- Text Size +
A/N: *whistles* Yup, I have gotten around to writing the next chapter to this story. You all know the deal, for those you do read this, check out this hott new story called a “Broken Soul.” Found in this section. But because Summer especially asked for this chapter, this chapter goes out to her and hehe, won’t there be a surprise? *giggles* This is the last chapter to this story, sadly but never fear check out the other stories I’m writing in this site along with other co-authors I'm dipping my fingers in. Enjoy and drop a review!

“A Hero’s Heart”

**-“I’ll be the one to hold you and make sure that you’ll be alright.”–‘The One’ by the Backstreet Boys.

**~Chapter twenty-three- And the Song Goes On My Friend~**

-September 21st, 2001. 10:25 am. Queens, NY. JFK airport.

He sighs and looks back at the gate that separated him and the guys from Jalisa, Anita and Rose.

“Come on A.J. we gotta go now. Our flight is called on. We don’t wanna get the recording production a bad rep of our tardiness.” Brian whispers, tugging on A.J’s jacket.

“Ok. I guess I thought Summer was gonna be here.” A.J. states, scanning his eyes across the airport lobby. No sign of a little blonde girl and her older sister.

“Maybe they forgot. Or something came up. You know how it is.” Howie states calmly smiling, tilting his head towards the hallway for the boarding of the plane.

A.J. sighs and shakes his head waving one last time at Jalisa who was already in tears along with the other two girls.

Nick gulps down his sadness and does a quick bye. He knew if he stood any longer saying goodbye, he might burst out crying himself.

“I hate goodbyes. It’s so depressing.” Kevin mumbles pushing A.J. away from the girls and onto the entrance of the flight.

Howie looks around and yells out to Jalisa, “Hey if you see Summer and Skye, tell them we had to go. I hope they’re not mad at us.” And with that board the plane, not turning back in fear he himself will weep.

-October 12th, 2001. 1:37 pm. Tampa, Florida. Zomba recording studio.

The pen drops onto the black marble floor and rolls over to stop at the tip of Brian’s tan boots. Nick smirks and swipes the pen in his hands fingering it between his fingers. Howie cracks his knuckles, tapping his foot impatiently on the floor. Kevin nibbles on his lower lip softly and gazes at the entrance of the door waiting for the record producer to come in and tell his opinion on the newly recorded song they just did. A warm sunlight beams into the glass pane windows as the five men wait anxiously for their record producer to come in for the final opinion.

A.J. runs his fingers through his black goatee and finally stands up frustrated with waiting. “Alright, that’s it. They had us in here in the studio for over a half and hour and nothing yet. If we sucked, why didn’t they just tell us?” A.J. grumbles, his coffee eyes scanning the glass black and white photos of recording musical artists aligning the walls. He walks to the closed front door and swings it open in surprise, stumbling to see Summer and Skye standing there. “Hey guys! What are you doing here? I haven’t seen you guys for the longest!” He yells happily embracing Skye in his arms as Summer giggles and tugs on A.J.’s cargo pants.

Brian laughs and runs over to lift little Summer up in his arms, “Hey little one, what are you doing here?” His sapphire eyes glittering in excitement as Summer’s gentle blonde locks tumble on her shoulders. The little girl shifts her position in Brian’s arms and points to her older sister Skye.

“Skye got a job down here. She had to move down here cause her friend wasn’t feeling too well. But you didn’t say bye to us!” Summer squeal out as her rosy cheeks flushed in pink. She bats her emerald eyes and frowns at Brian.

Nick smiles and grabs little Summer from Brian’s arm’s. “Hey sorry if we didn’t say bye, but you guys still didn’t answer the question. Why are you here? Like here in the studio.” Nick states, ruffling Summer’s honeysuckle locks through his fingers.

A.J. finally lets Skye out of his embrace, as she giggles sweetly. “I got a call from a friend of mine who needed my help financially. I moved down here to help her out. Problem was I didn’t have a job. She mentioned she worked in a music studio and she can get me a position to work here. So I just started working here two weeks ago. I was gonna tell you guys about me leaving but I got to the firehouse too late. It was closed already and you guys left.” She says softly, her voice dropping off at the last sentence.

A.J. caresses his fingers down Skye’s snowy face, “Ah, sweetie. I’m sorry. It just seemed everything was crazy in New York. But it doesn’t matter, you’re here. I’m so happy I get to see your face!”

Skye laughs heartily, her big emerald eyes sparkle in glee, “I guess. I heard too! Why didn’t you tell me you guys are recording and stuff? Imagine that, you guys wanting to be famous. I think this is a sign, I mean me and you guys here.” Skye states smiling, her snowy face glittering happily.

Kevin laughs, “Yeah, I guess so. I feel bad for the poor girls. Anita, Jalisa and Rose were crying when we boarded the plane. I haven’t heard of them since.”

Summer giggles as Nick places the little girl back on the floor. “We did. We know where they are!” Her little voice echoing joyfully.

Howie kneels down and takes off Summer’s plastic yellow windbreaker, “Really? And how do you know that?”

Summer gazes at her older sister Skye and grins, pointing her little fingers towards the doorway entry, “They came down here to visit us. We have a surprise for you guys.” Her little body shifts from Howie and runs towards the doorway, her little sandal feet padding on the floor. She stands impatiently at the doorway, tapping her feet. “Come on you guys. Follow me!” Her high baby voice filters the hallway.

Brian grins and shakes his head, “Well let’s see what she has planned for us.”

Skye smiles and feels A.J. throw his arm around her shoulders squeezing her, “I missed ya. I thought I wasn’t gonna see you again.”

Skye looks up into his dark eyes and grins, “Well you don’t have to worry about that, I’m here now.”

A.J. smiles and clasping his hand with hers, he got a surprise and confused look from Skye.

“Wouldn’t your fiancé get mad at this?” Skye asks confused, her blonde tresses tied up in ponytail.

A.J. snorts quietly, “What fiancé? It wasn’t working between us. Right now, I’m not sure where I stand in the relationship with her.”

Skye gulps softly and nods her head, “Sorry it didn’t work out.”

A.J shrugs his shoulders, “The timing was off I guess.” And they follow the others down a long carpeted hallway. They all reach a large cafeteria room where party decorations were pinned up all over and in the center stood a large cake decorated with the five men’s faces on it. Nick laughs and runs over to the cake as Brian and Howie laugh. Kevin grabs little Summer and picks her up high in his arms, sending her to fits of giggles and squeals. A.J. and Skye stare at the room amused and out of the corner of the room, Jalisa, Rose and Anita step out.

“Judging by all the looks, I’m thinking you guys are feeling this!” Jalisa states happily as the guys notice her and the other two girls. They all embrace laughing and jumping around in excitement.

“Now all we need is a name for you guys. I mean you’re gonna be a singing group right? So you guys need a name.” Rose states, her sapphire eyes blinking at Nick.

Nick smirks and shrugs his shoulders, “Dude we never did come up with a name for us.” He states towards A.J.’s direction.

A.J. pouts and raises his pointer finger in the air as if an idea struck him, “Wait we need something that is gonna sound good. I don’t wanna get played with our name.”

Howie laughs and turns to see their producer walk in with a huge smile on his face. Clapping his hands, the producer yells out happily, “You guys are professional at this whole singing thing. But I think the girl is right. If I’m to release this song and hand this demo to the recording company, you’ll need a name people will call you by.”

Silence loomed the room as the guys mumble to themselves thinking of a name that will best suit their needs. Suddenly little Summer standing next to Anita yells out, “I got it, I got it! Your name can be hmm… Boys something. Or how about Street Boys?” Her little voice causing everyone in the room to smile and laugh.

Chuckling A.J. manages to yell out in between in laughter, “What about Backstreet?”

The others nod their heads, “Yeah we can do that.”

“What about my idea?” little Summer states pouting, her little hands on her hip.

Brian leans down and whispers loud enough for the others to hear, “We’ll use the Boys part I guess. Just for you, Summer.”

The little girl beams and giggles, “Yeah, see I helped out Skye!” She states, running around as Howie runs after her.

“So the name will be?” The producer ask.

A.J. and Skye speak up at the same time as the idea runs through their head, “Backstreet Boys, it is.”

The producer smiles and claps his hands, “Well welcome aboard Backstreet Boys. You got quite a journey ahead of you!”

And with that Jalisa blasts on the stereo in the room and everyone laughs, dancing to the beat of what will be the group’s first single.

Skye smiles at A.J. as he hugs her, whispering in her ear, “I won’t ever leave like that without saying bye to you. But you don’t worry. I won’t be saying bye to you any time soon.” And he embraces a giggling, blushing Skye into his arms as they dance to a song on the stereo.

**~THE END~**