- Text Size +
Downtime - Chapter 1

”Phew, finally,” Brian said as he tossed a pair of socks into his Samsonite. “I canīt wait to go back.” Happiness shone in his voice and his cousin agreed.


“Yeah there's nothing better than spending time with your family on Thanksgiving.” The Kentuckian smiled.


“Wonder if Aunt Martha will be at the dinner this year, with her Peacan pie?” Brian said with a dreaming expression.


“Yeah and Uncle Fritz will tell his stories about how he went to the sea.”


“Like he ever did that, Aunt Martha once told me that the furthest he ever crossed a water was over the Mississippi River.” The both of them laughed. “At least he is fun to listen to.”


A cough interrupted their conversation and they both turned to look over at the young blonde that was sitting in the hotel room, engrossed in playing Nintendo. Kevin mouthed the word “Nick?” to Brian and he shook his head. No more words had to be said.


Brian felt bad when thinking about how he would enjoy Thanksgiving when Nick would go back to a practically empty house. The fifteen year old needed someone to look after him, but his parents were currently touring with his younger brother and this left him alone with his uncle. Brian knew that even if Nick didnīt show it he was still upset over the fact that he wasnīt celebrating together with his parents.


As if the teenager felt that they were talking about him he turned on his head, “What?”


“Oh nothing,” Brian turned back to his packing, not wanting to take up the conversation. He felt bad for his friend, yet there was nothing he could do.


Nick mumbled a short “Whatever,” before sinking back to the world of Mario again.


Kevin and Brian looked at each other one more time before the older man left the room. Once they were alone Nick asked Brian, “Who is Uncle Fritz and Aunt Martha?”


“Just a pair of two original characters that we have in the family,” Brian laughed, “they are really goofy and we usually spend Thanksgiving together with them, as well as Kevin's family and alot of different people.”


“Oh!” At the word Thanksgiving and different people Nick's eyes darkened momentarily and he said in a low voice, “We used to have lots of people at Thanksgiving too. Like my uncles and aunts and grandma and..that was when mom and dad had the restaurant. I remember it and it was such a blast.” He went silent again, like he was thinking about the “Good olīdays.”


As Brian watched his friend's face an idea suddenly struck him. He would ask his parents if he could invite Nick over for the holidays. He was sure that they had nothing against it since they had come to like the teen like one of their own. Nick would be so happy. And a week wasnīt too long of a time either and heīd been more than happy to spend it with Nick. Even if it was going to be 24/7. With that in mind Brian rose from the floor.


“Where are you going?” Nick asked when he saw his friend leave.


“Just asking Kev a thing. Iīll be right back.”


“Okay,” Nick turned his attention back to the tv game as Brian snuck out of the room.



**********************

“Yes mom, Iīm fine..no..yes..well...moooom,” Brian was dragging out of the syllabels like he always did when he was going to ask for something. Even tough he was 21 he still had a habit of doing this and he mentally slapped himself for being such a coward. It wasnīt that he was afraid of his family, no on the contrary, but it came with his upbringing to ask for permission before doing anything. It was good manners.


“I was wondering if it would be ok if Nick came with me home for Thanksgiving. He doesnīt have his parents at home and I was thinking...really...that is so great. I'll tell him that and he'll be so happy.” Brian's face shone as he listened to what his mom had to say. It was no problem, in fact the Littrell's would be more than happy to room their son's best friend for the upcoming week.


Happy over the decision, Brian returned back to his friend who was still sitting in the same position as he had left him.


“Nick?” he said, his voice startled the blonde who jumped 20 feet.


“Jeeze Frick, you scared the shit out of me,” he said as he regained control over the game again.


“I hope not,” Brian grinned, “Well I have some great news. Mom and Dad want you to come with us and spend Thanksgiving during our downtime.” He waited for the positive reaction that would follow and frowned when no such thing appeared.


Instead Nick said with slow voice, “Did you call them to ask?”


“Yeah,” Brian felt confused, “but that doesnīt matter. They were really happy when they heard that you were coming too.”


Nick stood up, anger in his eyes, “You didnīt have to do that,” he looked hurt. “I can manage on my own. Youīre not my babysitter!” With that he stormed out of the room, leaving a surprised and even more confused Brian. Nick was being moody, but that had been totally uncalled for. With a sigh he turned back to his packing.


Knowing his friend Nick would soon be back, apologizing, yet he was puzzled by the strange behavoir. Didnīt Nick want to spend time with him? Didnīt he like his parents?


This was not the impression that he got over the years, instead Nick had often talked with his mom and he knew that the teen loved his mothers home cooking. Last year Nick had spent a few days over at his family's house and that had been some pretty good days. Nick hadnīt wanted to leave when it was time to go back on the road and this attitude that he now showed had Brian totally out for loop.


They had been touring on and off in Europe the past years and leaving Germany for about a week off was something they were all looking forward to. Brian, who shared apartment with Howie and AJ would go to Orlando for a few days after spending time with his family. Afterwards they would return to Germany and Great Britain for a winter tour. It was a busy schedule.


Suddenly the door opened and AJ came in, “Brian do you know whatīs the matter with Nick?” He sounded a bit worried.


“What happened?”


“I donīt know. He just came busting in, saying that he was so pissed at everybody that butted into his life. Howie made him calm down and they are talking right now. You know anything more?”


Brian sighed, “I asked him if he wanted to come with me back home and celebrate Thanksgiving with my family and then he totally freaked out and left the room. I donīt know what I did wrong.”


“Probably nothing. You know Kaos, he can get worked up over nothing and he's a moody teen you have to search for.”


“Yeah I know,” Brian nodded. Still he wasnīt satisfied. “He got pretty upset when he heard that I had called my mom.”


“I wouldnīt worry. He is probably pissed beacuse his own parents are not with him and now he doesnīt want to bother someone else.” AJ said as it was the most natural thing in the world, “You know the family issue is kind of sore to him.”


“Yes,” Brian stopped momentarily with his packing, jeans in hands. “Maybe I should go and talk to him then.”


“No, leave it to D’. He'll talk with him.”


“Youīre probably right.” Besides him, Howie was the other person that Nick would turn to when he needed to talk. It hurt a bit that his friend turned to the Latino instead of him when it came to matters like this. Yet he knew that Nick was very sensitive when it came to his family. Brian thought that Nick's family neglected him too much and he knew how sad it left him. Nick depended on his family, but lately they hadnīt been there so much for him. Instead Nick's Uncle John went touring with them on and off and when he wasnīt with them Nick turned to Brian for help and support.


He also knew that Nick hated to be a nuisance for anyone, at least when it came to spending time with the other boys families. He had watched one too many times Frack being alone at some event and the other guys families had been there to support them. Things like this could make a torn in ones side, this he knew.


“Iīm gonna go and see how they are doing,” AJ said when Brian had been silent much too long. The only response he got was a nod.


As the evening passed Nick avoided Brian deliberately. This left the Kentuckian more and more confused. Finally when the blonde even walked around him, he thought it was fit to make a confrontation.


“Nick,” Brian said as he walked up to the coach where his friend was seated. They had one of their endless meetings over the upcoming schedule and had taken a short break. “We need to talk.”


“Aha,” Nick pretended to be engrossed in a magazine and Brian took it resolutely away. “Hey I was reading that,” he said irritated.


“Too bad. Listen, if you donīt want to come with me to Lexington all you have to do is to say so. Moping around feeling sorry for your self wonīt cut it.” The words were harsh. He was waiting for Nick to throw a fit, but the reaction were quite the opposite.


“Itīs..itīs not that,” the teen said, lip quivering. “Itīs just that..that..you dont have to do that.”


“Do what?”


“I mean..call your mom and so and ask if I can come and..” Nick's voice died down and Brian could swear that he saw the eyes tear momentarily. He felt bad for thinking that his friend didnīt want to come home with him.


“Oh itīs no biggie. They were so happy to hear that you were coming and..mom even decided to bake that chocolate cake that you liked so much.” He was throwing in a lie, about the chocolate cake, but it was worth it. And he also knew that his mom would bake that cake without blinking when Nick had arrived.


“Really?” Nicks face lit up, “In that case Iīm coming.” He smiled widely, and as he did so Brian noticed how his whole posture had changed. There had been a misjudgement as Nick was more than happy to go over at his folks house.


“Ok, call your parents and then itīs settled.” Brian smiled. In the corner of his eye he could see that both Howie and AJ did tumbs up. They knew how much this would mean to Nick.


Nicks face darkened.


“What?”


“Eh..what if..if they wonīt let me stay with you?” he said fingering nervously at the corner of the magazine.


“Then mom can call Jane and talk to her. Ok?” Brian was a person that always came up to soloutions to problems and this was no exception.


“You think it would work?” Nick sounded skeptical.


“God Nick,” AJ butted in, “ Why do you always assume the worst?”


“Beacuse you donīt know my mom,” he whined.


“Listen, your mom will think itīs a great idea. Trust me!” Now Howie was filling into the conversation as well.


Nick seemed relaxed for a moment. “Ok,” he agreed, “Iīm going to call her. But I dont have too much hope.” The other nodded as the teen disappeared outside to make his call. Less than five minutes later he appeared in the door, eyes shining, face glowing.


“She said YES!” he laughed, giving Brian a bearhug, “Iīm going to your place!”


“Great,” Brian grinned as he ruffled his friends hair.


“We'll have a blast!”