- Text Size +
A/N: Hola, my readers, I believe this is it, we’re nearing the end of this story, don’t get sad though: cause I’m writing plenty of other stories in this site that will keep you craving for more. Though I love writing this story because it can relate to all of us, I must soon end it. Thanks for all your love and support on this story, don’t forget to review cause it’ll help me out so much in my sanity! Hehe. *grins* For now, take care and I’m out.

“A Hero’s Heart”

-“…they call me superman, I’m here to rescue you…”- ‘Superman’, Eminem.

**~Chapter Twenty-two- Opening Another Door~**

-September 21st, 2001. 10:10 am. Queens, NY. JFK Airport.

He paces around the lobby nervously fingering the plane ticket. He glances down to see his watch and sighs. In about a half an hour or so, his plane will arrive and he will have to board it, deserting his friends. He eyes around the waiting room and sees the other four guys alongside Jalisa whispering excitedly about something a few feet away from him.

“Hey what are you guys so excited about?” Howie asks, making his way over to the others after getting annoyed that he was being left out the sudden conversation.

A.J. looks down to him with a grin plastered on his face, “D, Brian has something to tell you. In fact he has something to tell all of us and I’m sure you’ll like it.” A.J.’s coffee eyes lighted up with glee as the soft morning sunlight beams through the thick clouds and into the room their in.

Howie licks his lips nervously and looks at the others expressions: Jalisa’s face was covered with a slick smirk and so was Nick’s, Kevin’s and Brian’s.

Howie placed his book bag on the marble floor and crosses his arms, “Ok, well what is it, since I’m sure you guys already know.”

Nick chuckles softly and elbows Kevin who hides his smile. Howie narrows his eyes and sighs impatiently waiting for one of them to tell him anything.

Brian noted Howie’s impatience and places his hand on his friend’s shoulder, “Ok, I won’t keep you in suspense anymore. I think you might wanna take a seat for this though.” He states with a twinkle in his sapphire eyes that initiated joyful data.

Howie drops into a smooth beige leather seat behind him and leans back, tapping his foot impatiently. Nick surrounds him on the left side while A.J. does the same on his right side. Brian steps in front of Howie smiling widely.

Howie sighs and shakes his head, this was unusual behavior even for Brian so whatever he has to say will be big. Sighing wearily, Howie watches Brian rubs his hands together and chuckle before breaking the big news.

“Ok.” Brian sighs, letting out a puff of air from his mouth. Jalisa and Kevin crack up in laughter as the suspense is eating away at Howie.

Howie narrows his eyes and grumbles, thinking this is one last joke the guys are trying to pull on him.

“Remember the day we sang at Erika’s birthday party?” Brian pauses to see Howie nod his head and have his full attention. “Well see there was a record producer there who was blown away at our performance and had asked me if I was interested in doing a demo and possibly get signed to a record company.”

This caught Howie’s interest and ecstatically he leaps out the seat hugging Brian. “Whoa wait! You didn’t hear the rest of the story?!” Brian chuckles.

Howie breaks into a smile and laughs, “Rok, I’m sure you signed it right? So what more is there?! You have a wonderful voice and now you get to share it with the world.” His tan face beaming with pride for his friend.

A.J. laughs softly and pats Howie’s shoulder, “Um, D. There’s more to this story than you think and it involves you. In fact it involves all of us.”

Howie narrows his eyes, “What are you saying?”

No longer holding back, Kevin breaks into the group and places his hands on Howie’s shoulder forcing Howie to stare at his friend in front of him. “Brian didn’t sign the producer’s lease because he needed to get all of our permission on this.”

Howie was about to say that Brian didn’t need their permission to sign on to do music since it’s his life. But he was interrupted by A.J. who leaps in front of Kevin, pushing the taller man away.

A.J. stares at Howie and finally lets out the news that the guys were holding in, “D, he can’t sign it until we all agree that we’re cool with it and agree to be in the group!”

Howie scratches his head and runs his fingers through his unruly brown hair. “Ok.” Howie whispers, trying to gather the idea just thrown at him. “The producer wants all of us to do a demo and get signed to a deal right?” He says slowly, letting the thought sink in.

Nick nods his head, “Yes!!!! We said yeah!! We’re gonna get famous dude!! You know how hot that is! All we need is for you to say you’re down with this and we’re off to record!” The excitement zooming down his spine as he speaks.

Howie gulps and then he shakes his head, “I’m sorry, but I don’t think I’m cut out for this occupation. Besides I have plans on getting transferred to Miami to work in the firehouse down there. So no, but I wish you guys well on that.”

A.J.’s mouth hangs open as the others gasp. Kevin drops a manila folder he had in his hands onto the floor as he stares at his friend confused. “Wait so that’s it? You’re not even giving this a chance?” His emerald eyes boring into Howie.

Howie sighs and nods his head softly, “Yeah.” Then the announcer bellows out on the speakers that Howie’s flight has landed and for the passengers to begin boarding the plane now.

Howie clutches his suitcase and grabs his book bag staring at the guys. Jalisa is the only one who moved towards him and embraces him. “It’s ok. This is your decision. They have to respect that. You have different plans from them, but you can make up your own mind.”

Howie smiles and was glad someone respected his decision. But he was thrown a guilt trip when Jalisa said the next statement.

“After all, they were only trying to keep everyone together cause they couldn’t bare leaving one another. But that doesn’t bother you, cause you have plans.” Jalisa says softly, eyeing Howie.

Howie gasps and shakes his head, “Why are you making this hard for me?” He whispers loudly annoyed as he eyes the others behind Jalisa.

Jalisa shrugs her shoulders and drops her arms down her side, “Cause it be sad to see such talent wasted on something else.”

Howie stares at Kevin, “So, what you feel the same way too? All of you?”

Nick nods his head and Kevin smiles picking up the fallen papers that lie scattered on the marble floor.

Jalisa giggles, “So will you at least consider this or even give this a chance before you decide for sure?” Her soft peach complexion shining dully in the soft sunlight.

Howie sighs and drops his bags on the floor, sighing he smiles and shakes his head, “I give up! I can’t win with Jalisa around.”

Cheers erupted from the guys and A.J. asks, “So I take it you’re in?”

Howie nods his head, “Yeah, let’s give this a try.”

Cheers surrounded him as the five firefighters embrace and jump around in joy.

Brian laughs, “Alright! Group hug!” And they gather together throwing their arms around one another. Jalisa joins in and laughs as the scene.

Suddenly their rejoicing is interrupted when a fire alarm in the airport went off. The announcer over the speaker stated that everyone in the airport to evacuate the bathrooms nearby because a possible fire hazard with the lighting and electrical currents are running loosely.

Brian turns around to see a young boy screaming that a fire is in the men’s bathroom and as the boy stated, “The fire is fighting the guy!”

Kevin races on instinct and runs over to break the glass case where a fire extinguisher is held. “Come on guys! Get one and head over to the bathroom!” Kevin barked orders at the others. A.J and Nick run behind Kevin each finding a glass case and breaking it with their hands to gain access to a fire extinguisher as well. Howie and Brian fumble through their bags to find a box of baking soda.

Jalisa gazes at the two in confusion, “Hello, it’s not a kitchen disaster you guys for you to use that!” She states alarmed as a crowd of people start running away from the impending fire.

Brian smiles, “Actually if the fire is in the bathroom, I bet it was started with a guy’s greasy hair!”

Jalisa growls, “This isn’t funny, someone could hurt in there!”

Brian smiles, “I’m sure the others got to them already, come on D, lets grab these babies and see that I was right on the whole prospect of how the fire started.” He whispers lifting the small baking sofa in Jalisa’s face.

Jalisa mumbles as the other two sped off to the other three. It always amused her that they don’t get worried about such things but go ahead and handle the business without a second thought. ‘Guess they were trained that way.’ She thinks to herself as she sees a few surprised men coughing and coming out of the long hallway from the men’s bathroom.

Suddenly she hears gasps and footsteps to see Rose, Anita and Chief Li coming towards her direction.

“What happened?” Chief Li cries out, her sapphire eyes wide in fright as her jet black locks tumble down loosely down her back.

“Not a big fire. Looks like something went wrong with the men’s bathroom. That’s all I know.” Jalisa states, her eyes staring at the small smoky hallway that lead to the bathroom.

Anita gasps and clutches her suitcase in her hands, her dark eyes peering at the smoke infiltrated hallway where the guys went in. One guy comes out of there, gagging as Nick clutches onto the man. Brian and Kevin come out coughing and waving their hands as the smoke invaded their nostrils. Howie and A.J. carry out the guy who’s hair went on fire a few seconds ago. The man desperately pats his smoky black curly hair while he pushed out the hallway.

“It’s all clear.” Kevin shouts in between coughs.

“It was small fire but it spreading fast.” A.J. states over the small commotion that was caused in the bathroom. People started crowding around the guys pleading their thanks and how brave they were to help out.

Brian beams at Jalisa and yells out that the baking soda worked, the guys hair went on fire when a hair gel spilled over him and a broken wire from the overhead lights thus causing the fire.

Jalisa rolls her eyes knowing Brian would be bragging about it all day about how right he was with the fire and the baking soda.

Nick pushes his way out of the small crowd and makes his way back to Jalisa. He sees Rose and they run to embrace.

“Hey you! I didn’t think I was gonna see you again Rain. I guess I don’t look too good looking covered in all this soot on my face and shirt.” Nick states laughing, a cough coming out every once in a while.

Rose laughs, her sapphire eyes matching the man’s before her. “Na, smoke looks good on you.”

Nick smirks and pats his smoky shirt. Anita smiles and watches Nick in admiration. “Wow, you went in there?” She asks pointing over to the men’s bathroom, her black braids over her shoulders.

Nick looks at her and smiles, “Yeah, it’s fine though. It’s just smoky. Nothing serious but the smoke makes it more than it really is.”

Chief Li smiles and pats his shoulder, “Good job. I must apologize for my rude remarks before about not trusting you with Rose. You proved yourself in that fire. I should have never doubted you.”

Nick smirks, “Its fine, you were doing you’re job. I’m cool with it. Apology accepted.” He states shaking hands with the woman.

Anita smiles and pokes Rose on the side with her elbow. Leaning over to Rose’s ear she whispers, “Man, I didn’t know he looked this good in person up close. Not bad for a white boy. Not bad at all.” Anita whispers softly, causing both of them into fits of giggles.

The other four make their way back to the girls and smile. After all greeting each other, Chief Li smiles and shakes her head. “I heard about the possible new occupation you guys will take up.”

Anita and Rose stare at the men in confusion. Jalisa laughs and explains to the girls that the guys have decided to pursue into the music business.

Rose squeals in delight and jumps up and down in excitement. Anita smiles, “Oh man I heard you guys on the radio! That was great!”

This time it was the guys turn to be confused.

“What? How is that possible? We didn’t sign yet or even made a first single. How can you hear us on the radio?” Howie asks the same question that was running through the other men’s mind.

Jalisa smiles softly, “I forgot to mention that to you. That it was the Chief’s daughter’s request to hear the live performance played on her birthday. She said it was what her father wanted to hear because he had loved the song you sang to Erika. It was one of the last things he said to her before the tragic events came a day later. Before his death.” She whispers sadly at the men’s faces.

A.J. smiles and Nick wipes away a stray tear that formed in his own eyes. Brian takes a deep breath as Kevin shakes his head. Howie stares at the floor fighting with his own sadness.

Anita felt grim about what she said, maybe it wasn’t the right time to say that. But she wanted to and thought it would cheer them up.

Chief Li smiles, her smile lights up her face, “It’s okay sweetie. You just wanted to see them smile. It’s not your fault.”

Jalisa felt bad for breaking such news knowing if anything she should be the one feeling grief stricken about she just said.

Kevin clears his throat, “Wow. I never knew he felt that way. I guess we gotta make it big now for Lawrence right?”

Howie nods his head and looks around the airport to see that everyone settled back down and the flights continue to function even through the minor disturbance of the small fire.

A.J. perks his ears up to a small speaker in the airport that was playing music. He hears a DJ’s voice talking about how the next song comes from a bunch of local heroes in a New York fire department. The DJ continues stating that the song was played to him from a girl who had lost her father in the World Trade Center tragedy. The DJ said he heard the song the girl played for him and wanted to share it with the radio. And with that, the DJ states, “Now I want to share this song with you guys. Thanks to all the heroes out there. This song is for all ya out there. This song is from a group of guys, five to exact who were apart of the Fire company Twelve which was just closed down due to financial problems. If you guys know who you are- thanks for the song!” And the speakers are filled with the guy’s voices.

Everyone in the airport stops and listens to the speakers as the radio plays “What makes you different- makes you beautiful.”

Kevin’s mouth drops open as he hears the beautiful harmony him and the others have together. “My God! I never knew we sounded that good before!”

“We’re on the radio!!” Nick yells happily as people stare at the five men. After the song was after, some onlookers stare at the guys clapping their hands.

One teenage guy and girl nod their heads, “Wow, wonder who they were? They sounded great.”

Nick yells out, “It was us! It was us!” Drawing attention upon himself and the others as onlookers walk by them getting to their flights.

Jalisa laughs and sees a muscular man dressed in a business suit approaching them. He holds out a paper and hands it to Brian who gladly takes it in his hands. The others watch in silence hoping that Brian would let them in on what just happened.

Brian scans the paper and smiles pulling out a pen and without saying a word hands it to A.J. who does the same and signs his name along with Brian. They hand it to Kevin who signs it and gives it to Nick who is still high in excitement. Nick scribbles his name on the paper and hands it to Howie who decides to read the paper and tell the girls.

“You guys, this is the record label! They just heard us on the radio and want us to work with them in producing a demo and a possible album!” Howie shrieks in happiness.

Jalisa yells in joy and Anita and Rose join in the screaming. Chief Li laughs and claps her hands. And the onlookers over hearing what Howie said begin clapping their hands proudly at the heroes with the voices of Angels.

Howie takes a pen from Brian and takes a deep breath. He was about to step into a different spotlight and now the world would know them. Howie scribbles his name and hands the paper back to the burly coffee colored man who smiles and states they will get far with their talent and hands Brian a business card. “Call me when you’re ready to record.” And with that, the man takes the paper with their signatures and places it into a blue folder. The man then walks away smiling, disappearing the crowd.

Jalisa breaks into a laugh as everyone in the group gathers for an encouraging embrace.

Kevin smiles and knew that today was the day a new life will begin.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**