- Text Size +
A/N: Yea! I’m back with a new chapter! I’m writing this story along with another story I posted up in the action part called “Troubling Gifts” Remember it doesn’t take much to be a hero, all one has to do is help those around them. This story is dedicated to all the heroes in New York that risked their lives on that dreadful September morning. Please leave a review or e-mail me at bluekitten11436@aol.com to leave a review. Until later bye and take care!



“A Hero’s Heart”



- A hero can live right next door- unknown



~**Chapter Two- Meeting Destiny~**



-July 13, 2001: Tampa, Florida. 8:30 am.



He opens the trunk of his silver Cadillac Escalade and flings the last suitcase in there. Closing the trunk, he sighs: thinking about last night. It was depressing to see how his family was all crying with joy yet with a bit of indignation in their voices. He didn’t want his family at the air-port, it would hurt too much to see his mother all sad. He decided to go there on his own, without his family it would be easier to board the plane. His father would later come to get his car, he reserved a spot in the parking lot and hoped his father would remember to pick the car up. He turns around at the sound of gravel spraying. He sees his younger brother running up to him out of breath. “Hey buddy, what are you doing here? I thought you’re on tour.” Nick whispers, knowing if he speaks anymore his shattered heart will break into more pieces. And right now he didn’t need that happening. He needs to be strong and crying won’t help him out.



Brown eyes stare back at him under similar blond locks. “I, I can’t believe this is it. I mean mom called me last night from the tour and I had to head back here to see you. Is this it? I mean are you leaving just like that?” Aaron asks sadly, his brown eyes filling with tears. “You know I won’t see you as it is. With me on tour and you living in New York, it’s gonna be hard. Are you coming back here to visit?”



“Of course, how can you ask that? I love you, mom, dad and the girls. You think me living there will make me forget you.” Nick asks incredulously.



Aaron shakes his head, “Sorry, it was stupid to ask, but I wanna know that you’ll be ok. That you can come back and not say that this is the last time I’ll ever see you again. You know dad said this is a dangerous job. Something could happen to you and we might never see you again.” Aaron asks, soft tears staining his light tan face.



Nick gulps and did his best to hold back his own tears, but again failed and let the tears trail down his face. “Don’t ever think that way! I’ll come back! Please don’t ever say that again, you hear me.” He whispers softly.



Aaron sniffs and held back some tears, “Sorry. God, I’ll miss you!” He states running to his brother and throwing his arms around Nick’s shoulder, giving him a tight hug.



Nick clutches his younger brother in a hug and lets the tears fall down on his face. “I’ll miss you too.” Trying to leave without a depressing moment like this, Nick wanted to see his brother smile and laugh for the last time until he can find time to visit and see him again. “Hey listen, you got any of those girl’s numbers on you that were at your concert? Let them know that you have an older brother who’s interested to know if they have an older sister. And I’m very single for them.”



This statement got a laugh out of Aaron and he nods his head, “Sure thing bro, though they probably wouldn’t believe me!”



Nick laughs, “Hey I’m sorry I’m not famous like you! But I’m trying over here.”



Aaron laughs and his brown eyes glitter in joy, “You’ll always be a hero in me and mom’s eyes. And you don’t need fame to tell you that.”



Nick smiles softly at what his brother stated, “Hey, I’ll buy you a present for your fourteenth birthday. I’ll be back by then to see you guys.”



Aaron nods his head and smiles, “K, that be cool.”



Nick pushes his brother back playfully, “Tell mom I’ll call her when I get to New York.” He states boarding his car. “Take care bro. I love you.” Nick says, waving bye as he pulls out the driveway. Nick kept his eyes on the street as he pulls his car out. He couldn’t bear to see the hurt sad look on his brother’s face. He sticks his head out the side of the car window, “Aaron, remind dad to meet me there so he can pick my car up at the airport. It’ll be in lot 5 near my gate.”



Aaron nods his head and waves goodbye too depressed to answer back. And with that, Nick pulls away from his house, the hurt gnawing in his heart. He drives slowly down the street and glances one last time at the front yard of his house where the figure of Aaron begins to get smaller as Nick drives further away from the house. Nick looks back again to see his house and Aaron disappear from his view and Nick sighs knowing today his life will begin a new.

~*~



~July 13, 2001: Queens, New York. JFK Airport. 10:30 am.



He closes his eyes and suddenly opens it when something smacked the back of his head. Glaring around the wide waiting room in the airport, he found the culprit. “Can I ask why you did that?” He growled at A.J.



A.J. shrugs his shoulder, “Don’ know, I was bored and you looked too happy sleeping. You can’t be happy if I’m not!” He states, a large grin appearing on his caramel complexion.



“Screw you Alex.” Kevin muttered under his breath loudly.



A.J. gasped, “Oh by Heavens no! This isn’t the right place and we can always have time for that later.” A.J. states in a joking matter.



Brian rolls his eyes and Howie muffles his laughter from what A.J. said.



Kevin grumbled, “It was a rhetorical question, wise mouth.”



Brian busts out laughing, “We all knew what you were gonna say!”



Kevin was known for his foul language and decided as a New Year’s resolution that he was going clean up his language and he’s succeed so far. And nothing, not even A.J.’s little antics was gonna mess that up. “Whatever, just look out for the kid will ya?”



“Just curious but Kev, do you know what the new recruit looks like?” Howie asks sitting besides Kevin in the soft plush seats.



Kevin shrugs his shoulders and A.J. responds for him, “D, I take that as a hell no. I bet he doesn’t know what the heck we’re all suppose to look for. I bet this new guy is all buff and built and will make us all insecure with his strength. If he’s as young as he looks, I bet he’s cocky too. And let me tell ya, if that’s the case, he’ll be hearing it from me!”



Laughter follows that statement from the other guys as A.J. smirks and glances around towards the gate they were waiting near by. Suddenly a black screen above the gate shows red lettering, letting them know that the plane has arrived. A woman’s voice fills the speaker, “Ladies and Gentlemen, Flight 24 from Tampa, Florida is now arriving at gate 7. Please wait for the passengers at the entrance of the gate and clear a path for the arriving passengers. Thank you for flying American Airlines.”



A.J. rubs his hands, “Let’s see this kid. He better be nice or he’s sleeping with Kevin. Cause I won’t share a room unless he gets on my good side.”



Howie pats A.J., chocolate eyes meeting chocolate eyes, “I’m sure he’ll be just like you Alex.”



“Uh, uh, I hope not! One Alex is one too many as it is!” Brian states, his southern accent coming out as his blue eyes twinkle mischievously at A.J. Howie laughs and notices Kevin talking to tall blond haired man. The man has broad shoulders at stands at an incredible height of six feet two inches. “Dag, he’s taller than Kev. He’s a big one.” Brian muttered, his blue eyes staring at the man.



“Well I guess that’s him, judging by the way Kevin is talking to him.” Howie states. “Let’s go and introduce ourselves, we don’t wanna give the new recruit a bad impression.” Pushing a quiet and surprised A.J. towards the gate, Howie waves to the new man.



“Hi, I’m Howard, but you can call me Howie or just D if you like.” Howie states happily shaking hands with the newcomer. The man smiles and shakes Howie’s hand. “Wow, strong grip you got there.” Howie states surprised.



The man smiles, his blue eyes a bit swollen maybe from crying. Howie knew how it felt. He remembered when he was transferred to the New York fire department two years ago how difficult it was to leave his family and friends that he knew all his life. And judging by the new man’s face, that must have happened to him.



“I’m Nick.” The man says smiling at Howie’s direction.



Brian and A.J. stick their hands out shaking Nick’s. “Hiya! I’m Brian, this here is A.J. He’s a bit moody cause he didn’t get any last night.”



A.J. glared at Brian and pushes Brian away roughly. “As you can tell, our friend Brian, or Rok as we call him, wouldn’t know what it feels to be next to a woman since his wife is a couple of states away.”



Brian snorts and laughs, “Hey at least I have a woman!”



“I have one too, I just ain’t whipped by her.” A.J. states smiling, all the while making a whipping sound.



The guys laugh and continue to playfully joke around with each other.



Brian looks back at Nick and helps carry some of the suitcases. “If you don’t mind me asking, how old are you? You seem to look so young to be in such a business.”



Nick smirks, “Twenty one and I promise I’m good at what I do.”



Brian whistles and calls out to A.J., “Hey did ya hear that? Nicky boy here says he’s good at what he does, I’m thinking A.J. you just found your missing roommate.”



Howie, Kevin, A.J and Nick laugh as they cross the parking lot.



Nick smiles and follows the four men to a waiting car. ‘I guess it won’t be that bad, they all look real young too. I’ll fit in.” Nick thinks to himself and smiles, “I gotta call my mom, hold up.”



A.J. turns and makes a high voice, “Is my baby calling momma? You go ahead and be the nice southern boy you are. You so precious now.” A.J. states pinching Nick’s cheeks as the rest of the guys laugh in hysterics.



Nick shakes his head and smiles, he knows he will definitely fit in alright.

~**~



**~TO BE CONTINUED…~**