- Text Size +
“A Hero’s Heart”



**~A True Hero Can Live Right Next Door- unknown~**



**~Chapter Five- Nothing to It~**



-July 13th 2001: New York City, New York. Central Park West, 23rd street. Fire Company Twelve. 4:23 PM.



The red fire truck pulls up slowly over the hot pavement into the fire station as a couple of men drenched in sweat and water climb off onto the ground. Chief Lawrence yawns and climbs out the driver’s seat along with the other men of the company excluding the five men that left about two hours before hand. Passing his hands through his shaven bald head, he sighs and gazes intently at the ceiling.



“Chief, just two more days till we head out for vacation, I’m gonna be counting ‘em off. Cheer up! Besides, the place we left was fine and the man felt stupid for forgetting to turn off his stove.” Lieutenant Darrel states, his light brown eyes gleaming in the soft sun. He gave him a crooked grin and pats the chief on his shoulder before walking towards the receptionist office.



“Make sure she jots down the emergency today. We gotta keep records of this.” Chief Lawrence replies to the firefighter as he wipes off a trail of sweat streaming down the side of his chocolate colored face.



Lieutenant Darrel nods, his full set of light brown straight hair is matted with sweat. “Go easy on the girl, this is her first job and she’s so young. We don’t want her running out of here cause you over worked her.” He states, his light flustered tan complexion gleaming in the streaming sunlight from the windows.



The chief rolls his eyes and snorted, “Sure, whatever. That’s what wrong with this generation nowadays. All talk and no work. This job will make her strong even if she is just an intern.”



Lieutenant Darrel shuffles off laughing, his soft brown eyes twinkling in enjoyment. The chief grins and stares at the seven firefighters there, “Hey guys quick question, where did those pretty boys firefighters went to? I wasn’t informed another fire broke out.”



One of the firefighters shrugs his shoulder and smiles, “I’m guessing they came up with a plan to mess with the new guy. You know those guys are probably traumatizing uh, what’s his name? Nick.”



Chief Lawrence smiles, “Figured why it wasn’t reported or told to me. Look their coming back, this gotta be good.” He states staring at the fire engine that pulls into the station. Kevin, the driver, stops the truck as three of the men jumped out the engine with a big grin on their faces. Kevin steps out the fire truck and bursts out laughing as a grumbling Nick covered in what seems like red slime is all over his firefighter attire.



Nick glares at Kevin as he drags his tired feet pass the laughing men. It seemed now the entire company had arrived to see the grand entrance of the new fireman.



A.J. covers his mouth but still manages in laughing loudly as Nick drags pass him giving him the finger. “You know Nicky, your mommy wouldn’t happy to see you know that body language.” A.J. states between laughter.



Brian pats Nick on the shoulder, “Hey buddy listen, it wasn’t that bad. You didn’t get it as bad as Howie did. In fact we went easy on you. I personally think you should feel honored we took time out to plan this just for you.” Brian states, a mischievous grin plastered on his face.



Nick glares at Brian, his blue eyes blazing and suddenly Nick feels a grin crawling on his face. He had an idea, ‘Fine, if I can’t beat them then I’ll get revenge on them.’ He gazes at his prey and chuckles. Staring at Brian- who is now suspicious at Nick’s sudden attitude change, Nick steers his eyes on his first prey. Opening his arms wide open he runs and jumps onto Kevin’s back, covering the unsuspecting victim in the sticky crimson slime.



“Egh! Aww, yuck man!” Kevin cries out surprised at the sudden weight on his back. “Get off me boy! What’s wrong with you?” Kevin states, his emerald eyes showing relief and enjoyment at Nick’s expense.



At this the company howls with laughter as Nick bats his blue orbs in Kevin’s direction. “I thought when you said stay behind you at all times that this is what you meant.”



At this joke, the entire company fills with laughter and each gives the newcomer, Nick, a high five. “That’s a good one kid! Get Kevin where it hurts!” one of the few women firefighters states, her hazel eyes twinkling in glee.



Jalisa steps out the small office to see what all the noise is about and after seeing Nick drenched in the red slime, she joined in the laughter. “You know it’s gonna be killer to take that stuff off your clothes. Nick, I thought you wouldn’t fall for that. They told you it was an emergency and they took you to central park to drench you in that slime right?” She asks smiling, the laughter bubbling inside her.



Nick nods his head and rolls his eyes, “Yeah, stupid me fell for it. But you what, you can’t fool an expert of tricks and get away with it.”



A.J. snorted and replies, “Actually Nicky boy we did get away with it. I mean look at you. You’re the one covered in that red junk we threw at you, not us.”



The entire company of forty five members still in laughter: didn’t realize what Nick had planned as he runs and pulls a white thick rope hanging from the ceiling. Suddenly the company excluding Nick, was covered in a nasty slimy green substance that cascaded from the ceiling in buckets. Everyone was drenched in the green substances and all eyes stare at Nick in amusement.



“Wow, you got the whole company. That’s a first, that never happened before. Way a go Nick!” Howie states in surprise as he cleans off the green liquid that is smeared in his hair and face.



Chief Lawrence grins at Nick and points his finger at the man. “See I knew I would like you. You’re feisty, wanna get the last word. I like that in my employers.”



Nick smiles and feels a flint of green slime thrown at him from A.J. “Since you’re not slimed as bad as we are, I figured with this green junk I thought you might wanna know what it feels like.” A.J. states, his chocolate eyes glimmering with a mischievous gleam.



Brian, Howie, A.J. and Kevin surround Nick each with a grin that held surprises. Chief Lawrence and Lieutenant Darrel also join the circle and all flung mounds of the green goop at Nick’s direction. By now, Nick was laughing and running out of the circle as pieces of the green slime hit him on his fire black jacket. The company was bursting with laughter and a great vibe was running through out the place.



Kevin smiles and stops to breath in the joyful smell of happiness ringing in the station. Brian, out of breath, looks at his cousin curiously.



“Hey Kev. Everything alright?” Brian asks inquisitiveness, his blue eyes open wide.



Suddenly the bright red lights in the ceiling begin blinking as the loud insistent alarm starts ringing. Everyone stops running around and Jalisa runs to the office to get information.



Kevin runs to the engine and opens the door, “Get in! Hurry! We got called on. Let’s go!” He shouts loudly over the loud blaring ringing of the alarm.



A.J. states at Nick with a small smile on his face. “It’s real this time Nick, let’s head out.” He runs and throws on the black fire jacket with the words scrolled on the back of NYFD.



Nick smiles, ‘Time to show where the real heroes are at.” Nick runs to grab his black helmet and smiles, boarding the engine with the other four men.

~*~



Howie leans over to Nick, “Hey that was a good one you pulled on us. You got us good.” Howie says, his brown eyes filled with amusement. The engine door slams shut as Kevin pulls out the station.



Nick shrugs his shoulders and laughs, “Nothing to it D. Nothing to it.” As the fire engine bellows out the fire siren and leaves the station.



Brian still wiping off slime, grins at Nick, “Not for nothing, but how the heck did you have time to fill up buckets and hang it up. I mean you were with us the majority of the time. How was that possible?”



Nick grins, “Yo, that’s for me to know and for you to find out.”



Brian laughs and takes a napkin to take off a glop of green slime off his cheek.



A.J., Howie, Nick and Brian stand up in the back of the fire truck, resting and watching the scenery pass by them. A.J. grins as the engine passes by a group of teenage girls who squeal and whistle at the guys.



A.J. leans on the edge along with Nick as they both blew kisses at the squealing girls.



Howie nods his head and rolls his eyes, “You guys are full of it.”



Nick laughs, “Full of what?”



Howie smirks, “You know of what!”



A.J. smiles as he passes his tan caramel fingers over his black goatee. It looks like things will get better with a new guy around and in fact he didn’t remember having that much fun in such a long time with the entire unit. He stares at Nick and smiles as Brian is telling them the joke he went through two weeks ago.



“Yo J! Yoo hoo, buddy you listening?” Howie states: waving a hand in front of him, interrupting A.J.’s thoughts. A.J. blinks and states at Howie in nuisance.



“Yeah, what is it?” A.J. asks irritated and smiles at Howie’s facial expression.



Howie shrugs off A.J.’ s demeanor and smiles softly at his friend, ‘Well, there’s a small fire in the building we’re off too. It’s on the east side on Union Street. I’m thinking you get the people as we head up the place and take out the fire.”



“And you planned this with out asking me again.” A.J. states watching the passing vehicles on either side of him quickly.



“Well, whatever man. I ain’t here to get in fight over this. If you want take the fire out and I get the people, then I’m down with it.” Howie states softly, his short brown locks blowing gently in the hot stinging summer breeze. The blue clear sky illuminated the sun’s ray on them.



A.J. grins, “Na, it’s aight. I’ll save the people. At least if it’s a cute woman, I can ask for her number when I’m done saving her.”



At that Kevin laughs from the front of the vehicle, “So A.J what if she’s not an attractive woman then what?” He asks loudly over the siren, his green eyes never leaving the traffic in front of him. “Brian turn off the siren for a minute.”



“What?!” Brian asks. “I can’t hear you, the siren is too loud, I’m turning it off.”



Kevin shakes his head and rolls his eyes as Brian asked what Kevin had said before. “Nothin’ B. Nothin’. Just sit down and chill out, we’re about two minutes away.”



The engine pulls up the sidewalk as heavy smoke billows out a second story window. The beautiful silver metal building stands erected at a height of twenty stories. The granite pavement gave the area an exquisite look. Tons of thick smoke and flames spurted from the fourteen floor window. A couple of onlookers stare up at the burning building in shock.



“Oh God!!” People mutter as they gazes at the smoke filtering out of the window. Kevin jumps off the engine as Howie and Brian begin to hurriedly unroll the long hose as Nick opens the fire hydrant. Kevin raises the ladder on the engine until it reaches the window.



“Brian, D, Nick! Go up the ladder and take the fire out. A.J. look to see if anyone is in there. Hurry, the fire is getting thicker and stronger by the minute.” Kevin shouts, fixing the ladder to help maintain it steady.



Nick races up the ladder and in a minute was already climbing the window holding the hose. A large spray of water blasted out of the hose as Brian and Howie race inside the building to get to the front door of the apartment. A.J. helps Nick hold the hose as he climbs in the apartment through the window. Kevin nervously watches and pulls out his walkie talkie to contact Brian and Howie.



Buzzing is heard as Brian talks through his walkie talkie, “Yeah, what is it?”



“How does the place look?” Kevin asks holding the ladder where A.J. and Nick are on.



“Can’t see anything Kev. Too much smoke, dag man. This is messed up. It looked like there was some explosion by the heavy smell of the gas.” Brian states.



“You in the apartment already?” Kevin asks.



“Yeah, we took the elevator.” Howie states, hearing Kevin gasps.



Laughing, Brian talks into the walkie talkie, “Look it was there and I figured we could use it to get there faster. Think about it Kev. It’s the fourteenth floor. You expect us to get there fast enough!”



Howie runs down the brown carpeted floor and reaches the door. He places his palm on the door, “It’s burning! It’s way too hot!”



“I hope we’re not too late!” Brian whispers as he kicks open the door. The door swings open and the thick fog greets them and engulfs them in a hug. He pulls out a small mask and places it over his face and Howie does the same.



Howie turns on his flashlight and searches around the dark smoky room for a light switch. Brian pulls out a box of baking soda and sprays it around the area. The flames were coming from a bedroom where a light bulb blew up. The flames were licking the black burned bed covers as it slowly spreads on the curtains. Brian finds Nick at a window in the living room. He trudges through the smoke and guides Nick with the spraying water.



“Dude, over here! The fire is in the room!” Brian states, wiping the fog off the plastic glasses he placed to protect his eyes. Nick follows him and quickly places a set of plastic glasses and fog mask over his face. Nick, Brian and Howie hold the hose as the flames begins screeching in pain as it dissipates.



A.J. jumps into the apartment from the window and begins yelling, “Hey is any one in here? Does any one live here?” He yells. He places the plastic glasses over his chocolate eyes to protect it from the thick painful smoke that brushes pass his face. A.J. passes a kitchen where smoke was engulfed, no flames had reach the area as of yet. He could hear the other guys running around making sure the fire was out. A.J. walks on the beige carpet as he crosses over to a small bedroom next to the kitchen. He steps in the room only to see it belonging to a little girl. Teddy bears of different colors are aligned on a shelf and a beautiful lilac and powder pink paints the walls. A tiny white seat is placed in the corner and a small white ivory dresser with gold aligning the sides is next to it. A small pink hello kitty television set is placed on a white shelf from the wall. A.J smiles as he enters the room. His eyes rested on the one thing he was glad to see. A living soul. Bright green eyes greeted A.J. from the center of the bed. The little girl who looked no more than six sat staring at him. Her blond curls tumble down pass her shoulders as she fiddles with her pale shaking fingers.



“Hey sweetie are you ok?” A.J. whispers as he closes the door to shut out any more smoke from entering the room.



The little girl smiles and whispers softly, barely audible, “I’m ok, but my sister looks sick. She’s been sleeping since we were hiding from the fire.” Her high voice states. She shivers and she points to a young woman lying on her back side, with her eyes closed.



A.J. gulps and reaches the young woman lying on the floor. He touches her wrist to feel a very weak pulse beating. The young woman has blond tresses down her shoulders and she seemed no more than five feet three inches. Her very light white complexion seemed flushed from the smoke. He passes his fingers over her nose to see any sign of breathing. Gulping he picks the woman up and places her on bed next to the girl. “Ok, this is the deal sweet heart. Your sister isn’t sleeping, she needs air. I’m gonna help give her some air, I need you to help me ok.”



The little girl shakes her head nervously, “Is she gonna die mister fireman?” She asks blinking back tears that emerge in her pretty emerald eyes.



“No, no I won’t let that happen cause you will help me ok?” A.J. states softly gently touching the little girl’s hand.



The girl smiles, “Ok, I trust you.”



A.J. feels his heart melt at the words of that young girl. Trust, she trusts him and he had to live up to that expectation. “Ok, good, place your hand over your sister’s heart, right here on her chest.”



The little girl does as told and stares up at him waiting for further instructions, “Ok, I’m gonna give her air in her mouth. Don’t think I’m trying to kiss her cause I’m not, I don’t know her like that.” He states laughing, bringing a giggle from the girl. He leans down and tilts the woman’s head at a forty-five degree angle and takes a deep breath. He breaths in and cups her lips allowing the air to reach her lungs.



“She breathing, she’s breathing!” The little girl states giggling in pure joy.



A.J. smiles and was greeted by the coughing of the woman as she opens her eyes. Struggling to sit up, she coughs and gingerly touches her throat.



“Thank you.” She croaks out, her emerald eyes greeting A.J. The sun light from the window reflects the gold in her eyes.



“Your welcome, no problem, it’s my job.” A.J. states suddenly feeling a bit uncomfortable. The woman smiles, her blond tresses lying down pass her neck.



“I’m not usually into guys who kiss on the first date.” The woman states, making A.J. laugh.



She stands up carefully and sticks her hand out. A.J. shakes it and then his walkie talkie blares out, with Kevin’s voice.



“Yo, Mcclean, what’s the deal? Where you at? The others can’t find you. Did you find anyone?” Kevin’s voice blares out.



“Yeah, two people, a woman and a girl, they’re ok. They ran in here when the fire started. They said it was an electrical problem and the light fuse blew up. That’s how the fire started. The woman was found on the floor unconscious. I gave her CPR, she’s alright now. The young girl was left unharmed, she’s safe. Was in the room when the fire started.” A.J. responds eyeing the woman from the corner of his eyes.



“Well get your scrawny behind down here, we’re waiting for you.” Kevin states in the walkie talkie.



A.J. gives the young woman a funny look making the little girl laugh, “Yup, that’s the main man, Kevin. Hey let me get you and your little sister out of this apartment. Gotta let the smoke clear out before you can back here, ok. “He states smiling. He feels a warm hand clasp his and he gazes down to see the young girl staring back at him. “She’s cute, it must run in the family.”



The young woman blushes, “I guess so.”



Once downstairs in front of the building, the other four firefighters waited around for A.J. to come.



“One question real quick you guys. Why did you send A.J. to save the people, he didn’t look he was wanted to do that. He kept grumbling how he wanted to take the fire out but instead sent me.” Nick asks curiously, biting his lower lip.



“A.J. has to be able to do all things as a firefighter and one of them is saving the people. He loves it when he gets behind a hose and it’s just him and the fire but that’s not all it takes to be a firefighter.” Brian says softly watching A.J. carry a young girl in his arms and leading a young woman out the entrance of the building. The small audience that had gathered, begins clapping and cheering when they see A.J. with the two females.



“Great job Alex!” Howie shouts happily, running over to A.J. “Who’s the little one in your arms?” Howie says gently lifting the girl into his arms.



The girl giggles, her blond locks tumbling gently down her back. Her yellow tank top and green shorts fitted smug on the small child. “I’m Summer and that big girl over there is my sister Skye.”



Howie smiles and looks at the young woman who’s blond locks lie shortly almost touching her shoulders. “Well hello Skye, I’m Howie and the man that saved you is A.J.”



Skye smiles and pats A.J.’s shoulder, “Well thank you A.J. for coming to the rescue. You’re my hero.” She whispers seductively into A.J.’s ear. A.J. shivers from her voice that filters into his ear and he blushes a bit.



“Your welcome, it’s my job, nothing to it.” A.J. responds, giving Nick a wink.



Nick rolls his eyes and mutters to Brian, “Looks like A.J. will be saving a lot more people now from the looks of it.”



At this the guys laugh and board the engine to head back to the station. A.J. lets the little girl down on the ground and waves bye to Skye.



Skye laughs and waves bye, “I wish I can thank you all for what you done for me and my sister. Now all I need is a good alibi to tell my landlord about.”



The guys laugh at this, Brian, A.J. and Nick are in the back while Kevin sits in the driver’s seat and Howie in the passengers side.



Nick smiles seductively and leans over the edge of the engine in the back, “Hey if you take me out to dinner, I’m all yours!”



A.J. elbowed Nick, “Watch it Carter. You wanna live today don’t ya?” He whispers to the young man.



Nick back up playfully and laughs, “Aight, I get the drift. I know when to back off.”



The engine begins to pull away and Brian waves at the two girls, “Nice meeting you both, I’m Brian, the blond stud over there is Nick and the grumpy driver is Kevin.”



Skye and Summer laugh as the engine pulls away, back to the station, back to the waiting area where the heroes await their next task.

~**~



**~TO BE CONTINUED…~**