- Text Size +
A/N: Hey peeps what’s up? I’ve got another update for this story, I hope you’re all enjoying it and now for your entertainment here is the new chapter!



“A Hero’s Heart”



**~A true hero can live right next door~**



**~Chapter Three- True Colors~**



-July 13, 2001, Tampa, Florida. 10:46 am.



Yawning, he walks back to the tour bus waving bye to his mother.



“Sweetie, before you leave, how was Nick when you saw him? I mean was he sad? What did he say?” The mother states, her blue eyes wide open.



Aaron smiles, “Mom, he’s gonna be ok. He said so himself. Said that he’ll be back to see us soon enough. I’m gonna go to one more city and come back here. Don’t worry I’m sure you’ll hear from him soon. He should be in New York about now.” He states shrugging.



Suddenly her cell phone begins ringing and she raises the phone to her ear excitedly, recognizing the number on her phone.



“Hello, honey, is that you?! Nick sweetie are you in New York already?” His mother states softly.



She nods her head, as she listens to what seems like laughter coming from Nick’s side of the phone. “Are you in a crowded place? I hear so much talking in the background.”



She smiles, “Oh ok, those are the guys that you’ll be working with. Ok, well I see you gotta go, you sound busy already. I’ll call you later tonight then. Be careful, I love you too. Ok, bye.”



Aaron smiles, “See mom, I told you he’s gonna be ok.”



-July 13 2001, New York City, New York. 11:25 am.



The black navigator slows down the crowded street full of firefighters and people. Kevin rolls down the side window to examine what’s happening down Central Park West. The other four guys all roll down their side of the window and stick their heads out to see thick white smoke fuming from a third story red bricked building.



“Hold up! Wait! Why didn’t they call us for this?” Brian says, narrowing his blue eyes from the smoke that was floating outside of the building on this murky day.



Kevin sees a couple of firefighters from his company, taking out the last flames that were left in the burning apartment. Chief Lawrence, a tall, bulky firefighter at a height of six four, walks over to the still vehicle where the guys are. His grey eyes examine the group and he leans his head near the driver’s window where Kevin is at. Chief Lawrence is wearing the thick black firemen coat and pants. The coat and pants are aligned with a bright white and yellow lining. The chief lowers his black fireman helmet with the numbers of the fire department along it. At the back of the chief’s jacket, his name is scrolled across along with the initials FDNY.



“Morning chief. What happened?” Kevin asks nervously gazing at the smoky building that just a minute ago was on fire.



“We got it covered Richardson, nothing serious, no one was in the apartment when it happened. I’m guessing someone left something cooking on the stove and forgot to turn it off. Nothing big, just smoke and a small flame began. You know it’s a pain when this happens, people can be careless at times.” Chief Lawrence states: wiping his forehead with his large bulky dark colored hands. His dark chocolate face glimmers in sweat and exhaustion as he explains the incident. A soft ray of sunlight beams down on his shaven bald head.



Suddenly Chief Lawrence stops and notices an extra person in the vehicle, confused, he raises his eyebrows and looks at Kevin, “Who’s he?”



Howie smiles and points to Nick, “Chief, he’s the new recruit.”



“Wow, really? He looks like a kid, are you sure he’s the one?” Lawrence asks bluntly, not caring if Nick was annoyed by the comment or not.



“Sir, I’m twenty one and I’ve training for this job for over four eyes since I was eighteen. I’m one of the top students and firefighters down in my department in Tampa. Being recruited here is a new experience and I promise to make it worthwhile.” Nick states trying to keep his cool without lashing out at the chief.



A.J. smiles, his soft brown eyes twinkle in glee, “See chief nothing to worry about. We won’t be babysitting him, he can handle himself well.”



Lawrence nods his head and smiles, “Well then boy, welcome to the team then. Glad to have you on board. I hope these guys are treating you well.” He sticks his hand through the window and shakes Nick’s awaiting hand. His grey eyes open wide in eagerness as he gazes at Nick. “Man what I wouldn’t wish to be that young again. Hey so I’m guessing by what Brian told me yesterday that you all are gonna sing to my little girl right? ” Lawrence says smiling at the group.



Nick’s eyes grew wide open at this statement, “Who’s singing? They are right?”



Chief Lawrence smirks, “I’ll let Brian explain that to you. Lawrence mutters as he hears his name being called from a firefighter holding a hose and turning off the water from the water hydrant. “Well I gotta get back to work, the guys need me, I’ll check you later and Kevin when you get back to the station call your wife. She sounds moody.”



Snickering is heard from other guys as the chief stated that. “Oh man, I know why she’s so moody! When was the last time you gave her some loving? You know what, now that I think about it, why don’t you visit her, cause you look like you need some release, all that tension from the job is getting to you.” A.J. says between laughing.



Kevin glares at him and starts the navigator up, pulling away from the scene with the guys teasing him.



Howie slaps the back of A.J.’s head, “That’s wrong, apologize to Kevin.” He says still snickering and obviously enjoying the joke.



Brian sighs and smiles, patting Kevin’s shoulder, “Don’t pay mind to him, he’s just acting up in front of our new guest.”



“So Brian what did you do? He wasn’t talking about me right?” Nick questions, pointing to himself bringing the conversation back to what the chief had stated earlier.



A.J. laughs, “Whoo, well Brian go on, tell the boy, I’m sure he’ll be very happy like we were when we heard the news.”



Nick crinkled his face, “I don’t like where the conversation is heading, what exactly did you do?”



“Uh, see I kind of promise the chief that we all, including you Nicky boy will sing to his daughter at her party next week.” Brian states smiling, enjoying the vehemence look Nick gives him.



“S, s, sing! Dude, do I look like freaking singer to you?! This is a mistake. I can’t sing! I’m not gonna do it! I want the chief to like me not fire me!” Nick states, throwing his hands in the air in frustration.



A.J. laughs, “Yo that’s what me, D. and Kevin said, but since Brian is such a goody too shoes, it looks like we’re all in this mess.”



Nick shakes his head in disbelief, “Perfect, what a trip man. That little girl is gonna hate me.”



Howie smiles, “Hey I’m sure once she sees you, she’ll like you, just stand there and she’ll be happy.”



“Hey pretty boy. Ever attempted singing?” Kevin asks, trying to keep a straight face.



Nick growled, “In the shower, that’s all.”



Brian chuckles, “Just pretend you’re in it, when we start singing, but please for all our sake, maintain your clothes on! Let’s keep this clean shall we?”



Kevin smirks, “Yes please, I wanna be able to sleep tonight.” And with that pulls into the station all the while hearing Nick complain that what Brian did was wrong. Kevin smiles, ‘Oh yeah, this is gonna be interesting.’ He thinks to himself, turning off the Navigator and taking keys out.

~**~



**~TO BE CONTINUED…~**