- Text Size +
A/N: Welcome readers to a new chapter to this story. Due to the details and emotions I want to express on the particular day, this chapter will be divided into two or three chapters. This is the first part of the day that changed a nation forever. The day it happened I was on the train heading into Manhattan- NYC to get to school. When I reached my first class 30 minutes late, I knew why. I met a man who was employed there and had escaped as one of the Towers were falling, he himself was covered in soot from the falling debris. I also met man who volunteered his time to help out. These two people gave the inspiration to write this story. To all who knew a person or witnessed the tragic events, this story will touch you. To all that have risked their own lives to save victims of the catastrophe, thank you and take care. Please leave a review or e-mail me what you think of this chapter. Until later, take care.



“A Hero’s Heart”



**~ “Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much”. –Helen Keller



**~Chapter Seventeen- Heroes Wanted~**



-September 11th 2001. 6:41 AM. New York City, New York. Central Park West, 23rd street. Fire Company Twelve.



He shoots the basketball into the hoop and watches it bounce softly on the pavement. He couldn’t sleep well last night thinking about the late call that was made to the fire station. He recalled he had to go along with the four guys as well as Darrel to a highway where a car accident occurred. It seemed it was two drunken teenagers in a car and the passenger sitting next to the driver died in the mist of the crash. It was a tragic incident and the bodies couldn’t be pulled out the trampled car that had flipped and rammed into some trees. Brian had recalled the thick branches piercing the soft flesh of the two teenagers as they screamed in shock. The young woman who was the passenger didn’t survive the crash but the driver, her boyfriend survived through luck because of the seatbelt and safety bag the car provided.



The orange ball rolls past his feet as he picks up the ball and shoots again, the ball bouncing around the hoop before falling in. Brian sighs and gazes at the soft yellow sky as the sun begins to rise slowly. He smiles and takes in a deep breathe of the warm morning air.



“It’s gonna be another warm day B.” Darrel states joining Brian at the small basketball court connected to the back of the firehouse.



“Yup.” Brian states: dribbling the ball before shooting another shot.



Darrel smirks and snatches the ball away dribbling past Brian swiftly and slam dunking the ball into the hoop perfectly.



“Show off.” Brian states, smirking.



Darrel smiles, his light brown eyes twinkling in glee. His light brown hair lies tussled in sleep as his caramel complexion glows in the morning sunlight. “Brian, I told you David made it to the state championship with his team right?”



Brian shakes his head no and smiles trying to snatch the ball away from Darrel. David who is Darrel’s eldest son attending the last year of high school loved basketball and excelled in all his courses, the child was a prodigy in his father’s eyes. David carried the same features as his father and when visiting the station was often mistaken for his father: not that Darrel didn’t mind that. In fact it amused him quite a bit.



“Well now you know.” Darrel states, shooting the ball straight the hoop.



Brian laughs, his ocean blue eyes bright in the morning light. He rubs his hands through his dirty blonde locks messily and heads back to the station.



“Whoa, wait, B. What’s the rush? I thought you could take me on. What happened? Too scared?” Darrel states smiling, teasing Brian.



Brian stops and turns back to face Darrel, grabbing his lower lip, he smirks, “I don’t think you can handle this.” He says laughing and grabs the basketball ready to play against Darrel.

~*~

-September 11th 2001. 6:45 am. New York City, New York. Central Park West, 23rd street

Nick sighs and stares at the white ceiling. Last night was something he couldn’t get out of his head. He recalled seeing the damaged dead body of the young woman under the twisted metal and he couldn’t get the horrific images out of his head. The torn flesh and the crimson blood that drained from the accident of the victims in the overturned car last night was an image he couldn’t easily forget.



He turns to the window and sees Brian playing basketball with Darrel. Nick smiles and rolls over to the edge of the top bunk bed he’s on to see what A.J .was doing. As usual at this time, A.J. was curled under the cool white covers, sleeping peacefully. Nick sighs and leans his head back on the pillow. A small tapping coming from the door, aroused the sleepy Nick and grumbling, jumps off the bunk to answer the front door. It was Jalisa.



Smiling, her light brown eyes glitter. “Sorry if it’s early, but I just wanted to let you know that there’s gonna be a big breakfast down in about an hour at the dining room. Just let sleeping beauty over there know, ok.” She points to A.J. who is still sleeping.



Nick smirks and shakes his head, “Aight., he’ll be there, it’s food, we won’t be late.”



Jalisa waves bye and walks down the hallway to remind Howie and Kevin.



Nick raises his eyebrows and watches Jalisa disappear down the hall until she turned the corner.



“Man, can you make it more obvious, Nick. You’re eyes were glued to her since you opened the door.” Mumbles a sleepy A.J. smirking at the blonde man.



Nick rolls his eyes and heads to the bathroom as A.J.’s laughter follows him to the shower.

~*~



-September 11th, 2001. 8:16 am. New York City, New York. Central Park West, 23rd street. Fire station twelve.



Kevin pushes the plate away in disgust, “No more please. I’m stuffed.” He states smiling, his emerald eyes glittering in delight.



Howie laughs, “Same here, I’m actually full myself.” His chocolate eyes shining in the soft florescent light of the dining room.



Jalisa clears away the dishes along with the help of Brian, Nick and A.J. Chief Lawrence smirks and leans back on his chair turning on the large screen television they have hanging on the wall. He flips to talk show and watches it as the soft laughter and quiet talking fills the room of the entire fire company.



Rose gathers some plates and along with Anita carries them to the kitchen to place them in a dishwasher. Lawrence watches the others and smile, a beautiful morning to a wonderful breakfast. There is something in the air that smelled of soft fresh flowers and morning dew and Lawrence grins, yep it was the start of good morning.

~*~



-September 11th, 2001. 8:46 am. New York City, New York. Central Park West, 23rd street. Fire Station Twelve.



Lawrence stands up to change the channel on the television until the fire alarm goes off in the station.



Jalisa runs into the dining room confused, “There isn’t a call for the anything.”



Nick, Brian, Howie, Kevin, A.J., Rose and Anita stare at the television as they can hear a loud thunderous sound of an earthquake shattering a nearby building. Rose runs to the window in time to see an airplane flying too close to the ground and crashes into the North building. Rose screams out, her blue orbs shot open to see the plane collide into the metal of the building.



The television shows a plane traveling from Boston flying to New York unexpectedly. A reporter’s voice states that American Flight 11 from Boston crashes into the North Building of the World Trade Center. Jalisa runs into her office and watches the scene from the window there.



Jalisa screams, as the company rushes into the office to see the disastrous result of Tower one, the North building burning from the gaping hole from the plane crash. The large flame of fire explodes to burn more of the metal building.



“THE PEOPLE!!! THE PEOPLE!!!” Brian screams out as he sees the traffic on the street stop causing a riot.



Jeff , the deputy firefighter, calls that he, Lawrence, Darrel and the others in the company head out. Kevin grabs his firefighter jacket and was about to board the engine but was stopped by Lawrence as the fire fighters runs around to get ready to be called out.



Lawrence pulls Kevin’s arm and pulls him away from the engine. “NO! You stay here with the other four boys and the teens. Three engines from this station will be used. Howie call the paramedics from upper west side, we’re heading out. See you guys later!” And with that boards the back of the engine and pulls away from the station exiting the area.



Kevin gulps down the nervousness and runs back to the others. Nick already to head out, looks at Kevin confused.



“I thought we’re heading out.” Nick asks, putting on the fire boots.



“We are, but not yet. Lawrence states we stay here until we’re needed.” Kevin whispers as he looks out the window to see the large flames spreading the building. “There’s too much traffic right now. I don’t know if they can make it.”



Howie grimaces and buttons his fire coat, “I’m going.”



Kevin glares at him and grabs his arm, “Not yet. What are you gonna do without any equipment?”



“I can get the people out of there. Come on, let’s walks it and get the people to safety.” Howie states, combing his dark brown hair with his tan fingers.



A.J. smiles, “Let’s go.” And runs out the station with Howie. Nick and Brian suck their teeth and run after the other two out the station.



Kevin shakes his head as Jalisa pats his shoulder, “They can’t help saving others, it’s their job. Go, cause I know you’re dying to help out as well. I’ll stay with the other firefighters and I’ll alert you if something gets bad ok.”



Kevin smiles and hugs Jalisa tightly as he laughs. “Thanks, see I knew we had you here for a reason.” He runs out the station laughing as he tries to catch up with the other guys.

Anita looks out the window and gulps, “You think it’s safe to send them out like that?” Her dark chocolate complexion glittering in the bright sunlight coming from the window. She passes her hand gently over her black braids and gazes at Jalisa in concern.



Jalisa shrugs her shoulders, “They’re gonna do what they gonna do, and I can’t stop them.” She says smiling watching the five men of the company running down the streets.



Rose walks up to window and gasps watching the people screaming and pointing at the burning building. Her blonde locks tied in a pony tail, blow gently in the soft breeze. Her ocean eyes scan the flames in the building and shakes her head in confusion. “What caused the accident? Was it an accident? Did the pilot fly too close and couldn’t get the plane out in time?” No one responded to her question, only the screams of outside answered back.



Jalisa turns on the television in her office and watches the news to keep up to date at what could be the real cause and if it is just an accident with the plane. Suddenly Rose screams out in horror as she stares out the window. Anita covers her mouth in shock as Jalisa runs to the window to see some unfortunate souls jumping out the window of the burning Tower in their last attempt to escape their fiery death.



Jalisa states in shock and whispers, “They’re gonna die either way, it’s too late for them.” And she throws her arm around Anita and Rose in comfort waiting to see what will happen next. Her heart thumped against her heart as she sees a body topple out of the building. She closes her eyes and starts to wish it all away and hopes that it was just an accident that occurred but that will change all in a few minutes.

~*~

-September 11th 2001. 9:03 am. New York City, New York. Greenwich Street, World Trade Center.



A.J. and Howie were the first to reach the burning building. Different fire companies were already at work taking people out the building and trying to control the overwhelming flames. A.J. eyes the building as innocent curious people stare in complete confusion at the accident.



“What are you waiting for?” Brian asks catching up to the two.



Howie shrugs his shoulders and smiles, “Glad you could make it.. I say we take the people coming out the building to the small coffee shop and make sure they’re ok. Then divide up and take the lower lever floors until we can get a chance to move up and get the others out.”



Kevin smiles, “Ok, well let’s move!” He clasps his hands and rushes towards the building until he hears what seems like another plane and gazes up to see the United Flights airline crash onto the side of the South Tower. A blast of fire ignites from the crash and the ground shakes like a violent earthquake. An array of screams and gasps erupted from the public that had gathered to witness the horror of the crash.



“Kevin wait!” Nick screams out, his light skin seems to have lost color and he stands there pale in shock. “Don’t go in there! It’s too dangerous!”



Kevin stands there and watches the second tower burn in pain. Howie clutches his Cross necklace and gulps as more windows from the upper levers of the Tower break with people falling out to meet their death. Bodies land with a sicken splat on the concrete as glass shards crash. The guys looks on to hear the crashing of some more windows breaking, the glass shards clatter to the ground as some employees from the Towers took their last flight in the air before reaching the ground, their death. The fire was spreading fast in the upper levels of the building and some people were stuck in those floors. Some chose to fall out the window rather then to burn with the fire. A.J. stares in shock, his eyes witnessed to the most traumatic experience he has ever seen. The incident will be worse before it can begin to get better.

~**~



**~To Be Continued…~**