made him feel welcomed since he arrived and he was glad to be a part of such brave men. In the last week, fires have broken out: most of them false, but still to see the eagerness that these men portrayed upon the incidents made him feel ecstatic. His blue eyes lit up as he recognizes the song and joins in with A.J.



A.J. and Howie stop and stare at Brian the new transferred firefighter singing his heart out. Brian’s sandy blond hair lays tossed on his head, his light white complexion and his beautiful angelic voice seem like he fell from Heaven. Brian opens his light blue eyes and smiles to see the guys were clapping and whistling in joy.



“Man I didn’t know you could sing!” Howe states mystified at Brian’s singing ability.



A.J. nods his head in agreement watching Brian in awe, “D’s right man. You got a voice. You could be the next pop star! And who knows maybe be get famous with that voice of yours.”



Brian shakes his head and blushes, “Thanks, but I wanted to be a firefighter all my life. Singing is just a hobby for me, I’d doubt that could make me money. I was part of a gospel choir when I was younger hence the singing ability.”



The lieutenant of the company appears behind Brian clapping his hands, his tall height and broad shoulders appearing menacing, “Nice singing cuz. The general commander heard your voice and wants you to sing at his little girl’s birthday party next week.”



Brian laughs and nods his head, “Ok, I’ll do it but only you all gotta sing with me.”



The shocks looks pierce at Brian, “You gotta be out of mind! You know we don’t sound that good, at least compared to you.” Howie shouts.



A.J. rolls his eyes, “Speak for yourself, I think I sounded great.”



Kevin laughs, his green eyes sparkling, he passes his light colored hands, through his black spikes. He was the oldest of the young firefighters and before becoming a firefighter he was trained as a pilot on the air force. Originally his father owned the fire station here in Manhattan but after his sudden and fatal death, the son didn’t want his father’s plans to vanish and he himself took control over the fire station with some help from the general commander and chief of the station. He trained as a firefighter and with his past experiences he was able to excel in the new occupation to become a lieutenant of the fire house.



Brian stares up at his older cousin, “Well are you in?” His southern accent appearing.



Kevin nods his head and grins, “Alright, but if we’re fired from this job cause we sounded so bad, know it was all your fault.”



The others laugh and nod their heads, “I’m down.” Howie states.



Kevin laughs and shifts his weight, “Oh wait real quick, tomorrow we’re getting a firefighter. He’s a young one, twenty two only, but the Tampa fire department wanst to transfer him here cause he’s that great.”



A.J and Brian look at each other mischievously, “Looks like we got a new prey to test out our new tricks.” A.J. whispers.



Brian chuckled and Kevin rolls his eyes. He knew tomorrow will be a long day and with a new man to join the crew, he knew things will go crazy. A.J and Brian were known to do tricks on the new recruits coming here and tomorrow wasn’t gonna change that plan. It was more like a welcoming or a tradition for tricks to get played on, ‘Poor kid, hope he handle the tricks.’ Kevin thinks to himself leading the rowdy men behind him to the dining table.

~**~



~**To Be Continued…~**