- Text Size +
“A Hero’s Heart”



**~A hero can live right next door~**



**~Chapter Seven- The Simple Task~**



-July 28th, 2001. 6:18 PM. New York City, New York. Central Park West. 23rd street. Fire Company twelve station.



He gazes at the full length mirror and smiles as he fixes his navy blue tie. His blue eyes alighted with joy as the day had finally arrived for them as a group to perform. He fixes his sandy blonde hair and gazes at his attire: dark blue pants furnished with a nice white silk blouse and a blue jacket on top for the final look. Howie smirks at his friend as he pushes Brian out of the mirror’s way.



“My turn. You’ve been staring at your self in that mirror. I doubt you’ll change if you keep staring B.” Howie replies, sustaining a small laugh form erupting.



Brian rolls his eyes, “Come on D. I gotta make sure we represent well.”



Howie smirks, “Brian, it’s for a little girl’s party. Not for the Grammy’s.”



Brian playfully stuck his lower lip, pouting like a child. “Well hey maybe one day I or we can all win a Grammy.”



Howie raises his eyebrows, “This is one of the first times I’m singing in front a large crowd, I’m not planning on pursing singing B. It’s not my style.”



Brian sighed, “Hey you never know. I mean you can’t tell me that when we were rehearsing the other night, you didn’t feel anything. We got the singing thing down the first time and none of us had ever sung like that before! Come on D, I say it’s a sign!” He states excitedly.



“Whatever Brian, it’s not big deal. Really.” Howie responds as he fixes some stray strands of dark brown hair that were out of place. He tugs on his black pants and fixes the white collars of his white blouse. Reaching on the top of the mirror mahogany covering, he grabs his long black tie and quickly ties it around his neck. Howie could hear Brian singing softly to himself. Ever since Brian made that little appointment with chief Lawrence, he’s been singing unstop and Howie truly believed Brian found the singing enjoyable. He would remember when he would catch Brian singing before sleeping, while getting dressed, while cleaning. In fact the singing seems to surround him all the times recently as graceful vocals would linger in his room. “Brian if by any chance you could get a record deal would you go for it?” He asks curiously, eying his chocolate eyes at his friend who’s sitting on the edge of his full size bed.



Brian let out a deep sigh and licks his soft lips. “I don’t know, maybe, no, I don’t know D! Don’t ask me that! Why did you say that any way?” He asks annoyed.



Howie smiles, “Nothing. Just curious that’s all.” As he keeps his eyes on Brian who’s fidgeting.



Brian rolls his royal blue eyes and gets up from the bed, ready to head out. Sure enough as Brian was about to open the door, Kevin burst in, his emeralds eyes glimmering happily.



“Hey guys. Glad to see you’re all ready. Get downstairs, we’re taking A.J.’s car. We don’t’ wanna be late.” Kevin says as he gives Brian a thumb’s up sign. Kevin dressed in a black blouse and black pants, carries his long black trench coat over his left arm.



Brian whistles, Looking nice Kec. If you weren’t married I would have thought you were going out to impress some girl. You ain’t right?” Brian gives his a naughty grin.



Kevin rolls his eyes and leaves the room laughing as Howie and Brian follow behind. Howie closes the small bedroom door behind and lets a sigh. ‘Well here goes nothing.’ He thinks to himself as his heart patters nervously in his chest.

~*~



A.J. pulls up his black Mercedes in front of the closed fires station as he hears Nick clapping his hands standing in front of the fire station driveway.



“Nice car J! Where did you get the money for that?” Nick states as A.J. grins, climbing out his car.



“I have my ways. Well look at you Carter all dressed up and no where to go.” A.J. states smirking as Nick stares down at his attire. Nick was wearing navy blue pants with a black long sleeved blouse. A dark navy blue tie swings gently in the evening breeze as Nick holds on to the neck of his long black trench coat in his right hand. His hair today is held up in short spikes and wire framed glasses framed his face.



Nick smirks, “I think we all are going to the same place buddy. There’s a little girl waiting for you at the restaurant and you can’t back down from that.”



A.J. holds up his hand before laughing, “True, I just hope my fiancé doesn’t find out about this.”



Nick chuckles as he holds up his cell phone, waving it in front of A.J.’s face. “Well how about I tell her now?”



A.J. laughs and goes along with the joke. “Please don’t! I couldn’t bear to think what she would do if she found out I’m seeing a twelve year old.” He tugs on his black pants and nice button down black blouse: the sleeves rolled up to his elbow as he slides his black shades to cover his chocolate eyes. His black hair today is tinted with red.



“Alrighty guys, we’re all here. Lets go!” Kevin states as he reaches Nick and A.J. Nick nods his head and watches Brian and Howie whistling, showing how impressed they were with A.J.’s new car.



“Aight, guys this is the rule. This is my baby. Don’t throw any trash inside it. There will be no eating of any kind. No touching, no blinking and no breathing inside my car. You hear! This precious car cost too much for you to mishandle her.” A.J. states as he enjoys the strange looks his friends are giving him.



“It’ll be hard but I can do it. If I start choking though from lack of oxygen, know it’s your fault.” Nick states laughing as they board the car. A.J. gets in the driver’s seat, Nick’s in the passenger’s seat, while the other three cram themselves in the back.



“Owch, Kevin! Get your elbow out of my face!” Brian yelled annoyed as they try to adjust themselves in the backseat. Brian sits in the edge of the right, Kevin the tallest from them three sits in the middle as Howie slides in the left corner behind A.J.’s seat.



“Hey, you guys set?” A.J. asks, adjusting the mirror on his side of the front of the car.



“Yup! Go already, Kevin is squishing me and next time we take a bigger vehicle cause Kevin is taking up too much room.” Brian grumbles, smiling at his cousin.



Kevin rolled his eyes and purposely stretches out, taking up more room on Brian’s side. Howie laughs as A.J. pulls the car out into the busy street.

~*~



Chief Lawrence yawns, watching the clown perform magic tricks on stage for the young children there. He passes his dark chocolate hand over his bald head, his grey eyes glittering in happiness as his little daughter giggles in enjoyment from the clown. Erica his daughter giggles as the clown cracks open an egg only to be filled with the dollar she had given to him earlier with her name on it. Erica wears a causal red tank top with the edges ruffled and her black skirt tumbles down pass her knees. Her jet black hair is straighten down her back in curls as she smiles, her grey eyes glittering in delight. He checks his watch for the fifth time already as Jalisa giggles.



“Mark, they’ll be here in five minutes. Howie just called, they’re on their way.” Jalisa states smiling, her painted bronze glow lips parted. “She’ll love you for all that you did for her party. I mean I would have thought for sure she would hated the clowns. She’s big for that you know?” Jalisa giggles, her light brown eyes glittering. Her dark brown medium locks tumbles pass her shoulders loosely in soft wavy curls. Her peach complexion glittering brightly in the soft yellow light cast from the restaurant ceiling. Her green casual loose tank top, the edges of the shoulder top separated loosely in an elegant style. Her black skirt down her knees, hugged her curves when she moved yet was graceful and flowing at the same time. She smiles at the young teenager sitting in the corner. “Hey Rain, over here. Come chill out with me and the chief.” Jalisa shouts as Rose stands up giggling at the new name people are now calling her by.



“Rain? Who’s that?” Darrel asks, his light brown eyes glittering. His tan complexion glitters from the lights as he passes his fingers through his straight light brown hair. He makes his way back to table with a dish from the food table. He’s wearing a navy button down shirt with black pants.



“That’s Rose. We named her rain after we found out she loves hanging out in the middle of a pouring storm.” Jalisa states as Rose grabs a seat.



“Hey did you guys see the new little girl Summer playing with Kimberly. It’s the cutest thing.” Rose states, her blonde locks hung down in graceful braid down her shoulders and she pulls on her baby blue halter top and plays with the edges of her black knee length skirt.



“Summer’s here? Really?” Jalisa smiles and waves at the young woman sitting next Summer. Skye walks over to join the group at the dinner table.



“Hey any seats in this table? I’m thinking of hanging out here with you guys. I love my sis, but I need to be with my people my age, she’s not even paying attention to me when I talk with her.” Skye states, her beige loose flowing skirt tied in a small bow in the back and her black off the shoulder shirt showing off her thin gold necklace with her name in scripted on it. Her short blonde locks tumble near her shoulders loosely as her green eyes search the restaurant for her little sister. The gold specks in her eyes glitter beautifully in the soft light dimming from the restaurant.



“Hey go ahead, the more the merrier.” Rose states smiling, her small gold hoops swinging gently.



At her statement the others laugh and all settle back waiting for the last five men to arrive. “Hey do you think they’ll sound good?” Summer asks suddenly.



Rose giggles, “I heard them rehearsing, well actually me and Darrel walked in on them. But they sound amazing you guys! You won’t believe how professional they sounded. They sounded like those guy groups you hear on MTV or something. It’s great!” She states in excitement.



Darrel nods his head and between bites of his food responds, “I…gotta…agree…with…Rose…here. They sounded like true singers.” He states wiping his greasy mouth due to the chicken.



“Well I guess we’ll find out now then won’t we?” Chief Lawrence states smiling as the five men entered the restaurant with nervousness etched across their faces.



Rose giggles and claps her hands eagerly, “Oh, you’ll see how well they’ll sound! Ohh, they’re so hott!” Skye and Jalisa laugh and nod their heads in agreement.



“They look so nervous. I hope they’ll be ok.” Jalisa whispers as the five men walk over to them each carrying a present for Lawrence’s daughter.



“Hey guys, nice to see you arrived and right on time. I’m truly impressed.” Lawrence states smiling as he and Darrel carry the presents over to a corner to be joined with the gifts.



“Nervous much?” Jalisa asks Howie who seems to be fidgeting and gulping.



“Na, just suddenly feeling very ill.” Howie replies eying the stage with the clown and about twenty children enjoying the clown’s performance.



“He’ll be fine, just the butterflies.” Brian answers for him.



Nick walks over to Rose and pulls put a white rose for her. “A rose for a Rose.”



At that statement, A.J. started to pretend gagging causing the others at the table to erupt in laughter.



“Nick you need better lines if you wanna impress a woman.” Jalisa states, batting her brown eyes at him, she continues, “Hey maybe I can show you sometime the proper way to do it.”



Brian whistles as Kevin makes cat noises. “Looks like Nicky is getting a personal invite from our receptionist, way to go Nicky boy!” Howie states whistling.



Nick rolls his eyes and smirks, “I’ll think about it, maybe you can show me more than lines.”



“Ok that’s enough of that filthy talk, remember this is a party for my little daughter. I wouldn’t want her to hear this type of talking!” The chief states, holding back his laughter.



“It’s innocent talk Lawrence, I promise.” Jalisa states as Skye stares at A.J. intensely.



A.J. waltzes over to Skye and pulls out of his pocket a small yellow carnation. “It’s hard to find anything blue around this area.”



Skye giggles and gladly takes the small flower from his hands.



“Hey, don’t I get anything?” Jalisa jokes playfully.



“Sure you do!” Howie says as he and Brian each gave her a kiss on her cheek.



“Well guys enough joking around. Onto the stage, my little girl ain’t getting any younger now.” Lawrence says smiling as Howie gulps down the nervousness that is tickling his stomach.

~**~



**~TO BE CONTINUED…~**