- Text Size +
“A Hero’s Heart”



~A Hero Can Live right next door.”



~Chapter Nine- Unions In Fear



- July 28th 2001. 10:15 PM. New York City, New York. Central Park West, 23rd street. Fire Company twelve station.



He opens the door slowly to see A.J. reading a magazine. He squints his ocean blue eyes in the bright florescent light, smiling as he throws himself on the top bunk, landing on his stomach. A.J. looks up from the rug and laughs.



“Yo, what’s up man?” A.J. states grinning, his chocolate eyes glittering in glee.



Nick yawns and informs A.J. of the meeting tomorrow with the company.



“I know, I heard. Nick, you think something bad is gonna happen?” A.J. asks so softly that Nick had to ask if he could repeat.



Nick signs and rolls his eyes, whispering he states, “I think something more worse is gonna happen. I mean the whole arsonist thing is pretty freaky. We could be asleep and a fire could break out in here. But I’m thinking something else, like something, I don’t know. But it’s a feeling inside me that’s letting me know something isn’t all right.”



A feminine voice responds back through the crack of the bedroom door, “That would be called female intuition. I didn’t know you had that.” Giggles Jalisa as she enters the room. Her light brown eyes twinkling in the light.



Laughing the guys stare at her as she states that the meeting has been pushed up to 7:30 in the morning.



“7:30! What? Oh man. I just lost a good thirty minutes of sleep right there.” Grumbles A.J. as he flings his magazine onto of a small dresser.



Jalisa smiles and states, “Night guys.” And with that she closes the door and leaves.



A.J. shuffles in the room as he makes his way to his bed. “Nick I gotta say we did good tonight. You know I heard there was record producer in the restaurant that wanted us to sign.”



Nick laughs, “Oh yeah, like we could be singers.” He states sarcastically.



A.J. chuckles, “I would think we make pretty good singers.”



Nick snorts and laughs, “Sure and we could be famous one day.”



“Hey I don’t like the sarcastic tone coming from your voice.” A.J. says chuckling.



“I see what being famous does to a person personally.” Mumbles Nick.



This caught A.J.’s interest, “Really? Who do you know that’s famous? Oh let me guess that rock group you always talking about right?”



Nick rolls his eyes and places his head under his pillow. “A.J. Let it rest. I’m going to sleep.”



He hears A.J. suck his teeth, “You don’t know anybody famous Carter. Cause if you did why don’t you answer?”



Nick grumbles and states loudly, “Night A.J.”



A.J. grumbles, “You just trying to avoid the question. I know you Nicky boy. But fine leave it at that. But you owe me Nick!” He hears A.J. yawning as he turns off the light. “Night Nick.”



Nick mumbles a goodnight under his pillow as he falls into a fitful sleep.

~*~

Howie walks in the room to see Brian on the phone. Howie tiredly walks over to his full size bed and throws himself on it, burying his warm body under the cool white sheets. He throws the cool thin cotton blanket over his head as Brian hangs up the phone and turns off the light.



“You didn’t think I would let you go to sleep without us talking first right?” Brian states flopping on his own full size bed across from Howie’s.



Howie grumbles and sticks his head out from under the covers. His short brown locks sticks up from his head in small tangle locks. He squints as Brian chuckles and pulls out a small camera snapping a picture of Howie.



Howie blinks hard and stares at Brian angrily.



“What, aw come on man, you look so adorable. I’m sure the rest of the company wants to how cute you look.” Brian states in a high pitch female voice, laughing.



Howie sulks and sticks his head back under the covers as Brian turns off the light in the room and plops down his own bed. “D before you go to sleep. What do think about this whole arsonist thing?”



Howie gulps and peers his head from the under the covers. Gulping he responses, “I don’t know. This just came out of the blue. Now I feel like we should be on guard at all times, cause the manic could be out there ready to take us down.”



Brian gulps and slides beneath his cotton white covers. “I’m thinking something else might be up as well. Like what we’re facing isn’t a big deal compared to what could happen later on.”



Howie stares at the darken room to see the moonlight tracing the figure of his friend Brian. He states at Brian’s silhouette, “I’ve been feeling like that too. I wanna ask Kevin about all this, but I don’t wanna alarm him.”



“Yeah well, until we get this manic guy I won’t be getting any good sleep just to let you know.” Brian states as he hits his head on the pillow and falls asleep.



Howie stares at the sleeping figure of Brian and pulls the covers his own head and waits for sleep to capture his body for tonight.

~*~



He paces in his room back and forth and sits on the edge of the bed. He runs his fingers through his black spikes and lies on his back on the soft bed. He stares at the cream ceiling, his emerald eyes gazing softly in the darkness. Thoughts swirled in his mind about the arsonist, the meeting tomorrow and his safety. Now after all this, he just received some startling news that the government is asking to be prepared for any attacks that could be terrorist. Gulping he stares at a framed picture of him and his wife on his small night stand next to the bed.



“Baby, I’ll make it home to you soon. I promise.” Kevin states as he sighs and closes his eyes. Fear runs through his body as chills tickle his spine. He faces the picture and kisses it. Knowing that’s the only sane thing he has left in his life right now.

~**~



**~To Be Continued…~**