- Text Size +
“A Hero’s Heart”



**~A Hero can live right next door~**



**~Chapter Eight- Wanna be famous?~**



-July 28th 2001. 6:25PM. New York City, New York. 42nd street, Times Square. Amery Restaurant.



The last note hung in the air as Brian sings the last word followed by the chorus of the other guys in beautiful harmony. “Everything you do is beautiful to meeee.” Brian sings. They end the song and smile as the audience erupts in a thunderous applause.



Jalisa whistles as Skye screams out in joy. Rain claps hard and jumps in happiness.



Chief Lawrence could feel his jaw drop in pure surprise as he watched the five men walk off stage blushing and laughing in pure excitement. “That was truly amazing!” He said softly to Howie who walked by smiling.



“Thanks I didn’t think we were that good, I mean I almost choked up there seeing all of you looking at me.” Howie mutters a bit embarrassed.



Lieutenant Darrel grins madly at the five men, “WOW, is all I can say! Your voices, man you guys rock out there!” He states as he shakes the hands of the five men.



A.J. chuckled and looks over to where Skye is standing with her hand over her mouth in pure surprise. “What, look man. I know we didn’t practice as much as we did. But did we really sound that bad that we left you speechless?” he asks grinning silly at her.



Skye shakes her head no and manages to speak. Forming her words carefully she states softly, “That was the best performance I’ve ever seen from anyone. You rocked it on stage and your voices all together send shivers down my back. You sound so beautiful up there!”



A.J. grins and bows, “Thanks I guess. It’s weird, I never knew we sounded as good as we did. It’s like destiny or something. Skye, how about me and you go ditch this place for a few minutes. I wanna take a breather.”



Skye smiles and whispers softly, “Why yes, did you even have to ask?” Her haunting green eyes shimmer wonderfully in the soft restaurant’s light.



A.J. smiles and grabs her hand as they walk out the restaurant and down the pier dock located two blocks down from it. The evening sun casts a stunning glow of orange and red across the sky. They stop near the black railing that divides them from entering the ocean. The water ripples the sunlight and reflects its beauty in Skye’s eyes.



A.J. smiles and turns to her. “Do you really mean that?”



“Mean what?” Skye gazes at him as she inhales the fresh ocean scent softly.



“That we sounded that good.” A.J. states, his chocolate eyes burning into her emerald ones.



Skye nods her head, “Yes! Why you asking? Sounds hard to believe.”



He nods his head, “Somewhat. It’s just that well see the other guys don’t know this but I always wanted to know what it would be like to be famous.”



Skye chuckles, “Alex, you are famous in a different way. Don’t you see everyday you risk your life to save others. You saved my life and I’m grateful for it. You are famous to me. Whether you sing or not.” She says feeling her cheeks burn with embarrassment.



A.J. smirks, “Thanks girl. I needed to hear that. Sometimes I daydream and fantasize what it would be like if I were famous.”



Skye rubs A.J.’s shoulder in comfort, “I’m sure you’re not missing much. Most of those people look unhappy even with all the money they have.”



A.J. nods his head, “Yeah, I guess so. We should head back now, before Nick sends out a lost and found team to hunt us down.”



“That kinda sounds exciting.” Skye states giggling as her blond locks blow gently from the warm breeze. Her snowy complexion seems golden as the sun’s ray hit her skin.



“By the way I forgot to mention you look beautiful tonight.” A.J. whispers in her ear as they begin walking down the street back to the restaurant.



Skye smiles as she runs her fingers down her beige loose flowing skirt tied in a small bow in the back. She fixes her gold necklace in scripted with her name on it as she adjusts her black off the shoulder shirt. “Thanks I tried.”



A.J. laughs as he playfully bumps her on her hip with his.



“Hey!” She squeals in surprise. “That’s not fair, I almost fell.”



“Well life isn’t fair all the times.” A.J. states as they make their way to the restaurant laughing.

~*~



Brian sees the employers in the restaurant speaking at how wonderful their performance was on stage. Brian felt stunned in a happy way. He didn’t think the singing would create such a buzz, but he was happy it did. He hears heels clicking behind him as Jalisa places her hand on his shoulder, “Hey you alright? I’m thinking we could have a little festivity back at the station with the others to celebrate our singers.”



Brian laughs, his ocean blue eyes twinkling in delight. “I would love that. Wow, I can’t believe we sounded that great.”



“And I heard it’s on camera so we get to see it when we get back to the station.” Kevin states, his emerald eyes glittering in delight.



Brian smiles as he looks at Nick who’s getting the attention of a few women employers and young teenage girls.



“One performance and the kid thinks he’s famous.” Howie states laughing. His short dark brown locks lies gently on his head.



Laughing, Chief Lawrence claps his hands. “I gotta admit, you guys took my breathe away. My little girl won’t stop talking about you.”



Brian smiles as he runs his hands through his sandy blonde hair, ‘Thanks chief…”



Chief Lawrence interrupts him, “Call me Mark, Lawrence sounds so professional. We’re not at work Littrel.”



Brian laughs at the statement as he gathers around the table to sing happy birthday to Erica, the chief’s daughter.

~*~

-July 28th 2001. 10:05 PM. New York City, New York. Central Park West. 23rd street. Fire company twelve.



Yawning, Howie flips through the channels aimlessly until he lands on the channel 11 news.



“Found anything interesting D.” Nick states as he enters in the lounge room.



“Nope, just the good ol’ news.” Howie states, staring at the television lazily.



“Oh, ok then.” Nick responds as he plops down the black worn furry sofa besides Howie. “Flip to comedy central, I wanna see what they’re giving.”



“No, I wanna see that.” Howie grumbles softly.



Nick rolls his eyes, “Look D, ain’t nothing on the news, flip to an interesting channel. I wanna see if they’re giving South Park.” As he passes his towel over his wet hair which he just washed in the shower.



Howie laughs, “You watch cartoons? Figures.”



Nick rolls his blue eyes and runs his blonde locks which tonight now hung wet and lazily on his head. “This is a dirty cartoon, for big people.” He states, batting his eyes at Howie.



Howie laughs and flings the remote to Nick. “Enjoy man, you scare me sometimes.”



Nick laughs and was about to change the channels when suddenly the reporter in the news states, “This just came in. A firehouse down in Williamsburg, Brooklyn was just attacked by an arsonist. There seems to reports that the arsonist is picking random firehouses and burning it. Many innocent victims who had their houses burn down all seem to live nearby or are connected to the arsonist in some way or another. No one is hurt from the fires but plenty of houses are burnt down and more than ten families already are left with out a place to live due the arsonist. Fire stations are taking precautions to prepare for the arsonist attacks. No leading suspects are found leading to the arsonist. Police claim the mafia could somehow be involved in the actions but no further reports are settled or confirmed yet. This is Monique Alverez reporting to you live from Williamsburg, Brooklyn at fire station nine.”



Nick drops the remote on the royal blue carpet and stares at Howie, “Damn man. An arsonist? Could that be the one Jalisa mentioned before? I thought Kevin would handle it. Whoever is doing it could be coming for all the other fire stations and we could be next on the list!” He states as a trail of fear traces down his spine.



“Let’s not think that way. If the person is working with the mafia as the reporter states, we could be in bigger trouble than we think.” Howie whispers softly as he watches the animated cartoons before him in the TV.



“Hey guys, time to go to bed. Early morning tomorrow. We have a special meeting due to the arsonist attacks at eight tomorrow.” Kevin states leaning in the doorway and before closing the door whispers, “Good night guys, see ya in the morning.”



Nick gulps and stares at Howie. Howie bites on his lower lip and turns off the television nervously.



“Sleep, he wants me to sleep after what I just heard! Oh yeah, it’ll be easy to get some sleep tonight now won’t it?” Nick mumbles as he rubs his arms from the sudden chills the news on the T.V. gave him.



“Let’s hope sleep is the only thing we’ll have to worry about. See ya later Nicky. I’m gonna talk to Brian about this.” And with that, Howie leaves the lounge room leaving Nick on his own. Nick walks out the lounge room and flips of the lights before leaving to head to his room. He would talk with A.J. about this. There was a nagging feeling hidden deep in his stomach that something worse than the arsonist will occur but he lets the feeling pass and makes his way up the stairs to find A.J.

~**~



**~TO BE CONTINUED…~**