- Text Size +
“A Hero’s Heart”



**~A Hero can live right next door~**



**~Chapter 10- The Plot Thickens~**



-August 16th 2001. 5:32 PM. New York City, New York. Central Park West, 23rd street. Fire Company Twelve Station.



He drums his fingers impatiently on the wooden rickety table as he waits for Brian to come back to the meeting. He decided to talk with the guys alone without other interruptions. He peers his bored emerald eyes on A.J who is making Nick laugh with a joke he thought of the other day. He feels a grin on his face as he watches the two men beside him laugh. Howie taps Kevin on the shoulder, surprising him.



“Hey Kev. Why you call us here?” Howie asks, his dark eyes penetrating at Kevin.



Kevin sighs and looks around the small conference room in the fire station. “You’ll see. Once Brian gets here, we’ll begin.”



Nick interrupts suddenly, “Hey I like to begin this meeting now before the sun goes down. I want to get my game on.” He says smirking, tossing his basketball to the basket ball stand. The orange ball bounces off the rim and rolls on the black waxed tiles.



“You missed.” A voice said coming from the doorway as Brian enters it.



Nick smirks and rolls his bright blue eyes. “You think you can do better than me?”



Brian chuckles, “I know I’m better than you.”



Kevin raises his hands and stands up silencing the playful men, “Alright, play after. We have to attend to business right now.” And with that pulls out a manila folder and opens it, spreading out 8 by 10 black and white photos over the table.



Howie picks one up and peers at it in interest. “Whoa, Kevin. Where did you get these pictures from?” His mahogany eyes trace the picture in his tan colored hands.



A.J. leans next to Howie and grabs another photo on the table, his mouth drops open at the horrific photo in his hands. He runs his fingers though his black and dyed red hair in nervousness. “Whoa, I think this is some serious problem we’re having.” He whispers, leaning back on the metal chair.



Howie gulps and nods his head as Kevin whistles loudly to Nick and Brian who are fighting over who will hold the basketball.



“You guys this is serious, pay attention!” Kevin says as Brian and Nick both nod their heads and sit down each on a metal folding chair.



Brian holds his breath as his ocean blue eyes scan the graphic photos in front of him. He could feel his heart racing at the sight of the site of the destroyed buildings and lives captured in the photos.



Nick leans over the table and stretches out his hand nervously grabbing a photo. He pulls it to him and takes a closer look, examining it.



Howie breaks the silence besides the humming of the air conditioner, his voice almost a whisper in the silent room, “Where did you get these photos?” He asks, clearing his throat and staring at the other three in the room.



Kevin sighs and picks a photo up from the table, staring it as he speaks. “Lawrence gave them to me yesterday. The police station nearby the area took some pictures and passed it along to him. He figured I showed you the photos and tell me what you think.”



Brian gulps, “What you think our answer will be? This is sick. I mean who ever is doing this has to get captured. Not only are buildings causing destruction but too many lives are at stake.”



“I say we find the bastard that’s the cause of this and let him die in his own plot. Burn him and watch the fire eat him.” A.J. states, his voice reflecting the hurt and anger.



Nick nods his head, “I’m down with A.J’s plan. I say we go get more info and track the guy down. Then do what A.J. planned.” He says softly, pulling out a lighter from his pocket and flicking it open. He watches the small flame dance around in the cool quiet room. A small breeze filters from a small crack in a window, causing the small flame to sway.



Brian snatches the lighter away from Nick and watches the blonde man next to him, “Since when you smoke?”



“I don’t. I always owned this lighter. Fire always intrigued me. How small yet powerful it can be. How from one small flame a fire can start.” Nick states in a dream like gaze.



A.J. intakes a deep breath and bites his lower lip staring at Howie besides him. “I don’t know what to think of this.”



Brian nods his head, “You guys realize this is the third fire station in the city the arsonist burned down. It’s like he’s doing a pattern. I mean it started in Brooklyn and he’s making his way over here.”



“Which is why we need to make every precaution we can to be prepared for this man.” Kevin states gathering the photos from the table and placing them back in the folder. “This meeting is done, you guys can go now.” He says softly, tucking away the photos in the manila folder.



Brian, A.J. and Nick get up from their seats and make their way to the door. Howie grabs Kevin’s shoulder from behind and wait till the other three exited the room. He stands in front of Kevin with concern on his tan golden skin. “Kevin. Something’s bothering you, what is it? You seemed so preoccupied lately. I know something’s up, you’ve been too quiet.”



Kevin sighs and stares at the open door eyeing it to make sure the others were gone. He could trust Howie and he felt if he didn’t tell one of the guys, he’ll only be worrying himself to death. “Look.” He begins whispering, hoping the other three were out of ear shot. “I’ve been receiving some sticky news about how an attack on the nation could be coming. It hasn’t told for certain. But from what I was told, it could lead to severe tragedies up ahead.”



Howie gulps, “Severe tragedies? Like what?” Howie whispers, his eyes wide open.



Kevin shrugs his shoulders, “Don’t know yet. No one knows how exactly, but the attack could be serious.”



Howie shakes his head and runs his fingers down his face as he walks over to window staring at the grand towers before him. The World Trade Center glimmered brightly in the bright hazy sunlight. “So what do you propose we do about those attacks?”



Kevin sighs and stretches out his arms, cracking his knuckles. “Let’s worry about one thing at a time, ok D.”



Howie nods his head and passes his hand over his short brown locks. “Ok.” And with that follows Kevin out the room.

~*~



A.J. flips through the channels endlessly until he stopped at what seemed like his friend singing. A.J. leans closer at the television screen to get a better look at the young boy singing in the television. Something about that boy reminded him of Nick. Could it be the short blonde locks and the similar face features? He couldn’t really identify it but that boy sort of looked like Nick. He places the television on mute and whistles at Nick who’s sitting on the dark blue bean bag with headphones on listening to some rock music. “Nick!” He shouts unsuccessfully as no response was heard. Growling at Nick’s direction, he gets up and grabs the cd player from Nick’s hands. Pushing on the off button, he stares at Nick.



Nick glares at him and shouts, “Why you did that? What’s your problem? I was in the middle of my song.”



A.J. rolls his dark eyes and points to the television. “Were you gonna tell me you had a famous brother? Or was I just suppose to know?” He asks, eying the fidgeting man before him.



Nick lets out a loud sigh and rolls his eyes, “I didn’t want to make a big deal out of it. Yeah he’s famous. And I’m not.” He says sadly.



A.J. lowers his eyes at Nick, “You want to be famous?”



“It’s not that, it’s just well it would be nice to do what my brother does. He tells me all the time how much fun he’s having when he travels. You know he’s been around the world more than two times and the furthest I’ve ever been is here.” Nick says quietly, watching the music video fading to black on the television.



A.J. smirks and breaks into a laugh, “I thought I was the only one feeling that way.”



“Huh? What you think about it all the time too?” Nick asks confused.



A.J. nods his head and pats Nick’s shoulder, “Buddy trust me when I say, that what we’re doing has better benefits than the music world could ever offer.”



“How long did it take you to believe that statement?” Nick states, smiling.



A.J. chuckles, “Two days, no, no wait make that more like two weeks.”



Suddenly the fire alarm goes off, the loud pounding noise screeching in the station, the red lights blink and glow brightly warning the firefighters that something is up. A.J. sighs, “Looks like an emergency.”



“Maybe it’s the arsonist!” Nick shouts over the blaring alarm noise.



Brian runs into the lounge room, his blue eyes wide open in surprise, “You guys the station down Union street was struck by the arsonist! We gotta head over there now!” He states running out the room throwing on the fire fighter attire.



Nick gulps as his heart hammers against his chest. He quickly rushes out the room and grabs the firefighter coat and pants, throwing it on himself. A.J. does the same and both quickly throw the attire on and tops it off with the helmet. Kevin smiles and pats Nick on the shoulder, “Hey I won’t let anything happen to you, ok.”



Nick nods his head and for that moment felt comforted.



Howie helps Nick board in the engine as follows up behind him as Kevin and Brian rush to the front of the engine. Kevin takes the passenger’s seat as Brian gets the driver’s seat. A.J. hops in the back with the other two and claps his hand. “Ok guys, we’re gonna get this guy and burn his a…”



“Ahhh!” Howie’s scream interrupts A.J. Nick laughs as he flicks the quite large furry spider that had suddenly appeared on Howie’s shoulder.



“D, it’s gonna be ok. It’s off your shoulder.” Nick states happily.



Howie glares at him and looks at A.J manically.



A.J. simply smiles and shrugs his shoulders innocently. “Hey it’s off you right. I had nothing to do with it.”



And with that the engine pulls away, the siren blasting through the station as the fire alarm on the top of the engine glows brightly and begins twirling. Brian fidgets in his seat and clutches the steering wheel as he drives out the station. Brian through all the noise: glances at Kevin besides him. He sees his cousin with his eyes closed whispering something to himself.



Brian leans in to hear what Kevin was mumbling to himself and was surprise to hear Kevin praying. Brian gulps and focuses on the road in front of him hoping that God heard Kevin’s prayer and that no one was dead when they arrive.

~**~



**~To Be Continued…~**