- Text Size +
“A Hero’s Heart”

-A Hero can live right next door-

**~Chapter Thirteen- The Slaying of a Dragon~**

-August 29th 2001. 7:46 PM. New York City, New York. Central Park West 23rd street. Fire Company twelve fire house.

He yawns and sits up in the bed rubbing the sleep away from his eyes. He was lucky he didn’t share his room with the other firefighters for they would be concerned for his health. Sleep hasn’t been easy for him with all the troubles he experienced this past month. It’s been a month since the arsonist has been on the loose and a week since Adam’s funeral. Through all that time, Kevin was amazed that the arsonist hasn’t been captured. Two mafia men managed to get caught through out the time being but the fire starter was still loose. He gets up and walks over to the dresser scrounging and flipping through pages to find what he wrote the day of Adam’s funeral. He peers next to the dresser to the trash can and recalled he had dropped the paper in there. Reaching in the nearly empty paper filled small trash can, he pulls out the paper he was looking for. Taking out the creases from the wrinkled paper, he sits down and pulls out a black ink pen to jot down more ideas and thoughts he wanted to express. He sighs and scratches the side of his black raven spiked hair and gazes at the paper waiting for an idea to hit him. His emerald eyes stare at the wrinkled paper:

Life goes on as it never ends
Eyes of stone observe the trends
They never say forever gaze

Suddenly the door to his room opens as an excited Nick peers in, “Hey Kev, Whatcha doing?” Nick asks softly, the look of curiosity appearing in his ocean blue eyes.

Kevin smirks, “Writing, nothing important if you wanna know. Nick come here and tell me what you think of this” He states holding up the sheet of paper with his writing on it.

“Oh cool.” Nick states and walks over reaching for the paper. He scans the paper quickly and sticks his lower lip out in amazement. “Wow, this is pretty deep. Is this a song?” He asks curiously staring at his friend who seemed exhausted.

“No.” Kevin states confused and surprised. “It’s what I was feeling the day of Adam’s funeral. Just my thoughts that’s all.”

“Oh wow. Cool. No, what I mean is that it’s cool you wrote down your feelings, not that you had to feel sad to write.” Nick states the confusion arising in his voice. He drums his fingers on the mahogany dresser nervously believing that he felt he made a complete fool of himself.

Kevin laughs and nods his head, “It’s ok Nick. I understand you strangely enough.” He states sitting on a leather recliner.

Nick smirks and watches the evening sunset stream through the window in the room as the strange silence between the two dwell. “Oh, look at this.” As Nick picks up the black pen and scribbles something on the paper, adding to what Kevin wrote.

Guilty roads to an endless love
There’s no control
Are you with me now?
Your every wish will be done
They tell me…

Then Nick looks up and stares at Kevin, “Well that’s all I got so far. What do you think?”

Kevin nods his head, “Wow, this is good. You’re a pro.” He states amazed.

Suddenly the door to Kevin’s room burst open as Brian, Howie and A.J. all try to fit through the doorway to get to the room. A.J. being the slimmest, slips between Brian and Howie and laughing races over to the large television in Kevin’s room. He flips through the channels and lands on the live news.

“Kevin you won’t believe this! Watch the news! Look at what happened!” Brian states laughing. Howie smiles and claps when the news begins. Nick and Kevin face the television and watch as a reporter and a camera zooms in to a white slim masked man getting arrested and led to a police car. The reporter talks stating that the man was about to light up and burn the fire station located in the upper west side. But was caught suddenly and arrested when in the act of ignition and lighting the bombs strategically placed around the station.

“The fire starter is now caught and the community can now live in peace. This man will be in jail for a long time so no worries. This is Angela Houghton from the channel five news, reporting to you live on the scene as the arsonist is captured.” And A.J. turns off the TV, staring at Kevin’s face eagerly.

“Well? Dude the guy is caught!! Can you believe it? We don’t have to worry about the sicko anymore. The Mafia went down with that little plot of theirs and come to find out it came to be from the sick demented minds of the few weirdo’s who thought that fire would look interesting on fire stations. It looks like the police have been tracking them for while. For over two months now and they traveled to different states.” Howie states, his soft dark tan glows in the evening sun coming through the window.

“Man did that sick man have to come here of all places?” Brian asks, shaking his head.

Darrel and Chief Lawrence walked into the room with grins on their faces. “Will you look at that? That little son of gun was caught.” Darrel states, his light chocolate eyes stare at the TV screen before him.

Lawrence claps his hands loudly to catch the others attention, his grey eyes stare at the men in the room. “I say we go out and celebrate. This bastard was caught and the city is safe again.”

A.J smiles and yet in his heart he feels a ting of hurt from his loss of Adam. “At least now, Adam can truly rest in peace.”

Nick nods his head and grabs the paper on Kevin’s dresser, “Ooh, ooh, guys check this out. Me and Kevin wrote this.”

Howie yawns and take the paper, smiling. Brian and A.J. lean over as Darrel and chief Lawrence stare in confusion at what the others are reading.

“Wow, you guys wrote this. This is nice. Maybe we can all add what we felt about that day to this song.” Brian states, as he reaches for a pen to jot down some more lines. He writes his feelings above the two guys verses and this is what he wrote:

So many words for the broken heart
It’s hard to see in a crimson love
So hard to breathe
Walk with me, and maybe

Then A.J. reading the words on the paper, snatches the sheet and races over to the dresser to write down his feelings below Brian’s verse. The rest of the guys all look confused and Chief Lawrence and Darrel watch as silence consumes the room.

Nights of light so soon become
Wild and free I could feel the sun
Your every wish will be done
They tell me…

Darrel leans over the dresser next to A.J. impressed as Lawrence scratches the side of his bald head in confusion. The silence in the room seems strange compared to all the noise outside with the honking of car horns and people talking as they pass by the station.

The eerie quietness lurks in the room until Jalisa enters the room with a note. Her light brown eyes twinkle in nervousness “Hey, hey guys I think you might wanna read this.” She states anxiously handing the small note to chief Lawrence. His big chocolate hands grab the note and his grey eyes scan it.

“Well one beast in down and another beast arises.” The deep resounding voice of Lawrence states. Sighing he whistles to get the attention of the guys. “We have a big problem you guys. The police is tracking down some unexpected activities occurring in some plane testing classes down in Florida. I think we should have a meeting about how this can be a danger tonight at nine. So you can get some dinner and we as a whole company, that includes you too Jalisa, will figure out what clues are being noted from here.”

Nick shrugs his shoulders, “What illegal activities?”

“Drop it Nick.” A.J. murmurs under his breath.

“What, I wanna know.” Nick states, “I mean he can’t leave it like this and then go to a meeting not knowing the details.”

Lawrence glares at Nick and shakes his head. “Kevin I suggest you talk with your young firefighter here why there will be a meeting. His questions will get answered there.” And with that Chief Lawrence leaves the room leaving an alarmed Darrel behind.

“Well that’s unusual for the chief to get a bit jumpy like that. Guess we should watch what we say huh?” Darrel states, his tan face getting sweaty with the intense heat permeating through the window.

Nick gulps, “Man what’s up his a…”

“A choo.” A.J. sneezes at the same time, interrupting Nick’s statement. As Kevin slaps Nick on the back of his head, “Watch your mouth.” He smirks as all five men happy that one danger is solved and yet anxious about the new one that will happen, leave the room waiting to see what will be foretold in the meeting.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**